Most Hated Sports Personality

Re: Most Hated Sports Personality

Postby Rodney Farva » 05 Apr 2017, 16:11

probably had to offer top slot to get him because apparently all the networks were on him. can't be as bad as simms.
You coin contrarian bro and say shit nonsense like this.
Rodney Farva
Your real father

Postby JichaelDick » 06 Apr 2017, 01:41

TVF wannabe wrote:I have heard that Simms and Nantz had a falling out.

I don't think Nantz is that great an anouncer

I'd actually agree, but the team is brought way down by Simms. Maybe Romo can help with this...a decent PBP guy can be made to look better by a good color guy.
TVF wannabe - Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:42 pm: ...a good rule of thumb is if you post some thing like that and IMS quickly jumps in with an uncomfortable reference you went too far
JichaelDick
Delightful Nutjob

Postby nova » 03 Oct 2017, 11:05

Lavar Ball to homeschool youngest son this year.

I both love and hate what Lavar is doing here. On one hand, I think most elite high school prospects would be better off forgoing their final year of high school, or even first year of college, and getting themselves hooked up with an nutritionist and a trainer to prepare them for the NBA. Could you imagine a guy like Anthony Davis if he came into the league with the additional 20-30 lbs he's put on since being drafted? Not to mention, the NBA game is different from high school and college; why not hook up with a guy like Tim Grover who has a proven track record of getting guys into the best shape? Taking Lamelo out of suburban, California public school basketball isn't the worst thing that could happen to him. I hate this move because Lavar is pretty much creating a situation where he ends up putting his son in a worse position when Steve Alford decides to not honor Lamelo's non-binding offer, and recruits over him for the Class of 2019. The man is a fucking maniac but he's stupid like a fox.
Jew Jitsu: It's like you guys are incompatible with each other but have to make due cause you can't pull out.
nova
Thrifty Negro

Postby mj3528 » 03 Oct 2017, 11:08

nova wrote:Lavar Ball to homeschool youngest son this year.

I both love and hate what Lavar is doing here. On one hand, I think most elite high school prospects would be better off forgoing their final year of high school, or even first year of college, and getting themselves hooked up with an nutritionist and a trainer to prepare them for the NBA. Could you imagine a guy like Anthony Davis if he came into the league with the additional 20-30 lbs he's put on since being drafted? Not to mention, the NBA game is different from high school and college; why not hook up with a guy like Tim Grover who has a proven track record of getting guys into the best shape? Taking Lamelo out of suburban, California public school basketball isn't the worst thing that could happen to him. I hate this move because Lavar is pretty much creating a situation where he ends up putting his son in a worse position when Steve Alford decides to not honor Lamelo's non-binding offer, and recruits over him for the Class of 2019. The man is a fucking maniac but he's stupid like a fox.

What is more important in high level basketball now, high school basketball or being on an elite AAU team? I am genuinely asking because I do not know the answer.

While I think some of what you say is true in theory, I am not sure it works in reality. Kind of like Mike Williams, that USC wide receiver taking a year off to challenge the NFL. Maurice Clarett too. He was the best running back I have seen in my lifetime at Ohio State. His year away from the game did him no favors.
2009 NFL Pick 'em Champion
SOTSG Fantasy Basketball (Almost Entirely) 2012 Champion
2015 SOTSG NFL Survivor Champion, Part 2
2015 SOTSG Death Pool Co-Champion
2017 SOTSG Fantasy Basketball Champion
mj3528
Never Forgotten

Postby The Long Dick of the Law » 03 Oct 2017, 11:09

mj3528 wrote:

What is more important in high level basketball now, high school basketball or being on an elite AAU team? I am genuinely asking because I do not know the answer.

While I think some of what you say is true in theory, I am not sure it works in reality. Kind of like Mike Williams, that USC wide receiver taking a year off to challenge the NFL. Maurice Clarett too. He was the best running back I have seen in my lifetime at Ohio State. His year away from the game did him no favors.

No way to prove one way or the other, obv, but do people think Brandon Jennings benefitted by playing overseas instead of frosh year of college?
mister bacon love watching soccer. baseball is about as exciting as scratching my balls.
MisterTambourineMan you're not scratching your balls right, then.
The Long Dick of the Law
TRU Patriot

Postby MisterTambourineMan » 03 Oct 2017, 11:13

The Long Dick of the Law wrote:
mj3528 wrote:

No way to prove one way or the other, obv, but do people think Brandon Jennings benefitted by playing overseas instead of frosh year of college?

Debatable. It didn't do that Jeremy Tyler kid any good though.

And Lavar is putting his son in a worse position by saying he's going to be the greatest basketball player ever. Kid is a 16 year old chucker. People are going to rain shit on him. And the kid ain't Anthony Davis, he's not even Ronnie Fields.

I can see the rest of your points though, I get it. But Lavar is a fucking maniac so fuck him. Like what's this shit with the HS coaches? What the fuck is the purpose of that?
Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:44 am SouthernYokel you can talk about whatever inane thing you want to if you can do it without being a dick
MisterTambourineMan
Now

Postby nova » 03 Oct 2017, 11:14

mj3528 wrote:

Unequivocally the answer is elite AAU. Unless you're playing in the DC Catholic league or one of the independents like Monteverde, Oak Hill or Findlay Prep, you're better off sitting out high school once you have high D-I interest. There's a kid from around here who averaged 37 points per game, and only got his first Division I offer in April after going to the school and playing in an open gym.
Jew Jitsu: It's like you guys are incompatible with each other but have to make due cause you can't pull out.
nova
Thrifty Negro

Postby MisterTambourineMan » 03 Oct 2017, 11:19

What about the theory this is all to get around the NCAA rules on LaMelo selling shoes?

