The Bike Thread

Re: The Bike Thread

Postby Iron Mike Sharpe » 20 Apr 2014, 09:53

Bought a bike on Friday (http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/to ... d/verve_2/). Took it out for a 14 mile ride yesterday. Pretty damn fun. Helps that I live 1/4 mile from this park:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katy_Trail_State_Park
Iron Mike Sharpe
Full of good cheer

Postby bosux » 22 Apr 2014, 08:32

that is one sweet ride

kudos to you mike...the spreadsheet is going to love that bike...don't cost nothing to take a bike ride and the more you ride it the more you 'defray' the cost of the bike
by bosux » 02 Mar 2016, 13:34
if the democratic power machine is so tone deaf as to foist $hrillary upon the electorate they will lose to Trump...bet on it
bosux
Dr. Poop

Postby BostonSucksMyBalls » 22 Apr 2014, 09:45

What helmet do you wear?

Do you wear padded biker shorts?
PS: I will never like July 27th. It will always be the day Reggie died. I just hate this day. True Celtic fans know what I mean.
BostonSucksMyBalls
Work Creep

Postby Iron Mike Sharpe » 22 Apr 2014, 09:47

Rode another 14 on Sunday. Took yesterday off. Will get back out there today and Wednesday after work. Then try and get a bigger ride or two in over the weekend.

When I bought it the only things I got with it were a cage and large water bottle and a repair kit and pump, all mounted on the bike. I need to watch some videos on how to change a tube or patch one in case I get a flat while riding. The shop also has a free class once a month on changing / repairing tubes.

I've gone ahead and ordered a helmet, hydration pack, a lock and a set of sport earbuds off of Amazon to make the ride a better experience.

I still need to get a bike rack for the back of my car in case I want to hit some other trails or for when I need to take my bike in for a tuneup.
Iron Mike Sharpe
Full of good cheer

Postby Mario Speedwagon » 22 Apr 2014, 09:53

I used to ride when I lived back home in Sydney. I wish I could do it here but the weather is mostly awful, the roads are terrible & the drivers are dickheads.

The Giro D’Italia is going past my house next month, doe. I can already smell the EPO in the air.
#2C4S

Mario Speedwagon
Trackies n' Tinnies

Postby the cheese » 22 Apr 2014, 09:56

Iron Mike Sharpe wrote:Rode another 14 on Sunday. Took yesterday off. Will get back out there today and Wednesday after work. Then try and get a bigger ride or two in over the weekend.

When I bought it the only things I got with it were a cage and large water bottle and a repair kit and pump, all mounted on the bike. I need to watch some videos on how to change a tube or patch one in case I get a flat while riding. The shop also has a free class once a month on changing / repairing tubes.

I've gone ahead and ordered a helmet, hydration pack, a lock and a set of sport earbuds off of Amazon to make the ride a better experience.

I still need to get a bike rack for the back of my car in case I want to hit some other trails or for when I need to take my bike in for a tuneup.

You should also get a bike trainer so you can exercise indoors with your bike.

Minimal investment, inclement weather cardio.
Clayton Bigsby - Wed May 23, 2012 2:55 pm: i'd rather live with a guy who's kind of annoying but a nice guy than a guy who's kind of annoying and a dick
the cheese
The Douche

Postby Iron Mike Sharpe » 22 Apr 2014, 10:02

I'll look into that. Though I probably won't enjoy it; I hate running on my treadmill.
Iron Mike Sharpe
Full of good cheer

Postby Rodney Farva » 22 Apr 2014, 10:08

Ear buds? Listening to music while riding sounds like a recipe for disaster.
You coin contrarian bro and say shit nonsense like this.
Rodney Farva
Your real father

Postby SouthernYokel » 22 Apr 2014, 10:15

Rodney Farva wrote:Ear buds? Listening to music while riding sounds like a recipe for disaster.

i do it every time i ride. it's bad news bears if you're on a road with cars. on trails or ped/bike only roads it's fine.
JT99 wrote:imagine working your entire board life on being a guy investigating every nook and cranny of others' sexual lives only to have some drunken baboon stumble into the r&t jackpot
SouthernYokel
Hank the Hangover Turtle

Postby the cheese » 22 Apr 2014, 10:18

Iron Mike Sharpe wrote:I'll look into that. Though I probably won't enjoy it; I hate running on my treadmill.

My brother-in-law and father-in-law swear by them. You have to keep the bike balanced during the ride so it's a little bit more involved than a treadmill.
Clayton Bigsby - Wed May 23, 2012 2:55 pm: i'd rather live with a guy who's kind of annoying but a nice guy than a guy who's kind of annoying and a dick
the cheese
The Douche

Postby bosux » 22 Apr 2014, 10:19

Rodney Farva wrote:Ear buds? Listening to music while riding sounds like a recipe for disaster.

it's not a big deal...you can hear most anything that needs to be heard over the music provided you're not blasting it

don't bother with patching tubes...new tubes are cheap and the patches rarely hold very long...buy a couple spares so you'll have them around...i like the tubes with heavier guage rubber...i was getting flats all the time until i invested in those, haven't had one since...keep a spare tube, a set of tire 'irons' and a micro pump on you when you ride so you don't get stuck having to walk 7 miles back home...changing a tube is super easy once you've practiced it 2-3 times

my ass hurts after about 6-7 miles, so i invested in a pair of padded (baggy) shorts and a better seat

eta: this is the suxmobile:

Last edited by bosux on 22 Apr 2014, 10:26, edited 1 time in total.
if the democratic power machine is so tone deaf as to foist $hrillary upon the electorate they will lose to Trump...bet on it
bosux
Dr. Poop

Postby Iron Mike Sharpe » 22 Apr 2014, 10:24

Yeah, I've got a spare tube and the tools/pump mounted on my bike.

The music won't be a problem for me as I'm on dedicated trails.
Iron Mike Sharpe
Full of good cheer

Postby bosux » 22 Apr 2014, 10:27

Iron Mike Sharpe wrote:Yeah, I've got a spare tube and the tools/pump mounted on my bike.

The music won't be a problem for me as I'm on dedicated trails.

take them off the bike and keep them in your hydration pack so you don't look like such a goober
bosux
Dr. Poop

Postby Iron Mike Sharpe » 26 May 2014, 12:29

14 miles Friday, 29 on Sat, 4 on Sunday, 30 today.

I'm gassed.
Iron Mike Sharpe
Full of good cheer

Postby Theny » 26 May 2014, 19:14

Iron Mike Sharpe wrote:14 miles Friday, 29 on Sat, 4 on Sunday, 30 today.

I'm gassed.

You sleeping better now?
Theny
Anchor Baby Daddy

PreviousNext

Return to Other Sports