Rugby

Re: Rugby

Postby Rodney Farva » 16 Oct 2015, 13:44

mario, an ass: break down this weekend's matchups for the opening of the RWC knockout round.
You coin contrarian bro and say shit nonsense like this.
Rodney Farva
Your real father

Postby Mario Speedwagon » 16 Oct 2015, 14:33

Rodney Farva wrote:mario, an ass: break down this weekend's matchups for the opening of the RWC knockout round.

Rugby World Cup - Quarter Finals Weekend (all times local)

Saturday 4pm: South Africa vs Wales

After their shock loss to the Japanese, it's been a return to the grit & grind (tm: Memphis) for the Springboks. The Welsh have fought bravely but this is a war of attrition, and they're losing.

South Africa.

Saturday 8pm: New Zealand vs France

Just like the mismatch in the picture stakes, there will be no French upset of the AB's this weekend. France have been mediocre all tournament & absolutely failed to show up against the Irish last weekend. Disappointing in the extreme & NZ should be too professional to slip up at this stage.

Sunday 1pm: Ireland vs Argentina

I want Ireland to lose this game, I want it with every fibre of my being. So I am tipping the upset. The Argentinians to scrummage the shit out of a slightly depleted Ireland & Monday's papers in Dublin to read "We never really liked rugby anyway".

Sunday 4pm: Australia vs Scotland

NSFW:
Prime Bbcode Spoiler Show Prime Bbcode Spoiler:

LOLjks: Image

Scotland have two chances: Buckley's and none. I am superior to Scotland in every facet of the game.
#2C4S

Mario Speedwagon
Trackies n' Tinnies

Postby Rodney Farva » 16 Oct 2015, 14:40

well done. i give wales a better chance than you do and don't see argentina getting the upset. they showed early vs NZ they're capable of playing with anyone but they can't finish it.

there's no way we get anything but an Aussie-NZ final.
Rodney Farva
Your real father

Postby Rodney Farva » 18 Oct 2015, 12:24

well you got your all-southern hemisphere final four. but damn, scotland almost pulled it out. maybe a couple of their tries were cheap but they probably should have beat you, and that yellow card was very soft.

nice of paul o'connell to look away from his phone every now and then to watch the game.
Rodney Farva
Your real father

Postby Mario Speedwagon » 19 Oct 2015, 05:46

Rodney Farva wrote:well you got your all-southern hemisphere final four. but damn, scotland almost pulled it out. maybe a couple of their tries were cheap but they probably should have beat you, and that yellow card was very soft.

nice of paul o'connell to look away from his phone every now and then to watch the game.

4 from 4 for the ol' Speedwagon.

Scotland wouldn't have been within Cooee of Australia if Foley had made his kicks. Good teams can kill games in the final few minutes & Scotland just couldn't manage it. Australia are like the baddie at the end of a horror film, they might look dead. but there's always that one last lunge.
#2C4S

Mario Speedwagon
Trackies n' Tinnies

Postby Rodney Farva » 19 Oct 2015, 06:27

i watched the game with a scottish family, the dad is a former rugby player (second row). more than once heard something along the lines "aye, you fucking cheating convict bastards."
Rodney Farva
Your real father

Postby Mario Speedwagon » 19 Oct 2015, 06:53

Rodney Farva wrote:i watched the game with a scottish family, the dad is a former rugby player (second row). more than once heard something along the lines "aye, you fucking cheating convict bastards."

Scottish people are Irish people with the sense of humour removed.

They will moan about that match for aeons, it has catapulted me in to the "no-one likes us, we don't care" position for the rest of the tournament, doe.
#2C4S

Mario Speedwagon
Trackies n' Tinnies

Postby Rodney Farva » 19 Oct 2015, 07:37

btw, this has been driving me nuts the whole tournament. special RWC edition of separated at birth:

Rodney Farva
Your real father

Postby Mario Speedwagon » 27 Oct 2015, 11:33

I am in the final of this thing. I will beat the All Blacks by 5 points.

