More than just Dook and UNC...ACC Basketball

More than just Dook and UNC...ACC Basketball

Postby CourtesyFlush » 07 Dec 2008, 19:18

Since there's already an ACC football thread it seems only right for the best basketball conference in the country to have it's own thread as well. With that being said, right now it looks as if North Carolina is head and shoulders above every other team in the conference. With Dook losing to Michigan this past weekend, Wake looks poised to make a move toward the top third of the conference this season with improvements from Teague, Johnson, and Ish Smith. Clemson is looking to replace the vastly underrated Cliff Hammonds and James Mays from a team which pushed North Carolina in two fantastic regular season matchups a year ago and the conference championship game. With KC Rivers and Trevor Booker, I can see them possibly challenging Dook for a top-4 spot. After that, who knows what to expect from the next tier of teams: Miami, Maryland, and Va Tech. Possible sleepers from the bottom of the conference look like NC State, FSU, UVa, BC, and Ga Tech. One of these five have a player or two each who can go off on any given night and spring an upset on the Wake/Clemson/Dook group.
Gregs Kite - Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:24 pm: I don't know, my Wolfpack can be sneaky good in these games

JichaelDick - Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:47 am: Fulsh, you truly are the best North Carolinian ever. Sorry, Andy Griffith.
User avatar
CourtesyFlush
Friend of Friends
 
Posts: 13490
Joined: 28 Oct 2007, 01:11
Location: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Re: More than just Dook and UNC...ACC Basketball

Postby someguysomewhere » 07 Dec 2008, 19:20

CourtesyFlush wrote:Since there's already an ACC football thread it seems only right for the best basketball conference in the country to have it's own thread as well. With that being said, right now it looks as if North Carolina is head and shoulders above every other team in the conference. With Dook losing to Michigan this past weekend, Wake looks poised to make a move toward the top third of the conference this season with improvements from Teague, Johnson, and Ish Smith. Clemson is looking to replace the vastly underrated Cliff Hammonds and James Mays from a team which pushed North Carolina in two fantastic regular season matchups a year ago and the conference championship game. With KC Rivers and Trevor Booker, I can see them possibly challenging Dook for a top-4 spot. After that, who knows what to expect from the next tier of teams: Miami, Maryland, and Va Tech. Possible sleepers from the bottom of the conference look like the rest of the teams in the conference. One of these five have a player or two each who can go off on any given night and spring an upset on the Wake/Clemson/Dook group.


Fixed.
the very best of _:

Mar 15
if im cooking frozen pizza in the oven, how long should i preheat it. box says preheat to 375F but for how long?

Apr 25
the opportunity cost of knowing how to preheat an oven is pretty puny compared to anything else
User avatar
someguysomewhere
TRU Patriot
 
Posts: 10404
Joined: 19 May 2006, 12:04
Location: The foul line, looking terrified.

Re: More than just Dook and UNC...ACC Basketball

Postby God Shamgod » 07 Dec 2008, 20:28

Go Noles

Just beat UF for the 3rd straight year and 4 out of 5. This will look awesome on NIT resume.
ctz31 wrote:I hate hate hate the fact that I never had the opportunity to be an orgy guy.
User avatar
God Shamgod
1-900-SHAMGOD
 
Posts: 5484
Joined: 26 Sep 2005, 10:06
Location: rehab

Re: More than just Dook and UNC...ACC Basketball

Postby Dr. Acula » 02 Jan 2009, 23:02

As a Cav fan, I was shocked by the defeat of GT in Atlanta. My boys won't play any defense, still, but may pull off an upset or two on their way to a 5-11 campaign. Landesberg looks like a young Bryant Stith, and I mean that as a compliment. I concur with the UNC assessment, but I'd probably move Miami into that Duke/WF/Clemson realm. Don't sleep on BC this year, either.
"Manning had his own anal traits, plus the never-ending Brett Favre unretirement saga, to thank for that." - Peter Queen
User avatar
Dr. Acula
Poot
 
Posts: 73
Joined: 26 Jul 2007, 14:08
Location: Sacred Heart Hospital

Re: More than just Dook and UNC...ACC Basketball

Postby CourtesyFlush » 03 Jan 2009, 11:05

Dr. Acula wrote:As a Cav fan, I was shocked by the defeat of GT in Atlanta. My boys won't play any defense, still, but may pull off an upset or two on their way to a 5-11 campaign. Landesberg looks like a young Bryant Stith, and I mean that as a compliment. I concur with the UNC assessment, but I'd probably move Miami into that Duke/WF/Clemson realm. Don't sleep on BC this year, either.


