National Signing Day/Recruiting

National Signing Day/Recruiting

Postby God Shamgod » 03 Feb 2009, 19:32

Why not? Tons of threads about gay shit on here, I want to talk about 17 and 18 year olds picking hats lined up on a table. Enough people follow it and there is enough weird stories that will happen to generate some content.

Pretty solid class for the Noles. McDaniel and McAllister are going to contribute from day one on the DL and Downs will be a playmaker where ever we he plays. Hoping we can flip a few of UF's commits tomorrow. Greg Reid (MVP of the Under Armour Game and considered by some to be #1 CB in the country) just committed :ohyeah:

It will be interesting to see where Bryce Brown ends up. He has been "committed" to Miami for a while, but is still taking visits and could end up at a number of places and will extend past NSD. His recruitment is really shady with his "mentor" calling the shots.

LSU looks to have a sick class.
ctz31 wrote:I hate hate hate the fact that I never had the opportunity to be an orgy guy.
God Shamgod
1-900-SHAMGOD

Re: National Signing Day/Recruiting

Postby mj3528 » 03 Feb 2009, 19:48

Unfortunately, for their many haters, Ohio State looks like they will be sniffing around the BCS for years to come. They look to have a great class, and are once again going to Florida for speed. Good decision.
2009 NFL Pick 'em Champion
SOTSG Fantasy Basketball (Almost Entirely) 2012 Champion
2015 SOTSG NFL Survivor Champion, Part 2
2015 SOTSG Death Pool Co-Champion
2017 SOTSG Fantasy Basketball Champion
mj3528
Never Forgotten

Postby Dr. Acula » 03 Feb 2009, 19:58

I barely follow this phenomenon, despite living in this hotbed of college football (MA). Still, I find it amazing how many stories have been written about the Mormon/Samoan/Hawaiian (Te'o)football recruit who isn't going to BYU. I support the kid for taking on his entire religion by making this type of stand, but is it really worthy of the type of coverage it has received? Maybe so, as I'm writing about it. By the way, my guess is ND.
"Manning had his own anal traits, plus the never-ending Brett Favre unretirement saga, to thank for that." - Peter Queen
Dr. Acula
Poot

Postby edogpgc » 03 Feb 2009, 23:16

God Shamgod wrote:Greg Reid (MVP of the Under Armour Game and considered by some to be #1 CB in the country) just committed

I think I read an article about him a week ago. IIRC, he was always a huge Gator fan and was their first committment of the '09 class, but got scared off by Florida's young talent at CB. It seems like the 5* guys usually aren't worried about that stuff, but I still have no idea how USC continues to stack 5* after 5*. Hazelton transferred to Cincinnati a couple of weeks ago.

mj3528 wrote:Unfortunately, for their many haters, Ohio State looks like they will be sniffing around the BCS for years to come. They look to have a great class, and are once again going to Florida for speed. Good decision.

Agreed. I made this point in another thread a month or two ago. OSU loses a TON off of this year's team, though, including most of their best players. TP will be a baller, but by OSU standards, OSU should be down next year.

Zook lost a couple of UI's top recruits for various academic reasons (one to JD's Rebs). In the past, he'd been signing academic risks and hoping they qualify, but I guess not this year. I'm still pretty pleased with the class (should be top 30ish) in light of how the past season went, and think it might be a bit underrated, but his recruiting is very uneven. He's stacking 4* and 5* WRs and DL, but consistently striking out on all his top LB (a huge position of need) and RB targets. Also, the '07 class has a pretty high attrition %. The 2009 season is very important for Zook and the program.
edogpgc
Friend of Lohan

Postby IhateTomBrady » 04 Feb 2009, 01:24

The Reuben Randle recruiting saga is quite interesting. If he doesn't pull a Terrelle Pryor and wait a month to sign, I'd guess he signs with LSU tomorrow. There has been alot of smoke lately he might go to OU though.
_ to Dick Hertz: You wrote your own death when you signed the cheque off on that McMansion that is most definitely underwater at this point but too proud to tell anyone here... You don't know jack shit about the blue collar life you yuppie faggot.
IhateTomBrady
Smartest Guy In The Room

Postby God Shamgod » 04 Feb 2009, 09:01

God Shamgod wrote:
It will be interesting to see where Bryce Brown ends up. He has been "committed" to Miami for a while, but is still taking visits and could end up at a number of places and will extend past NSD. His recruitment is really shady with his "mentor" calling the shots.

Here's a really good article detailing it

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/04/sports/ncaafootball/04recruit.html?pagewanted=1&_r=2&ref=sports

While there are always going to be some shady things, football recruiting is generally not considered the cesspool basketball recruiting is. I do el oh el at Miami having to waste two scholarships on some scrubs with no 1-A offers to try and keep their "commitment." Shannon is making a deal with the devil to try and keep his job. I hope this idiot goes and plays in the CFL.
ctz31 wrote:I hate hate hate the fact that I never had the opportunity to be an orgy guy.
God Shamgod
1-900-SHAMGOD

Postby IhateTomBrady » 04 Feb 2009, 11:43

God Shamgod wrote:
God Shamgod wrote:

Here's a really good article detailing it

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/04/sports/ncaafootball/04recruit.html?pagewanted=1&_r=2&ref=sports

While there are always going to be some shady things, football recruiting is generally not considered the cesspool basketball recruiting is. I do el oh el at Miami having to waste two scholarships on some scrubs with no 1-A offers to try and keep their "commitment." Shannon is making a deal with the devil to try and keep his job. I hope this idiot goes and plays in
the CFL.