Odds he never even plays college ball?
Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:44 am SouthernYokel you can talk about whatever inane thing you want to if you can do it without being a dick
MisterTambourineMan
Now

Postby JT99 » 03 Oct 2017, 11:22

nova wrote:
mj3528 wrote:

Unequivocally the answer is elite AAU. Unless you're playing in the DC Catholic league or one of the independents like Monteverde, Oak Hill or Findlay Prep, you're better off sitting out high school once you have high D-I interest. There's a kid from around here who averaged 37 points per game, and only got his first Division I offer in April after going to the school and playing in an open gym.

Norv is 100% right here. Unless a kid is at one of the top 5-10 schools in the nation (Word of God. Findley Prep, Oak Hill, etc...), the college coaches don't even bother talking to the HS coach.
BigJohnStudd wrote:The original Annie movie from the 80s has a lot of panty shots for a PG rated kids film.

BostonSucksMyBalls wrote:26 Jan 2017 10:53: need the D
JT99
Between Bannings

Postby Gregs Kite » 03 Oct 2017, 11:23

None of this strikes you guys as fucked up?
Apr 22, 2015 3:49 pm Clayton Bigsby i enjoy sports

Magnum - Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:36 pm: perhaps my reaction was built up greg hatred finally coming through. fuck that guy.

Frank the Tank wrote:If I die I leave my red font to Kite.
Gregs Kite
Friend of Friends

Postby mj3528 » 03 Oct 2017, 11:24

JT99 wrote:
nova wrote:
mj3528 wrote:

Norv is 100% right here. Unless a kid is at one of the top 5-10 schools in the nation (Word of God. Findley Prep, Oak Hill, etc...), the college coaches don't even bother talking to the HS coach.

I think that is an amazing change.

Kind of related, supposedly elite high school golfers don't even listen to their high school coaches, and just listen to their personal swing coaches.
2009 NFL Pick 'em Champion
SOTSG Fantasy Basketball (Almost Entirely) 2012 Champion
2015 SOTSG NFL Survivor Champion, Part 2
2015 SOTSG Death Pool Co-Champion
2017 SOTSG Fantasy Basketball Champion
mj3528
Never Forgotten

Postby JT99 » 03 Oct 2017, 11:27

Gregs Kite wrote:None of this strikes you guys as fucked up?

It's been fucked up for close to 20 years now. The amount of sleaze around AAU is remarkable.

For example, Thon Maker's people were given $100,000 just to switch AAU teams. Not to commit to a college or to switch schools, just to change summer league teams.
BigJohnStudd wrote:The original Annie movie from the 80s has a lot of panty shots for a PG rated kids film.

BostonSucksMyBalls wrote:26 Jan 2017 10:53: need the D
JT99
Between Bannings

Postby nova » 03 Oct 2017, 11:32

Short answer: no.

The laughable concept of amateurism allows schools and apparel companies to make boatloads of money. At least this way, some of this benefit trickles down to the actual player. The real issue is the lack of oversight and governance. In an era where everything is monetized, I think it's extremely archaic to keep teenagers from earning thousands, if not millions, of dollars if someone is willing to give it to them. By making it against the rules, you're putting more risk on the students to trust people who could totally endanger their future. If some booster wants to pay a kid a hundred thousand dollars, who are we to stop them? There are a finite number of scholarships per team; you're not going to see 15 kids go to Oklahoma State because T. Boone Pickens is paying them a million each.
nova
Thrifty Negro

Postby Gregs Kite » 03 Oct 2017, 11:36

nova wrote:

The laughable concept of amateurism allows schools and apparel companies to make boatloads of money. At least this way, some of this benefit trickles down to the actual player. The real issue is the lack of oversight and governance. In an era where everything is monetized, I think it's extremely archaic to keep teenagers from earning thousands, if not millions, of dollars if someone is willing to give it to them. By making it against the rules, you're putting more risk on the students to trust people who could totally endanger their future. If some booster wants to pay a kid a hundred thousand dollars, who are we to stop them? There are a finite number of scholarships per team; you're not going to see 15 kids go to Oklahoma State because T. Boone Pickens is paying them a million each.

I'm talking specifically about kids not finishing high school. I mean, the horse has already left the barn for college athletics, but does this open a new can of worms? Yank the kids out in 10th grade? 9th? As soon as Uncle Slangin sees the check clear from adidas?
Apr 22, 2015 3:49 pm Clayton Bigsby i enjoy sports

Magnum - Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:36 pm: perhaps my reaction was built up greg hatred finally coming through. fuck that guy.

Frank the Tank wrote:If I die I leave my red font to Kite.
Gregs Kite
Friend of Friends

Postby the cheese » 03 Oct 2017, 13:02

Gregs Kite wrote:
nova wrote:

I'm talking specifically about kids not finishing high school. I mean, the horse has already left the barn for college athletics, but does this open a new can of worms? Yank the kids out in 10th grade? 9th? As soon as Uncle Slangin sees the check clear from adidas?

I don't think Bryce Harper finished high school. Norv specifically said that the kid was going to home school. You have an issue with home schooling? Next you're going to tell me that Lavar Ball needs to vaccinate his kids too, or make them get a physical before they can compete in organized sports or teach them that Jesus didn't kill the dinosaurs and make the earth fit for human existence. I thought this was America?
Clayton Bigsby - Wed May 23, 2012 2:55 pm: i'd rather live with a guy who's kind of annoying but a nice guy than a guy who's kind of annoying and a dick
the cheese
The Douche

PreviousNext

Return to Other Sports