The Bike Thread

Re: The Bike Thread

Postby Frank the Tank » 25 Jan 2018, 09:34

TheWolf wrote:
Frank the Tank wrote:
Gregs Kite wrote:You.....threw your lunch in the garbage?

I did. But once the repair had been completed and I was driving back to the office, I stopped at the local grocery store to buy three bottles of J Tim’s buffalo sauce and a package of Hostess cupcakes. So I still got my recommended daily allowance of artificial shit in my system.

Do they actually sell J Tims sauce in stores?

Highland Park carries it. Stop and Shop doesn’t. HP is the only place besides the restaurant that I know of that stocks it.
2015 SOTSG Fantasy Football Champion

BostonSucksMyBalls 11/2/2016: "I hate the internet. No accountability. Just a wasteland of shitheads."
Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet

Postby TheWolf » 25 Jan 2018, 10:02

Frank the Tank wrote:
TheWolf wrote:
Frank the Tank wrote:

I did. But once the repair had been completed and I was driving back to the office, I stopped at the local grocery store to buy three bottles of J Tim’s buffalo sauce and a package of Hostess cupcakes. So I still got my recommended daily allowance of artificial shit in my system.

Highland Park carries it. Stop and Shop doesn’t. HP is the only place besides the restaurant that I know of that stocks it.

Seems like something Highland Park would do. GLO.

Also, was anyone else picturing Frank guzzling a bottle of buffalo sauce on his way back to work?
"our kayaking guy sucked and came last"
- SGSW
TheWolf
Hand-Holder

Postby Theny » 25 Jan 2018, 10:04

did you find you pedal stronger with clips? i'm thinking of changing mine to clips.
Theny
Anchor Baby Daddy

Postby TheWolf » 25 Jan 2018, 10:06

Riding a bike with clips took some getting used to, IMO. Really helpful on hills and stuff though once you get used to it, because you can pull as well as push. Definitely makes you sore in new places, as FTT mentioned, but to answer your question... yes, I think you clearly pedal stronger with them.
- SGSW
TheWolf
Hand-Holder

Postby Frank the Tank » 25 Jan 2018, 10:16

TheWolf wrote:Riding a bike with clips took some getting used to, IMO. Really helpful on hills and stuff though once you get used to it, because you can pull as well as push. Definitely makes you sore in new places, as FTT mentioned, but to answer your question... yes, I think you clearly pedal stronger with them.

Agreed. Not worth it for casual riders, but for anyone who is really trying to maximize the health benefits of riding, or beat personal bests on their Strava routes, go for it. Just make sure to practice clipping in and out of the pedals someplace safe where you won’t fall. I’ve gotten good at clipping in already, but getting the damn shoes out of the pedals is still tough for me.

BostonSucksMyBalls 11/2/2016: "I hate the internet. No accountability. Just a wasteland of shitheads."
Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet

Postby the cheese » 25 Jan 2018, 10:19

Frank the Tank wrote:
TheWolf wrote:Riding a bike with clips took some getting used to, IMO. Really helpful on hills and stuff though once you get used to it, because you can pull as well as push. Definitely makes you sore in new places, as FTT mentioned, but to answer your question... yes, I think you clearly pedal stronger with them.

Agreed. Not worth it for casual riders, but for anyone who is really trying to maximize the health benefits of riding, or beat personal bests on their Strava routes, go for it. Just make sure to practice clipping in and out of the pedals someplace safe where you won’t fall. I’ve gotten good at clipping in already, but getting the damn shoes out of the pedals is still tough for me.

Ha, this guy in my HIIT class was saying that he was going mountain biking over the weekend and he was going to clip in for the first time* on a mountain bike. He fell over and broke his collar bone in part because he couldn't unclip fast enough.

*He's a semi-serious road biker and has clipped in for years.
Clayton Bigsby - Wed May 23, 2012 2:55 pm: i'd rather live with a guy who's kind of annoying but a nice guy than a guy who's kind of annoying and a dick
the cheese
The Douche

Postby Rodney Farva » 25 Jan 2018, 10:21

TheWolf wrote:
Frank the Tank wrote:
TheWolf wrote:
Frank the Tank wrote:

Seems like something Highland Park would do. GLO.

