More than just Dook and UNC...ACC Basketball

Re: More than just Dook and UNC...ACC Basketball

Postby Rodney Farva » 17 Feb 2017, 00:45

flesh, treat yourself to your own wolfpack thread if you'd like. gosh darn it, you deserve it.
You coin contrarian bro and say shit nonsense like this.
Rodney Farva
Your real father

Postby CourtesyFlush » 17 Feb 2017, 09:00

Rodney Farva wrote:flesh, treat yourself to your own wolfpack thread if you'd like. gosh darn it, you deserve it.

I'll set up a thread when and if we ever win another ACC championship in either men's/women's basketball, football, or baseball. Until then NC State hasn't done anything on the court/field to warrant its own thread here.

Growing tired of the same national talking heads telling Wolfpack fans they're unrealistic in who they want for a coach. Yeah, Gottfried inherited a mess from Sidney Lowe and did very well his first four seasons to get us into the NCAA tournament and a couple Sweet 16s.

Then what happened? The same coach suffered the same end he encountered at Alabama--player turnover every year meant a bunch of new faces and no real foundation for a program. It all came home to roost this year--historically bad defense, lack of effort (even questioned/called out by opposing players), and players basically tuning out Gottfried over the last month or so. Our administration had to make the call to fire Gottfried. There's no clear direction for the program other than a downward spiral. It's a mess.

We need a coach who isn't afraid to go against UNC/Duke at least 3 times a year. Gott embraced that, but there wasn't any substance to sustain it long term. Someone like Gregg Marshall checks that box. Archie Miller does too. Will we get them? Probably not, but don't shit on our dreams just to keep your narrative intact.

tl;dr version: Go Pack
Gregs Kite - Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:24 pm: I don't know, my Wolfpack can be sneaky good in these games

JichaelDick - Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:47 am: Fulsh, you truly are the best North Carolinian ever. Sorry, Andy Griffith.
CourtesyFlush
Friend of Friends

Postby SouthernYokel » 17 Feb 2017, 09:12

the annual turnover is not the problem i don't think. there aren't that many tier 1 teams using multi-year starters anymore. Gott just wasn't getting tier 1 talent. You need a recruiter. I don't think Gregg Marshall is that guy. Love him but he doesn't seem very interested in that part of the job. Cuonzo seems like a good choice to me assuming he can avoid NCAA issues, which appears to be easier to do these days since they are losing clout by the hour.
JT99 wrote:imagine working your entire board life on being a guy investigating every nook and cranny of others' sexual lives only to have some drunken baboon stumble into the r&t jackpot
SouthernYokel
Hank the Hangover Turtle

Postby CourtesyFlush » 17 Feb 2017, 09:23

SouthernYokel wrote:the annual turnover is not the problem i don't think. there aren't that many tier 1 teams using multi-year starters anymore. Gott just wasn't getting tier 1 talent. You need a recruiter. I don't think Gregg Marshall is that guy. Love him but he doesn't seem very interested in that part of the job. Cuonzo seems like a good choice to me assuming he can avoid NCAA issues, which appears to be easier to do these days since they are losing clout by the hour.

I think Gott recruited pretty well. Dennis Smith Jr wasn't a McD's AA because he got hurt his senior year in HS, but Tyler Lewis, Rodney Purvis, and Cat Barber were all McD's AA's. And he recruited TJ Warren. Gott was also close on Bam Adebayo. Read somewhere that his average class was ranked in the top 25 over his tenure. NC State can get its fair share of top 25 to top 100 talent.

Something else to consider--the next coach has a chance to be there when K and Roy retire. Look at how UNC handled their last coaching hire prior to Roy Williams. Anyone else remember Matt Doherty? He was a disaster. And Jeff Capel struggled while K was out this year. There's an opportunity for success in the near future.
Gregs Kite - Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:24 pm: I don't know, my Wolfpack can be sneaky good in these games

JichaelDick - Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:47 am: Fulsh, you truly are the best North Carolinian ever. Sorry, Andy Griffith.
CourtesyFlush
Friend of Friends

Postby CourtesyFlush » 09 Mar 2017, 08:51

Dickface Jim Boeheim gets SONNED by the city of Greensboro

Fuck this dickhead with a rusted basketball hoop.

CourtesyFlush
Friend of Friends

Postby mister bacon » 09 Mar 2017, 08:55

CourtesyFlush wrote:Dickface Jim Boeheim gets SONNED by the city of Greensboro

Fuck this dickhead with a rusted basketball hoop.

str8 savage omg :what: :shock: 8)
2006 SOTSG ESPN March Madness Tourney Challenge Champion
2010 SOTSG NFL Pick 'Em Champion

TheWolf wrote: Being a douche is a very expensive hobby.

ctz31 - Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:30 pm: I'm gonna win a chip w romo. I'm done w blacks. No offense
mister bacon
Black on Both Sides

Postby TheWolf » 09 Mar 2017, 09:26

That's a great reply from Greensobro. But Boeheim's right, especially with this:

They all say it’s a business. Well, then, let’s start acting like it’s a business.

