Curling

Re: Curling

Postby Clayton Bigsby » 21 Feb 2010, 09:58

The Canada / Great Britain Game last night was some great curling. Gretzky was there talking about what great athletes curlers are, ha.
Clayton Bigsby
Head of the Snake

Postby Dunking Donut » 21 Feb 2010, 11:13

Spike should get the rights. They have rugby - it'd be cool to pick up another int'l sport. If I were to start my own sports network I'd pick it up with rugby, handball, and lacrosse. All the shit espn doesn't have and use actual facts and analysis when doing reporting. Dare to dream.

Anyway, Charlotte apparently has a curling club. I can sign up and go to a demonstration. It looks like fun.

So, if I understand it right, the team with the rock (or rocks) closest to the button gets the point(s) as long as it is in the green circle. And once it goes past that line, the other team can sweep it out. What was confusing was all the different people making the throws. Do they have to take turns or something like a batting order?
jew jitsu wrote:Shit is overblown honestly, if we are going by today's standard I committed sexual assault a bunch of times. Give me a break
Dunking Donut
The Bomb Dick

Postby myherobobhope » 21 Feb 2010, 12:18

Dunking Donut wrote:Spike should get the rights. They have rugby - it'd be cool to pick up another int'l sport. If I were to start my own sports network I'd pick it up with rugby, handball, and lacrosse. All the shit espn doesn't have and use actual facts and analysis when doing reporting. Dare to dream.

Anyway, Charlotte apparently has a curling club. I can sign up and go to a demonstration. It looks like fun.

So, if I understand it right, the team with the rock (or rocks) closest to the button gets the point(s) as long as it is in the green circle. And once it goes past that line, the other team can sweep it out. What was confusing was all the different people making the throws. Do they have to take turns or something like a batting order?

From what I understand, there are 4 people per team, each person throws 2 stones. The team is ranked from 4-1 and throw in that order, with the Captain getting the final throws.
Frank the Tank: If you think highly of humanity as a whole, then you're retarded. There are no exceptions to that rule.
myherobobhope
Smartest Guy In The Room

Postby Frank the Tank » 21 Feb 2010, 14:01

chrisco wrote:
Frank the Tank wrote:
mister bacon wrote:i have been so obsessed with curling this olympics. why the fuck is are country choking? :sniff:

and that chik from denmark looks like the kind of broad you would see at a death metal concert. i definitely would hit that shit.

Are country is coming along. Both the men and women have won two in a row. It's definitely too late for the men though, and probably too late for the women.

I watched one of the Canadian games the other night though and it just takes one look at Martin's rink to see how far the US has to go before they can compete regularly on the world stage. It's all a crapshoot when you get to the medal round though. If the US sent our national championship team to the Brier they'd be the worst team there.

There's gotta be a way to get more coverage of this sport here in non-Olympic years. This is the second straight Olympics where curling has generated very respectable viewing numbers. If we have enough excess broadcasting capacity to show the PBA, we should be able to handle some televised curling.

Curling is a pretty good DVR sport. I've been taping them because that and the afternoon hockey game run in one big block on CNBC. While Frank may frown on my lack of commitment to the game, fast forwarding each end until there are only 3 rocks left has been working out well.

ETA: everyone throws 2 stones like CMBH said. The skip (captain) traditionally calls all the strategy and throws the last two stones in each end, but that's not mandatory. You have to keep the same order for the game, but can switch it up each game if you want. Everyone sweeps except for the skips, who traditionally only sweep in the house. You're allowed to sweep your own rocks at any time, but you can only sweep your opponents rocks once they're past the tee line (the line that bisects the button horizontally).

That's how I watch it most of the time. I'll watch it front-to-back on a day like today when I've got other stuff to do between rocks, but when I've got two matches to watch from earlier in the day I'll fast forward through plenty of it, taking roughly 45-60 minutes per game.

Canada just pwned the US in women's curling. I didn't expect the US had any chance of winning that game, but losing 9-2 in seven ends is far worse than I expected. They're done.
2015 SOTSG Fantasy Football Champion

BostonSucksMyBalls 11/2/2016: "I hate the internet. No accountability. Just a wasteland of shitheads."
Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet

Postby mister bacon » 21 Feb 2010, 16:42

soooo.. it turns out we sent a team to the olympics that lost league night in duluth. wonderful. usa curling has GOT to get its act together. this is atrocious.

http://deadspin.com/5476656/best-in-the ... -minnesota
2006 SOTSG ESPN March Madness Tourney Challenge Champion
2010 SOTSG NFL Pick 'Em Champion

mj3528 wrote: I hate panhandlers with dogs. I feel so bad for the dog.

