WHAT THE HELL???

Postby TheWolf » 28 Mar 2005, 16:06

Frank, I agree that as much credit as possible should go to the Sox for their unprecedented comeback. But you can't have a comeback without at least a little bit of help from the other team falling apart. There's no doubt that this all occurred simply because the Sox are a better team (and much, much better people too), but it's really fun to think of the bigget choke in history being attributed to the mother-fucking Yankees. Fuck them!
"our kayaking guy sucked and came last"
- SGSW
TheWolf
Hand-Holder

Postby howboutafrescahmmm » 28 Mar 2005, 16:06

Frank the Tank wrote:
sportsdorkhater wrote:that loss had nothing on the yanks losing 4 straight last year to the sox in the alcs, which had never been done before in the history of baseball(i know, i know, you all know that, but damn it feels good to type those words)

While that's true SDH in my heart I prefer to think of the Sox earning every single last ounce of that comeback, not ascribing any bit of it to a Yankees choke. Every single ounce of credit deserves to be heaped upon the glorious Sox. Can I get an Amen from the choir?

Amen
"The Yankees have that guy (Tony) Womack playing left field," Henderson said. "If I can't play that position at least as well as he can, I'll hang up the spikes right now.'' ? Rickey Henderson.
howboutafrescahmmm
Etiquette Instructor

Postby mandingo » 28 Mar 2005, 16:07

I'm a big fan of the Oilers-Bills playoff game from 92(or maybe 93?). The Bills were 32 points down in the 3rd quarter and Jim Kelly was out. The Oilers just collapsed and Frank Reich lead the Bills to victory. I mean 32 points down in an NFL playoff game? Really amazing.
Reich also had the greatest comeback in college history when he was at Maryland.
[Fri 15:59] Rickey Sez: call me "sex bomb", please.
mandingo
Pink Helmet

Postby mister bacon » 28 Mar 2005, 16:09

mandingo wrote:I'm a big fan of the Oilers-Bills playoff game from 92(or maybe 93?). The Bills were 32 points down in the 3rd quarter and Jim Kelly was out. The Oilers just collapsed and Frank Reich lead the Bills to victory. I mean 32 points down in an NFL playoff game? Really amazing.
Reich also had the greatest comeback in college history when he was at Maryland.

Yes that game was the official death of the run and shoot offense. You can't keep the other teams offense off the field throwing vertical.
2006 SOTSG ESPN March Madness Tourney Challenge Champion
2010 SOTSG NFL Pick 'Em Champion

mj3528 wrote: I hate panhandlers with dogs. I feel so bad for the dog.

ctz31 - Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:30 pm: I'm gonna win a chip w romo. I'm done w blacks. No offense
mister bacon
Black on Both Sides

Postby JohnnyDamon » 28 Mar 2005, 16:17

mandingo wrote:I'm a big fan of the Oilers-Bills playoff game from 92(or maybe 93?). The Bills were 32 points down in the 3rd quarter and Jim Kelly was out. The Oilers just collapsed and Frank Reich lead the Bills to victory. I mean 32 points down in an NFL playoff game? Really amazing.

That game between Maryland and Miami was awesome, and it also led to Miami's downfall in 1984 (that was the same year they lost to BC on the Flutie play).
I've grown so used to you somehow, Lord I'm nobody's sugar daddy now, and I'm lo-oo-onesome, I've got the lovesick blues.
JohnnyDamon
The Bomb Dick

Postby mandingo » 28 Mar 2005, 17:47

I'm surprised that the Run and Shoot hasn't made a comeback in the NFL. With all the focus on the salary cap, I can't believe someone hasn't given June Jones or Mouse Davis a call. Plug average players into a run and shoot and you can be a contender overnight. And with the lack of good fundamental coaches in the NFL today, the run and shoot could do some serious damage. It'd pretty cheap to assemble a group of solid WRs who could read the defense and a QB who could work in that system.
I know defense wins championships, but surely some hapless franchise could use this offense as a springboard into the playoffs.
mandingo
Pink Helmet

