Aussie Rules

Aussie Rules

Postby someguysomewhere » 29 Aug 2009, 12:47

Screw you guys. There are threads for Crew and Cricket and BC High School Sports.* You can deal with this one.

Anyhow, end of the Home and Away season in the AFL this weekend. Here are a couple of highlights.

Brad Sewell of Hawthorn gets knocked the fuck out (along with his team) by Matthew Lloyd of Essendon. A donnybrook ensues. Note that play just continues instead of a 24 man melee (unti they had to stop it to check if Sewell was dead).

Brett Burton of Adelaide takes possibly the mark of the year against Carlton.

* my bad on that one
the very best of _:

Mar 15
if im cooking frozen pizza in the oven, how long should i preheat it. box says preheat to 375F but for how long?

Apr 25
the opportunity cost of knowing how to preheat an oven is pretty puny compared to anything else
someguysomewhere
TRU Patriot

Re: Aussie Rules

Postby Frank the Tank » 29 Aug 2009, 16:01

someguysomewhere wrote:Brett Burton of Adelaide takes possibly the mark of the year against Carlton.

That was pretty amazing. I miss the days when it was easy to find Aussie Rules on American sports networks.
2015 SOTSG Fantasy Football Champion

BostonSucksMyBalls 11/2/2016: "I hate the internet. No accountability. Just a wasteland of shitheads."
Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet

Postby someguysomewhere » 25 Sep 2010, 09:27

The AFL grand final between St. Kilda and Collingwood ended in a 68-68 draw last night. So, rather than play overtime, they just replay the entire thing from scratch again next week. First time it's happened since 1977. With another crowd of 100K+ sure to turn up, I'd imagine the AFL's accountants aren't too upset about that.

Great game, St. Kilda (traditionally awful; haven't won a premiership since 1966) was down big at half time then came storming back. Collingwood (notorious chokers; won 1 of the last 11 grand finals they played in), uh, choked.

Here's the play that put St. Kilda up for the first time in the game. Considered the greatest mark in the Grand Final since 1970.

the very best of _:

Mar 15
if im cooking frozen pizza in the oven, how long should i preheat it. box says preheat to 375F but for how long?

Apr 25
the opportunity cost of knowing how to preheat an oven is pretty puny compared to anything else
someguysomewhere
TRU Patriot

Postby someguysomewhere » 08 Sep 2012, 20:59

Won my 5th Premiership in 9 seasons today (in a 4-team league that used to be a 2-team league when I started. I played a whole whopping 2 minutes, before some fucker took me out with a knee to the back and bruised the shit out of my ribs.
the very best of _:

Mar 15

Apr 25
someguysomewhere
TRU Patriot

Postby Iron Mike Sharpe » 09 Sep 2012, 01:59

Sounds like you turtled like a bitch.
Iron Mike Sharpe
Full of good cheer

Postby Clayton Bigsby » 09 Sep 2012, 08:35

Premiership
Clayton Bigsby
Head of the Snake

Postby Rodney Farva » 09 Sep 2012, 08:44

with a capital P
You coin contrarian bro and say shit nonsense like this.
Rodney Farva
Your real father

Postby someguysomewhere » 09 Sep 2012, 11:18

Iron Mike Sharpe wrote:Sounds like you turtled like a bitch.

Nah, didn't pull out of the contest, AKA turtle LIKE A BITCH. Just got fucked up.

Wasn't as much of a champion as my buddy, though. He got knocked the fuck out in the fourth quarter, carried off the field by two guys with his head all flopping around, then went and subbed himself back into the game five minutes later because he didn't remember being taken off the field or getting hit at all in the first place. I'm pretty sure we weren't following the appropriate concussion protocol.
the very best of _:

Mar 15

Apr 25
someguysomewhere
TRU Patriot

Postby Mario Speedwagon » 09 Sep 2012, 13:13

someguysomewhere wrote:
Iron Mike Sharpe wrote:Sounds like you turtled like a bitch.

Nah, didn't pull out of the contest, AKA turtle LIKE A BITCH. Just got fucked up.

Wasn't as much of a champion as my buddy, though. He got knocked the fuck out in the fourth quarter, carried off the field by two guys with his head all flopping around, then went and subbed himself back into the game five minutes later because he didn't remember being taken off the field or getting hit at all in the first place. I'm pretty sure we weren't following the appropriate concussion protocol.

You should have hid his helmet.

Oh, that's right...
#2C4S

Mario Speedwagon
Trackies n' Tinnies

Postby chrisco » 22 Sep 2012, 09:48

Big Gaelic Football final this weekend. MB is from Donegal and flew over for the match.

In the 2 minutes of highlights I watched against Cork on the youtubes, this seemed like a fun sport to watch.

Is it?
BostonSucksMyBalls - Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:03 am: I listen bc ive listened for about 25 years. I need to see this stupid thing thru.
chrisco
Madoff

Postby Frank the Tank » 22 Sep 2012, 09:58

chrisco wrote:Big Gaelic Football final this weekend. MB is from Donegal and flew over for the match.

In the 2 minutes of highlights I watched against Cork on the youtubes, this seemed like a fun sport to watch.

Is it?

I like Gaelic Football, but for my money hurling's better.

BostonSucksMyBalls 11/2/2016: "I hate the internet. No accountability. Just a wasteland of shitheads."
Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet

Postby someguysomewhere » 22 Sep 2012, 11:35

Gaelic's pretty fun, but it's frustrating because you pretty much have to play defence like basketball. We always play the Irish guys in gaelic on St. Paddy's and usually at least one of our players snaps and starts just tackling guys in the 4th quarter. Irish guys that have played lots of gaelic are usually very good at Aussie Rules right away.

Hurling's fucking terrifying. Played it once. Ball comes flying at you fast as hell and you have to try to catch it with your free hand while some guy hits you in the back of the head with the stick. Nuts.
the very best of _:

Mar 15

Apr 25
someguysomewhere
TRU Patriot

Postby Frank the Tank » 22 Sep 2012, 13:29

someguysomewhere wrote:Hurling's fucking terrifying. Played it once. Ball comes flying at you fast as hell and you have to try to catch it with your free hand while some guy hits you in the back of the head with the stick. Nuts.

That's what I love about it. Note that when I say I love it, I mean "I love it as a spectator". I'm really surprised more people don't die playing it. I'd be a corpse within three minutes of stepping on the field.

Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet

Postby Mario Speedwagon » 22 Sep 2012, 15:00

We have Gaelic Games fields at the end of out road, the drinks at the club there are very cheap: C'MON MAUR'S!!

The All-Ireland inter county hurling final between Kilkenny & Galway ended in a tie so they're playing again at the end of the month. The footballers from Donegal & Mayo play tomorrow, the Prime Minister is from Mayo so he asked the Pope to bless the team. How about asking him to bless our economy, fuckwit?
#2C4S

Mario Speedwagon
Trackies n' Tinnies

Postby chrisco » 15 Jan 2015, 14:13

SGSW Signal....LONG RUNNING SOTSG ARGUMENT ALERT

NCAA big men recruited to be Aussie Rules ruckers.

Prime Bbcode Spoiler Show Prime Bbcode Spoiler:
They do not become instant dominant players.

http://www.sbnation.com/longform/2015/1 ... rs-profile
BostonSucksMyBalls - Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:03 am: I listen bc ive listened for about 25 years. I need to see this stupid thing thru.
chrisco
Madoff

Next

Return to Other Sports