The Ryder Cup (because one active golf thread isn't enough)

The Ryder Cup (because one active golf thread isn't enough)

Postby Rodney Farva » 16 Aug 2010, 02:25

Qualification done for the US team. The 8 in are Phil Mickelson, Hunter Mahan, Bubba Watson, Jim Furyk, Steve Stricker, Dustin Johnson, Jeff Overton and Matt Kuchar. I'm going to pretend I'm Corey Pavin for a day and the other four will be Tiger Woods, Stewart Cink, Zach Johnson and Lucas Glover. I would have made Kenny Perry the last one for the old guy out of left field pick, but he's been awful this year and has admitted that he's really struggling. Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if Pavin goes for Freddy Boomboom, so let's take him instead of Glover The Lover.

Euros have two weeks left, really one 'big' tourney for them being the Johnny Walker at Gleneagles. Let's pretend that the standings from today stand, so the 9 qualifiers (ooh, 8 vs. 9; Paul Azinger, you were a tricky (if sandy) bastard!) are Lee Westwood, Rory McIlroy, Graeme McDowell, Luke Donald, Ian Poulter, Ross Fisher, Martin Kaymer, Fernando Molinari and Miguel Angel Jimenez. For Monty's choices, I'm going to say Paul Casey, Paddy Harrington and Bernhard Langer. Langer has been slicing and dicing the seniors on both sides of the pond, has a relatively good career record in the Ryder Cup, and Monty really likes him. If Westwood can't play because of his injury then Eduardo Molinari may get in so that the Molinari brothers can be dick-locked buddies all week and lots of lazy sportswriters can have an easy angle to pursue without doing much heavy lifting. Too bad CBS doesn't get the Ryder Cup because just imagine the hilarity that David Feherty could bleed out of this (again. and again. aaaaaaaaand. again.)

The US has one advantage - well, not so much an advantage but a lesser Euro advantage than it might be - in that the course, Celtic Manor, is an american-style parkland course. The European PGA only cares about making money (witness all the Cups held at the Belfry) so instead of picking difficult links courses they go for places like this where the money is good.

So looking at the teams again:

Mickelson, Mahan, B. Watson, Furyk, Stricker, D. Johnson, Overton, Kuchar, Woods, Cink, Z. Johnson, Couples
vs.
Westwood (maybe), McIlroy, McDowell, Donald, Poulter, Fisher, Kaymer, F. Molinari, Jimenez, Casey, Harrington, Langer

At this point I think it's shaping up as a relatively easy win for the Euros. Mahan's a good player but I don't know how he'll handle the pressure. Dustin Johnson and Bubba Watson have already proved their respective abilities to gag when exposed to the big time. Who the fuck is Jeff Overton? A lot of these Euros that you haven't heard about, like my boy Kaymer, are really good and have ice water in their veins. That old bastard Jimenez may strangle someone and put out his cigar on their eyeball just for shits and giggles. I think Poulter is going to kick all kinds of ass in this thing. Their worry will be whether Westwood can play (or what kind of shape his game is in) and what kind of game Casey and Harrington bring with them that week. Of course I may be completely wrong here, but I hope Monty isn't wearing a white shirt on the last day when his players drench him in champagne or toss him in a pond or whatever.
You coin contrarian bro and say shit nonsense like this.
Rodney Farva
Your real father

Re: The Ryder Cup (because one golf thread isn't enough)

Postby Prez » 16 Aug 2010, 04:45

Not to be a dick, but we already have more than one Golf thread [/dick]

happy now, smarty pants? - RF

It's way too early for me to give details, but Tiger should be watching the Ryder Cup this year, he's playing like shit.
Ballz: So, I fucking got a BJ for $250 total, and wore a rubber. It sucked, I couldnt even feel it, so i jeckyled onto her tits. She was cute. Not even that far out of my league, it was a waste of $250
Prez
The MAWG

Postby Briandong79 » 16 Aug 2010, 09:08

I think Zach probably played himself onto the team with his performance over the weekend. He's got some experience in these competitions too, and I think he's a pretty likely choice. Even though he's been out for surgery, do you think they give any thought to Anthony Kim on the American team?
PhillyJim76 - Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:20 am: X?I wrote a disturbing clueless fan fiction story that got me in hot water in college
Briandong79
Beep Boop

Postby CourtesyFlush » 16 Aug 2010, 09:54

Briandean79 wrote:I think Zach probably played himself onto the team with his performance over the weekend. He's got some experience in these competitions too, and I think he's a pretty likely choice. Even though he's been out for surgery, do you think they give any thought to Anthony Kim on the American team?

