Old School College Basketball

Old School College Basketball

Postby Bricks » 25 Jan 2013, 14:48

JT99 opened the door to a topic really in my wheelhouse (TM Simmons, in the Sports Guy Book of Patents that also includes Mount Rushmore):

JT99 wrote:
The Long Dick of the Law wrote:Yeah what a terrible doc that'd be about the best college basketball player ever and the team that ended UCLA's streak of national titles and played in the greatest game in ACC history with their OT win over Maryland in the ACC Champ game at a time when only conference winners made the tourney and some of the issues surrounding them like the 2 year tourney ban from recruiting David Thompson when it was one of those, "everyone was doing it" type of things and people accusing Dean Smith of ratting out NC State and therefore an NC State team with a perfect record was unable to compete for a national title.

That doc would probably be even worse than that run-on sentence.

No.

But, he is on the starting five.

College basketball all-time starting five, man. It's tough because two of the best college players ever were centers (Alcindor and Walton) and you could probably make a strong case for Patrick Ewing.
nova wrote:With all of that said, fuck VCU. Fuck that shiny midget Shaka Smart. Fuck the city of Richmond.
Bricks
Basketball Jesus

Re: Old School College Basketball

Postby JT99 » 25 Jan 2013, 14:51

Bricks wrote:College basketball all-time starting five, man. It's tough because two of the best college players ever were centers (Alcindor and Walton) and you could probably make a strong case for Patrick Ewing.

A stronger case could be made for Ralph Sampson at center but Alcindor should get the nod.

PG -
SG - Maravich
SF - Thompson
PF -
C - Alcindor

60% done.
BigJohnStudd wrote:The original Annie movie from the 80s has a lot of panty shots for a PG rated kids film.

BostonSucksMyBalls wrote:26 Jan 2017 10:53: need the D
JT99
Between Bannings

Postby JichaelDick » 25 Jan 2013, 14:52

Just because I can...

PG-Oscar Robertson
SG-Pete Maravich
SF-David Thompson
PF-Bill Walton
C-Lew Alcindor
TVF wannabe - Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:42 pm: ...a good rule of thumb is if you post some thing like that and IMS quickly jumps in with an uncomfortable reference you went too far
JichaelDick
Delightful Nutjob

Postby Bricks » 25 Jan 2013, 14:52

JT99 wrote:
Bricks wrote:College basketball all-time starting five, man. It's tough because two of the best college players ever were centers (Alcindor and Walton) and you could probably make a strong case for Patrick Ewing.

A stronger case could be made for Ralph Sampson at center but Alcindor should get the nod.

PG -
SG - Maravich
SF - Thompson
PF -
C - Alcindor

60% done.

Yeah good call on Sampson. Robertson at point guard? Got UC a national championship.

ETA: Rummied by Jike
nova wrote:With all of that said, fuck VCU. Fuck that shiny midget Shaka Smart. Fuck the city of Richmond.
Bricks
Basketball Jesus

Postby BostonSucksMyBalls » 25 Jan 2013, 14:53

Tebow.
PS: I will never like July 27th. It will always be the day Reggie died. I just hate this day. True Celtic fans know what I mean.

"i'm relatively confident her asshole" - Farva
BostonSucksMyBalls
Work Creep

Postby JichaelDick » 25 Jan 2013, 14:54

This is where I go full-on nerd and say the Big O never won a title at Cincy--they won back-to-back titles right after he left. That, however, does not diminish how awesome he was.

ETA: Every single thing I see has Walton/Alcindor as 1/2 in best college players ever. I figure there's no reason they couldn't be on the court at the same time.
TVF wannabe - Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:42 pm: ...a good rule of thumb is if you post some thing like that and IMS quickly jumps in with an uncomfortable reference you went too far
JichaelDick
Delightful Nutjob

Postby Bricks » 25 Jan 2013, 14:55

JichaelDick wrote:Just because I can...

PG-Oscar Robertson
SG-Pete Maravich
SF-David Thompson
PF-Bill Walton
C-Lew Alcindor

Elvin Hayes at PF
Bricks
Basketball Jesus

Postby MisterTambourineMan » 25 Jan 2013, 14:55

JichaelDick wrote:Just because I can...

