Golf

Re: Golf

Postby bosux » 28 Dec 2016, 07:56

Rodney Farva wrote:oh, hey gregs, i figured you wanted to see this

i remember those legs...one hot dog no bun indeed
by bosux » 02 Mar 2016, 13:34
if the democratic power machine is so tone deaf as to foist $hrillary upon the electorate they will lose to Trump...bet on it
bosux
Dr. Poop

Postby Gregs Kite » 28 Dec 2016, 08:17

bosux wrote:
Rodney Farva wrote:oh, hey gregs, i figured you wanted to see this

i remember those legs...one hot dog no bun indeed

Nice. You old sons o' bitches are finally catching up to the black sock style?
Apr 22, 2015 3:49 pm Clayton Bigsby i enjoy sports

Magnum - Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:36 pm: perhaps my reaction was built up greg hatred finally coming through. fuck that guy.

Frank the Tank wrote:If I die I leave my red font to Kite.
Gregs Kite
Friend of Friends

Postby Rodney Farva » 10 Jan 2017, 00:38

thought this long interview with rory mcilroy by an irish paper was pretty good, though the reporter kind of inserted himself too much
You coin contrarian bro and say shit nonsense like this.
Rodney Farva
Your real father

Postby Briandong79 » 11 Jan 2017, 17:25

Golf Magazine looking to expand it's readership base apparently:

PhillyJim76 - Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:20 am: X?I wrote a disturbing clueless fan fiction story that got me in hot water in college
Briandong79
Beep Boop

Postby the cheese » 11 Jan 2017, 17:42

Kathryn Epling...WTTLL?
Clayton Bigsby - Wed May 23, 2012 2:55 pm: i'd rather live with a guy who's kind of annoying but a nice guy than a guy who's kind of annoying and a dick
the cheese
The Douche

Postby mj3528 » 12 Jan 2017, 14:00

Professional golfer loses 32 balls over two rounds.

http://thebiglead.com/2017/01/12/web-com-golfer-greg-eason-lost-32-golf-balls-during-the-bahamas-great-exuma-classic/

I think my record is probably around 10.

I play in some tournaments that require you to use the same type of ball all round. I am sometimes nervous if I only have a dozen.
2009 NFL Pick 'em Champion
SOTSG Fantasy Basketball (Almost Entirely) 2012 Champion
2015 SOTSG NFL Survivor Champion, Part 2
2015 SOTSG Death Pool Co-Champion
2017 SOTSG Fantasy Basketball Champion
mj3528
Never Forgotten

Postby Frank the Tank » 13 Jan 2017, 09:19

mj3528 wrote:Professional golfer loses 32 balls over two rounds.

http://thebiglead.com/2017/01/12/web-com-golfer-greg-eason-lost-32-golf-balls-during-the-bahamas-great-exuma-classic/

I think my record is probably around 10.

I play in some tournaments that require you to use the same type of ball all round. I am sometimes nervous if I only have a dozen.

I think I've lost a full dozen. One time I lost seven balls in the first six holes, but only lost one more on the next twelve (Bear's Best - Las Vegas).
2015 SOTSG Fantasy Football Champion

BostonSucksMyBalls 11/2/2016: "I hate the internet. No accountability. Just a wasteland of shitheads."
Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet

Postby Rodney Farva » 15 Jan 2017, 09:42

played this morning at the one course in this area i hadn't played yet. private, high end, membership a mix of rich indians, people who have memberships through their companies, and people who live in the apartments surrounding it (owned by the biggest property developer in the region). some of my friends are in through their work and i've been (im)patiently waiting for an invite, which finally came through.

three nines, one designed by arnold palmer (R.I.P.)'s design firm and two by gary player's design firm. we played the two player nines. i was really scuffling early, much better on the back, for a 56-46 102.

and while it was very well conditioned, the caddies were pretty good, nice clubhouse and good food for lunch after, i don't think i would go back because i absolutely hated the course. all the ills of modern course design in one package :geek: way too many artificial swales and hills, which gave too many extreme sidehill stances. the greens were ridiculously over-contoured. too many steep walled bunker faces that didn't leave a viable option to escape, or if you ended up next to them forced you to play either left handed or backward. this was compounded by the course set up, the greens were shaved to be really fast, but too many holes were cut in spots that were impossible to hold on approaches or to stop near the hole on missed putts because of the combination of the contours and speed.

