The Hunting Thread

The Hunting Thread

Postby nerf66 » 29 Dec 2017, 16:11

My second full season of hunting is coming to an end. It's something I really enjoy. If you haven't grown up in a family that hunts or if you don't have some sort of a hunting mentor, getting started is overwhelming. I know because I essentially had to teach myself.

I'm starting this thread for many reasons, but mostly as a resource for anyone interested in hunting but doesn't know where to start. The second reason would be to introduce folks to the idea that wild game is a natural resource we can all enjoy and that it needs to be properly managed and protected. The third reason is because the struggle of not knowing where to start is still relatively fresh in my mind. Fourth reason is just to share something I really enjoy. Fifth reason - I'm proud that I set my mind to something and did it, especially something that typically isn't picked up when you're 40ish.

I am still a beginner...just a little further along in the process.

If you don't like hunting, that's 100% fine. Post your opinion if you want. It's valid.

Here's a video I've watched several times of an elk hunt with Joe Rogan and Cameron Hanes. Elk bugles are nuts. And I've never heard one in the wild despite having elk hunted. haha.

BostonSucksMyBalls - Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:42 am: my disdain for 66 stems from posters saying how great a poster he was. I never saw it. He has never made an interesting post or comment, imo.
nerf66
Yellow Jacket

Re: The Hunting Thread

Postby chrisco » 29 Dec 2017, 16:30

Being a coastal New Englander, hunting is a foreign concept to me. Give me a rod and I'll try to pull just about anything out of the ocean (my mileage varies widely on this, but I got the basics down). On the other hand, if someone told me I had 6 hours to bring home an animal I killed or something horrible would happen to my family, my only real option would be to run one over with a car.

So congrats to you for picking this up and taking enjoyment from it.
BostonSucksMyBalls - Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:03 am: I listen bc ive listened for about 25 years. I need to see this stupid thing thru.
chrisco
Madoff

Postby nerf66 » 31 Dec 2017, 22:28

Sous Vide test flight.

15 ounces of Deer loin. Butterflied and vacuum sealed. Plan: 123.5 degrees for 45 min then sear in cast iron. Quick note: this is not my deer. A friend gave me this as well as some other game meat because he's cleaning out his freezer. He has another hunt coming up in January and wanted to make room. I remember when he shot this deer down in Texas and the details around the hunt. I like knowing the story of the food I eat/cook. :gay: Also, this meat has been in the freezer about a year. A common misconception I held was that freezing meat changed the taste and made it not as good. The past two years have proven that to be untrue. I don't think I could tell the difference between this meat or something that had been in the freezer 2 weeks.

ANOVA (name of the contraption) Actual temp up top, set temp below, and the venison submerged. This thing is pretty badass. It links via wifi and you can control temp and time. It's also quiet. I put the pot on the stove just because that's a good clear surface to cook on...but since the pot isn't getting over 123.5 degrees I could have put it on the counter. Kind of nice to be able to move it wherever.

Welp, meat is done, time for sear.

Cast iron as hot as it can get. 30 seconds a side to get a decent crust.

Perfect medium rare throughout - from edge to edge.
BostonSucksMyBalls - Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:42 am: my disdain for 66 stems from posters saying how great a poster he was. I never saw it. He has never made an interesting post or comment, imo.
nerf66
Yellow Jacket

Postby TheWolf » 02 Jan 2018, 11:36

That looks pretty damn delicious. Good work, and TY for sharing.
"our kayaking guy sucked and came last"
- SGSW
TheWolf
Hand-Holder

Return to Other Sports