Cricket

Re: Cricket

Postby Mario Speedwagon » 27 Nov 2014, 16:07

Only 25 years old, the country is in shock. India, New Zealand & Pakistan have called off their matches. Australia's match against India next week might no go ahead.
#2C4S

Mario Speedwagon
Trackies n' Tinnies

Postby Theny » 27 Nov 2014, 17:37

Give me the American athlete equivalent to him
Theny
Anchor Baby Daddy

Postby BigJohnStudd » 27 Nov 2014, 19:02

Theny wrote:Give me the American athlete equivalent to him

Len Bias.
BigJohnStudd
Skin Suit

Postby Theny » 27 Nov 2014, 20:04

BigJohnStudd wrote:

Len Bias.

Solid chuckle.
Theny
Anchor Baby Daddy

Postby Frank the Tank » 27 Nov 2014, 20:28

Chris Bosh.
2015 SOTSG Fantasy Football Champion

BostonSucksMyBalls 11/2/2016: "I hate the internet. No accountability. Just a wasteland of shitheads."
Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet

Postby SouthernYokel » 27 Nov 2014, 20:35

if we're being serial, either hank gathers (heart defect) or Dale Earnhardt (wall)
JT99 wrote:imagine working your entire board life on being a guy investigating every nook and cranny of others' sexual lives only to have some drunken baboon stumble into the r&t jackpot
SouthernYokel
Hank the Hangover Turtle

Postby Frank the Tank » 27 Nov 2014, 20:44

SouthernYokel wrote:

if we're being serial, either hank gathers (heart defect) or Dale Earnhardt (wall)

Earnhardt is the better analogy. This guy was healthy and died from a freak in-game accident that didn't look like it shod be so severe.

BostonSucksMyBalls 11/2/2016: "I hate the internet. No accountability. Just a wasteland of shitheads."
Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet

Postby BostonSucksMyBalls » 28 Nov 2014, 12:12

I have read about this, and I don't get how this happened. Nor do I have any idea how this sport is played. Is it like baseball? Did this nigga get hit by a pitch, or a batted ball?
PS: I will never like July 27th. It will always be the day Reggie died. I just hate this day. True Celtic fans know what I mean.
BostonSucksMyBalls
Work Creep

Postby Frank the Tank » 28 Nov 2014, 14:15

BostonSucksMyBalls wrote:I have read about this, and I don't get how this happened. Nor do I have any idea how this sport is played. Is it like baseball? Did this nigga get hit by a pitch, or a batted ball?

Ball, excellent question. In cricket, to simplify, people "throw" (they say "bowl") the ball in one of two ways. With "pace" or with "spin". You're allowed to bounce the ball on the way to the batter, so a spin bowler will intentionally bounce the ball to make it difficult for the batsman to react.

Note the apparatus behind the batsman. It's three posts with two little pieces of wood balanced on top of them. If the bowler hits those pieces tall posts with the ball in such a way that one or both "bails" (smaller stick) falls to the ground, the batter is out. It's like a one-pitch strikeout. The main difference between cricket and baseball is that if you hit the ball, you don't have to run. Imagine a game of baseball where if the batter grounded to second and figured he'd be an easy out, he just chose not to run and got to keep batting. That's the way cricket works, and that's why games take five fucking days. To cricket's credit, people have realized that there needs to be a quicker format, and there are new version that can take one day, or even three-ish hours (called "Twenty20").

So, the bowler threw the ball off the ground, and took an odd hop, coming straight up at the batsman, hitting him at the base of the skull in an area unprotected by the helmet. This blow eventually killed him.

This has been today's installment of "FTT pretends to know stuff he doesn't know." Tune in next week as I discuss sobriety.

ETA: here is where he got hit. Hard to tell exactly what's happening because video is from internet feed and is herky-jerky (technical term).

Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet

Postby mj3528 » 28 Nov 2014, 14:59

Frank the Tank wrote:
SouthernYokel wrote:

Earnhardt is the better analogy. This guy was healthy and died from a freak in-game accident that didn't look like it shod be so severe.

I am going to go with Ray Chapman as the analogy. Jike knows what I mean. #teepeetalk
2009 NFL Pick 'em Champion
SOTSG Fantasy Basketball (Almost Entirely) 2012 Champion
2015 SOTSG NFL Survivor Champion, Part 2
2015 SOTSG Death Pool Co-Champion
mj3528
Never Forgotten

Postby Mario Speedwagon » 28 Nov 2014, 15:15

Pretty good summation, Tank. Almost all deliveries from the bowler bounce before they reach the batsman - the slower bowlers can make it spin after bouncing and the faster bowlers can make the ball swing in the air (like a cutter or sinker, maybe), it's considered really poor form to bowl a "full toss" (bean ball) which is a ball that reaches the batsman without bouncing and the umpire will send you off the field immediately if he deems you've done it on purpose.

I am not sure there is a true comparison with anyone in American sport because Hughes was a member of the national cricket team and cricket is the national sport and competes globally, while the NFL is club based & even Dream Team players are considered Bulls, Lakers or Thunder players before being USA players.

His youth and fight against adversity have also made people really feel terrible about what's happened.

Because of the mobility required when batting, there is no way to adequately protect the area where Hughes got hit without drastically affecting the mobility of being able to turn your head. Hughes has always been susceptible to that kind of delivery & turning his back on the ball like he did is considered a huge no-no, technically. When I was a little kid players sometimes didn't even wear helmets so they weren't as fearless, which may have been a good thing.

Hughes is having a State Funeral next week at the SCG, the stadium where he died & his original home ground & they're expecting 60,000 attendees:

ETA: The front page of SOTSG's own newspaper today:

#2C4S

Mario Speedwagon
Trackies n' Tinnies

Postby Mario Speedwagon » 20 Jan 2015, 14:14

Another step to America's domination of another world sport:

http://edition.cnn.com/2015/01/20/sport ... index.html
#2C4S

Mario Speedwagon
Trackies n' Tinnies

Postby Mario Speedwagon » 27 Jan 2015, 07:45

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/cricket/30999008

Pakistan all-rounder Haris Sohail was left "visibly shaken" and unable to train after an apparent ghostly encounter in a New Zealand hotel room.

Sohail, 26, says "a supernatural presence" woke him up by shaking his bed, forcing him to seek refuge in the room of a team coach.
#2C4S

Mario Speedwagon
Trackies n' Tinnies

Postby Rodney Farva » 11 Mar 2015, 12:38

this pictures in the article don't show it as well as they look on tv, but scotland's jerseykit for the world cup are prettay prettay sweet with the tartan shoulders/sleeves and the st andrew's cross on the chest

this pic looks a little better

You coin contrarian bro and say shit nonsense like this.
Rodney Farva
Your real father

Postby Rodney Farva » 26 Mar 2015, 11:35

Australia knocked the snot out of India and will face NZin the final. Will pull to the Kiwis for the upset but don't think it happens.
You coin contrarian bro and say shit nonsense like this.
Rodney Farva
Your real father

PreviousNext

Return to Other Sports