17th hole in particular was a clown show. fairway ended 200 yards out. the green was a really long shot up a really steep hill from here that was mostly boulders on a straight line, with fairway running up the left side. no bailout area up at the green, which had three tiers with too many swales, and right behind the green was a rock-faced cliff wall. i hit my drive in the middle of the fairway but too far back to go for the green. i had a 5 iron to reach the one flat layup area in the fairway on the left side of the hill, which was the size of a postage stamp. hit it perfectly but it was just to the side of the landing area so it rolled down a little into heavy rough. left a blind uphill shot with the ball in thick shit and a stance that had the ball mid thigh. from down there i thought i just needed to fly it over the top of the hill and it would roll close enough to have a put, but i didn't know the front of the green was the bottom tier and the flag was in the back part of the second tier. fuck me.

sorry to go on so long and to be such a whiny bitch, but whether you suck or are good, the game is supposed to be somewhat fun, and this was not.
Rodney Farva
Your real father

Postby babylurch » 15 Jan 2017, 10:58

Rodney Farva wrote:played this morning at the one course in this area i hadn't played yet. private, high end, membership a mix of rich indians, people who have memberships through their companies, and people who live in the apartments surrounding it (owned by the biggest property developer in the region). some of my friends are in through their work and i've been (im)patiently waiting for an invite, which finally came through.

three nines, one designed by arnold palmer (R.I.P.)'s design firm and two by gary player's design firm. we played the two player nines. i was really scuffling early, much better on the back, for a 56-46 102.

and while it was very well conditioned, the caddies were pretty good, nice clubhouse and good food for lunch after, i don't think i would go back because i absolutely hated the course. all the ills of modern course design in one package :geek: way too many artificial swales and hills, which gave too many extreme sidehill stances. the greens were ridiculously over-contoured. too many steep walled bunker faces that didn't leave a viable option to escape, or if you ended up next to them forced you to play either left handed or backward. this was compounded by the course set up, the greens were shaved to be really fast, but too many holes were cut in spots that were impossible to hold on approaches or to stop near the hole on missed putts because of the combination of the contours and speed.

17th hole in particular was a clown show. fairway ended 200 yards out. the green was a really long shot up a really steep hill from here that was mostly boulders on a straight line, with fairway running up the left side. no bailout area up at the green, which had three tiers with too many swales, and right behind the green was a rock-faced cliff wall. i hit my drive in the middle of the fairway but too far back to go for the green. i had a 5 iron to reach the one flat layup area in the fairway on the left side of the hill, which was the size of a postage stamp. hit it perfectly but it was just to the side of the landing area so it rolled down a little into heavy rough. left a blind uphill shot with the ball in thick shit and a stance that had the ball mid thigh. from down there i thought i just needed to fly it over the top of the hill and it would roll close enough to have a put, but i didn't know the front of the green was the bottom tier and the flag was in the back part of the second tier. fuck me.

sorry to go on so long and to be such a whiny bitch, but whether you suck or are good, the game is supposed to be somewhat fun, and this was not.

There is a Player course near here, where my firm used to have its summer outing. All of your comments ring true about it as well. Lots of blind shots, forced carries and side hill lies. Probably a great challenge to really good players, but just a slog for people playing for fun.
2013 Jason McElwaine Regional Champion
babylurch
Basketball Jesus

Postby Prez » 15 Jan 2017, 12:08

babylurch wrote:
Rodney Farva wrote:played this morning at the one course in this area i hadn't played yet. private, high end, membership a mix of rich indians, people who have memberships through their companies, and people who live in the apartments surrounding it (owned by the biggest property developer in the region). some of my friends are in through their work and i've been (im)patiently waiting for an invite, which finally came through.

There is a Player course near here, where my firm used to have its summer outing. All of your comments ring true about it as well. Lots of blind shots, forced carries and side hill lies. Probably a great challenge to really good players, but just a slog for people playing for fun.

