A Tradition Unlike Any Other...The Masters

A Tradition Unlike Any Other...The Masters

Postby TheFlyingWasp » 06 Apr 2005, 13:23

Alright, I know there are some people out there who watch golf. Any thoughts on The Masters? I've got plenty. I'd love it if some people shared who they like, who they don't like, and talk about the tradition that is Augusta.
TheFlyingWasp
Hope College Alum

Postby Frank the Tank » 06 Apr 2005, 13:28

I like golf but the Masters is a little stuffy for my tastes. I'm still mad at them for banning McCord so many years back, even though I'm not a McCord fan. They still do many of the little things right, like keeping concessions fairly priced, but I wish Augusta National didn't think quite so highly of itself. The U.S. Open courses recently have been absolutely ridiculous in terms of difficulty, worrying too much about preserving par instead of being a fair test of golf. My favorite major is the British Open, which I view as golf the way it was meant to be played. No nicely manicured "sand traps" there, only truly punishing bunkers.

As for the field I'm going on record as saying it's Padraig Harrington's year. He wins by 2 strokes.
Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet

Postby mister bacon » 06 Apr 2005, 13:31

I love the Masters, I know nothing about Golf, but I watch all of Sunday and at least half of Saturdays action usually. I'm rooting for Els or Tiger. I hate the Hefty Lefty and his bouncing man titties coming up the fairway.. he just pisses me off for some reason.

Vijay Singh is a dick who didn't even say good morning to his caddy, but I do appreciate his skills.

My top 5:

1) Els
2) Weir
3) Tiger
4) Phil
5) Vijay

Again, I know nothing about golf, I am fully talking out of my ass.

unlike goggles, who TAKES it in the ass.
2006 SOTSG ESPN March Madness Tourney Challenge Champion
2010 SOTSG NFL Pick 'Em Champion

TheWolf wrote: Being a douche is a very expensive hobby.

ctz31 - Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:30 pm: I'm gonna win a chip w romo. I'm done w blacks. No offense
mister bacon
Black on Both Sides

Postby Frank the Tank » 06 Apr 2005, 13:33

I do give the Masters a lot of credit for not over-promoting themselves, and the 56 minutes of coverage every hour is awesome.

Edit: I see that Colin Montgomerie missed the field. That doesn't make me sad one bit.
Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet

Postby TheWolf » 06 Apr 2005, 13:38

I do enjoy the Masters. I don't understand what makes it so special compared to other traditions though. I think you could make the argument that it's a tradition like a lot of others, but that's just my opinion.

I don't really root hard for any particular golfer. I've always been a Fred Couples fan for some reason, but he hasn't won anything in years, so I'm not expecting him to change that any time soon. I also don't even know if he's playing in the Masters, but I assume he is. I'll try to tune in for some of the action this weekend, but again, I'm not really rooting for anyone.
"our kayaking guy sucked and came last"
- SGSW
TheWolf
Hand-Holder

Postby Dunking Donut » 06 Apr 2005, 13:41

I'll be watching tons of it on TV this weekend.

I enjoy the Masters a lot. Mainly because people get so worked up about it. The course looks great and the coverage is top notch. It's probably my favorite tournament with the US Open just behind.

I'm sure someone will surprise me a make a run out of the gate. Right now, Tiger and Lefty look really good and would have to be my picks to win.
Dunking Donut
The Bomb Dick

Postby TheFlyingWasp » 06 Apr 2005, 13:51

TheWolf wrote:I do enjoy the Masters. I don't understand what makes it so special compared to other traditions though. I think you could make the argument that it's a tradition like a lot of others, but that's just my opinion.

I don't really root hard for any particular golfer. I've always been a Fred Couples fan for some reason, but he hasn't won anything in years, so I'm not expecting him to change that any time soon. I also don't even know if he's playing in the Masters, but I assume he is. I'll try to tune in for some of the action this weekend, but again, I'm not really rooting for anyone.

Freddy won the Shell Houston Open in 2003 in the backyard of his college days at the University of Houston where he was roommates with Jim Nantz.

Also Freddy will always be at Augusta considering he won The Masters in 1992 and still holds the longest active cut streak at Augusta.

I would love to see Boom Boom win again, but I think his best days are behind him. I, too, love the sweet swinging Freddy C.

As hokey as The Masters is, you've got to love the hushed Jim Nantz play-by-play. Yeah, it's contrived, but it all relates to back to the history and stuffiness of Augusta.
TheFlyingWasp
Hope College Alum

Postby TheWolf » 06 Apr 2005, 14:03

I just assumed Freddy would be there as a former champ. But I haven't really been following golf much this year. Didn't know if he might be hurt or something that I don't know about.
"our kayaking guy sucked and came last"
- SGSW
TheWolf
Hand-Holder

Postby JohnnyDamon » 06 Apr 2005, 14:49

I'm personally partial to Verne Lundquist on the 16th green, being really quiet, then going, "AND MICKELSON BIRDIES!!!!! OH MY GOODNESS!!!!"