BC is well-coached with the underrated Al Skinner on the bench. Their version of the flex gives teams fits, and with Tyrese Rice they have a game changer who can go for 40. The UVa win over GT surprised me as well...I honestly had the Cavs penciled at last this season given their early season struggles. GT might be the bottom feeder this year even though they've got more talent than other teams in conference.

Miami is an enigma...they have a good win over Kentucky earlier in the season, but the loss vs. tOSU (with McClinton getting the boot in the first half) might come back to haunt them come Selection Sunday, and losing by 19 at home to Clemson was surprising. Their matchup at BC on 1/10 will say a lot about where both of those teams are headed.

Big game for the Pack today at Florida...a win gives them at least one good non-conference W heading into the conference schedule. Without a quality OOC win it'll take at least 10 wins in conference (with at least 2 from the UNC/Dook/Wake/Clemson/Miami group) to get into the NCAA's.
Gregs Kite - Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:24 pm: I don't know, my Wolfpack can be sneaky good in these games

JichaelDick - Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:47 am: Fulsh, you truly are the best North Carolinian ever. Sorry, Andy Griffith.
User avatar
CourtesyFlush
Friend of Friends
 
Posts: 13490
Joined: 28 Oct 2007, 01:11
Location: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Re: More than just Dook and UNC...ACC Basketball

Postby CourtesyFlush » 08 Jan 2009, 10:19

Banner night for the ACC last night...BC loses to Hahvahd and Maryland loses to Morgan State. :what: #-o [-X :shock:

Well, at least the NCAA herd is getting thinned a little earlier this year...
Gregs Kite - Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:24 pm: I don't know, my Wolfpack can be sneaky good in these games

JichaelDick - Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:47 am: Fulsh, you truly are the best North Carolinian ever. Sorry, Andy Griffith.
User avatar
CourtesyFlush
Friend of Friends
 
Posts: 13490
Joined: 28 Oct 2007, 01:11
Location: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Re: More than just Dook and UNC...ACC Basketball

Postby kaskomm09 » 08 Jan 2009, 10:23

CourtesyFlush wrote:Banner night for the ACC last night...BC loses to Hahvahd and Maryland loses to Morgan State. :what: #-o [-X :shock:

Well, at least the NCAA herd is getting thinned a little earlier this year...


Sucks for the conference, but hilarious in the fact that BC won in Chapel Hill, then dropped one to Amaker. Awful. Puts the two UNC fans in my office in their place though.
2007 SOTSG College Pick'em Champion
User avatar
kaskomm09
Smartest Guy In The Room
 
Posts: 3534
Joined: 24 Jul 2005, 19:54
Location: Champion of the Sun

Re: More than just Dook and UNC...ACC Basketball

Postby CourtesyFlush » 08 Jan 2009, 10:25

kaskomm09 wrote:
CourtesyFlush wrote:Banner night for the ACC last night...BC loses to Hahvahd and Maryland loses to Morgan State. :what: #-o [-X :shock:

Well, at least the NCAA herd is getting thinned a little earlier this year...


Sucks for the conference, but hilarious in the fact that BC won in Chapel Hill, then dropped one to Amaker. Awful. Puts the two UNC fans in my office in their place though.


No doubt...invoking the transitive property of college basketball to UNC fans will be nice this season. :lol:
Gregs Kite - Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:24 pm: I don't know, my Wolfpack can be sneaky good in these games

JichaelDick - Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:47 am: Fulsh, you truly are the best North Carolinian ever. Sorry, Andy Griffith.
User avatar
CourtesyFlush
Friend of Friends
 
Posts: 13490
Joined: 28 Oct 2007, 01:11
Location: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Re: More than just Dook and UNC...ACC Basketball

Postby BostonSucksMyBalls » 08 Jan 2009, 10:55

My Top 3:

1. Harvard
2. Duke
3. Boston College

10: UNC
240: Villanova
PS: I will never like July 27th. It will always be the day Reggie died. I just hate this day. True Celtic fans know what I mean.

"i'm relatively confident her asshole" - Farva
User avatar
BostonSucksMyBalls
Work Creep
 
Posts: 29041
Joined: 26 Aug 2005, 09:59

Re: More than just Dook and UNC...ACC Basketball

Postby nova » 08 Jan 2009, 11:41

BostonSucksMyBalls wrote:My Top 3:

1. Harvard
2. Duke
3. Boston College

10: UNC
240: Villanova


301. Morgan State
329. Maryland

Suck it [(TM) /Boston)], Gary. Hope they rename the NIT the Boeheim-Williams Invitational.
Jew Jitsu: It's like you guys are incompatible with each other but have to make due cause you can't pull out.
User avatar
nova
Thrifty Negro
 
Posts: 25369
Joined: 04 Aug 2005, 16:04
Location: King's Tower | Los Angeles, CA

Re: More than just Dook and UNC...ACC Basketball

Postby CourtesyFlush » 08 Jan 2009, 12:08

nasty nova wrote:
BostonSucksMyBalls wrote:My Top 3:

1. Harvard
2. Duke
3. Boston College

10: UNC
240: Villanova


301. Morgan State
329. Maryland

Suck it [(TM) /Boston)], Gary. Hope they rename the NIT the Boeheim-Williams Invitational.


