Lacrosse vs. any sport

Lacrosse vs. any sport

Postby The Last Jet Fan » 29 Dec 2005, 16:38

Rather than dig down six feet to get to the buried and dead lax thread I thought I would try and start anew.

I will pacify some of the controversy by saying that I like and respect most all sports but cannot see how playing any of them could be better than or more enjoyable than LAX.

I need some help here, who can tell me why lacrosse is worse than another sport. And don't bring out fan numbers or TV ratings (we could always compare growth rates of the sport in the US) keep it to the sport itself.
The Last Jet Fan
Farva's Driver

Postby theken » 29 Dec 2005, 16:43

It's too hard of a sport to pick up. Learning how to catch and shoot would be pretty difficult. I guess the game just isn't as appealing as others. The equipment isn't common enough either.
theken
Smartest Guy In The Room

Postby The Last Jet Fan » 29 Dec 2005, 16:46

theken wrote:It's too hard of a sport to pick up. Learning how to catch and shoot would be pretty difficult. I guess the game just isn't as appealing as others. The equipment isn't common enough either.

Good point. But with hockey, football, skiing, golf, people find a way to get the gear. It is definitely not as cheap as soccer.
The Last Jet Fan
Farva's Driver

Postby Steve O » 29 Dec 2005, 16:50

Does it really have to be called LAX? Is the second syllable in Lacrosse really that difficult to say?

I move that we outlaw the words Lacrosse and, more importantly, LAX, and just represent them with a symbol.
Steve O
Grantland Editor

Postby Tecmo Bo » 29 Dec 2005, 16:51

hockey, football, skiing, golf are already popular and common, though the expense of hockey equipment is often cited as a prohibitive factor to the sport's growth. Golf and Skiing are similarly expensive and exclude certain demographics because of that. The equipment is pricey and you have to pay to use it (at a green or slope). Golf and skiing though are recreational pursuits, things people do to relax. LAX is not.
bosux191820042090: what kills more is that now more than ever the team needs him[A-Rod] to put it on his back, and he can't...i hate to say this, but if given a choice i would rather have ortiz on my team any day
Tecmo Bo
The Bomb Dick

Postby theken » 29 Dec 2005, 16:52

I guess it comes down to the sport not being as marketable then. I don't know how big lacrosse is in USA, but up north, where it's considered our national sport, it really isn't too popular. Out of the 1200 kids at my school, I only know of 20 kids that play lacrosse. Whereas hockey, there are at least 200 kids playing in a league at school. Remember, golf only became popular because of Tiger Woods. The TV deals, sponsorships, big purses came after Tiger got into the mix.
theken
Smartest Guy In The Room

Postby SouthernYokel » 29 Dec 2005, 16:54

i dunno theken, golf was starting to peak before tiger. I think John Daly is the real hero for the PGA, he's the guy people really started coming out to see.
JT99 wrote:imagine working your entire board life on being a guy investigating every nook and cranny of others' sexual lives only to have some drunken baboon stumble into the r&t jackpot
SouthernYokel
Hank the Hangover Turtle

Postby Briandong79 » 29 Dec 2005, 16:54

theken wrote:Remember, golf only became popular because of Tiger Woods.

Well, the pro LAX league is owned by the "Body By Jake" guy!

I think lacrosse is fun to watch, but I've never played it, and at this point in my life, have no particular desire to learn. Its definitely growing, but I can't see it ever being more than a niche sport.
PhillyJim76 - Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:20 am: X?I wrote a disturbing clueless fan fiction story that got me in hot water in college
Briandong79
Beep Boop

Postby The Last Jet Fan » 29 Dec 2005, 16:59

Steve O wrote:Does it really have to be called LAX? Is the second syllable in Lacrosse really that difficult to say?

I move that we outlaw the words Lacrosse and, more importantly, LAX, and just represent them with a symbol.

what symbol do you propose?
The Last Jet Fan
Farva's Driver

Postby Tecmo Bo » 29 Dec 2005, 17:03

The Last Jet Fan wrote:
Steve O wrote:Does it really have to be called LAX? Is the second syllable in Lacrosse really that difficult to say?

what symbol do you propose?

_
bosux191820042090: what kills more is that now more than ever the team needs him[A-Rod] to put it on his back, and he can't...i hate to say this, but if given a choice i would rather have ortiz on my team any day
Tecmo Bo
The Bomb Dick

Postby The Last Jet Fan » 29 Dec 2005, 17:03

Briandean79 wrote:
theken wrote:Remember, golf only became popular because of Tiger Woods.

Well, the pro LAX league is owned by the "Body By Jake" guy!

I think lacrosse is fun to watch, but I've never played it, and at this point in my life, have no particular desire to learn. Its definitely growing, but I can't see it ever being more than a niche sport.

Who doesn't like Jake? Admittedly pro lax does not have a large following except in the areas where lax is big. As the number of these areas grows so to hopefully will the league.

And there are not many things I consider more relaxing than lacrosse. Every frustration can be relieved (vs. golf which just gets me tense, angry, and in a drinking mood).
The Last Jet Fan
Farva's Driver

Postby theken » 29 Dec 2005, 17:40

SouthernYokel wrote:i dunno theken, golf was starting to peak before tiger. I think John Daly is the real hero for the PGA, he's the guy people really started coming out to see.

Although Daly did do a lot for the tour, he wasn't a consistent enough golfer to fill the seats. Tiger was and still is in contention every single week that he plays, which draws viewers to their tv and people to the courses.
theken
Smartest Guy In The Room

Postby Bleacher Creature » 29 Dec 2005, 18:03

Lacrosse is an alright sport. I played it in middle school and I guess I enjoyed it. Its really big on Long Island. Ive been to one professional MLL game. Thats the outdoor league not the indoor one. The game was so-so. The only good thing was that tickets were cheap and the players signed autographs after the game. The game itself was a little bit of a bore. Im sure college lacrosse is a totally different thing and is awesome.
[Sun 15:41] Frank the Tank: J-E-T-S Jets Jets Jets!
Bleacher Creature
OG's sponsor

Postby theken » 29 Dec 2005, 19:53

theken
Smartest Guy In The Room

Postby Bleacher Creature » 29 Dec 2005, 19:56

Thats really scary theken. I just read that on some blog 2 minutes ago.
[Sun 15:41] Frank the Tank: J-E-T-S Jets Jets Jets!
Bleacher Creature
OG's sponsor

Next

Return to Other Sports