Postby sportsdorkhater » 28 Mar 2005, 17:54

those houston oiler teams for some of my all-time favorites on tecmo bowl. earnest givens, drew hill and just when your opponent isnt thinking run, a little lorenzo white draw would work like a charm . . ahh . .the glory days . .i was such a good athelete
sportsdorkhater
The Unicorn

Postby Snake » 28 Mar 2005, 19:27

mandingo wrote:I'm surprised that the Run and Shoot hasn't made a comeback in the NFL. With all the focus on the salary cap, I can't believe someone hasn't given June Jones or Mouse Davis a call. Plug average players into a run and shoot and you can be a contender overnight. And with the lack of good fundamental coaches in the NFL today, the run and shoot could do some serious damage. It'd pretty cheap to assemble a group of solid WRs who could read the defense and a QB who could work in that system.
I know defense wins championships, but surely some hapless franchise could use this offense as a springboard into the playoffs.

It won't happen because of the lack of a running game. However, although they call it "Air Coryell" or whatever, what the Rams run, particularly during their championship year in `99 is very very close to the run and shoot. Spurrier's fun and gun also has some run and shoot elements to it, and it exposed the reason why the run and shoot won't work in today's NFL. However, considering how poor the defense is and the impending departure of the Edge, will it be too long before we see June Jones as Colts OC?
Let me be very clear. I AM NOT A 49ers FAN!!!

I am the Beer Pong Jesus. If you want a shot at my title, bring it on. BPong.com

~Keep fighting the good fight to get someone else nicknamed Jake the Snake

~Peyton Manning SUCKS
Snake
Basketball Jesus

Postby mandingo » 29 Mar 2005, 00:01

I agree that the lack of a consistent running game will probably keep the run and shoot out of the NFL. Still, for hopeless franchises (like the Bengals, Cards, Browns etc) I don't see the harm in trying it out. Even with subpar personnel these teams could at least have a fighting chance. And by saving cap money on the offensive side, a team could build a solid D. Pretty much like Houston's "House of Pain" defenses of the early '90s.

The run and shoot actually sets up pretty well for the run. There've been a few 1,000 yd rushers out of the run and shoot in the NFL and I believe the college yards per carry record is still held by Chuck Weatherspoon out of Andre Wares offense. but most likely the bottom tier NFL teams will stick with overly conservative gutless play calling. grumble grumble grumble
mandingo
Pink Helmet

Postby Rodney Farva » 29 Mar 2005, 04:04

mandingo wrote:I agree that the lack of a consistent running game will probably keep the run and shoot out of the NFL. Still, for hopeless franchises (like the Bengals, Cards, Browns etc) I don't see the harm in trying it out. Even with subpar personnel these teams could at least have a fighting chance. And by saving cap money on the offensive side, a team could build a solid D. Pretty much like Houston's "House of Pain" defenses of the early '90s.

The run and shoot actually sets up pretty well for the run. There've been a few 1,000 yd rushers out of the run and shoot in the NFL and I believe the college yards per carry record is still held by Chuck Weatherspoon out of Andre Wares offense. but most likely the bottom tier NFL teams will stick with overly conservative gutless play calling. grumble grumble grumble

I don't think the Bungles are hopeless anymore, even if their mommy dresses them funny. Maybe the last two years they've been overrated by all the bandwagon jumpers, but they seem like they know what they're doing for a change.

I don't think the run 'n shoot works in the NFL for a lot of reasons.

