1999, 2004, 2011 and 2014 NCAA Basketball Champions UConn

1999, 2004, 2011 and 2014 NCAA Basketball Champions UConn

Postby Frank the Tank » 30 Jan 2005, 18:23

Rickey, if you're reading this have an extra drink for me. I have to wait until the kids are in bed before I drink away my sorrows from that Marcus Williams missed layup down 2 with 15 seconds to go.

Take last weekend's choke against Pitt and the excruciating loss against ND today and I'm convinced the five-year grace period needs exceptions. It's not the losing so much as the way they're losing.

Serenity now!!!
Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet

Re: University of Connecticut Huskies Men's Basketball

Postby bringbackthewhalers » 31 Jan 2005, 08:04

Frank the Tank wrote:Serenity now!!!

Insanity later.

If there's an exception to the grace period rule it has to be the 2004-2005 version of the UConn men and women. The losses have been unbearable, it's like they create a new way to lose every weekend, maybe New England needs at least one team that cant get it done when it matters and the Pats and Sox have relinquished the crown. Even the women lost in Storrs which hasn't happened in what? A Decade? The men are playing like an NIT team right now, and all of the BC fans that just walked out of the wood-work aren't making it any easier to cope.
Fidem Servavi.
bringbackthewhalers
Hope College Alum

Postby Frank the Tank » 31 Jan 2005, 08:39

I think the five-year grace period should be changed to the "five-year benefit of the doubt period". For example, if Theo Epstein makes a trade akin to the Paul DePodesta trade last year that had all the Dodgers fans up in arms we probably have to give Theo benefit of the doubt. While we would all hate the trade, we can't be absolutely sure it was a horrible move until everything plays out. On the other hand, if during one specific game an easy win is blown because Manny Ramirez drops a routine fly ball in left field then we can complain, because there was a definite error committed there. There is no doubt that one clear mistake cost the game. Those types of mistakes should never be immune from fan anger. UConn's had a lot of those lately, between the missed layup for the men yesterday and Ann Strother missing the last two free throws down one to Tennessee. Those are problems that really make it tough on the fans. It would almost be easier if they just were a bad 16-13 team on its way to the NIT.
Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet

Postby Magnum » 31 Jan 2005, 11:30

marcus williams....layup drills for the rest of your life.

absolutely terrible.
Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:49 pm MisterTambourineMan you're salt of the earth, jike. like, a lot of salt.
Magnum
Better Than You

Postby Rickey Sez » 31 Jan 2005, 12:01

It's too bad about that missed layup. Marcus was having such a good game, and that's all anyone's gonna remember now.

It ain't Marcus's fault. At least he's playing like he cares.

Chuck V. and The Boonetang I don't know about. I mean, Boone's gotta be hurt, right? He's letting himself get thrown all over the place.

And Special Ed Nelson? He couldnt guard a/an (insert thing that is easy to guard here) ! Ugh.

No mojo shots yesterday. I don't believe in them anymore.

So very, very frustrating. As my mom said, "they couldn't beat your brother's special olympic team right now."
Rickey Sez
( O )( O )

Postby Rickey Sez » 10 Feb 2005, 00:32

The UNC game is coming up this weekend.

Thoughts, anyone?

Granted, it was against Duke in Cameron and the temperature on the floor must have been in the 90's, but UNC looked BAD tonight. Very careless with the ball. Played terrible D.

May's gonna be a problem for us, especially if Boone keeps playing like crap. Who's gonna body-up on him? Special Ed Nelson?

Charlie should present some problems for them, though. Especially when he's out there with Rudy Gay. Who guards who? I assume that Jawad Williams will take Charlie and Jackie Manuel will take Gay.

Despite their up-and-downness this season, I think the Huskies take it. Even without Rashad Anderson.
Rickey Sez
( O )( O )

Postby JohnnyDamon » 10 Feb 2005, 00:55

Rickey Sez wrote:The UNC game is coming up this weekend.

Thoughts, anyone?

Granted, it was against Duke in Cameron and the temperature on the floor must have been in the 90's, but UNC looked BAD tonight. Very careless with the ball. Played terrible D.

May's gonna be a problem for us, especially if Boone keeps playing like crap. Who's gonna body-up on him? Special Ed Nelson?

Charlie should present some problems for them, though. Especially when he's out there with Rudy Gay. Who guards who? I assume that Jawad Williams will take Charlie and Jackie Manuel will take Gay.

Despite their up-and-downness this season, I think the Huskies take it. Even without Rashad Anderson.

UNC played horribly, at Duke, against the #8 team in America....and still had a chance to win the game at the end. If Felton wouldn't have had a sudden burst of mental retardedness, then we would talk about how great they were to come back.
I've grown so used to you somehow, Lord I'm nobody's sugar daddy now, and I'm lo-oo-onesome, I've got the lovesick blues.
JohnnyDamon
The Bomb Dick

Postby Rickey Sez » 10 Feb 2005, 01:26

JohnnyDamon wrote:UNC played horribly, at Duke, against the #8 team in America....and still had a chance to win the game at the end. If Felton wouldn't have had a sudden burst of mental retardedness, then we would talk about how great they were to come back.

I would be talking about how crappy Duke was to let UNC come back. Maybe I'm being overly harsh here, but I thought neither team played well enough to "deserve" a win.

Duke didn't play well, either. But if Felton did end up hitting a game winning shot, I still would have thought that Duke outplayed UNC over 40 minutes.

And that's saying something. I hate Duke as much as I hate the Yankees, if not more. I'll never forget that CBS video of Redick walking away from the handshake line after the UConn/Duke Final Four game of last year. As much as I hate the Yankees, and as much as I hate Jeter, you never would have seen Jeter do something like that.

