Bowlong

Bowlong

Postby Theny » 24 Jan 2007, 12:42

I can't believe there's not a bowling thread already.

Anyways, this girl I know plays in some league with her grandma during the week, and I guess they had this raffle where if you win, you play a few games with a couple pros that were coming into town the next weekend. Turns out she won, so I went down there Friday to see some real life Big Erns and Roy Munsons in action. Kingpin actually managed to make those guys look better than real life, somehow. They were all such scumbags, it was funny. I think I made the "it's pretty intimidating to be in the presence of such great athletes" joke like 5 different times. One of the dudes did bowl a perfect game while hitting on a 60 year old lady between frames though, which was pretty awesome. Bowling rules, I want to go pro.
Theny
Anchor Baby Daddy

Re: Bowling

Postby the cheese » 24 Jan 2007, 12:46

Theny wrote:I can't believe there's not a bowling thread already.

Anyways, this girl I know plays in some league with her grandma during the week, and I guess they had this raffle where if you win, you play a few games with a couple pros that were coming into town the next weekend. Turns out she won, so I went down there Friday to see some real life Big Erns and Roy Munsons in action. Kingpin actually managed to make those guys look better than real life, somehow. They were all such scumbags, it was funny. I think I made the "it's pretty intimidating to be in the presence of such great athletes" joke like 5 different times. One of the dudes did bowl a perfect game while hitting on a 60 year old lady between frames though, which was pretty awesome. Bowling rules, I want to go pro.

I read an article a while ago that talked about the 'seedy underbelly' of the PBA tour. Basically, nobody on the PBA tour makes enough money to live on, so most of them actually hustle the local lanes on the PBA tour stops, just like in Kingpin. I can see where they would get the scumbagness from.
Clayton Bigsby - Wed May 23, 2012 2:55 pm: i'd rather live with a guy who's kind of annoying but a nice guy than a guy who's kind of annoying and a dick
the cheese
The Douche

Postby Theny » 24 Jan 2007, 12:51

the cheese wrote:I read an article a while ago that talked about the 'seedy underbelly' of the PBA tour. Basically, nobody on the PBA tour makes enough money to live on, so most of them actually hustle the local lanes on the PBA tour stops, just like in Kingpin. I can see where they would get the scumbagness from.

Maybe I don't want to go pro....

There were some pretty nice RV's in the parking lot though...
Theny
Anchor Baby Daddy

Postby Ulysses Everett McGill » 24 Jan 2007, 13:08

the cheese wrote:
Theny wrote:I can't believe there's not a bowling thread already.

I read an article a while ago that talked about the 'seedy underbelly' of the PBA tour. Basically, nobody on the PBA tour makes enough money to live on, so most of them actually hustle the local lanes on the PBA tour stops, just like in Kingpin. I can see where they would get the scumbagness from.

That's all fairly true. I've bowled in a number of Pro-Am open events with those guys and there's only a few that a good guys. A number of them have "appearance fees" for local events which basically means that the center has to have a bottle of their favorite booze on hand just for them. I wish that I was kidding.

I was rarely dumb enough to get into 'pot games' [bowling versus one opponent for money] against the pro guys, but I've had more than my fair share of laughs watching guys in my league get hustled.
FRSB

[Mon 2:08] Dick Hertz: it's also called - "ringing the cowbell". ask tiff about it.
Ulysses Everett McGill
Smartest Guy In The Room

Postby Theny » 24 Jan 2007, 13:10

Ulysses Everett McGill wrote:I was rarely dumb enough to get into 'pot games' [bowling versus one opponent for money] against the pro guys, but I've had more than my fair share of laughs watching guys in my league get hustled.

How did the 'hustles' work though? Do they not know these guys are pros?
Theny
Anchor Baby Daddy

Postby Ulysses Everett McGill » 24 Jan 2007, 13:19

Theny wrote:
Ulysses Everett McGill wrote:I was rarely dumb enough to get into 'pot games' [bowling versus one opponent for money] against the pro guys, but I've had more than my fair share of laughs watching guys in my league get hustled.

How did the 'hustles' work though? Do they not know these guys are pros?

While the pros are clearly better bowlers over the long haul, they can easily be beaten by a good house bowler, so it isn't like hitting a homer of Clemens or anything.

For example, I averaged around 210 while some tour guys that occassionally bowled in my leagues averaged around 220 - 230. The hustle works by bowling for a small amount of money first, say $25 per game. The pro loses a game or two early and makes it look like he "just can't figure out the lanes" [oil pattern].

The pro may act frustrated, switch bowling balls a number of times, miss an easy spare here an there.