The defenses are too sophisticated and talented and the coaching too good, even with the offense-friendly rules.
With the cap and free agency, you probably couldn't build enough quality WR depth to withstand the injuries that are sure to come off those quick slants.
Roster size doesn't help either, because you'll still need a tight end or two, full back, extra O-line, etc. for situational play.
It will also screw you because you need more than just 873 WRs for special teams.
It's impossible to max protect the QB, so you're likely to get injuries there as well because the blitz schemes will get him sooner or later, even if it's hits right after the throw rather than sacks.
That offense grinds to a halt in bad winter weather, so good luck if you draw Green Bay, the Pats, Cleveland or Pittsburgh on the road in December or the playoffs.
You coin contrarian bro and say shit nonsense like this.
Rodney Farva
Your real father

Postby Snake » 29 Mar 2005, 16:31

Speaking of the Bungles and their ludicrous uniforms, my friends and I have actually coopted the team name to refer to girls who are the opposite of butterfaces. She is a Bengal if the helmet is nice, but the uniform is ugly
Let me be very clear. I AM NOT A 49ers FAN!!!

I am the Beer Pong Jesus. If you want a shot at my title, bring it on. BPong.com

~Keep fighting the good fight to get someone else nicknamed Jake the Snake

~Peyton Manning SUCKS
Snake
Basketball Jesus

Postby TheWolf » 29 Mar 2005, 16:38

I like that term a lot Snake. Personally, I think I'd prefer a butterface over a Bengal (if the total package wasn't an option and I was forced to choose) but it's still a great way to describe those girls.
"our kayaking guy sucked and came last"
- SGSW
TheWolf
Hand-Holder

Postby Magnum » 29 Mar 2005, 17:07

Frank the Tank wrote:
sportsdorkhater wrote:that loss had nothing on the yanks losing 4 straight last year to the sox in the alcs, which had never been done before in the history of baseball(i know, i know, you all know that, but damn it feels good to type those words)

While that's true SDH in my heart I prefer to think of the Sox earning every single last ounce of that comeback, not ascribing any bit of it to a Yankees choke. Every single ounce of credit deserves to be heaped upon the glorious Sox. Can I get an Amen from the choir?

AMEN!

and YANKEES SUCK!
Gregs Kite - Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:19 pm: Why am I making a Bitches post again?
BigJohnStudd - Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:19 pm: Because you're a bitch.
Magnum
Better Than You

Re: WHAT THE HELL???

Postby BostonSucksMyBalls » 14 Jun 2013, 16:33

PS: I will never like July 27th. It will always be the day Reggie died. I just hate this day. True Celtic fans know what I mean.

"i'm relatively confident her asshole" - Farva
BostonSucksMyBalls
Slave to Uber

Re:

Postby White Lightning » 17 Jun 2013, 15:30

Rodney Farva wrote:
I don't think the run 'n shoot works in the NFL for a lot of reasons.

The defenses are too sophisticated and talented and the coaching too good, even with the offense-friendly rules.
With the cap and free agency, you probably couldn't build enough quality WR depth to withstand the injuries that are sure to come off those quick slants.
Roster size doesn't help either, because you'll still need a tight end or two, full back, extra O-line, etc. for situational play.
It will also screw you because you need more than just 873 WRs for special teams.
It's impossible to max protect the QB, so you're likely to get injuries there as well because the blitz schemes will get him sooner or later, even if it's hits right after the throw rather than sacks.
That offense grinds to a halt in bad winter weather, so good luck if you draw Green Bay, the Pats, Cleveland or Pittsburgh on the road in December or the playoffs.

I was an Oilers fan at the time, and I think a modified Run and Shoot could work. For one thing, teams are running a lot of 4 WR sets now, so it isn't that far-fetched. The one thing I never liked about those Oilers teams is they lined up 4 WR on every play. Even goal to go on the one yard line. Really, they couldn't use a backup lineman (O or D) as a situational tight end? Keep one tight end on the roster (a good special teamer who could block or even one of the hybrid TE/WR types). Maybe have one of the backup RBs be a potential lead blocker (and teams rarely use FBs now any way).

I would like to see someone try it. Maybe 4 WRs 80% of the time instead of 100%.
Gregs Kite - Wed May 22, 2013 9:55 am: WL is funny, possibly a full blown alcoholic, and seemingly not a prissy dickhead.
White Lightning
Etiquette Instructor

PreviousNext

Return to College Sports