ctz31 - Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:30 pm: I'm gonna win a chip w romo. I'm done w blacks. No offense
mister bacon
Black on Both Sides

Postby Frank the Tank » 21 Feb 2010, 19:25

mister bacon wrote:soooo.. it turns out we sent a team to the olympics that lost league night in duluth. wonderful. usa curling has GOT to get its act together. this is atrocious.

http://deadspin.com/5476656/best-in-the ... -minnesota

It happens. The best team has an off night. It's like saying that that the Phillies don't belong to be in the major leagues anymore when the Pirates beat them in a single game. This team won the US Championship in 2009, and the team that should've beat them had a final-rock choke in the final game (I think I posted about it a year ago in this thread) that was worse than anything Shuster's done in this Olympics. While they've been a disappointment, I don't have a problem with the prior year's national champion representing the team. They spent a year training together and playing some serious international tournaments, but they only made the top four teams in one out of their last ten. They had the right practice regimen. They're just not executing. When you only have 15K curlers across the whole nation you can't expect to draw from the deepest talent pool.

The Canadian women's team was not the consensus best team in the nation, but they won their qualifying tournament. They're still undefeated. I really think it's just a failure to execute. The US men could've won three of their first four games. They've been good enough to be in it, but they're just choking when it counts. Call it A-Rod-itis.

ETA: that shot against Great Britain tonight where they had an easy 2 and tried to get 3 but fucked it up by being greedy and gave up 1 was the perfect summary for the US's Olympic bonspiel. Everything that could go wrong has.

BostonSucksMyBalls 11/2/2016: "I hate the internet. No accountability. Just a wasteland of shitheads."
Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet

Postby Frank the Tank » 28 Feb 2010, 09:15

I have a busy week and you fuckers let this thread die? Bastards.

Sondra Schmirler wept when Bernard choked in the 10th and 11th.

Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet

Postby chrisco » 28 Feb 2010, 09:59

Frank the Tank wrote:I have a busy week.

Busy week? More like a busy new job. You lied to us man.
BostonSucksMyBalls - Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:03 am: I listen bc ive listened for about 25 years. I need to see this stupid thing thru.
chrisco
Madoff

Postby someguysomewhere » 28 Feb 2010, 11:42

Frank the Tank wrote:I have a busy week and you fuckers let this thread die? Bastards.

Sondra Schmirler wept when Bernard choked in the 10th and 11th.

I loved the Canadian politeness of Bernard and her team there.

Bernard wrote:Sorry.

That much less attractive woman that was always on camera talking to Bernard wrote:That's OK.
the very best of _:

Mar 15
if im cooking frozen pizza in the oven, how long should i preheat it. box says preheat to 375F but for how long?

Apr 25
the opportunity cost of knowing how to preheat an oven is pretty puny compared to anything else
someguysomewhere
TRU Patriot

Postby Frank the Tank » 28 Feb 2010, 17:58

chrisco wrote:
Frank the Tank wrote:I have a busy week.

Busy week? More like a busy new job. You lied to us man.

It's not lying if you believe it when you say it. :cry:

Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet

Postby Clayton Bigsby » 28 Feb 2010, 18:43

That was some pretty weak curling by the Canadian chick in the 10th an 11th. At least Martin pulled a Crosby and came through in the clutch.
Clayton Bigsby
Head of the Snake

Postby Frank the Tank » 28 Feb 2010, 19:24

Clayton Bigsby wrote:That was some pretty weak curling by the Canadian chick in the 10th an 11th. At least Martin pulled a Crosby and came through in the clutch.

Martin's curling was super-human during the Olympics. The ease with which he executed double take-outs was astonishing.

Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet

Postby OJ8871440 » 01 Mar 2010, 02:59

I might have to head up to Bridgeport this weekend

One of my friends did it this weekend, claims his first shot went inside the four foot ring of the house
Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:39 pm Dr Jeckyll who the hell reads OJ posts?
OJ8871440
Rocky Balboa

Postby Frank the Tank » 01 Mar 2010, 09:21

OJ8871440 wrote:I might have to head up to Bridgeport this weekend

One of my friends did it this weekend, claims his first shot went inside the four foot ring of the house

I highly recommend it. You'll have a blast. Wear comfortable, stretchy pants. That delivery motion is not friendly to tight-fitting jeans.

Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet

Postby babylurch » 02 Mar 2010, 14:40

I did not realize that that was a curling club. I used to go there when it was a skating rink.
2013 Jason McElwaine Regional Champion
babylurch
Basketball Jesus

PreviousNext

Return to Other Sports