Golf

Re: Golf

Postby CourtesyFlush » 19 Dec 2017, 11:01

chrisco wrote:I shot 111 last week at Miles Square in Fountain Valley. It was a very easy, wide open muni course. Could not get it going off the deck. Hit a 4 iron well, need to get comfortable with another club between the 4 and a PW.

I hit 8 iron the best of my clubs between 4 and PW but most folks have a 7 iron as their go-to club in that range. Depends on what you're comfortable with.
chrisco wrote:In other news, I'm there on my own an extra night and booked a room at Turtle Bay. Never been to the North Shore and want to get that off the list. The site shows that all tee times are booked through mid-April. Hoping they hold some for guests.

We stayed on the North Shore near Haleiwa when we were there a couple months ago. Looked at Turtle Bay when I was booking everything but we settled for an AirBNB cottage near town. Nice little town and only about a 20 min drive based on Google maps from where you're staying if you're interested.
Gregs Kite - Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:24 pm: I don't know, my Wolfpack can be sneaky good in these games

JichaelDick - Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:47 am: Fulsh, you truly are the best North Carolinian ever. Sorry, Andy Griffith.
CourtesyFlush
Friend of Friends

Postby mj3528 » 26 Dec 2017, 12:44

Jordan Speith got engaged to his dunce this weekend:

bsmb, thoughts?
2009 NFL Pick 'em Champion
SOTSG Fantasy Basketball (Almost Entirely) 2012 Champion
2015 SOTSG NFL Survivor Champion, Part 2
2015 SOTSG Death Pool Co-Champion
2017 SOTSG Fantasy Basketball Champion
mj3528
#QM

Postby nerf66 » 26 Dec 2017, 13:26

mj3528 wrote:Jordan Speith got engaged to his dunce this weekend:

bsmb, thoughts?

To me, 24 is a pretty young age to get married to me.

Hope dude has a solid prenup. Who am i kidding? I don’t care if he has a prenup or not.
BostonSucksMyBalls - Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:42 am: my disdain for 66 stems from posters saying how great a poster he was. I never saw it. He has never made an interesting post or comment, imo.
nerf66
Yellow Jacket

Postby BostonSucksMyBalls » 26 Dec 2017, 14:28

I don’t get it. That dude can get mad puss. She’s attractive but not supermodel hot like Katherine Heigl.
PS: I will never like July 27th. It will always be the day Reggie died. I just hate this day. True Celtic fans know what I mean.

"i'm relatively confident her asshole" - Farva
BostonSucksMyBalls
Slave to Uber

Postby Frank the Tank » 26 Dec 2017, 17:48

nerf66 wrote:To me, 24 is a pretty young age to get married to me.

2015 SOTSG Fantasy Football Champion

BostonSucksMyBalls 11/2/2016: "I hate the internet. No accountability. Just a wasteland of shitheads."
Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet

Postby CourtesyFlush » 03 Jan 2018, 14:20

Any of you guys ever take private lessons? My wife got me a couple hours here for a birthday gift and I'd like to take full advantage of them.

Is a couple hours enough? I'm kinda stuck in the 95-110 range scorewise and would like to get down to about 85-90 consistently. I struggle with driver and long iron consistency the most.
Gregs Kite - Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:24 pm: I don't know, my Wolfpack can be sneaky good in these games

JichaelDick - Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:47 am: Fulsh, you truly are the best North Carolinian ever. Sorry, Andy Griffith.
CourtesyFlush
Friend of Friends

Postby mj3528 » 03 Jan 2018, 14:24

CourtesyFlush wrote:Any of you guys ever take private lessons? My wife got me a couple hours here for a birthday gift and I'd like to take full advantage of them.

Is a couple hours enough? I'm kinda stuck in the 95-110 range scorewise and would like to get down to about 85-90 consistently. I struggle with driver and long iron consistency the most.

That is a nice gift. You have a keeper Flush.

I have taken probably 10-12 lessons in my life, but they never really seem to stick.

The day after the first lesson I ever took, I shot 36 on the front, par 35, but ballooned to 45 on the back.

I seem to do really well at the conclusion of the lesson, but for some reason it doesn't translate to the course.

In the end, I guess I have nothing for you.

Good luck and enjoy.
mj3528
#QM

Postby TheWolf » 03 Jan 2018, 14:30

I took a couple private lessons once. My personal experience was that what he tried to teach me was such a big change to the poor mechanics I had honed after the past 20 years that I would never have seen any legitimate improvement unless I stuck with it and took a hell of a lot more lessons. I got a few decent pointers that I was able to apply, but the only way I was ever shaving consistent strokes off my scores (at least based on this guy's teaching methods) was to basically just start over with my swing and accept that I was going to get worse before I got better. I did not have the money, patience, or desire to do that, so I just kept chugging along in the 95-110 range.
"our kayaking guy sucked and came last"
- SGSW
TheWolf
Hand-Holder

Postby the cheese » 03 Jan 2018, 15:21

My experience with golf lessons is that like anything else athletic, if you're not going to commit to at least 6-12 weeks of focused improvement you're not going to make a lasting or even intermittent change, especially not a 10-20 stroke change. Convince your schmoopie to let you take 8 weeks of lessons, and then convince her to let you play golf once a week in that time span, and then convince her to let you hit the range twice a week too. When that fails, get a divorce.

You're already good at one incredibly time consuming hobby, why not shoot for another one that has the added bonus of being expensive!
Clayton Bigsby - Wed May 23, 2012 2:55 pm: i'd rather live with a guy who's kind of annoying but a nice guy than a guy who's kind of annoying and a dick
the cheese
The Douche

Postby Iron Mike Sharpe » 03 Jan 2018, 15:28

the cheese wrote:My experience with golf lessons is that like anything else athletic, if you're not going to commit to at least 6-12 weeks of focused improvement you're not going to make a lasting or even intermittent change, especially not a 10-20 stroke change. Convince your schmoopie to let you take 8 weeks of lessons, and then convince her to let you play golf once a week in that time span, and then convince her to let you hit the range twice a week too. When that fails, get a divorce.

You're already good at one incredibly time consuming hobby, why not shoot for another one that has the added bonus of being expensive!

Damn, he just called you slow.
Iron Mike Sharpe
Full of good cheer

Postby CourtesyFlush » 03 Jan 2018, 15:36

Iron Mike Sharpe wrote:
the cheese wrote:My experience with golf lessons is that like anything else athletic, if you're not going to commit to at least 6-12 weeks of focused improvement you're not going to make a lasting or even intermittent change, especially not a 10-20 stroke change. Convince your schmoopie to let you take 8 weeks of lessons, and then convince her to let you play golf once a week in that time span, and then convince her to let you hit the range twice a week too. When that fails, get a divorce.

This made me audibly :lol:. Congrats IMS.

I'm willing to put in extra time after the lessons. I do want to get to the range a bit more over the next few months.

CourtesyFlush
Friend of Friends

Postby Goose » 03 Jan 2018, 16:20

CourtesyFlush wrote:
Iron Mike Sharpe wrote:

This made me audibly :lol:. Congrats IMS.

I'm willing to put in extra time after the lessons. I do want to get to the range a bit more over the next few months.

I never took lessons, but I played the best golf when I was in my mid-20s and was playing 54 holes a week and hitting the driving range a couple days a week. I'm not saying that lessons won't help, but I think (just like everything else) you have to put in the time to get better. So you'll probably need to take those lessons to the range or the course repeatedly to see any improvement.

I'm sure this post was immensely helpful.
Balls: I know a guy who came home after high school one day to over hear his mom and dad having a 3some with another lady. He actually went to beat off during it in his room.
mister bacon: Wow no wonder PJ is so fucked up.
Goose
Smartest Guy In The Room

Postby Theny » 03 Jan 2018, 18:24

You probably want to identify your biggest weakness and have the lesson focus on that. I'd assume it's ball striking.
Theny
Anchor Baby Daddy

Postby mj3528 » 03 Jan 2018, 18:28

Theny wrote:You probably want to identify your biggest weakness and have the lesson focus on that. I'd assume it's ball striking.

good point. as to a couple of hours if you could get 3 to 5 one hour lessons I think that would be a sufficient start.

Also, don't ignore a short game lesson. My chipping improved immensely for a bit after a lesson on that. I probably need to have another one.
mj3528
#QM

Postby Frank the Tank » 04 Jan 2018, 10:48

I've taken the half-day golf school at Kapalua twice now, and my game improved over a very short duration both times. I've spent a lot of time trying to figure out why it doesn't stick, and I think it's 100% my fault. So much gets covered relating to all stages of the game, but then I wind up having trouble keeping it all in my head at one time. I think I need to come up with a more focused practice regimen. I usually wind up hitting the range for 5 minutes before my round, and maybe the putting green for 2 minutes. Instead, I need to take some time to really just practice and focus on everything, including the short game. My putting improved because I spent a solid hour on it. My chipping improved because I spent a solid hour on it. Etc etc etc. But I don't ever spend that much time consistently practicing that item afterwards. If I can find a good place to practice chipping for an hour after the lesson, I think it would really help things stick. Now the lesson was so long ago I don't remember everything from it, and I'm back to starting from nearly scratch. I think really committing to beating the lessons into your head and muscle memory through practice is the only way to really get better.
2015 SOTSG Fantasy Football Champion

BostonSucksMyBalls 11/2/2016: "I hate the internet. No accountability. Just a wasteland of shitheads."
Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet

PreviousNext

Return to Other Sports