You know the Twerps will find a way to beat UNC and/or Dook this year and put themselves on the bubble, but losses like this and getting swept by fellow ACC bubble teams will doom them.
Gregs Kite - Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:24 pm: I don't know, my Wolfpack can be sneaky good in these games

JichaelDick - Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:47 am: Fulsh, you truly are the best North Carolinian ever. Sorry, Andy Griffith.
User avatar
CourtesyFlush
Friend of Friends
 
Posts: 13490
Joined: 28 Oct 2007, 01:11
Location: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Re: More than just Dook and UNC...ACC Basketball

Postby Dr. Acula » 10 Jan 2009, 00:25

I think the grace period for the National Championship has finally dissipated and the Sweathog will be given the boot in College Park at season's end. There was a decent article on espn.com (http://sports.espn.go.com/espnmag/story?id=3775073) that partly chronicled how Williams virtually never gets the "PG" Maryland recruits. Granted some of them are losers, but he should be procuring at least a few of them in order to compete. What does he want to be, Virginia?
"Manning had his own anal traits, plus the never-ending Brett Favre unretirement saga, to thank for that." - Peter Queen
User avatar
Dr. Acula
Poot
 
Posts: 73
Joined: 26 Jul 2007, 14:08
Location: Sacred Heart Hospital

Re: More than just Dook and UNC...ACC Basketball

Postby CourtesyFlush » 12 Jan 2009, 07:19

Glad to see Wake beat the Holes last night to put them at 0-2 in conference. If you haven't seen Jeff Teague play for the Deacs, you're missing a potential All-American...this guy can score and handle as well as Steph Curry (only he doesn't take 30 shots per game). Wake's win at BYU a couple weeks ago put them on the radar, and now a win over UNC puts them in the national picture.

As for Carolina, unless they can learn how to play defense between now and the end of March they will not win the national championship this year. It never fails that they'll resort to flinging hurried three-pointers when they're down by more than 5 points with less than 3 mins to go. It happened a couple years ago against Georgetown in the NCAAs, and it happened again last night. Ellington disappeared last night, and without Ginyard they don't play great perimeter D. And Lawson can take some pretty bad shots at the most inopportune time.
Gregs Kite - Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:24 pm: I don't know, my Wolfpack can be sneaky good in these games

JichaelDick - Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:47 am: Fulsh, you truly are the best North Carolinian ever. Sorry, Andy Griffith.
User avatar
CourtesyFlush
Friend of Friends
 
Posts: 13490
Joined: 28 Oct 2007, 01:11
Location: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Re: More than just Dook and UNC...ACC Basketball

Postby CourtesyFlush » 03 Feb 2009, 21:10

Maryland has an Asian dood??? Who knew????
Gregs Kite - Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:24 pm: I don't know, my Wolfpack can be sneaky good in these games

JichaelDick - Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:47 am: Fulsh, you truly are the best North Carolinian ever. Sorry, Andy Griffith.
User avatar
CourtesyFlush
Friend of Friends
 
Posts: 13490
Joined: 28 Oct 2007, 01:11
Location: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Re: More than just Dook and UNC...ACC Basketball

Postby Dr. Acula » 03 Feb 2009, 22:20

Maybe it's just that Ginyard's out and they don't look like an imposing defensive squad. It could be that their two losses are weighing heavily in my mind, as well. But I just don't see UNC taking home the title this year. Any team with multiple skilled bigs (WF, UConn) will give them trouble, and I just don't think they are cohesive enough to do it. Maybe it's just wishful thinking.
On another note, my Cavs are really struggling on both ends of the court. One thing I always thought about Leitao was that he would have them playing D, but that has obviously not been the case the past two years. What happened to Diane, a formerly deadly 3-point shooter and second/third option on offense? One bright side, I was watching a Fairfax High game on ESPN2 the other night and Renardo Sidney has allegedly included UVA on his list of final five teams for recruitment. I find that to be stunning! Can Virginia actually get a Top-10 recruit? (Of course not, but it'd sure be nice.)
"Manning had his own anal traits, plus the never-ending Brett Favre unretirement saga, to thank for that." - Peter Queen
User avatar
Dr. Acula
Poot
 
Posts: 73
Joined: 26 Jul 2007, 14:08
Location: Sacred Heart Hospital

Next

Return to College Sports

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest