Softball

Softball

Postby nova » 14 Jun 2006, 13:11

Instead of cluttering the Put Me On the Board and Rants threads with our game reports, let's start a thread here.

On Monday, my team won our first two games of the season. I pitched significantly better than usual, only walking five or six in the two games. At the plate I got on "hits" all but two times-- once popping up to short and the other a fielders choice. I started our game-winning rally in the 2nd game with triple over the LF's head, and scored on our next batter's home run.
nova
Thrifty Negro

Postby the cheese » 14 Jun 2006, 13:15

I'm a huge fan of this thread idea, Nova. Good call.
the cheese
The Douche

Postby Dunking Donut » 14 Jun 2006, 13:16

Both games this week got rained out...
Hopefully I have something worthwhile to post next week.
jew jitsu wrote:Shit is overblown honestly, if we are going by today's standard I committed sexual assault a bunch of times. Give me a break
Dunking Donut
The Bomb Dick

Postby Jamie90 » 14 Jun 2006, 13:16

Good idea for a thread

I will also post how I do in my "baseball" games since the quality of your softball games are higher than mine
Bosux on the Red Sox's Japanese Pitcher:
i will bet you 10 rupees and a well nourished goat that he ends up over .500
Jamie90
Rocky Balboa

Postby NFL Outsider » 14 Jun 2006, 14:52

I have this theory that you can judge a player by the amount of gear that he is wearing to play softball. Dudes wearing any sort of baseball clothing are markedly worse than guys who do not. A guy that wears either a jersey or baseball pants automatically goes into the ?suck? list. If I see a guy wearing pants and a jersey, I?m playing him just outside of the dirt. Conversely, a guy wearing board shorts and a T-shirt will typically be the best guy on the team. Maybe it?s just a West Coast thing, but that has been my findings.
NFL Outsider
Smartest Guy In The Room

Postby CT4SOX » 14 Jun 2006, 14:59

I honestly had no idea that we had this many chicks on the board!!!!1111!
2007 SOTSG March Madness Tourney Challenge Champion
CT4SOX
Hope College Alum

Postby Fletch » 14 Jun 2006, 15:11

NFL Outsider wrote:I have this theory that you can judge a player by the amount of gear that he is wearing to play softball. Dudes wearing any sort of baseball clothing are markedly worse than guys who do not. A guy that wears either a jersey or baseball pants automatically goes into the ?suck? list. If I see a guy wearing pants and a jersey, I?m playing him just outside of the dirt. Conversely, a guy wearing board shorts and a T-shirt will typically be the best guy on the team. Maybe it?s just a West Coast thing, but that has been my findings.

Our whole team wears jerseys, but I don't think we suck. The team has been around for over a decade. They are sleeveless and pinstriped. Some guys wears baseball-style pants with them, others wear shorts - I wear shorts.

I'm upset at the timing of this thread. All my leagues just ended - this being hot-as-the-sun Arizona, our Spring leagues end in the beginning of June and don't start up again until late August/early September.

ETA - second on the "good idea for a thread", nova. You're on a roll today.
nasty nova wrote:I'm a meaningless piece of shit
Fletch
The Bomb Dick

Postby the cheese » 14 Jun 2006, 15:14

The only gear I have is a knee brace, knee stabilizer, and an ankle brace. Gym shorts, t shirt, and shoes are it. There's a douchebag on my law firm team that has 2 batting gloves, wrist bands, forearm bands, flip up shades (for night games) and eye black. This is all worn with a complete lack of irony. I hate that guy.

CT4SOX wrote:I honestly had no idea that we had this many chicks on the board!!!!1111!

I play softball because I'm a complete has-been trying to channel the days when I was cool. That and I want to kiss some ass.