Once the money gets a bit higher $50 - $100 or more, the pro will suddenly hit his groove and rake in some dough.

A good house bowler might be steady through 5-6 games, but most pros can throw 15-20 games in a session without a problem.

It helps that, in general, a large number of really good house bowlers are dumb and really think that they can compete on the pro level, so they'll hang in there all night losing money.
FRSB

[Mon 2:08] Dick Hertz: it's also called - "ringing the cowbell". ask tiff about it.
Ulysses Everett McGill
Smartest Guy In The Room

Postby Theny » 24 Jan 2007, 13:23

That makes sense. Although after about 3-4 games I'd be out of there.
Theny
Anchor Baby Daddy

Postby Clayton Bigsby » 24 Jan 2007, 13:26

did you ever see guys know that they were getting hustled, so just leave with the tour guy's $100 after 4 games?
Clayton Bigsby
Head of the Snake

Postby Ulysses Everett McGill » 24 Jan 2007, 13:27

Theny wrote:That makes sense. Although after about 3-4 games I'd be out of there.

I usually ran when the stakes got higher than $25...won some, lost some.

Clayton Bigsby wrote:did you ever see guys know that they were getting hustled, so just leave with the tour guy's $100 after 4 games?

Oh yeah. Said pro usually resorts to calling you names at that point or finding another sucker. Remember, alcohol is prominently involved as well, so there were fights every so often as well. Usually provoked by the loud-mouthed guys [read: me] sitting in the back heckling.

Good times, I tell you, good times.
Last edited by Ulysses Everett McGill on 24 Jan 2007, 13:29, edited 1 time in total.
FRSB

Ulysses Everett McGill
Smartest Guy In The Room

Postby jack_daniels » 24 Jan 2007, 13:27

In a silly attempt to initialize social networking with those in my math classes in day and night school, we went bowling last week! Suffice to say most of thse guys are so socially retarded, it's sad. We spent most of that game complaining about school, and less on our lives. I tried changing that by talking about the football playoffs, but they don't watch sports! WTF....anyway I got their phone 's, emails, and then resorted to talking to my buddies in punjabi, telling them that I was fuckin dying here!! They left around 10 pm, and my friends came around 1030. I was on my second pitcher. I probably had 3 quarters of it, since 3 of them don't drink at all, and another guy started puking after I made him chug down his glass HAHA.

So my friends came, 2 more pitchers later and ibowled a 95, the shittiest game I ever played HAHA.

My best game ever was over the summer, I bowled a 192. Still rmember that game. I was IN THE GAMETM.
jack_daniels
Turban Legend

Postby Theny » 24 Jan 2007, 13:28

Ulysses Everett McGill wrote:
Theny wrote:That makes sense. Although after about 3-4 games I'd be out of there.

They didn't have a problem with that? Didn't try to put your right arm in the ball return machine?

By the way, how the hell that ball return machine cut off Munson's hand is beyond me. It's not a woodchipper you know.
Theny
Anchor Baby Daddy

Postby Ulysses Everett McGill » 24 Jan 2007, 13:38

Theny wrote:
Ulysses Everett McGill wrote:

They didn't have a problem with that? Didn't try to put your right arm in the ball return machine?

By the way, how the hell that ball return machine cut off Munson's hand is beyond me. It's not a woodchipper you know.

I almost never had a problem and certainly never reached a point where my hand was going to be chopped up by a machine incapable of doing more than administering a rug burn.

Let's just say that I've been yelled down by a pro for being a "pussy".
FRSB

Ulysses Everett McGill
Smartest Guy In The Room

Postby Theny » 24 Jan 2007, 13:43

Ulysses Everett McGill wrote:Let's just say that I've been yelled down by a pro for being a "pussy".

Haha, that's awesome. I will make it one of my goals in life for that to happen to me.
Theny
Anchor Baby Daddy

Postby Clayton Bigsby » 24 Jan 2007, 13:58

It would be nice to yell back, "I may be a pussy, but I'm a pussy who's walking away with a pro's money. Good luck on the tour!"
Clayton Bigsby
Head of the Snake

Postby Ulysses Everett McGill » 24 Jan 2007, 14:01

Clayton Bigsby wrote:It would be nice to yell back, "I may be a pussy, but I'm a pussy who's walking away with a pro's money. Good luck on the tour!"

Good call. Wish that you were with me at the time.

One time, after beating a pro for some money, I bought him a beer afterwards. When he thanked me, I laughingly replied "no big deal, dude, I bought it with your money."**

**Note - it's much less of a burn if you know that he and I were friends and it was all said in jest.
FRSB

Ulysses Everett McGill
Smartest Guy In The Room

Next

Return to Other Sports