Anthony Kim has been openly campaigning to be one of the captain's choices, and he played well at the 08 Ryder Cup and 09 President's Cup so it'll be a tough call for Pavin.
Gregs Kite - Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:24 pm: I don't know, my Wolfpack can be sneaky good in these games

JichaelDick - Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:47 am: Fulsh, you truly are the best North Carolinian ever. Sorry, Andy Griffith.
CourtesyFlush
Friend of Friends

Postby mj3528 » 16 Aug 2010, 10:08

Looking at Farva's original post, if I am Pavin I would not pick Couples. Ryder Cups often come down to which team makes the most putts, something Couples is not really known for now.
2009 NFL Pick 'em Champion
SOTSG Fantasy Basketball (Almost Entirely) 2012 Champion
2015 SOTSG NFL Survivor Champion, Part 2
2015 SOTSG Death Pool Co-Champion
2017 SOTSG Fantasy Basketball Champion
mj3528
Never Forgotten

Postby Montecore's Revenge » 16 Aug 2010, 13:27

Rodney Farva wrote:If Westwood can't play because of his injury then Eduardo Molinari may get in so that the Molinari brothers can be dick-locked buddies all week and lots of lazy sportswriters can have an easy angle to pursue without doing much heavy lifting.

Personally, I would go with something along these lines:
Montecore's Revenge
The Angel of Death

Postby ONTB » 16 Aug 2010, 19:20

I think Couples would be a great choice. There is a 0% chance that it happens, however.
[Mon 0:15] ONTB: Why can't the whole fucking cast come up? I want to hear what Marky Marky has to say
[Mon 0:16] Clayton Bigsby: "i'd like to thank the funky bunch"
ONTB
The Bomb Dick

Postby Rodney Farva » 17 Aug 2010, 01:12

freddy has a long history in this thing, has been playing great this year and has a lot of experience at the highest levels. won't get nervous. usually very popular with other players, can be another mentor to the young guys, and even if he's not putting well can do very well in the team matches the first two days. not saying he's a lock by any means but i wouldn't be surprised if he's taken.

if tiger were playing like tiger i can see taking kim, but he's coming off surgery, months of inactivity and has played like shit in the short time he's been back. too risky to take both him and tiger and hope both can round into form in time. if he shows something between now and sept 7 (when pavin announces his picks) it would be a different story.
Rodney Farva
Your real father

Re: The Ryder Cup (because one active golf thread isn't enou

Postby Rodney Farva » 29 Aug 2010, 19:55

euro team named. luke donald fell off the qualifying list, replaced by peter hanson. monty took the other molinari, harrington and donald. rose will get the call if westwood can't go. they also named sergio garcia as the fourth (!) vice captain, which should do as much as anything to hurt their chances.
Rodney Farva
Your real father

Postby CourtesyFlush » 07 Sep 2010, 10:08

Tiger, Stewart Cink, Rickie Fowler, and Zach Johnson selected as Captain's Picks

Can't really argue with any of them since Johnson and Tiger are playing better as of late. I thought Charley Hoffman put himself into the mix by playing well lately, but he was a longshot given the other options.
Gregs Kite - Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:24 pm: I don't know, my Wolfpack can be sneaky good in these games

JichaelDick - Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:47 am: Fulsh, you truly are the best North Carolinian ever. Sorry, Andy Griffith.
CourtesyFlush
Friend of Friends

Postby Prez » 07 Sep 2010, 10:23

At least we won't have to see Rickey Fowler's terrible (orange) wardrobe since it will be replaced by the (likely) terrible USA team uniform.
Ballz: So, I fucking got a BJ for $250 total, and wore a rubber. It sucked, I couldnt even feel it, so i jeckyled onto her tits. She was cute. Not even that far out of my league, it was a waste of $250
Prez
The MAWG

Postby CourtesyFlush » 30 Sep 2010, 12:16

Giving Farva's thread some love...

Ryder Cup Friday morning pairings announced

No surprise that Stricker and Woods were paired together. Kind of surprised Furyk was left off, but w.e.

CourtesyFlush
Friend of Friends

Postby mj3528 » 30 Sep 2010, 12:19

CourtesyFlush wrote:Giving Farva's thread some love...

Ryder Cup Friday morning pairings announced

No surprise that Stricker and Woods were paired together. Kind of surprised Furyk was left off, but w.e.

I think the Bubba Watson/Jeff Overton pairing is a mistake. I definitely would have put Furyk with one of those two, probably with Watson.
2009 NFL Pick 'em Champion
SOTSG Fantasy Basketball (Almost Entirely) 2012 Champion
2015 SOTSG NFL Survivor Champion, Part 2
2015 SOTSG Death Pool Co-Champion
2017 SOTSG Fantasy Basketball Champion
mj3528
Never Forgotten

Postby mister bacon » 30 Sep 2010, 22:45

tiger checking out the talent at the ryder cup.
2006 SOTSG ESPN March Madness Tourney Challenge Champion
2010 SOTSG NFL Pick 'Em Champion

TheWolf wrote: Being a douche is a very expensive hobby.

ctz31 - Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:30 pm: I'm gonna win a chip w romo. I'm done w blacks. No offense
mister bacon
Black on Both Sides

Postby Rodney Farva » 01 Oct 2010, 04:21

kuchar's one goofy looking dude.

agree that the pairings look silly, how you have overton going out while furyk sits is beyond me.
Rodney Farva
Your real father

Next

Return to Other Sports