The Bike Thread

Re: The Bike Thread

Postby bosux » 28 Jan 2018, 21:02

Goose wrote:
Frank the Tank wrote:
TheWolf wrote:Riding a bike with clips took some getting used to, IMO. Really helpful on hills and stuff though once you get used to it, because you can pull as well as push. Definitely makes you sore in new places, as FTT mentioned, but to answer your question... yes, I think you clearly pedal stronger with them.

Agreed. Not worth it for casual riders, but for anyone who is really trying to maximize the health benefits of riding, or beat personal bests on their Strava routes, go for it. Just make sure to practice clipping in and out of the pedals someplace safe where you won’t fall. I’ve gotten good at clipping in already, but getting the damn shoes out of the pedals is still tough for me.

I liked clips on my road bike, but not my mountain bike. Saw a dude tumble down a pretty steep embankment, probably 20+ feet down, in the woods. He cut the corner, clipped a tree and couldn't get his foot out of the pedal clips quick enough to prevent falling to the side and down the embankment. Luckily he was okay with another group of riders so I didn't have to show any concern for his safety.

clips make uphills much easier...also makes it much easier to get the rear wheel up over obstacles...i've been about 50/50 with being able to unclip in time to save my ass...sometimes you are just going to yardsale with or without clips :beatme:
by bosux » 02 Mar 2016, 13:34
if the democratic power machine is so tone deaf as to foist $hrillary upon the electorate they will lose to Trump...bet on it
bosux
Dr. Poop

Postby Frank the Tank » 29 Jan 2018, 08:58

bosux wrote:sometimes you are just going to yardsale with or without clips :beatme:

I am unfamiliar with that terminology. I think I like it though.
2015 SOTSG Fantasy Football Champion

BostonSucksMyBalls 11/2/2016: "I hate the internet. No accountability. Just a wasteland of shitheads."
Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet

Postby SouthernYokel » 29 Jan 2018, 11:21

Frank the Tank wrote:
bosux wrote:sometimes you are just going to yardsale with or without clips :beatme:

I usually say it when someone drops a purse and their stuff flies all over the floor
BostonSucksMyBalls - Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:12 pm: I hope Jax wins next week. If the eagles lose to New England, I’m killing myself on Facebook Live
SouthernYokel
Hank the Hangover Turtle

Postby mj3528 » 29 Jan 2018, 11:25

SouthernYokel wrote:
Frank the Tank wrote:

I usually say it when someone drops a purse and their stuff flies all over the floor

I hear it most often to describe a ski fall, when the skis pop off and a pole or two is also away from the skier on the mountain.
2009 NFL Pick 'em Champion
SOTSG Fantasy Basketball (Almost Entirely) 2012 Champion
2015 SOTSG NFL Survivor Champion, Part 2
2015 SOTSG Death Pool Co-Champion
2017 SOTSG Fantasy Basketball Champion
mj3528
#QM

Postby Theny » 29 Jan 2018, 11:43

Lael Wilcox is one of my favorite athletes right now. This is an interesting story, watch what happens to her beta male boyfriend.

http://www.wbur.org/onlyagame/2018/01/0 ... nce-racing
Theny
Anchor Baby Daddy

Postby Goose » 29 Jan 2018, 15:12

Theny wrote:Lael Wilcox is one of my favorite athletes right now. This is an interesting story, watch what happens to her beta male boyfriend.

:lol:
Balls: I know a guy who came home after high school one day to over hear his mom and dad having a 3some with another lady. He actually went to beat off during it in his room.
mister bacon: Wow no wonder PJ is so fucked up.
Goose
Smartest Guy In The Room

Postby chrisco » 29 Jan 2018, 15:33

Goose wrote:
Theny wrote:Lael Wilcox is one of my favorite athletes right now. This is an interesting story, watch what happens to her beta male boyfriend.

:lol:

This part:

What Lael didn’t know is that at almost that exact same moment, Steffen woke up, too. He was ahead by 20 miles. But he started pedaling the wrong way.

"It’s 3:00 a.m. We're in this town called Bumpass, Virginia. It's, like, a nothing town," Lael says. "And I see this light coming towards me. And I was like, 'What the hell is going on here? Who is this?' "

It was Steffen, headed right at her.

Fatigue is such a big part of ultra distance racing that it’s not uncommon for a rider to wake up groggy and go the wrong way. When Steffen saw Lael, he turned around and immediately started following her.

Reminded me of Eco Challenge (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eco-Challenge). By the last two days of that race, people were hallucinating and doing all sorts of crazy shit.

I might need to go down the You Tube rabbit hole and re-watch each year.
BostonSucksMyBalls - Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:03 am: I listen bc ive listened for about 25 years. I need to see this stupid thing thru.
chrisco
Madoff

Postby Theny » 01 Feb 2018, 12:47

In the Theny-approved doc on Netflix "Inspired To Ride", one of the guys says the same thing, it's like Eco Challenge.

Anyways, rode two hours this morning, bout to do another hour here now.
Theny
Anchor Baby Daddy

Previous

Return to Other Sports