Most Hated Sports Personality

Re: Most Hated Sports Personality

Postby The Long Dick of the Law » 03 Oct 2017, 13:04

Bryce Harper attended college!
mister bacon love watching soccer. baseball is about as exciting as scratching my balls.
MisterTambourineMan you're not scratching your balls right, then.
The Long Dick of the Law
TRU Patriot

Postby the cheese » 03 Oct 2017, 14:01

The Long Dick of the Law wrote:Bryce Harper attended college!

Ah yes, that's the deal. He got his GED after his sophomore year, then went to a wooden bat JUCO and played a year. He was drafted into the pros before he turned 18 or what would have been his senior year of HS.
Clayton Bigsby - Wed May 23, 2012 2:55 pm: i'd rather live with a guy who's kind of annoying but a nice guy than a guy who's kind of annoying and a dick
the cheese
The Douche

Postby nova » 04 Oct 2017, 10:59

Gregs Kite wrote:
nova wrote:
Gregs Kite wrote:None of this strikes you guys as fucked up?

Short answer: no.

The laughable concept of amateurism allows schools and apparel companies to make boatloads of money. At least this way, some of this benefit trickles down to the actual player. The real issue is the lack of oversight and governance. In an era where everything is monetized, I think it's extremely archaic to keep teenagers from earning thousands, if not millions, of dollars if someone is willing to give it to them. By making it against the rules, you're putting more risk on the students to trust people who could totally endanger their future. If some booster wants to pay a kid a hundred thousand dollars, who are we to stop them? There are a finite number of scholarships per team; you're not going to see 15 kids go to Oklahoma State because T. Boone Pickens is paying them a million each.

I'm talking specifically about kids not finishing high school. I mean, the horse has already left the barn for college athletics, but does this open a new can of worms? Yank the kids out in 10th grade? 9th? As soon as Uncle Slangin sees the check clear from adidas?

It's going to depend on the kid. Someone like Lamelo Ball has the resources and guidance above him to make sure he stays the course and can qualify (if he desires) for college sports. This becomes an issue when you've got borderline talents leaving high school early, not qualifying for colleges, and becoming that guy in your community who could have gone to the league had he stayed in school. That's the challenge with the NCAA's amateurism; it's not going to be a one-size fits all application. Lamelo Ball has the opportunity to have a signature shoe for sale to the masses, but can't because it would jeopardize his amateur status. Not because of anything he has done, specifically, but because his brother is famous and he can glom onto his success.
Jew Jitsu: It's like you guys are incompatible with each other but have to make due cause you can't pull out.
nova
Thrifty Negro

Postby babylurch » 04 Oct 2017, 12:22

nova wrote:
Gregs Kite wrote:
nova wrote:

The laughable concept of amateurism allows schools and apparel companies to make boatloads of money. At least this way, some of this benefit trickles down to the actual player. The real issue is the lack of oversight and governance. In an era where everything is monetized, I think it's extremely archaic to keep teenagers from earning thousands, if not millions, of dollars if someone is willing to give it to them. By making it against the rules, you're putting more risk on the students to trust people who could totally endanger their future. If some booster wants to pay a kid a hundred thousand dollars, who are we to stop them? There are a finite number of scholarships per team; you're not going to see 15 kids go to Oklahoma State because T. Boone Pickens is paying them a million each.

I'm talking specifically about kids not finishing high school. I mean, the horse has already left the barn for college athletics, but does this open a new can of worms? Yank the kids out in 10th grade? 9th? As soon as Uncle Slangin sees the check clear from adidas?

It's going to depend on the kid. Someone like Lamelo Ball has the resources and guidance above him to make sure he stays the course and can qualify (if he desires) for college sports. This becomes an issue when you've got borderline talents leaving high school early, not qualifying for colleges, and becoming that guy in your community who could have gone to the league had he stayed in school. That's the challenge with the NCAA's amateurism; it's not going to be a one-size fits all application. Lamelo Ball has the opportunity to have a signature shoe for sale to the masses, but can't because it would jeopardize his amateur status. Not because of anything he has done, specifically, but because his brother is famous and he can glom onto his success.

Its always the borderline kids who get screwed.
2013 Jason McElwaine Regional Champion
babylurch
Basketball Jesus

Postby Gregs Kite » 04 Oct 2017, 12:26

nova wrote:
Gregs Kite wrote:
nova wrote:

That makes sense. Thank you.
Apr 22, 2015 3:49 pm Clayton Bigsby i enjoy sports

mister braycon - Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:00 pm: i need a man on the inside. do it shammy!

Frank the Tank wrote:If I die I leave my red font to Kite.
Gregs Kite
Friend of Friends

Previous

Return to Other Sports