The College Coaching Carousel

The College Coaching Carousel

Postby Colonel Angus » 01 Dec 2015, 12:17

I figured Kite needed a thread to yell "Les Miles!" at us.

Also, it seemed like a good idea - particularly this season with so many major job openings in college football - to have a unified thread for discussion. We can use it for hoops as well.

So anyway...........

ESPN asked some athletic directors about the hire-ability of Lane Kiffin as a head coach: http://insider.espn.go.com/college-foot ... head-coach

It's In$idered, but the funniest quotes to me were:

"You've got to be kidding. No way!" a Group of 5 athletic director said. "Please tell me why. He's terrible with donors, he's terrible with the administration, he's terrible with admissions, he's terrible with the plans, he's terrible with following the rules. Why would you hire him?

"We know Saban wants him out, so now he's trying to shop for jobs?"

"He's had two head-coaching stints that ended in just complete disaster," a Group of 5 AD said. "Athletic directors who hire retreads are morons, given all the talent in the world right now, all these young coaches, all these minority coaches who are phenomenal, who are waiting for an opportunity.

"And no, we're going to go hire Lane Kiffin."

"Yes," one Power 5 athletic director said when asked if Kiffin would get another Power 5 job, "but hold your nose as that guy has so much bad baggage. Renegade hire."

"We all think, 'I can fix this guy,'" a Group of 5 AD said. "We're all nuts. [Bobby] Petrino got hired at Louisville. Those guys all find a spot."

High praise... I still think I'd take him over Muschamp though.

I heard Maryland and Mizzou both contacted Richt. I think each would be a good landing spot for him. I prefer he get out of the SEC though.
"Isn't it no, baas or something? That's how I read it in a boxing book. It's South African or something."
- _, on Roberto Duran.
_ - Sun Jan 31 5:06 pm:
"it was such a sexy goal, that punched me right in the balls. metaphorically"
Colonel Angus
Pun DMC

Re: The College Coaching Carousel

Postby JT99 » 01 Dec 2015, 12:34

Somehow, Virginia thinks that they have a legit shot at Richt. It's funny watching their terrible fans suffer with their terrible team. Like following Flush on Twitter during Fall Saturdays.
BigJohnStudd wrote:The original Annie movie from the 80s has a lot of panty shots for a PG rated kids film.

BostonSucksMyBalls wrote:26 Jan 2017 10:53: need the D
JT99
Between Bannings

Postby CourtesyFlush » 01 Dec 2015, 12:38

JT99 wrote:Like following Flush on Twitter during Fall Saturdays.

It's admittedly pretty terrible--all the time
Gregs Kite - Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:24 pm: I don't know, my Wolfpack can be sneaky good in these games

JichaelDick - Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:47 am: Fulsh, you truly are the best North Carolinian ever. Sorry, Andy Griffith.
CourtesyFlush
Friend of Friends

Postby nova » 01 Dec 2015, 12:44

JT99 wrote:Somehow, Virginia thinks that they have a legit shot at Richt. It's funny watching their terrible fans suffer with their terrible team. Like following Flush on Twitter during Fall Saturdays.

I don't think Maryland has a good chance either. Both schools can come up with the dough if they need to; Maryland, with the Under Armour money and Virginia with their trillion dollar endowment.
Jew Jitsu: It's like you guys are incompatible with each other but have to make due cause you can't pull out.
nova
Thrifty Negro

Postby CourtesyFlush » 01 Dec 2015, 12:50

nova wrote:
JT99 wrote:Somehow, Virginia thinks that they have a legit shot at Richt. It's funny watching their terrible fans suffer with their terrible team. Like following Flush on Twitter during Fall Saturdays.

I don't think Maryland has a good chance either. Both schools can come up with the dough if they need to; Maryland, with the Under Armour money and Virginia with their trillion dollar endowment.

Why wouldn't Maryland or Virginia have a shot? Seems like Richt would want a lower pressure job after being relatively successful at UGA.
Gregs Kite - Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:24 pm: I don't know, my Wolfpack can be sneaky good in these games

JichaelDick - Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:47 am: Fulsh, you truly are the best North Carolinian ever. Sorry, Andy Griffith.
CourtesyFlush
Friend of Friends

Postby nova » 01 Dec 2015, 12:56

CourtesyFlush wrote:
nova wrote:

Why wouldn't Maryland or Virginia have a shot? Seems like Richt would want a lower pressure job after being relatively successful at UGA.