PG-Oscar Robertson
SG-Pete Maravich
SF-David Thompson
PF-Bill Walton
C-Lew Alcindor

Co-sign this.....although......man......it is taking all my energy to not say Glenn Robinson should be the sf......ooof, lotta energy.

bench
Laettner, Sampson, Ewing, G. Robinson, and Chris Herren
MisterTambourineMan
Now

Postby Briandong79 » 25 Jan 2013, 14:56

Best I distinctly remember watching:

PG: Kenny Anderson
SG: Chris Jackson
SF: Glenn Robinson
PF: Larry Johnson
C: David Robinson
PhillyJim76 - Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:20 am: X?I wrote a disturbing clueless fan fiction story that got me in hot water in college
Briandong79
Beep Boop

Postby The Long Dick of the Law » 25 Jan 2013, 14:57

I know he went to Dook and all but Bobby Hurley was pretty damn good at PG :/
mister bacon love watching soccer. baseball is about as exciting as scratching my balls.
MisterTambourineMan you're not scratching your balls right, then.
The Long Dick of the Law
TRU Patriot

Postby JichaelDick » 25 Jan 2013, 14:58

The Long Dick of the Law wrote:I know he went to Dook and all but Bobby Hurley was pretty damn good at PG :/

He was, but three-time POY trumps that. Nothing about his game tells me that the Big O couldn't have dominated later on, either.

If I'm putting a Dookie on my all-time team, it's Laettner. And possibly Grant Hill. But definitely Laettner.
JichaelDick
Delightful Nutjob

Postby Briandong79 » 25 Jan 2013, 14:59

JichaelDick wrote:
The Long Dick of the Law wrote:I know he went to Dook and all but Bobby Hurley was pretty damn good at PG :/

He was, but three-time POY trumps that. Nothing about his game tells me that the Big O couldn't have dominated later on, either.

If I'm putting a Dookie on my all-time team, it's Laettner. And possibly Grant Hill. But definitely Laettner.

Yeah I couldn't decide between Laettner & Johnson at PF in my lineup.
PhillyJim76 - Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:20 am: X?I wrote a disturbing clueless fan fiction story that got me in hot water in college
Briandong79
Beep Boop

Postby JT99 » 25 Jan 2013, 15:00

JichaelDick wrote:

Laettner should be in the discussion at PF if Walton is held true to being a center.

Point guard, after Robertson is tough, Hurley is in the hunt but Phil Ford was probably better.
BigJohnStudd wrote:The original Annie movie from the 80s has a lot of panty shots for a PG rated kids film.

BostonSucksMyBalls wrote:26 Jan 2017 10:53: need the D
JT99
Between Bannings

Postby mj3528 » 25 Jan 2013, 15:02

JT99 wrote:
JichaelDick wrote:

Laettner should be in the discussion at PF if Walton is held true to being a center.

Point guard, after Robertson is tough, Hurley is in the hunt but Phil Ford was probably better.

Hurley finished really strong, but he should be eliminated from contention based on UNLV almost literally making him shit his pants in their match-up.
2009 NFL Pick 'em Champion
SOTSG Fantasy Basketball (Almost Entirely) 2012 Champion
2015 SOTSG NFL Survivor Champion, Part 2
2015 SOTSG Death Pool Co-Champion
2017 SOTSG Fantasy Basketball Champion
mj3528
Never Forgotten

Postby Bricks » 25 Jan 2013, 15:03

Briandong79 wrote:Best I distinctly remember watching:

PG: Kenny Anderson
SG: Chris Jackson
SF: Glenn Robinson
PF: Larry Johnson
C: David Robinson

Going just off dudes I have watched:

C: Tim Duncan
PF: Christian Laettner (vomit)
SF: Glenn Robinson (though Grant Hill that same season was awesome)
SG: Dwyane Wade
PG: Jason Kidd; his Cal teams should have won earth but Todd Bozeman was a bigger ho than even Rick Barnes

I'd also reserve a spot for Kevin Durant on the bench. His one season he was pretty damn good.

ETA: #-o Fuck I'm dumb. Best freshman season I've seen was Melo, and it's not close.
Bricks
Basketball Jesus

Next

Return to College Sports