Golf

Re: Golf

Postby Goose » 16 Jan 2017, 11:29

Rodney Farva wrote:our college course has C.B. MacDonald's name on it but most of the design was done by Seth Raynor. pretty hard to beat that combo.

Raynor built a lot of nice courses in a very short period of time. I played the one in Lake Wales, FL, but it was in high school, before they restored it in the 2000s. Of course, back then I probably wouldn't have appreciated it anyway. But it does have a really cool hotel/clubhouse on it that dates back to the early 1900's.
Hall of Sand, Class of 2025
Balls: I know a guy who came home after high school one day to over hear his mom and dad having a 3some with another lady. He actually went to beat off during it in his room.
mister bacon: Wow no wonder PJ is so fucked up.
Goose
Smartest Guy In The Room

Postby Rodney Farva » 21 Jan 2017, 13:48

Got there early to fill Dustin Johnson, Rickie Fowler and some Kiwi I'd never heard of. DJ was the tits today, 64 (lowest of the day) which took him from starting 8 back to 1 out of the lead heading to Sunday. Stayed with their group through 15, a par three with a beer and food stand. Chilled there through most of the rest of the field, then followed Henrik Stenson in. Standing behind the tees was best option to really appreciate just how much these guys crush the ball. Have some meetings tomorrow but will try to get there for last couple hours, there's a big logjam at the top of the leaderboard so hopefully should be a good finish.
You coin contrarian bro and say shit nonsense like this.
Rodney Farva
Your real father

Postby Rodney Farva » 22 Jan 2017, 11:40

OK, full wrap up. here's a view up 9 & 18 to the ridiculous clubhouse which looks like a falcon.

We had a debate a while ago about whether it was worth it to go to a golf tournament. In this instance, fuck and yes, because the crowds were pretty small. My buddy who lives here told me before I came that I would never see this level of golf with so moderate a crowd, and he was spot on. It really gave me an appreciation for just how good these guys are, which I didn't get when I'd go to watch the Hong Kong Open because the crowds were big enough that it was tough to get close enough to the players.

It was often hard to follow the flight of the ball in the air because they hit it so hard and so fast that I would lose the ball against the sky. The best position to watch was right behind the tee on a par 4/par 5 because you could see just how hard and how far they hit driver or three wood, and follow the ball all the way. also great to be right next to the green to watch short game/putting.

we found the best spot was at the tee box on 16, right behind the players. for example, here's henirk stenson on that tee today.

that spot gave us a perfect view of 15, a shortish par 3, and then for them to move over and hit on 16, a severe dog leg left. seeing who hit driver, who hit 3 wood, how much they would try to cut the corner. great stuff.

at the 9th green there was a little opening between the concession stand and the bleachers where we could walk back and be up against a low wall that was only about 20 feet from the edge of the green. on the first day the pin was back in that corner and a couple players hit into the thick rough relatively near the wall so it was nice to watch them chip out. at 18 there was a rope between the big corporate sky box structure and the bleachers that a lot of the time was empty. at the end there were more people but not that crowded.

we followed stenson's group from 16 to the end, and then watched all the other groups come in. on the big video scoreboard which gave hole by hole results we could track all the groups coming in, there were about 10 guys in contention, and then see them go for the green in two as they came in (it was a reachable but not easy par 5). dustin johnson was in the last group and made a big run. a british guy in the group ahead of him, tommy fleetwood, was alone in the lead on the 18th tee and hooked his drive into the crowd. he was lucky as it bounced into a spectator and dropped down into the rough and gave him a good lie. if it had bounced into the crowd it would have been in a sand waste area and landed in footprints. he hit a clutch 3 wood onto the green and 2 putted for a birdie that essentially clinched it.

one of DJ's playing partners, pablo lazzarabal, was 2 down so an eagle would have put him in a playoff, but his second shot missed the green. DJ had hit a monster drive, but fleetwood then birdied to go three up on him. DJ hit the second closest approach we saw the time we were there (martin kaymer got to 10 feet). we heard DJ telling his caddie/brother while they were waiting that he would try to 2 putt for birdie, but he drained the putt

and ended up tied with lazarrabal for 2nd.

in sum, a hell of a fun time, really glad i did it and hope to come here again in the future to watch this tournament.
Rodney Farva
Your real father

Postby Rodney Farva » 23 Jan 2017, 06:57

i forgot to mention that in the gallery on sunday was a guy wearing a red sox hat (of course) with a full beard (of course) and longish hair, who was following stenson and acting kind of annoying. gave him a pass does because he was carrying a hat that looked like this

but was in fact this

Rodney Farva
Your real father

Postby SouthernYokel » 23 Jan 2017, 09:06

that looked like fun. the crowds are my big reason for not going to a golf tournament in person.

also...i need a Titleist Titties hat immediately.
JT99 wrote:imagine working your entire board life on being a guy investigating every nook and cranny of others' sexual lives only to have some drunken baboon stumble into the r&t jackpot
SouthernYokel
Hank the Hangover Turtle

Postby CourtesyFlush » 23 Jan 2017, 09:35

SouthernYokel wrote:that looked like fun. the crowds are my big reason for not going to a golf tournament in person.

also...i need a Titleist Titties hat immediately.