Those are both terrible jobs. I would rather be a DC at a real program than those joke programs.
Jew Jitsu: It's like you guys are incompatible with each other but have to make due cause you can't pull out.
nova
Thrifty Negro

Postby Briandong79 » 01 Dec 2015, 12:57

nova wrote:
CourtesyFlush wrote:
nova wrote:

Those are both terrible jobs. I would rather be a DC at a real program than those joke programs.

Richt would be an OC, but I agree. He's probably going to wind up taking over for Kiffin under Saban.
PhillyJim76 - Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:20 am: X?I wrote a disturbing clueless fan fiction story that got me in hot water in college
Briandong79
Beep Boop

Postby CourtesyFlush » 01 Dec 2015, 12:58

nova wrote:
CourtesyFlush wrote:
nova wrote:

Agree to disagree. They were once really good programs. Maryland was in the Orange Bowl within the last 10 years.

CourtesyFlush
Friend of Friends

Postby The Long Dick of the Law » 01 Dec 2015, 12:58

CourtesyFlush wrote:
nova wrote:
CourtesyFlush wrote:
nova wrote:

Agree to disagree. They were once really good programs. Maryland was in the Orange Bowl within the last 10 years.

So was Wake Forest
mister bacon love watching soccer. baseball is about as exciting as scratching my balls.
MisterTambourineMan you're not scratching your balls right, then.
The Long Dick of the Law
TRU Patriot

Postby Colonel Angus » 01 Dec 2015, 12:59

Briandong79 wrote:
nova wrote:
CourtesyFlush wrote:
nova wrote:

Richt would be an OC, but I agree. He's probably going to wind up taking over for Kiffin under Saban.

I think most outgoing OCs are perceived this way by their teams' fans, but FSU fans weren't exactly sorry to see Richt go IIRC.
"Isn't it no, baas or something? That's how I read it in a boxing book. It's South African or something."
- _, on Roberto Duran.
_ - Sun Jan 31 5:06 pm:
"it was such a sexy goal, that punched me right in the balls. metaphorically"
Colonel Angus
Pun DMC

Postby Gregs Kite » 01 Dec 2015, 13:03

Does this thread mean less (miles!) of this talk in the box?
You fuckers ruined kite.

Apr 22, 2015 3:49 pm Clayton Bigsby i enjoy sports

TheWolf - Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:26 pm: i'm ctz. i'm sober at 3:30 pm. dork

Frank the Tank wrote:If I die I leave my red font to Kite.
Gregs Kite
Friend of Friends

Postby JT99 » 01 Dec 2015, 13:04

CourtesyFlush wrote:
nova wrote:
CourtesyFlush wrote:
nova wrote:

You gotta change the channel once in a while and not watch the Raycom game of the week
BigJohnStudd wrote:The original Annie movie from the 80s has a lot of panty shots for a PG rated kids film.

BostonSucksMyBalls wrote:26 Jan 2017 10:53: need the D
JT99
Between Bannings

Postby nova » 01 Dec 2015, 13:05

CourtesyFlush wrote:
nova wrote:
CourtesyFlush wrote:
nova wrote:

I don't know if I'd ever call Maryland a really good program. They had a few blips like Kansas, but they have been laughable for most of my lifetime.

Virginia had a run in the 90s but they've made consecutive bad hires since Welch left. They're a program that has been passed by Wake and Duke, for Christ's sake.
nova
Thrifty Negro

Postby BostonSucksMyBalls » 01 Dec 2015, 13:09

Any insight on who's gonna replace that waste of life-form Addazio at BC?
PS: I will never like July 27th. It will always be the day Reggie died. I just hate this day. True Celtic fans know what I mean.
BostonSucksMyBalls
Work Creep

Postby mj3528 » 01 Dec 2015, 13:10

BostonSucksMyBalls wrote:Any insight on who's gonna replace that waste of life-form Addazio at BC?

Temple's current coach I believe.
2009 NFL Pick 'em Champion
SOTSG Fantasy Basketball (Almost Entirely) 2012 Champion
2015 SOTSG NFL Survivor Champion, Part 2
2015 SOTSG Death Pool Co-Champion
mj3528
Never Forgotten

Next

Return to College Sports