Team Speed? What's That? (B1G Football)

Re: Team Speed? What's That? (B1G Football)

Postby CourtesyFlush » 06 Apr 2016, 12:07

mj3528 wrote:
CourtesyFlush wrote:
BostonSucksMyBalls wrote:
mj3528 wrote:My sources indicate that the big 10 will announce expansion to 18 teams shortly. Supposedly Oklahoma and Texas are close to being on board. The conference wants Florida state and Georgia tech as well.


Thats pretty good. But why stop there. Expand to 128 teams. Call it a day.

I like this plan. Leave NC State out of this nonsense though. Athletics isn't our fort.


Actually it is Texas and fsu that are most open to joining the big

Well that makes a lot of sense :^o
Gregs Kite - Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:24 pm: I don't know, my Wolfpack can be sneaky good in these games

JichaelDick - Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:47 am: Fulsh, you truly are the best North Carolinian ever. Sorry, Andy Griffith.
User avatar
CourtesyFlush
Friend of Friends
 
Posts: 14614
Joined: 28 Oct 2007, 01:11
Location: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Re: Team Speed? What's That? (B1G Football)

Postby Briandong79 » 06 Apr 2016, 12:10

I will believe it when I see it. Oklahoma wouldn't surprise me. The only reason they'd try to poach an ACC team is to either (a) have it be Notre Dame, or (2) weaken the ACC enough that they can get Notre Dame.

Texas would be leaving a lot of money on the table to essentially disband their own personal conference.
PhillyJim76 - Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:20 am: X?I wrote a disturbing clueless fan fiction story that got me in hot water in college
User avatar
Briandong79
Beep Boop
 
Posts: 31160
Joined: 28 Apr 2005, 13:35
Location: MoreCowbell's phone

Re: Team Speed? What's That? (B1G Football)

Postby chrisco » 06 Apr 2016, 12:12

Briandong79 wrote:I will believe it when I see it. Oklahoma wouldn't surprise me. The only reason they'd try to poach an ACC team is to either (a) have it be Notre Dame, or (2) weaken the ACC enough that they can get Notre Dame.

Texas would be leaving a lot of money on the table to essentially disband their own personal conference.

Notre Dame just announced they are leaving Hockey East and joining the B1G Honky Conf.

I am sure this will have a huge influence on what their revenue generating football program does. :|
BostonSucksMyBalls - Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:03 am: I listen bc ive listened for about 25 years. I need to see this stupid thing thru.
User avatar
chrisco
Madoff
 
Posts: 12246
Joined: 15 Mar 2007, 17:31

Re: Team Speed? What's That? (B1G Football)

Postby CourtesyFlush » 06 Apr 2016, 12:13

Briandong79 wrote:I will believe it when I see it. Oklahoma wouldn't surprise me. The only reason they'd try to poach an ACC team is to either (a) have it be Notre Dame, or (2) weaken the ACC enough that they can get Notre Dame.

Texas would be leaving a lot of money on the table to essentially disband their own personal conference.

OU, Iowa State, ND (full membership), and GT. Who says no?
Gregs Kite - Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:24 pm: I don't know, my Wolfpack can be sneaky good in these games

JichaelDick - Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:47 am: Fulsh, you truly are the best North Carolinian ever. Sorry, Andy Griffith.
User avatar
CourtesyFlush
Friend of Friends
 
Posts: 14614
Joined: 28 Oct 2007, 01:11
Location: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Re: Team Speed? What's That? (B1G Football)

Postby Briandong79 » 06 Apr 2016, 12:13

chrisco wrote:
Briandong79 wrote:I will believe it when I see it. Oklahoma wouldn't surprise me. The only reason they'd try to poach an ACC team is to either (a) have it be Notre Dame, or (2) weaken the ACC enough that they can get Notre Dame.

Texas would be leaving a lot of money on the table to essentially disband their own personal conference.

Notre Dame just announced they are leaving Hockey East and joining the B1G Honky Conf.