The Huskies are just now finding that signature late-season stride of theirs. Will UNC be pissed-off-super-focused coming into Storrs off that loss at Duke, or will their heads still be buried in the sand, unable to shake it off? Or is any of that even a factor?

on a side note -- did anybody hear Redick's postgame interview, where he said "they ran that same thing last year to beat UConn" or something like that? Kinda interesting for Redick to bring up a UConn loss after a big Duke win.

on another side note -- before the UConn/Duke Final Four game last year, I made a Chris Duhon bobble head doll out of an SI photo and a douche bottle. One of my finest mojo moments ever.

side note #3 -- anybody planning on going to the Big East Tournament this year?
Rickey Sez
( O )( O )

Postby mister bacon » 10 Feb 2005, 01:56

Rickey Sez wrote:
JohnnyDamon wrote:UNC played horribly, at Duke, against the #8 team in America....and still had a chance to win the game at the end. If Felton wouldn't have had a sudden burst of mental retardedness, then we would talk about how great they were to come back.

I would be talking about how crappy Duke was to let UNC come back. Maybe I'm being overly harsh here, but I thought neither team played well enough to "deserve" a win.

Duke didn't play well, either. But if Felton did end up hitting a game winning shot, I still would have thought that Duke outplayed UNC over 40 minutes.

And that's saying something. I hate Duke as much as I hate the Yankees, if not more. I'll never forget that CBS video of Redick walking away from the handshake line after the UConn/Duke Final Four game of last year. As much as I hate the Yankees, and as much as I hate Jeter, you never would have seen Jeter do something like that.

The Huskies are just now finding that signature late-season stride of theirs. Will UNC be pissed-off-super-focused coming into Storrs off that loss at Duke, or will their heads still be buried in the sand, unable to shake it off? Or is any of that even a factor?

on a side note -- did anybody hear Redick's postgame interview, where he said "they ran that same thing last year to beat UConn" or something like that? Kinda interesting for Redick to bring up a UConn loss after a big Duke win.

on another side note -- before the UConn/Duke Final Four game last year, I made a Chris Duhon bobble head doll out of an SI photo and a douche bottle. One of my finest mojo moments ever.

side note #3 -- anybody planning on going to the Big East Tournament this year?

Reddick is a fuckin punk. I'd like to punch him in the face. Dickweed.

Also the douche bottle thing. I dont know whether to be scared, proud, or disgusted. That says something about you. What... I'm not sure.
2006 SOTSG ESPN March Madness Tourney Challenge Champion
2010 SOTSG NFL Pick 'Em Champion

mj3528 wrote: I hate panhandlers with dogs. I feel so bad for the dog.

ctz31 - Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:30 pm: I'm gonna win a chip w romo. I'm done w blacks. No offense
mister bacon
Black on Both Sides

Postby Frank the Tank » 10 Feb 2005, 07:57

UNC is going to be very tough, especially coming off that loss. UConn's heating up at the right time and definitely has a chance to win it, but I think the matchups favor UNC if they're both playing at their best.

Rickey, I'm 50/50 for the Big East tournament.
Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet

Postby Magnum » 10 Feb 2005, 09:25

I think UConn needs to win, especially after all of the terrible losses (UMass, BC, etc.) this year. Syracuse was big, but UNC will be bigger. This win will give them the confidence that I think they've been lacking all season. Just in time for end of the season/Big East Tourney. The fact that it's at Gampel and not the Civic Center also will give the Huskies the edge. It sucks about Rashad, but I if think Denham Brown can step it up, Charlie plays well, and Boone stops sucking, UConn has a good chance. Gampel will be shaking!

As far as the Big East is concerned, if I can get tickets, I'll go. I went 2 years ago as a student, and had a blast, despite losing to Pitt in the finals. I went last year, and got to sit in the player's family section, thanks to Taliek Brown (my friend was pretty good friends with him). Good times, especially beating Pitt.
Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:49 pm MisterTambourineMan you're salt of the earth, jike. like, a lot of salt.
Magnum
Better Than You

Postby JohnnyDamon » 10 Feb 2005, 14:55

Redick is an asshole, and his whining after the Maryland fans dropped the "Fuck you, J.J." (one of my favorite moments ever, even if Duke beat Maryland) was priceless...

I do think a super-pissed off UNC team takes out UConn Saturday, while Maryland takes out a complacent Duke team Sunday.
I've grown so used to you somehow, Lord I'm nobody's sugar daddy now, and I'm lo-oo-onesome, I've got the lovesick blues.
JohnnyDamon
The Bomb Dick

Postby mister bacon » 10 Feb 2005, 18:48

I dont think a loss to BC qualifies as a "Terrible Loss".
2006 SOTSG ESPN March Madness Tourney Challenge Champion
2010 SOTSG NFL Pick 'Em Champion

mj3528 wrote: I hate panhandlers with dogs. I feel so bad for the dog.

ctz31 - Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:30 pm: I'm gonna win a chip w romo. I'm done w blacks. No offense
mister bacon
Black on Both Sides

Postby Rickey Sez » 10 Feb 2005, 22:11

When you're a UConn fan, any loss to BC is terrible.
Rickey Sez
( O )( O )

Postby Frank the Tank » 10 Feb 2005, 22:25

Rickey Sez wrote:When you're a UConn fan, any loss to BC is terrible.

Especially this year considering the vitriolic circumstances under which B.C. is leaving the Big East. Calhoun (and other Big East coaches) have already vowed never to schedule the Eagles again, so our only chance to smack them down after this year will be the NCAA tournament. That's why I want one more chance to beat them in the Big East tourney.

If we get that rematch and B.C. wins again I'll just go up to Fenway, plant myself in front of the Series winning ball, curl up in a fetal position, and suck my thumb.
Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet

Next

Return to College Sports