The whole fucking point of the thing is to make money, whether people want to openly admit that or not. Put the tournament in a big market, and you'll make more money. Sorry if that hurts your feelings, Greensboro. Whatever that is.
"our kayaking guy sucked and came last"
- SGSW
TheWolf
Hand-Holder

Postby JichaelDick » 09 Mar 2017, 09:28

By that logic, you should move the SEC Football Championship Game to Yankee Stadium. The ACC Tourney doesn't belong in NYC any more than the Pac-12 does.
TVF wannabe - Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:42 pm: ...a good rule of thumb is if you post some thing like that and IMS quickly jumps in with an uncomfortable reference you went too far
JichaelDick
Delightful Nutjob

Postby CourtesyFlush » 09 Mar 2017, 09:35

TheWolf wrote:That's a great reply from Greensobro. But Boeheim's right, especially with this:

They all say it’s a business. Well, then, let’s start acting like it’s a business.

The whole fucking point of the thing is to make money, whether people want to openly admit that or not. Put the tournament in a big market, and you'll make more money. Sorry if that hurts your feelings, Greensboro. Whatever that is.

I know it's a business decision--why else do you think the B1G tournament is in DC this week? (hint--there's a member school in College Park, MD)

I thought the Duke Basketball Report had a good retort to Boeheim yesterday.

Ah, Jim, do you think that maybe the tournament is often in Greensboro (26 times in the league’s first 63 years) because it’s centrally located in the middle of the ACC footprint? Maybe because it’s a great arena with a staff that knows how to put on the ACC’s showcase event? Maybe because it’s an easily accessible (and reasonably priced) location for fans who aren’t wealthy?

Maybe because it’s a location in the heart of ACC country, where the world stops and everything revolves around the ACC Tournament?

That’s not the case in Brooklyn. Walk two blocks from the Barclays Center and you’d never know the ACC Tournament is going on.

Nobody outside of Cuse alums cares about the ACC Tournament in NYC. It's a novel idea and a concession to Cuse being in the conference. Keep it in Greensboro or Charlotte with occasional forays to Atlanta/DC, and even less occasional stops (once every 10 years) in NYC/Boston/Tampa/Miami. Seems easy enough.

CourtesyFlush
Friend of Friends

Postby TheWolf » 09 Mar 2017, 09:46

My statement was more a general "tournaments will probably make more money in bigger markets" statement. I have no issue with the argument that NYC doesn't make sense for the ACC Tourney based on geography. So I guess Boeheim's not actually right since he's talking about NY specifically. I'm sure the ACC tourney does just fine in Greensboro, but having absolutely zero knowledge of the actual numbers, I'd expect it to do better in Atlanta or DC or Charlotte. Then again, if you give a shit about the ACC tourney you're watching it no matter where it's played. I probably don't have a point.
"our kayaking guy sucked and came last"
- SGSW
TheWolf
Hand-Holder

Postby CourtesyFlush » 09 Mar 2017, 09:54

TheWolf wrote:My statement was more a general "tournaments will probably make more money in bigger markets" statement. I have no issue with the argument that NYC doesn't make sense for the ACC Tourney based on geography. So I guess Boeheim's not actually right since he's talking about NY specifically. I'm sure the ACC tourney does just fine in Greensboro, but having absolutely zero knowledge of the actual numbers, I'd expect it to do better in Atlanta or DC or Charlotte. Then again, if you give a shit about the ACC tourney you're watching it no matter where it's played. I probably don't have a point.

You made the point with the bolded part. And that's the flaw with Boeheim's rant. Folks from the ACC's old footprint (the Carolinas, Georgia, and Virginia) keep the tournament going strong. It certainly helps to have the Tobacco Road teams do well.

CourtesyFlush
Friend of Friends

Postby Theny » 09 Mar 2017, 09:55

TheWolf wrote:My statement was more a general "tournaments will probably make more money in bigger markets" statement. I have no issue with the argument that NYC doesn't make sense for the ACC Tourney based on geography. So I guess Boeheim's not actually right since he's talking about NY specifically. I'm sure the ACC tourney does just fine in Greensboro, but having absolutely zero knowledge of the actual numbers, I'd expect it to do better in Atlanta or DC or Charlotte. Then again, if you give a shit about the ACC tourney you're watching it no matter where it's played. I probably don't have a point.

It should be in Charlotte/NYC/DC/Atlanta/Miami. Just rotate those 5 cities. NYC is on the Atlantic coast after all!
Theny
Anchor Baby Daddy

Postby CourtesyFlush » 09 Mar 2017, 10:05

Theny wrote:

It should be in Charlotte/NYC/DC/Atlanta/Miami. Just rotate those 5 cities. NYC is on the Atlantic coast after all!

Fun fact: the Greensboro Coliseum is larger than all of the possible basketball arenas you listed. The conference's headquarters are there. It's never leaving Greensboro (unless HB2 isn't repealed).

CourtesyFlush
Friend of Friends

Postby MisterTambourineMan » 09 Mar 2017, 12:50

Theny wrote:

NYC can't have the ACC and Big East, and the Big East has to be in NYC.
TheWolf - Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:02 pm: BREAKING: wolfette did not come home to blow me
Briandong79 - Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:02 pm: 31, you're up.
MisterTambourineMan
Now

Postby CourtesyFlush » 09 Mar 2017, 13:47

MisterTambourineMan wrote:
Theny wrote:

NYC can't have the ACC and Big East, and the Big East has to be in NYC.

NYC will have THREE tournaments next year!

CourtesyFlush
Friend of Friends

PreviousNext

Return to College Sports