I am sure this will have a huge influence on what their revenue generating football program does. :|


It does potentially give the B1G some time to make themselves look good. The ND ACC deal lasts for quite a bit longer though.
PhillyJim76 - Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:20 am: X?I wrote a disturbing clueless fan fiction story that got me in hot water in college
User avatar
Briandong79
Beep Boop
 
Posts: 31160
Joined: 28 Apr 2005, 13:35
Location: MoreCowbell's phone

Re: Team Speed? What's That? (B1G Football)

Postby Briandong79 » 03 Aug 2016, 10:40

@BenAxelrod
Bovada 2016 over/under win totals (including postseason):
Michigan 10.5
Nebraska 9.5
Ohio State 9
Iowa 8.5
Michigan State 8
Penn State 8


.....Do they know something about Nebraska that I don't?
PhillyJim76 - Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:20 am: X?I wrote a disturbing clueless fan fiction story that got me in hot water in college
User avatar
Briandong79
Beep Boop
 
Posts: 31160
Joined: 28 Apr 2005, 13:35
Location: MoreCowbell's phone

Re: Team Speed? What's That? (B1G Football)

Postby SouthernYokel » 03 Aug 2016, 13:40

Briandong79 wrote:
@BenAxelrod
Bovada 2016 over/under win totals (including postseason):
Michigan 10.5
Nebraska 9.5
Ohio State 9
Iowa 8.5
Michigan State 8
Penn State 8


.....Do they know something about Nebraska that I don't?


does nebraska have the schedule that iowa had last year?
JT99 wrote:imagine working your entire board life on being a guy investigating every nook and cranny of others' sexual lives only to have some drunken baboon stumble into the r&t jackpot
User avatar
SouthernYokel
Hank the Hangover Turtle
 
Posts: 29840
Joined: 08 Sep 2005, 08:09

Re: Team Speed? What's That? (B1G Football)

Postby JichaelDick » 03 Aug 2016, 13:44

Ole Miss was at 9.5 on the o/u, and I would implore folks to go under...
TVF wannabe - Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:42 pm: ...a good rule of thumb is if you post some thing like that and IMS quickly jumps in with an uncomfortable reference you went too far
User avatar
JichaelDick
Delightful Nutjob
 
Posts: 26108
Joined: 21 Dec 2005, 13:56
Location: Salivating

Re: Team Speed? What's That? (B1G Football)

Postby Briandong79 » 03 Aug 2016, 13:46

SouthernYokel wrote:
Briandong79 wrote:
@BenAxelrod
Bovada 2016 over/under win totals (including postseason):
Michigan 10.5
Nebraska 9.5
Ohio State 9
Iowa 8.5
Michigan State 8
Penn State 8


.....Do they know something about Nebraska that I don't?


does nebraska have the schedule that iowa had last year?


No, they play Oregon, at Ohio State, at Wisconsin, at Iowa. That right there would make me very, very doubtful of them getting to 10 wins, even with postseason.
PhillyJim76 - Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:20 am: X?I wrote a disturbing clueless fan fiction story that got me in hot water in college
User avatar
Briandong79
Beep Boop
 
Posts: 31160
Joined: 28 Apr 2005, 13:35
Location: MoreCowbell's phone

Re: Team Speed? What's That? (B1G Football)

Postby SouthernYokel » 03 Aug 2016, 13:50

Briandong79 wrote:
SouthernYokel wrote:
Briandong79 wrote:
@BenAxelrod
Bovada 2016 over/under win totals (including postseason):
Michigan 10.5
Nebraska 9.5
Ohio State 9
Iowa 8.5
Michigan State 8
Penn State 8


.....Do they know something about Nebraska that I don't?


does nebraska have the schedule that iowa had last year?


No, they play Oregon, at Ohio State, at Wisconsin, at Iowa. That right there would make me very, very doubtful of them getting to 10 wins, even with postseason.


maybe nebraska people always bet the over when the preseason odds come out and that's enough to edge the line over the smart money.
JT99 wrote:imagine working your entire board life on being a guy investigating every nook and cranny of others' sexual lives only to have some drunken baboon stumble into the r&t jackpot
User avatar
SouthernYokel
Hank the Hangover Turtle
 
Posts: 29840
Joined: 08 Sep 2005, 08:09

Re: Team Speed? What's That? (B1G Football)

Postby mj3528 » 03 Aug 2016, 14:19

SouthernYokel wrote:
Briandong79 wrote:
SouthernYokel wrote:
Briandong79 wrote:
@BenAxelrod
Bovada 2016 over/under win totals (including postseason):
Michigan 10.5
Nebraska 9.5
Ohio State 9
Iowa 8.5
Michigan State 8
Penn State 8


.....Do they know something about Nebraska that I don't?


does nebraska have the schedule that iowa had last year?