Also, was anyone else picturing Frank guzzling a bottle of buffalo sauce on his way back to work?

i pictured him pouring it over the cupcakes
You coin contrarian bro and say shit nonsense like this.
Rodney Farva
Your real father

Postby Goose » 25 Jan 2018, 10:22

Frank the Tank wrote:

I liked clips on my road bike, but not my mountain bike. Saw a dude tumble down a pretty steep embankment, probably 20+ feet down, in the woods. He cut the corner, clipped a tree and couldn't get his foot out of the pedal clips quick enough to prevent falling to the side and down the embankment. Luckily he was okay with another group of riders so I didn't have to show any concern for his safety.
Balls: I know a guy who came home after high school one day to over hear his mom and dad having a 3some with another lady. He actually went to beat off during it in his room.
mister bacon: Wow no wonder PJ is so fucked up.
Goose
Basketball Jesus

Postby TheWolf » 25 Jan 2018, 10:26

I think I'd be scared to ride a mountain bike with clips for just that reason. Perhaps ironically, I have mountain bike clips on my road bike.
- SGSW
TheWolf
Hand-Holder

Postby Frank the Tank » 26 Jan 2018, 16:07

Sent a request to Peloton to refund my shipping costs given the idiocy from XPO. Will let you know what I hear.

Also learned today that Peloton only supports Bluetooth 4.0, not the current 4.1 standard. What does this mean? If you use a set of headphones that are too good, they won’t sync with the video. My Bose Soundsport Wireless headphones, which have infinitely better sound quality than the built-in speakers on the Peloton, have about a second of lag that can’t be directly fixed. The only workaround I’ve found online is to find a separate Bluetooth transmitter compatible with 4.1 that plugs into the aux jack. C’mon fucking guy...

Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet

Postby chrisco » 26 Jan 2018, 16:41

Frank the Tank wrote:Sent a request to Peloton to refund my shipping costs given the idiocy from XPO. Will let you know what I hear.

Also learned today that Peloton only supports Bluetooth 4.0, not the current 4.1 standard. What does this mean? If you use a set of headphones that are too good, they won’t sync with the video. My Bose Soundsport Wireless headphones, which have infinitely better sound quality than the built-in speakers on the Peloton, have about a second of lag that can’t be directly fixed. The only workaround I’ve found online is to find a separate Bluetooth transmitter compatible with 4.1 that plugs into the aux jack. C’mon fucking guy...

Compounding WPP.
BostonSucksMyBalls - Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:03 am: I listen bc ive listened for about 25 years. I need to see this stupid thing thru.
chrisco
Madoff

Postby Frank the Tank » 26 Jan 2018, 16:44

chrisco wrote:
Frank the Tank wrote:Sent a request to Peloton to refund my shipping costs given the idiocy from XPO. Will let you know what I hear.

Compounding WPP.

The only way these problems could be any whiter is if my au pair broke the damn thing because she threw up on it after eating some tainted organic locally-sourced kale.

Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet

Postby jman » 27 Jan 2018, 10:55

I find it interesting that XPO was involved in anything more than just delivering the package to your house. I thought they were just a delivery company, a la Yellow Freight or something like that, and would do nothing more than get the package off the truck and bring it into your house, hopefully not destroying your wall or door in the process. I can't believe they would be tasked with setting up a $2K+ piece of equipment.
jman
Tecmo Bowl Bo Jackson

Postby Frank the Tank » 27 Jan 2018, 12:29

jman wrote:I find it interesting that XPO was involved in anything more than just delivering the package to your house. I thought they were just a delivery company, a la Yellow Freight or something like that, and would do nothing more than get the package off the truck and bring it into your house, hopefully not destroying your wall or door in the process. I can't believe they would be tasked with setting up a $2K+ piece of equipment.

They are officially a "logistics company". I guess setup and repair are logistical?

Peloton refunded me the $250 delivery charge and tacked on another two months to my service. I am satisfied.

Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet

Postby SouthernYokel » 28 Jan 2018, 16:02

Theny wrote: I got a KOM on Strava (for 2018) yesterday for one of the sprints by my house. Need to get 7 seconds faster to break the all time KOM.

Apparently Strava accidentally revealed the location and structure of everyone's military bases. Hahaha.
BostonSucksMyBalls - Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:12 pm: I hope Jax wins next week. If the eagles lose to New England, I’m killing myself on Facebook Live
SouthernYokel
Hank the Hangover Turtle

PreviousNext

Return to Other Sports