Most major schools will honor those offers but most coaches will help encourage players they don't want anymore to look around. See: Orelus, Henry. He had a horrible camp at LSU and he eventually ended up at FSU.
_ to Dick Hertz: You wrote your own death when you signed the cheque off on that McMansion that is most definitely underwater at this point but too proud to tell anyone here... You don't know jack shit about the blue collar life you yuppie faggot.
IhateTomBrady
Smartest Guy In The Room

Postby the cheese » 04 Feb 2009, 11:48

IhateTomBrady wrote:The Reuben Randle recruiting saga is quite interesting. If he doesn't pull a Terrelle Pryor and wait a month to sign, I'd guess he signs with LSU tomorrow. There has been alot of smoke lately he might go to OU though.

That was frontpage of the Oklahoman today. I'd like to see that happen, for sure.
Clayton Bigsby - Wed May 23, 2012 2:55 pm: i'd rather live with a guy who's kind of annoying but a nice guy than a guy who's kind of annoying and a dick
the cheese
The Douche

Postby BostonSucksMyBalls » 04 Feb 2009, 13:03

Hmmm. Lemme think aboot this. If I was a high school football stud, and I could pick any school, where would I go?

I think Id go to one of the following: Alabama, Miami, Virginia Tech, Penn State, or Tennesee.

Thanks.
PS: I will never like July 27th. It will always be the day Reggie died. I just hate this day. True Celtic fans know what I mean.

"i'm relatively confident her asshole" - Farva
BostonSucksMyBalls
Work Creep

Postby Colonel Angus » 04 Feb 2009, 13:07

Still a long way to go, obviously, but I am impressed with Kiffin et al so far. Pulling Darren Myles away from Bama was huge and all credit goes to Monte for that one. And we apparently pulled a kid away from Florida that nobody has any info about because we were never really a player with him.

The way Vol fans look at it, regardless of the actual quality of the players involved, if we can piss off Saban and Meyer on the same day, it is a successful signing day.
"Isn't it no, baas or something? That's how I read it in a boxing book. It's South African or something."
- _, on Roberto Duran.
_ - Sun Jan 31 5:06 pm:
"it was such a sexy goal, that punched me right in the balls. metaphorically"
Colonel Angus
Pun DMC

Postby the cheese » 04 Feb 2009, 13:10

BostonSucksMyBalls wrote:Hmmm. Lemme think aboot this. If I was a high school football stud, and I could pick any school, where would I go?

I think Id go to one of the following: Alabama, Miami, Virginia Tech, Penn State, or Tennesee.

Thanks.

I'd probably go with OU, Texas, USC, Florida State, Georgia, or Ohio State
Clayton Bigsby - Wed May 23, 2012 2:55 pm: i'd rather live with a guy who's kind of annoying but a nice guy than a guy who's kind of annoying and a dick
the cheese
The Douche

Postby nova » 04 Feb 2009, 13:13

the cheese wrote:
BostonSucksMyBalls wrote:Hmmm. Lemme think aboot this. If I was a high school football stud, and I could pick any school, where would I go?

Thanks.

I'd probably go with OU, Texas, USC, Florida State, Georgia, or Ohio State

I wouldn't waste my time at a school where the women are bundled up for more than 15 days per academic year.

USC, Miami, Florida State, Georgia. Period.
Jew Jitsu: It's like you guys are incompatible with each other but have to make due cause you can't pull out.
nova
Thrifty Negro

Postby mister bacon » 04 Feb 2009, 14:15

my preferences, in order.

1. USC
2. ASU
3. FSU
4. Miami
5. Oregon
2006 SOTSG ESPN March Madness Tourney Challenge Champion
2010 SOTSG NFL Pick 'Em Champion

TheWolf wrote: Being a douche is a very expensive hobby.

ctz31 - Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:30 pm: I'm gonna win a chip w romo. I'm done w blacks. No offense
mister bacon
Black on Both Sides

Postby Colonel Angus » 04 Feb 2009, 16:14

Well, Marlon Brown ended up going to Georgia.

Lane should have sent his wife for a home visit.

"Isn't it no, baas or something? That's how I read it in a boxing book. It's South African or something."
- _, on Roberto Duran.
_ - Sun Jan 31 5:06 pm:
"it was such a sexy goal, that punched me right in the balls. metaphorically"
Colonel Angus
Pun DMC

Postby JichaelDick » 05 Feb 2009, 00:40

Yes I'm biased and yes I know the baggage, but for hot women, good competition, and a chance at the big time, I would seriously consider Ole Miss.
TVF wannabe - Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:42 pm: ...a good rule of thumb is if you post some thing like that and IMS quickly jumps in with an uncomfortable reference you went too far
JichaelDick
Delightful Nutjob

Next

Return to College Sports