No, they play Oregon, at Ohio State, at Wisconsin, at Iowa. That right there would make me very, very doubtful of them getting to 10 wins, even with postseason.


maybe nebraska people always bet the over when the preseason odds come out and that's enough to edge the line over the smart money.


that is probably true. I was in a Vegas sports book for the defacto Nebraska-Tenn. national championship game. Tons of farmers in jeans and overalls betting big on Nebraska. I think they were betting their federal farm subsidy checks.
2009 NFL Pick 'em Champion
SOTSG Fantasy Basketball (Almost Entirely) 2012 Champion
2015 SOTSG NFL Survivor Champion, Part 2
2015 SOTSG Death Pool Co-Champion
2017 SOTSG Fantasy Basketball Champion
User avatar
mj3528
#QM
 
Posts: 9325
Joined: 05 Mar 2008, 18:41

Re: Team Speed? What's That? (B1G Football)

Postby JichaelDick » 03 Aug 2016, 14:23

mj3528 wrote:
SouthernYokel wrote:
Briandong79 wrote:
SouthernYokel wrote:
Briandong79 wrote:
@BenAxelrod
Bovada 2016 over/under win totals (including postseason):
Michigan 10.5
Nebraska 9.5
Ohio State 9
Iowa 8.5
Michigan State 8
Penn State 8


.....Do they know something about Nebraska that I don't?


does nebraska have the schedule that iowa had last year?


No, they play Oregon, at Ohio State, at Wisconsin, at Iowa. That right there would make me very, very doubtful of them getting to 10 wins, even with postseason.


maybe nebraska people always bet the over when the preseason odds come out and that's enough to edge the line over the smart money.


that is probably true. I was in a Vegas sports book for the defacto Nebraska-Tenn. national championship game. Tons of farmers in jeans and overalls betting big on Nebraska. I think they were betting their federal farm subsidy checks.


As long as they had Nebraska -24.5 or less, they were fine.
TVF wannabe - Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:42 pm: ...a good rule of thumb is if you post some thing like that and IMS quickly jumps in with an uncomfortable reference you went too far
User avatar
JichaelDick
Delightful Nutjob
 
Posts: 26108
Joined: 21 Dec 2005, 13:56
Location: Salivating

Re: Team Speed? What's That? (B1G Football)

Postby mj3528 » 03 Aug 2016, 14:25

JichaelDick wrote:
mj3528 wrote:
SouthernYokel wrote:
Briandong79 wrote:
SouthernYokel wrote:
Briandong79 wrote:
@BenAxelrod
Bovada 2016 over/under win totals (including postseason):
Michigan 10.5
Nebraska 9.5
Ohio State 9
Iowa 8.5
Michigan State 8
Penn State 8


.....Do they know something about Nebraska that I don't?


does nebraska have the schedule that iowa had last year?


No, they play Oregon, at Ohio State, at Wisconsin, at Iowa. That right there would make me very, very doubtful of them getting to 10 wins, even with postseason.


maybe nebraska people always bet the over when the preseason odds come out and that's enough to edge the line over the smart money.


that is probably true. I was in a Vegas sports book for the defacto Nebraska-Tenn. national championship game. Tons of farmers in jeans and overalls betting big on Nebraska. I think they were betting their federal farm subsidy checks.


As long as they had Nebraska -24.5 or less, they were fine.


Oh, they all won. Game bets, first half bets, second half bets. They would go around showing everyone their winning tickets.

There was a group of 6 of us and we all bet on Nebraska except for one guy. All these farmers made fun of him repeatedly.
2009 NFL Pick 'em Champion
SOTSG Fantasy Basketball (Almost Entirely) 2012 Champion
2015 SOTSG NFL Survivor Champion, Part 2
2015 SOTSG Death Pool Co-Champion
2017 SOTSG Fantasy Basketball Champion
User avatar
mj3528
#QM
 
Posts: 9325
Joined: 05 Mar 2008, 18:41

Re: Team Speed? What's That? (B1G Football)

Postby Briandong79 » 04 Aug 2016, 14:14

B1G coaches gossip about the other teams in the conference:

http://athlonsports.com/college-footbal ... -foes-2016
PhillyJim76 - Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:20 am: X?I wrote a disturbing clueless fan fiction story that got me in hot water in college
User avatar
Briandong79
Beep Boop
 
Posts: 31160
Joined: 28 Apr 2005, 13:35
Location: MoreCowbell's phone

Re: Team Speed? What's That? (B1G Football)

Postby Briandong79 » 10 Aug 2016, 12:10

It's time for the patented Dong Season Preview for your 2016 B1G Football Season!



