Chess

Re: Chess

Postby babylurch » 23 Nov 2014, 17:27

Frank the Tank wrote:
Mario Speedwagon wrote:Another win for the enfant terrible of chess:

http://rt.com/news/208039-carlsen-anand ... mpionship/

Magnus Carlsen IS profession chess.

He's unstoppable. Too bad international chess is so corrupt or it'd be great times for the "sport". You could probably have FIDE and FIFA switch executives and neither would miss a beat.

If he is unstoppable, why would it be a good time for the sport? Aren't things better with competition (Ali/Frazier, Coke/Pepsi)?
2013 Jason McElwaine Regional Champion
babylurch
Basketball Jesus

Postby Frank the Tank » 23 Nov 2014, 18:09

babylurch wrote:
Frank the Tank wrote:

He's unstoppable. Too bad international chess is so corrupt or it'd be great times for the "sport". You could probably have FIDE and FIFA switch executives and neither would miss a beat.

If he is unstoppable, why would it be a good time for the sport? Aren't things better with competition (Ali/Frazier, Coke/Pepsi)?

Because computers. You can buy a program on Amazon that plays at roughly a world champion level (Houdini, Stockfish, and Komodo are three popular chess engines used by serious players for analysis). These computers and others are currently playing a tournament to determine the best. Anyways, I think a majority of the chess fan base wants the world champion to be so much stronger than the rest of the human population that he or she could stave off the inevitable ascent of computers to a position where they're clearly superior to every single person on the planet.
2015 SOTSG Fantasy Football Champion

BostonSucksMyBalls 11/2/2016: "I hate the internet. No accountability. Just a wasteland of shitheads."
Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet

Postby SDGuy » 23 Nov 2014, 19:55

Frank the Tank wrote:
babylurch wrote:
Frank the Tank wrote:

Because computers. You can buy a program on Amazon that plays at roughly a world champion level (Houdini, Stockfish, and Komodo are three popular chess engines used by serious players for analysis). These computers and others are currently playing a tournament to determine the best. Anyways, I think a majority of the chess fan base wants the world champion to be so much stronger than the rest of the human population that he or she could stave off the inevitable ascent of computers to a position where they're clearly superior to every single person on the planet.

There's also plenty of examples of one person/team dominating that draws in fans/viewers, with the most prominent example being Tiger.
Montecore's Revenge wrote:Protip: When you slit your wrists make sure you go north-south and not east-west. It will be harder for them to save you and it won't send out as much of a "just a cry for help, not a serious attempt" vibe
SDGuy
Basketball Jesus

Postby Iron Mike Sharpe » 01 Apr 2015, 09:05

2015 US Chess Championships start this afternoon. Live stream the action here:

http://www.uschesschamps.com/2015-us-ch ... ation/live
Iron Mike Sharpe
Full of good cheer

Postby Frank the Tank » 30 Nov 2016, 20:40

The World Chess Championships are tied after the full-time-limit games. Now comes the fun stuff. Four games of rapid chess (25 minutes per game plus a bonus 10 seconds after each move, running out of time forfeits as long as your opponent has enough pieces to mate you). If still tied then, they'll play blitz chess mini-matches. Here you get five minutes per game, plus a bonus three seconds after each move. Two games (one as white and one as black). If you win a mini-match, you're world champ. If five consecutive mini-matches are played, they will play Armageddon Chess for the championship. One game. Flip a coin for the right to choose sides. White gets five minutes for all his moves. Black gets four minutes for all his moves. No bonus time on the clock. The kicker is that in the event of a draw or stalemate black wins.

I understand you can't go all Karpov-Kasparov 1984 here and have the match take months and months, but that seems like a fucked-up way to determine a world champion to me. But I hope I can stream the video if it happens.
2015 SOTSG Fantasy Football Champion

BostonSucksMyBalls 11/2/2016: "I hate the internet. No accountability. Just a wasteland of shitheads."
Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet

Previous

Return to Other Sports