What positions do you guys normally play? I generally play left due to the fact that while slow, I have the best arm on the team. I typically play deep and run in on everything, while our guy in left center plays shallow to cut off anything short.
the cheese
The Douche

Postby Rodney Farva » 14 Jun 2006, 15:51

i used to run the softball team at work. we always got shirts and hats, but that was it. otherwise it was stake some ground near the washington monument and keep an eye on the cops who didn't like us drinking beer.

one day a guy showed up interested in playing with us. he brought along a bigger equipment bag than we had for the whole team. included in his gear:

- stickum spray
- three batting gloves (two for batting -- huge red flag there -- and one for under the glove while fielding)
- a super-expensive bat that had its own protective sleeve
- a worn-in glove, a new glove and a bottle of oil to break it in
- about 15 softballs, or 5-10 more than the entire team used
- some kind of neoprene elbow wrap/support
- prescription athletic sunglasses, which he wore even though it was overcast and threatening rain.... i'm sure he had some eyeblack in there just incase el sol popped out of the clouds to make an appearance
- a few ace bandages and instant ice packs, "just in case, ha ha"
- mis-matched baseball jersey and pants. this was to our one half-hearted preseason "practice" which we only had because the other two teams from work who were really hardass insisted we do so

and, shockingly, he sucked. hard. it was a low-key co-ed team with really easy lob pitching, and he actually wiffed a few times, and then just hit pop-ups around the infield. followed by much muttering and re-adjusting of the gloves and johnson. he had all the range at third of a steel girder bridge, but with holes in it, and had an arm like craig nettles....sorry, not craig nettles, i meant paul lynde.

thankfully he never showed up again, i think he might have noticed all the snickering and figured out we weren't for him.
You coin contrarian bro and say shit nonsense like this.
Rodney Farva
Your real father

Postby Dunking Donut » 14 Jun 2006, 15:56

The majority of folks in our league and our team wear the full uniform (matching shirts are required). A number of guys have $300-500 bats.

In your casual office league, I'm an all-star. In this one I'm a scrub. A couple guys on our team played college ball -- and we're in last place. It's pretty competitive.
jew jitsu wrote:Shit is overblown honestly, if we are going by today's standard I committed sexual assault a bunch of times. Give me a break
Dunking Donut
The Bomb Dick

Postby nova » 14 Jun 2006, 15:58

We have t-shirts, and we all try to sport blue Washington Nats hats. We're 2-12.

As for positions, I've played pitcher for every game this year, except for one when I played LCF.
nova
Thrifty Negro

Postby the cheese » 14 Jun 2006, 16:01

Dunking Donut wrote:The majority of folks in our league and our team wear the full uniform (matching shirts are required). A number of guys have $300-500 bats.

In your casual office league, I'm an all-star. In this one I'm a scrub. A couple guys on our team played college ball -- and we're in last place. It's pretty competitive.

The IM league at OU was the most incredibly competitive thing I've ever seen. I probably cared more about those games than all but a few hs baseball games (and we made the Legion WS one time...got slaughtered, and I went 0-for the experience) There was at least one fight a day, and usually it was a donnybrooke.
the cheese
The Douche

Postby NFL Outsider » 14 Jun 2006, 18:18

Matching T-shirts, I have found, does not equate to suckiness. Matching T-shirts with the two-buttons on top means scoot-in incase this dude gets a hold of one. Cropped baseball/coaching shorts with softball pads mean that this guy is going to go F7.

If somebody on your team wears No. 69, you are doomed!
NFL Outsider
Smartest Guy In The Room

Postby Rodney Farva » 15 Jun 2006, 02:38

i drove past some kind of co-ed office league softball game a couple weeks ago in DC, which looked relatively low-key. each team had t-shirts, one of which i could see had numbers and names on the backs. one dorky looking dude had "he hate me" on his, which i thought was pretty funny.
You coin contrarian bro and say shit nonsense like this.
Rodney Farva
Your real father

Postby NFL Outsider » 15 Jun 2006, 12:49

I'm still down with a "He Hate Me." The XFL will never go out of style.
NFL Outsider
Smartest Guy In The Room

Next

Return to Other Sports