Personally, I'm gonna pick Tiger to win the Masters this year, by 2 shots over Phil and Vijay.
I've grown so used to you somehow, Lord I'm nobody's sugar daddy now, and I'm lo-oo-onesome, I've got the lovesick blues.
JohnnyDamon
The Bomb Dick

Postby Snake » 06 Apr 2005, 16:25

As golf tournaments go the Masters is by far the best, but then again it is a golf tournament, so that sucks. Also, Martha Burk is the reason people hate feminists. There are countries in this world where women are beaten senseless by their husbands every day without any repercussions, and she's putting all this effort into getting women the right to join a club that 99.9% of men couldn't get into?
Let me be very clear. I AM NOT A 49ers FAN!!!

I am the Beer Pong Jesus. If you want a shot at my title, bring it on. BPong.com

~Keep fighting the good fight to get someone else nicknamed Jake the Snake

~Peyton Manning SUCKS
Snake
Basketball Jesus

Postby TheFlyingWasp » 06 Apr 2005, 16:49

Snake wrote:As golf tournaments go the Masters is by far the best, but then again it is a golf tournament, so that sucks. Also, Martha Burk is the reason people hate feminists. There are countries in this world where women are beaten senseless by their husbands every day without any repercussions, and she's putting all this effort into getting women the right to join a club that 99.9% of men couldn't get into?

Well said...

I love Bobby Clampett's call, "Center cut."

Any shot in the middle of the fairway, "Center cut." A putt that drops, "Center cut." The Masters baby.
TheFlyingWasp
Hope College Alum

Postby jack_daniels » 06 Apr 2005, 22:56

I watch the higlights on Sportscentre. Looks riveting, but don't think I can sit through it.

My 5:
1)Singh(he's an anemic yeah, but he's brown. So there.)
2)Weir(Won in 2003 and Canadian. Still got high hopes for him.)
I don't care about anyone else but
3)Ernie(he's south african, and one of my ex's was an Afrikaner, so I'll be rooting for him).
4)Phil"Fat fuckin ass" Mickelson(I don't like him but.....)
5)Tiger(....I hate him more. Die slowly Tiger. Better yet, die quickly, that way you'll be dead and you won't be breathing in any of this Earth's oxygen. Bitch).
jack_daniels
Turban Legend

Postby Snake » 06 Apr 2005, 23:42

Oh yea I didn't give my 5:

1. Lefty - gotta love the defending champ, and he played well this past weekend
2. Tiger - he's Tiger man.
3. Vijay - should have 3 wins already, but he's done some very un-Vijay things to cost himself 2 wins, that's a bad sign going into the Masters
4. Easy E- eh, I just like calling him that.
5. Jack Nicklaus - fuck if I know anything about golf, but he's pretty good from what I understand.
Let me be very clear. I AM NOT A 49ers FAN!!!

I am the Beer Pong Jesus. If you want a shot at my title, bring it on. BPong.com

~Keep fighting the good fight to get someone else nicknamed Jake the Snake

~Peyton Manning SUCKS
Snake
Basketball Jesus

Postby fatty » 07 Apr 2005, 20:49

For those of you stuck working or without cable (mine just got turned on today, THANK GOD), you can follow the masters leaders here.

As for favorites, I've been a mickelson guy for a long time, maybe it's the lefty (my pops stands on the wrong side too), maybe it's the AZ connection, maybe it's the "fuck it, I'm going for it" approach, but I always find myself pulling for him. I also like Furyk, Weir (but that pre-shot BS drives me nuts), DL-cubed, and, like Snake, I hear that Nicklas guy is pretty good. And I think he's won it before.

BTW, anyone know what lefty served for the Champions dinner?? With his so-cal and ASU roots, I'mbetting fish tacos and discreeto burritos.
"I remember reading that he (Jeffrey Maier) went to a mets camp a couple years back and Tony Tarasco was there....If I was him, when no one was lookin, I'd violate him in the bathroom with a metal bat." - Tremendous_side Potential
fatty
Smartest Guy In The Room

Location: velvet bob ross knows not the physical limits of "location"

Postby Scoring Machine » 07 Apr 2005, 22:16

Vijay or Grey Goosen

Tiger putted the ball into a water hazard today! Clutch!
2005 SOTSG Fantasy Baseball Champion
05-06 SOTSG Fantasy Hoops Champion
2006 SOTSG Fantasy Golf Champion

Q. How do they practice safe sex at Oregon State?
A. By placing a warning sign on the animals that kick
Scoring Machine
Etiquette Instructor

Next

Return to Other Sports