:lol: that hat is tremendous. Might need to scramble and get that before the Pinehurst trip next month.

Attending a tournament in person is great. You should try to grab a ticket to the PGA Championship here in August. Gonna be a LOT of hoochie mamas out here in 90 degree heat.
Gregs Kite - Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:24 pm: I don't know, my Wolfpack can be sneaky good in these games

JichaelDick - Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:47 am: Fulsh, you truly are the best North Carolinian ever. Sorry, Andy Griffith.
CourtesyFlush
Friend of Friends

Postby ctz31 » 23 Jan 2017, 10:31

I am the most anti live golf here. Because its so stupid. But i will say that doesn't sound as bad as going to one of these major tournaments. Not a ton of people and easily accessible viewing lanes and alcohol would be tolerable. Don't invite me next time you go, but i don't think less of you for attending.
ctz31
Witty Rank TBD

Postby mj3528 » 25 Jan 2017, 14:29

I thought this article was interesting:

http://www.espn.com/golf/story/_/id/18544732/golf-tiger-woods-scotty-cameron-world-most-famous-putter

tiger tees off at Torrey Pines tomorrow Prez.
2009 NFL Pick 'em Champion
SOTSG Fantasy Basketball (Almost Entirely) 2012 Champion
2015 SOTSG NFL Survivor Champion, Part 2
2015 SOTSG Death Pool Co-Champion
2017 SOTSG Fantasy Basketball Champion
mj3528
Never Forgotten

Postby CourtesyFlush » 25 Jan 2017, 14:32

mj3528 wrote:I thought this article was interesting:

http://www.espn.com/golf/story/_/id/18544732/golf-tiger-woods-scotty-cameron-world-most-famous-putter

tiger tees off at Torrey Pines tomorrow Prez.

Just finished reading this as well. I en joyed it also. I am cheering for him (Tiger).
Gregs Kite - Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:24 pm: I don't know, my Wolfpack can be sneaky good in these games

JichaelDick - Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:47 am: Fulsh, you truly are the best North Carolinian ever. Sorry, Andy Griffith.
CourtesyFlush
Friend of Friends

Postby Iron Mike Sharpe » 25 Jan 2017, 14:45

More famous than the Dr.V?
Iron Mike Sharpe
Full of good cheer

Postby CourtesyFlush » 31 Jan 2017, 09:08

Guy tweets at Sergio 206 straight days begging to caddie for him.

You won't believe what happens next!

Prime Bbcode Spoiler Show Prime Bbcode Spoiler:
Sergio relents and lets him caddie at an upcoming pro-am. He stabs Sergio when he meets him.

CourtesyFlush
Friend of Friends

Postby CourtesyFlush » 10 Feb 2017, 11:40

DOUBLE POST #longhairdontcare

Tiger WD's from next two events due to back spasms

We're looking at the sad end to a once dominant player's career. Up until even earlier this year I thought he could win at least another major or two, but I can't see it now.

CourtesyFlush
Friend of Friends

Postby SouthernYokel » 10 Feb 2017, 15:21

CourtesyFlush wrote:DOUBLE POST #longhairdontcare

We're looking at the sad end to a once dominant player's career. Up until even earlier this year I thought he could win at least another major or two, but I can't see it now.

i still think he's going to come out of nowhere like Fred Couples one more time. probably not this year.
JT99 wrote:imagine working your entire board life on being a guy investigating every nook and cranny of others' sexual lives only to have some drunken baboon stumble into the r&t jackpot
SouthernYokel
Hank the Hangover Turtle

Postby the cheese » 10 Feb 2017, 15:30

SouthernYokel wrote:

i still think he's going to come out of nowhere like Fred Couples one more time. probably not this year.

I'm thinking more like Tom Watson in about 20 years.

I would love to see Freddy get one more.
Clayton Bigsby - Wed May 23, 2012 2:55 pm: i'd rather live with a guy who's kind of annoying but a nice guy than a guy who's kind of annoying and a dick
the cheese
The Douche

Postby Frank the Tank » 11 Feb 2017, 09:45

I'm not sure I can see him winning any tournament, major or not.
2015 SOTSG Fantasy Football Champion

BostonSucksMyBalls 11/2/2016: "I hate the internet. No accountability. Just a wasteland of shitheads."
Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet

PreviousNext

Return to Other Sports