Big Picture Stuff

Image

--The East is much better than the West
--I don't think there is a playoff team from the B1G this year.
--The East has 2 distinct tiers (with one team stuck in purgatory). The West is a clusterfuck from top to bottom except Purdue. Sorry Purdue.
--OPOY is JT Barrett, DPOY is Jabril Peppers.

East Division
1. Ohio State--They still have JT Barrett with a guaranteed starting spot and that's enough to put them above Michigan to me. I know they have basically no returning starters otherwise but they're still going to be loaded.
2. Michigan --QB still is the question mark. Harbaugh will eventually get them in line, he turned Jake Rudock into a top line starter, but they're going to be vulnerablie-ish early.
3. Michigan State--Their defense is going to be loaded as always. Their offense is going to struggle a lot. Not a ton of talent left over there.
4. Penn State--Possibly the most guaranteed spot of finish in the whole league. They're clearly nowhere near as good as the top 3 teams and nowhere near as bad as the bottom 3. This is probably Franklin's last year. Saquon Barkley is absolute stud.
5. Maryland--I like the Durkin hire. I think they're going to put together some recruiting classes. This team might legit be the worst talent wise outside of New Jersey, though. This is the clear line between contender and suck.
6. Indiana--These guys have been loaded at RB but they lost Jordan Howard. I think their QB is gone. Kevin WIlson is actually an offense guy which makes him fairly unique in the Big Ten but otherwise this team kind of blows.
7. Rutgers--Sure glad we locked down the vaunted NYC market, Big Ten. I think Chris Ash could potentially be good, though they really should just suck it up and bring back Schiano. Ray Rice isn't walking through that door dragging an unconscious woman.

West Division
1. Wisconsin--They're going to bounce back somehow this year. Easily the most purely talented team in the West. Clement if healthy is a stud. Losing Joel Stave might be addition by subtraction, though their QB situation is very cloudy and shitty. But so is most of the West.
2. Nebraska--Their over/under is reported at 10 wins. They lost a lot of very close games last year. They are not that good. They still have Tommy Armstrong at QB, who is taking over the Christian Hackenberg Memorial Position of "QB that everyone is convinced will FINALLY have that breakout year" but never, ever will.
3. Iowa--12-0 regular season. A great conference championship battle with Michigan State. I think they must have missed their bowl game somehow, I don't remember it. In any case, they've got as sure of a thing at QB as anyone in the Big Ten in CJ Beathard, and a relatively deep and talented RB corps. George Kittle is the next great Iowa TE, wouldn't surprise me at all if he leads the teams in yards and TDs this year. The defense is strong up the middle and in the secondary. Jaleel Johnson is a stud DT, Josey Jewell is going to have a real shot at all B1G this year, Desmond King is as good as it gets at CB and the rest of the secondary starters are really good. So what's the issue, you may be asking. Well I'll tell you! The WRs are pretty basic, in the great Iowa tradition. The OL is overrated as hell, especially in pass protection and if they get CJB killed, then the season is going to be a slog. 2 most important weaknesses however: They have basically zero pass rushers. That never bodes well for Iowa because they don't have a pressuring defense and if they can't generate a rush with the line, it's not going to matter who is in the secondary because you can only cover people for so long. Fortunately for them, that is limited by the fact that nobody in the west has a good QB. The other issue is that Iowa has a bit of a justified reputation for just making games a slog and then winning close games. Special teams is a must in that type of game. As it stands right now, Iowa is replacing both their starting kicker and punter from last year and right now it does not look promising at all. They could lose some games this year that were bailed out by their special teams last year.
4. Minnesota--I like Mitch Leidner for some reason, but he's just pretty mediocre. Shannon Brooks is really, really good, might be the next great Minnesota RB.
5. Northwestern--Their uniforms are purple, Pat Fitzgerald can still suck a cock, and they'll be running some weird quirky offense that will give a few better teams fits. Otherwise, they're just not that talented.
6. Illinois --Lovie Smith! That's fun. I like Wes Lunt a lot, might be the 2nd best QB out West (damning with faint praise). I think they might surprise a bit.
7. Purdue--How in the hell did their head coach keep his job?
PhillyJim76 - Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:20 am: X?I wrote a disturbing clueless fan fiction story that got me in hot water in college
User avatar
Briandong79
Beep Boop
 
Posts: 31160
Joined: 28 Apr 2005, 13:35
Location: MoreCowbell's phone

PreviousNext

Return to College Sports

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest