Golf

Re: Golf

Postby Goose » 23 Oct 2017, 20:14

Rodney Farva wrote:
chrisco wrote:Next step, buying clubs.

what's your budget?

Mogul's gotta mogul
Balls: I know a guy who came home after high school one day to over hear his mom and dad having a 3some with another lady. He actually went to beat off during it in his room.
mister bacon: Wow no wonder PJ is so fucked up.
Goose
Smartest Guy In The Room

Postby Frank the Tank » 30 Oct 2017, 08:03

chrisco wrote:Shot 119 on Ponkapoag 1 today. I can reliably use a fairway driver, a 4 iron and a pitching wedge. Everything else is a crap shoot. Had some good shots, a lot of shit ones and my putting remains a disaster. It felt good to get out there though. Enjoyed. Will golf again.

Next step, buying clubs.

This Rick Reilly book is in part a love letter to Ponkapoag. I’m not a big Reilly fan but I enjoyed this quick read.
2015 SOTSG Fantasy Football Champion

BostonSucksMyBalls 11/2/2016: "I hate the internet. No accountability. Just a wasteland of shitheads."
Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet

Postby mj3528 » 30 Oct 2017, 08:54

Frank the Tank wrote:
chrisco wrote:Shot 119 on Ponkapoag 1 today. I can reliably use a fairway driver, a 4 iron and a pitching wedge. Everything else is a crap shoot. Had some good shots, a lot of shit ones and my putting remains a disaster. It felt good to get out there though. Enjoyed. Will golf again.

Next step, buying clubs.

This Rick Reilly book is in part a love letter to Ponkapoag. I’m not a big Reilly fan but I enjoyed this quick read.

I read that years ago and enjoyed it. I don't know if it would hold up, but liked it at the time.
2009 NFL Pick 'em Champion
SOTSG Fantasy Basketball (Almost Entirely) 2012 Champion
2015 SOTSG NFL Survivor Champion, Part 2
2015 SOTSG Death Pool Co-Champion
2017 SOTSG Fantasy Basketball Champion
mj3528
#QM

Postby chrisco » 30 Oct 2017, 08:59

mj3528 wrote:
Frank the Tank wrote:

Next step, buying clubs.

I read that years ago and enjoyed it. I don't know if it would hold up, but liked it at the time.

I'm guessing that Blue Hill Country Club is the snooty course. I caddied there one summer. You hung around for hours until some group grabbed you as a spotter. What a shit job.
BostonSucksMyBalls - Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:03 am: I listen bc ive listened for about 25 years. I need to see this stupid thing thru.
chrisco
Madoff

Postby chrisco » 31 Oct 2017, 10:20

Goose wrote:
Rodney Farva wrote:

what's your budget?

Mogul's gotta mogul

I bought these:

https://www.amazon.com/Aspire-Complete- ... 00FE1UCV2/

Finding a tall set that was cheap was my priority. When I'm half decent I'll worry about nicer clubs.

Can we talk putters for a minute or twelve? I putted really well last week with a very basic light putter. Heavier ones seem to mess me up because I can't judge how hard to hit it. However IIRC, people seem like to heavier putters over light ones. What's the story here besides my putting sucks?
BostonSucksMyBalls - Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:03 am: I listen bc ive listened for about 25 years. I need to see this stupid thing thru.
chrisco
Madoff

Postby mj3528 » 31 Oct 2017, 10:29

chrisco wrote:
Goose wrote:
Rodney Farva wrote:

what's your budget?

Mogul's gotta mogul

I bought these:

Finding a tall set that was cheap was my priority. When I'm half decent I'll worry about nicer clubs.

Can we talk putters for a minute or twelve? I putted really well last week with a very basic light putter. Heavier ones seem to mess me up because I can't judge how hard to hit it. However IIRC, people seem like to heavier putters over light ones. What's the story here besides my putting sucks?

It is only $200, but if those are new I would have recommended that you buy a used set of brand name clubs. Especially a driver. I am still using a Taylor Made r9 which is really old, but is probably better than what you bought.

As to putters, just go to a golf store and hit a few. Don't think you can go wrong with Odyssey, Nike or Titelist. It seems like a lot of beginners or newer golfers really have success with Odyssey. TaylorMade Ghost was good too.

Next spring, if you are still playing, I recommend a fitting. The proper shaft and lie angle can make a huge difference.
mj3528
#QM

Postby chrisco » 31 Oct 2017, 10:42

mj3528 wrote:
chrisco wrote:
Goose wrote:
Rodney Farva wrote:

what's your budget?

Mogul's gotta mogul

I bought these:

It is only $200, but if those are new I would have recommended that you buy a used set of brand name clubs. Especially a driver. I am still using a Taylor Made r9 which is really old, but is probably better than what you bought.

As to putters, just go to a golf store and hit a few. Don't think you can go wrong with Odyssey, Nike or Titelist. It seems like a lot of beginners or newer golfers really have success with Odyssey. TaylorMade Ghost was good too.

Next spring, if you are still playing, I recommend a fitting. The proper shaft and lie angle can make a huge difference.

Part of this was avoiding having to rent clubs on Friday. There's not a lot of tall clubs on the internet that ship in two days. So far, the height has been more important than the quality of the club. I'll keep used in mind though when its time to move up.
chrisco
Madoff

Postby Rodney Farva » 31 Oct 2017, 15:12

i think for starting out, low budget and tall you did just fine. you at some point will wish you had a 5 iron, if not a 4 & 5, but maybe that won't be until the point you're ready to step up to something a little nicer.

putter, find something you like. end of story. don't worry about brand name. if a light weight putter feels good to you and you can be somewhat consistent with it, then go with that one. you can always fuss around with changing to a grip that you like the feel of better if you'd like, but keep in mind a bigger grip on a light putter will throw off the feel and balance of the whole thing. you can take a putter to golf galaxy or ny golf center and they can do all kinds of adjustments, including making the shaft a little longer or shorter. don't worry if you don't know all the lingo, talk to them and see if they can do something for you at a price point you're comfortable with.
You coin contrarian bro and say shit nonsense like this.
Rodney Farva
Your real father

Postby Frank the Tank » 01 Nov 2017, 09:54

Rodney Farva wrote:i think for starting out, low budget and tall you did just fine. you at some point will wish you had a 5 iron, if not a 4 & 5, but maybe that won't be until the point you're ready to step up to something a little nicer.

Agree. Sometimes tall sets don’t work out, even for tall people. I know a 6’7” guy who uses off-the-rack clubs and is a 9-ish index. His arms are longer than most so the longer clubs are a detriment. It’s less height and more “height minus arm length”.

putter, find something you like. end of story.

This. The other thirteen clubs in your bag need to be right for your swing and all, but putter is all feel. I used to have a putter that was too heavy for me. Switched to a lighter one (but not “light” per se) and it’s my favorite club in my bag. Only club I haven’t switched out in the past five years.
2015 SOTSG Fantasy Football Champion

BostonSucksMyBalls 11/2/2016: "I hate the internet. No accountability. Just a wasteland of shitheads."
Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet

Postby Theny » 01 Nov 2017, 10:15

People like heavier putters because they tend to keep you on line.
Theny
Anchor Baby Daddy

Postby mj3528 » 01 Nov 2017, 10:16

Theny wrote:People like heavier putters because they tend to keep you on line.

I like heavier putters because the putt still travels even when I improperly decelerate.
mj3528
#QM

Postby Goose » 15 Nov 2017, 15:09

Balls: I know a guy who came home after high school one day to over hear his mom and dad having a 3some with another lady. He actually went to beat off during it in his room.
mister bacon: Wow no wonder PJ is so fucked up.
Goose
Smartest Guy In The Room

Postby CourtesyFlush » 15 Nov 2017, 15:16

Gregs Kite - Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:24 pm: I don't know, my Wolfpack can be sneaky good in these games

JichaelDick - Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:47 am: Fulsh, you truly are the best North Carolinian ever. Sorry, Andy Griffith.
CourtesyFlush
Friend of Friends

Postby CourtesyFlush » 04 Dec 2017, 10:36

Tiger looked pretty good overall this weekend. Driver looked better than it's been in at least 5 or 6 years and putting was there for the most part. If he can get his short game close to where it was before the last injury layoff then he could be in the mix for a win or two in 2018. Not ready to say he'll win another major until he plays a few more events with no physical pain, but the initial returns are promising.
Gregs Kite - Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:24 pm: I don't know, my Wolfpack can be sneaky good in these games

JichaelDick - Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:47 am: Fulsh, you truly are the best North Carolinian ever. Sorry, Andy Griffith.
CourtesyFlush
Friend of Friends

Postby JT99 » 04 Dec 2017, 11:30

CourtesyFlush wrote:Tiger looked pretty good overall this weekend. Driver looked better than it's been in at least 5 or 6 years and putting was there for the most part. If he can get his short game close to where it was before the last injury layoff then he could be in the mix for a win or two in 2018. Not ready to say he'll win another major until he plays a few more events with no physical pain, but the initial returns are promising.

What'd you think, Prez?
BigJohnStudd wrote:The original Annie movie from the 80s has a lot of panty shots for a PG rated kids film.

BostonSucksMyBalls wrote:26 Jan 2017 10:53: need the D
JT99
Between Bannings

PreviousNext

Return to Other Sports