Lurch, I assume you're referring to Lyman Orchards. If so, I agree... the Player course kinda sucks for the reasons Rod mentioned but I really like the Jones course right next to it.
Ballz: So, I fucking got a BJ for $250 total, and wore a rubber. It sucked, I couldnt even feel it, so i jeckyled onto her tits. She was cute. Not even that far out of my league, it was a waste of $250
Prez
The MAWG

Postby Rodney Farva » 15 Jan 2017, 12:20

i understand well that i really suck and that sometimes i end up on courses that are too difficult to me. but when the course is just unfair for everyone and penalizes good shots, it blows.

my friends told me everybody has similar complaints, particularly about 17. supposedly player's firm didn't intend for the green to be so far up the hill, but the chairman of the developer pushed and pushed and pushed for some reason. it used to be only a 2 tier green, so even smaller and harder target. they added the lowest tier, but it's not a lot of help because much of that tier is on the downhill slope so almost a false front.

when we made the turn the starter asked us to skip ahead to 11th tee, because the chairman wanted to tee off at 11.00. look at the watch, it's 10.35 and the group ahead of us was halfway through teeing off on 10, so we ignored it. once the chairman is on the course the place is buzzing with staff in golf carts zipping ahead, they tried to push us to go faster even though we were a fourball and his group was only three, and they never had to wait on a shot.

apparently the palmer nine is more traditional and fair, so i would like the chance to try that but otherwise no thanks.

and despite my complaints and mewling here, for the record i was a gracious guest to my friend and nice to the staff. when we checked in i thought they would have me pay my green fees by credit card, but instead they put it on my friend's tab. he was my ride for the day, so since cash is so tight here when we got to my house i ran in and grabbed an unopened bottle of a decent scotch (glenmorangie) and brought it out to him as a thank you.
Rodney Farva
Your real father

Postby JT99 » 15 Jan 2017, 17:10

An UNOPENED bottle of scotch, AT HOME? That's unpossible /Frank the Tank
BigJohnStudd wrote:The original Annie movie from the 80s has a lot of panty shots for a PG rated kids film.

BostonSucksMyBalls wrote:26 Jan 2017 10:53: need the D
JT99
Between Bannings

Postby Frank the Tank » 16 Jan 2017, 08:15

Agreed on all the Player course comments above. A great course should meld into the landscape. It's the architect's goal to find the best possible routing nature gave him, and then add only as necessary. At least that's my opinion, and the greats like Donald Ross were experts at that. Player's courses are way too artificial.
2015 SOTSG Fantasy Football Champion

BostonSucksMyBalls 11/2/2016: "I hate the internet. No accountability. Just a wasteland of shitheads."
Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet

Postby Goose » 16 Jan 2017, 10:11

Frank the Tank wrote:Agreed on all the Player course comments above. A great course should meld into the landscape. It's the architect's goal to find the best possible routing nature gave him, and then add only as necessary. At least that's my opinion, and the greats like Donald Ross were experts at that. Player's courses are way too artificial.

Although I rarely play golf anymore due to my bad back I've always been a golf course nerd. My favorite architect is A.W. Tillinghast. I've got several books on him that I've read multiple times. He used to stomp through the woods on his own and figure out a course layout. Something most modern designers don't do. It was more about finding the right path through the existing land and not moving a million tons of earth to build monstrosities like TPC Sawgrass. :fletch:

He was the original designer of Baltusrol in NJ, Bethpage Black (and Red) and Winged Foot East and West in NY. He designed, redesigned or consulted on a few hundred courses in the US back when Jike used to watch Three Fingered Brown pitch both ends of a double header at Ebbets Field.

I even played on a couple of his courses, the 9 hole course on Davis Island, which was pretty user friendly. The other one is actually a Donald Ross design that he later worked on when they expanded from 18 to 36 holes. It's called Bobby Jones in Sarasota

The two 18 hole courses at Bobby Jones are the US course and the UK course. The US course is more water carry/target golf and the UK course is links golf. I played there a lot in the mid-90s when I lived there. The UK course was really fun, especially since links golf courses in FL were very few and far between.
Hall of Sand, Class of 2025
Balls: I know a guy who came home after high school one day to over hear his mom and dad having a 3some with another lady. He actually went to beat off during it in his room.
mister bacon: Wow no wonder PJ is so fucked up.
Goose
Smartest Guy In The Room

Postby Rodney Farva » 16 Jan 2017, 10:47

our college course has C.B. MacDonald's name on it but most of the design was done by Seth Raynor. pretty hard to beat that combo.
Rodney Farva
Your real father

PreviousNext

Return to Other Sports