That's free money, friends.
#2C4S

Mario Speedwagon
Trackies n' Tinnies

Postby Mario Speedwagon » 21 Nov 2015, 11:30

God Shamgod - 5 minutes ago: Speedwagon-What is the difference between Rugby league, rugby union, rugby sevens etc? I would like to be on the cutting edge of discussion with hipsters, but it seems difficult to understand.

Perceptive question, Shammy, I'm glad you asked.

RUGBY LEAGUE:

- 13 men per side.
- Mainly popular in working class Eastern Australia, Auckland, the North of England as well as Papua New Guinea.
- Less emphasis on scrums & kicking, more on running.
- The players are generally bogans, what YOU PEOPLE refer to as White Trash. They do things such as this (both quite NSFW):

or this:

- This code of the sport doesn't have the international cache of Union, but there is an earthy quality to it that people like - if you were ever to find yourself in Sydney or Brisbane it would be a great afternoon out. The hipster jumper (what YOU PEOPLE would call a jersey) of choice would be this beauty from the Newtown Jets RLFC, it would pair nicely with some skinny jeans, Converse & an interesting, windswept looking haircut:

RUGBY UNION:

-15 men per side.
- This is the game that most American people associate with the general term "rugby", and is a popular choice for fans with names like Hugo or Ivor, and people with well diversified share portfolios & wine collections.
- Outside of New Zealand, it's basically a game for private school people or international jet-setters like me Farva.
- Besides the constant scrums, rucks & mauls - which are basically 16 mens smashing into each other with the same success rate of WWI trench warfare - and kicking, the general premise of the game is that 2 teams of 15 men attempt to move the oval ball over the try line and after 80 minutes New Zealand wins.
- I could see someone like 'Sco rocking this Stade Francais jumper while sipping on a small-batch IPA & listening to Latvian folk music LP's at his local pop-up Shebeen:

RUGBY SEVENS:

- 7 men per side, duh.
- Basically you distill the very best of both codes, get rid of half the players from each side, reduce the playing time by 80%, and play the games in places like Hong Kong or Las Vegas in front of grandstands full of drunks.
#2C4S

Mario Speedwagon
Trackies n' Tinnies

Postby mj3528 » 21 Nov 2015, 11:39

Speedy, What type of rugby do you prefer and why?
2009 NFL Pick 'em Champion
SOTSG Fantasy Basketball (Almost Entirely) 2012 Champion
2015 SOTSG NFL Survivor Champion, Part 2
2015 SOTSG Death Pool Co-Champion
2017 SOTSG Fantasy Basketball Champion
mj3528
Never Forgotten

Postby Mario Speedwagon » 21 Nov 2015, 11:59

mj3528 wrote:Speedy, What type of rugby do you prefer and why?

Rugby League, because that's what I was raised on by my parents (South Sydney fans) & everyone in the area I grew up in were fans of the local team, St George (16 time champions), who are the team I support.

Because of loads of rule changes, etc, the game isn't as fun to watch any more as it was in the 80's & early 90's but I will still wake up early for the big matches, and sometimes take days off work for really important matches.

I like both, though, a good excuse to go for beers.
#2C4S

Mario Speedwagon
Trackies n' Tinnies

Postby chrisco » 21 Nov 2015, 13:01

Mar - that shirts too loud for me, THIS however is right in my wheelhouse:

I can't wade through the snark here to figure out if its real or onion. Please give me a ruling.

http://www.betootaadvocate.com/uncatego ... act-sport/

ETA - Onion.
BostonSucksMyBalls - Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:03 am: I listen bc ive listened for about 25 years. I need to see this stupid thing thru.
chrisco
Madoff

Postby Rodney Farva » 21 Nov 2015, 13:19

union is best on tv, sevens is best in person, league puts me to sleep
Rodney Farva
Your real father

Postby Mario Speedwagon » 21 Nov 2015, 13:36

chrisco wrote:Mar - that shirts too loud for me, THIS however is right in my wheelhouse:

I can't wade through the snark here to figure out if its real or onion. Please give me a ruling.

http://www.betootaadvocate.com/uncatego ... act-sport/

ETA - Onion.

#2C4S

Mario Speedwagon
Trackies n' Tinnies

PreviousNext

Return to Other Sports