They Call It Football: The Consolidated Soccer Thread

They Call It Football: The Consolidated Soccer Thread

Postby Rodney Farva » 18 Jan 2008, 03:46

In what was originally a thread dedicated to last year's season,

Jew Jitsu wrote:can one of the mods remove the ''2006/07 season" part of the title and just leave it at "soccer thread"? since you know that season has finished back in may.

Good idea. That one had grown long enough, and we have a few other soccer threads floating around. As that seems to have become the leading soccer thread, I'll retire that one; close the others; and we can try to keep the soccer talk consolidated in this one.
You coin contrarian bro and say shit nonsense like this.
Rodney Farva
Your real father

Postby WampaOne » 18 Jan 2008, 07:46

No way, we need a soccer forum! soccer rewlz.

Just kidding.

Hammers for...meh.
2013 SOTSG NFL PICK 'EM Champion
2006 World Cup Fantasy Champion

Don't mess with the bull, you'll get the horns
WampaOne
Friend of Lohan

Postby Durden » 18 Jan 2008, 13:39

Liverpool's Costume Party

some interesting outfits, to say the least...Gerrard's was very impressive though.
i used to be commander and chief of my pimp ship.

2008 Who's Now
BSMB: poor nerf. You had a fine year. One and DUN, yo.
Durden
Smartest Guy In The Room

Postby Jew Jitsu » 18 Jan 2008, 13:56

lol @ the bin laden costume

P.S. Gerrard is a diver
CourtesyFlush - Wed May 31, 2017 7:52 am: I stopped taking creep shots when I found out a dude who used to work on my floor got arrested for that at a walgreens in uptown charlotte.
Jew Jitsu
Never Forgotten

Postby Jew Jitsu » 14 Feb 2008, 01:25

well, the greatest of all time (IMHO), Ronaldo, looks to be done after another injury to his knee yesterday

shame

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHk2O_c0src

crappy video

ETA: Here's a better one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_GFUBcklKo
CourtesyFlush - Wed May 31, 2017 7:52 am: I stopped taking creep shots when I found out a dude who used to work on my floor got arrested for that at a walgreens in uptown charlotte.
Jew Jitsu
Never Forgotten

Postby WampaOne » 14 Feb 2008, 06:30

Jew Jitsu wrote:well, the greatest of all time (IMHO), Ronaldo, looks to be done after another injury to his knee yesterday

Jew, can you specify your time frame? Personally, I think Ronaldo never really backed up what people felt he was all about. Except maybe in the 2002 World Cup, but that cup was the worst cup ever, and of course, if the ref didn?t blow the whistle on that phantom call in the Belgium goal while it was still 0x0, then I think no one would ever call this guy greatest of anything.

WampaOne
Friend of Lohan

Re: They Call It Football: The Consolidated Soccer Thread

Postby Jamie90 » 16 Feb 2008, 20:33

Liverpool are shit
Bosux on the Red Sox's Japanese Pitcher:
i will bet you 10 rupees and a well nourished goat that he ends up over .500
Jamie90
Rocky Balboa

Re:

Postby Jew Jitsu » 17 Feb 2008, 00:30

WampaOne wrote:
Jew Jitsu wrote:well, the greatest of all time (IMHO), Ronaldo, looks to be done after another injury to his knee yesterday

Jew, can you specify your time frame? Personally, I think Ronaldo never really backed up what people felt he was all about. Except maybe in the 2002 World Cup, but that cup was the worst cup ever, and of course, if the ref didn?t blow the whistle on that phantom call in the Belgium goal while it was still 0x0, then I think no one would ever call this guy greatest of anything.

on par with pele and maradona.

It's not simple to say what if's in terms of his career. What if he didn't have a nervous breakdown in 98 before the finals due to the brutal pressure? He had a crazy WC up to that point but he was too young to handle the whole thing. What if he didn't miss two years at Inter due to horrific injuries on his knee? His resume still speaks for itself

42 goals in 46 games for PSV
34 goals in 37 games for barca
25 goals in 32 games for Inter his first season
68 goals in 97 games for Real his first three season after two years off
player of the decade in Serie A 1996-2006 among other personal accomplishments.

played at the four of the best teams in his career and has been successful in each one (not so much at Milan but he still helped us win the CL by providing relief in Serie A for Inzaghi, Gilardino and Kaka to focus on the tournament)
Jew Jitsu
Never Forgotten

Re: Re:

Postby Rodney Farva » 17 Feb 2008, 12:51

Jew Jitsu wrote:
WampaOne wrote:

on par with pele and maradona.

It's not simple to say what if's in terms of his career. What if he didn't have a nervous breakdown in 98 before the finals due to the brutal pressure? He had a crazy WC up to that point but he was too young to handle the whole thing. What if he didn't miss two years at Inter due to horrific injuries on his knee? His resume still speaks for itself

42 goals in 46 games for PSV
34 goals in 37 games for barca
25 goals in 32 games for Inter his first season
68 goals in 97 games for Real his first three season after two years off
player of the decade in Serie A 1996-2006 among other personal accomplishments.

played at the four of the best teams in his career and has been successful in each one (not so much at Milan but he still helped us win the CL by providing relief in Serie A for Inzaghi, Gilardino and Kaka to focus on the tournament)

i don't think you can consider someone the best player ever if they can't handle the pressure at the game's biggest stage. not even close.
Rodney Farva
Your real father

Postby Jew Jitsu » 17 Feb 2008, 14:39

he was 21 for fucks sake. besides the next world cup he scored both goals in the finals against germany (plus scoring the most goals in a WC career) so he's able to handle the biggest stage
Jew Jitsu
Never Forgotten

Postby Rodney Farva » 17 Feb 2008, 15:22

i think that's weak sauce. he was 21, not like he was 16 or something. when pele was 17 he scored 6 goals in the world cup, including a hat trick in the semifinal and a brace in the final. please.
Rodney Farva
Your real father

Postby Jew Jitsu » 17 Feb 2008, 16:31

so you're comparing the pressures one superstar faces in the 90's as opposed to the 50's?

one had worldwide coverage around the clock and 1000's of stations and papers covering it while the other one was broadcast to a select few live and most people find out about it in the papers the next day. pele also had a 1 goal world cup in 62, do you hold that over his head?

besides, ronaldo dominated the best leagues as a 20 year old so he is used to pressure it's just that stuff happens. He also won the golden ball as the best player that tournament, while scoring 4 goals and getting brazil into the finals against the dutch.

i'm not making excuses but for something unusual to happen and to hold it over his head is just ridiculous imo

ETA: He also had a 1 goal world cup in 66 in england. now you're making me feel bad, talking like this about pele.
Jew Jitsu
Never Forgotten

Postby WampaOne » 17 Feb 2008, 17:29

I with Farva here. Do you have stats for continental cup competitions, when the pressure's on? Scoring tons of goals against Regginas, Alicante's and Herenveen of the world for 3 points doesn't really do it for me.

WampaOne
Friend of Lohan

Postby Jew Jitsu » 18 Feb 2008, 00:49

43 goals in 67 international club games for psv, inter, barca, and real
Jew Jitsu
Never Forgotten

Postby SDGuy » 18 Feb 2008, 02:00

Jew Jitsu wrote:
i'm not making excuses, except for all the ones above this sentence.

Fixed.
Montecore's Revenge wrote:Protip: When you slit your wrists make sure you go north-south and not east-west. It will be harder for them to save you and it won't send out as much of a "just a cry for help, not a serious attempt" vibe
SDGuy
Basketball Jesus

Next

Return to Other Sports