Curling

Re: Curling

Postby Frank the Tank » 02 Mar 2010, 14:44

babylurch wrote:I did not realize that that was a curling club. I used to go there when it was a skating rink.

As I understand it, it still is a skating rink. They just have curling lines painted on the ice as well. You can easily fit four sheets in a standard hockey rink. Norfolk is the only place in CT with ice dedicated solely to curling.
2015 SOTSG Fantasy Football Champion

BostonSucksMyBalls 11/2/2016: "I hate the internet. No accountability. Just a wasteland of shitheads."
Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet

Postby myherobobhope » 02 Mar 2010, 14:56

Frank the Tank wrote:
babylurch wrote:I did not realize that that was a curling club. I used to go there when it was a skating rink.

As I understand it, it still is a skating rink. They just have curling lines painted on the ice as well. You can easily fit four sheets in a standard hockey rink. Norfolk is the only place in CT with ice dedicated solely to curling.

Can you explain why hockey rink ice is bad for curling? Someone said it during the olympic telecast but failed to explain it.
Frank the Tank: If you think highly of humanity as a whole, then you're retarded. There are no exceptions to that rule.
myherobobhope
Smartest Guy In The Room

Postby Frank the Tank » 02 Mar 2010, 15:24

myherobobhope wrote:
Frank the Tank wrote:

Can you explain why hockey rink ice is bad for curling? Someone said it during the olympic telecast but failed to explain it.

it's not ideal because in hockey the ice should ideally be as smooth as possible, but in curling you want the ice to be bumpy (they call it "pebbled"). Before a curling match they go out on the ice with a "pebbler", which is just a hose full of warm water that sprays a few droplets. Those droplets freeze quickly enough after contact that they don't flatten out, making the surface of the ice bumpy. This uneven surface is what allows the rocks to curve as they glide down the ice (I'll spare you the physics). The sweepers aren't really "cleaning" the ice, but rather they're making friction to melt the pebble, which allows the rock to move further and curve less.

When you curl on a hockey rink you often need to pebble two or three times to get the ice in a condition where the rocks will curl properly, and when you switch back to hockey/skating you need to have the Zamboni take multiple passes to break down the pebble all the way so that there's no chatter when the skate blades pass over the curling sheet. It's also not good for the stones to keep removing them from the ice (the whole freeze/thaw thing). Most clubs don't put away their stones until the season is over.

BostonSucksMyBalls 11/2/2016: "I hate the internet. No accountability. Just a wasteland of shitheads."
Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet

Postby myherobobhope » 04 Mar 2010, 15:05

Frank the Tank wrote:
myherobobhope wrote:
Frank the Tank wrote:

it's not ideal because in hockey the ice should ideally be as smooth as possible, but in curling you want the ice to be bumpy (they call it "pebbled"). Before a curling match they go out on the ice with a "pebbler", which is just a hose full of warm water that sprays a few droplets. Those droplets freeze quickly enough after contact that they don't flatten out, making the surface of the ice bumpy. This uneven surface is what allows the rocks to curve as they glide down the ice (I'll spare you the physics). The sweepers aren't really "cleaning" the ice, but rather they're making friction to melt the pebble, which allows the rock to move further and curve less.

When you curl on a hockey rink you often need to pebble two or three times to get the ice in a condition where the rocks will curl properly, and when you switch back to hockey/skating you need to have the Zamboni take multiple passes to break down the pebble all the way so that there's no chatter when the skate blades pass over the curling sheet. It's also not good for the stones to keep removing them from the ice (the whole freeze/thaw thing). Most clubs don't put away their stones until the season is over.

That makes sense.

Follow up question: Do the curlers always take a straight line when they throw? it seems like a diagonal approach (similar to the line a professional bowler takes) could be advantageous in certain circumstances.

Also, couldn't they get more curl on the stones? They don't seem to spin the stone very much. It seems to me (someone who has never been within 100 miles of real curling) that they could take better angles with bigger sweeps. Please explain to me why I am wrong.

Thanks!
Frank the Tank: If you think highly of humanity as a whole, then you're retarded. There are no exceptions to that rule.
myherobobhope
Smartest Guy In The Room

Postby Frank the Tank » 04 Mar 2010, 15:39

1) the curlers frequently take a slight diagonal approach after pushing off from the hack

2) there comes a point at which you're spinning the stone so much that it just creates too much friction and slows it down too much. About seven full rotations during a trip down the ice is roughly the max rotations you want, but that number varies based on stone condition and ice quality. Occasionally a club will have a stone with a small Nick or irregular bottom contact ring that curls more than the other stones. They call that a "cutter". Those aren't desired because you don't want every guard to be easy to curl around.

Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet

Postby myherobobhope » 04 Mar 2010, 15:57

Frank the Tank wrote:1) the curlers frequently take a slight diagonal approach after pushing off from the hack

2) there comes a point at which you're spinning the stone so much that it just creates too much friction and slows it down too much. About seven full rotations during a trip down the ice is roughly the max rotations you want, but that number varies based on stone condition and ice quality. Occasionally a club will have a stone with a small Nick or irregular bottom contact ring that curls more than the other stones. They call that a "cutter". Those aren't desired because you don't want every guard to be easy to curl around.

Couldn't you compensate for the loss of speed with more power? Or is curling such a "touch" game that you want to consistently throw with around the same amount of power?
myherobobhope
Smartest Guy In The Room

Postby Frank the Tank » 04 Mar 2010, 16:04

myherobobhope wrote:
Frank the Tank wrote:1) the curlers frequently take a slight diagonal approach after pushing off from the hack

Couldn't you compensate for the loss of speed with more power? Or is curling such a "touch" game that you want to consistently throw with around the same amount of power?

At the risk of over-simplifying, there are two types of shots in curling: draws and take-outs. Draws are touch shots where you want to place the stone as close to a specific spot as possible. Take-out are where you want to knock one or more rocks out of play with your shot. You generally don't want to curl your take-outs too much (they tend to be straight shots), and pinpoint accuracy is the goal of draws, so that's why you so rarely see high-spin shots.

Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet

Postby myherobobhope » 04 Mar 2010, 16:11

Frank the Tank wrote:
myherobobhope wrote:

At the risk of over-simplifying, there are two types of shots in curling: draws and take-outs. Draws are touch shots where you want to place the stone as close to a specific spot as possible. Take-out are where you want to knock one or more rocks out of play with your shot. You generally don't want to curl your take-outs too much (they tend to be straight shots), and pinpoint accuracy is the goal of draws, so that's why you so rarely see high-spin shots.

Thanks Frank, I'm done with my dumb questions for now.
myherobobhope
Smartest Guy In The Room

Postby Frank the Tank » 18 Dec 2011, 17:08

My old curling club got torched last night. I'm really pissed. I hope they rebuild it.

I hope the arsonists spend an awfully long time in jail. Cockbags.

Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet

Postby chrisco » 18 Dec 2011, 19:14

Frank the Tank wrote:My old curling club got torched last night. I'm really pissed. I hope they rebuild it.

Little confused here. The cockbags were apprehended after being involved in a car accident where their vehicle was filled with incriminating evidence (yet another case where if you walked you would not have got caught). Did aforementioned cockbags call the cops themselves or did that hit someone else who called the cops? The article is not clear, but implies that these dicksnots were the guys calling the cops.
BostonSucksMyBalls - Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:03 am: I listen bc ive listened for about 25 years. I need to see this stupid thing thru.
chrisco
Madoff

Postby Frank the Tank » 18 Dec 2011, 20:14

chrisco wrote:
Frank the Tank wrote:My old curling club got torched last night. I'm really pissed. I hope they rebuild it.

Little confused here. The cockbags were apprehended after being involved in a car accident where their vehicle was filled with incriminating evidence (yet another case where if you walked you would not have got caught). Did aforementioned cockbags call the cops themselves or did that hit someone else who called the cops? The article is not clear, but implies that these dicksnots were the guys calling the cops.

I do not know if the choadtwats called the police or not. I just hope whatever gherkinocelots are guilty do time and get prison raped.

Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet

Postby BostonSucksMyBalls » 18 Dec 2011, 20:19

Frank the Tank wrote:
chrisco wrote:

I do not know if the choadtwats called the police or not. I just hope whatever gherkinocelots are guilty do time and get prison raped.

I heard a rumor that the owner of the club paid these guys to torch the place for the insurance money. I didnt actually hear that, but if this were a TV Show, thats definitely what would come out.
PS: I will never like July 27th. It will always be the day Reggie died. I just hate this day. True Celtic fans know what I mean.

"i'm relatively confident her asshole" - Farva
BostonSucksMyBalls
Slave to Uber

Postby Gregs Kite » 16 Mar 2012, 10:56

Apr 22, 2015 3:49 pm Clayton Bigsby i enjoy sports

Magnum - Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:36 pm: perhaps my reaction was built up greg hatred finally coming through. fuck that guy.

Frank the Tank wrote:If I die I leave my red font to Kite.
Gregs Kite
Friend of Friends

Postby Frank the Tank » 11 Feb 2014, 21:24

USA Curling grade so far in these Olympics: F.

First seven-spot scored in Olympic history. The US women gave it up to Great Britain.

Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet

Postby Clayton Bigsby » 11 Feb 2014, 22:15

LOL. That's like giving up 25 runs in one inning in baseball.
Clayton Bigsby
Head of the Snake

PreviousNext

Return to Other Sports