Team Speed? What's That? (B1G Football)

Re: Team Speed? What's That? (B1G Football)

Postby Rodney Farva » 10 Oct 2016, 11:19

i've never tried ruth's chris. thought about it but never gave it a whirl. :beatsme: another great post.
You coin contrarian bro and say shit nonsense like this.
Rodney Farva
Your real father

Postby CourtesyFlush » 14 Nov 2016, 12:05

Someone explain to me how Iowa can get throttled by Penn State last week and rise up to beat previously dominant Michigan the following week.
Gregs Kite - Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:24 pm: I don't know, my Wolfpack can be sneaky good in these games

JichaelDick - Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:47 am: Fulsh, you truly are the best North Carolinian ever. Sorry, Andy Griffith.
CourtesyFlush
Friend of Friends

Postby Briandong79 » 14 Nov 2016, 13:10

CourtesyFlush wrote:Someone explain to me how Iowa can get throttled by Penn State last week and rise up to beat previously dominant Michigan the following week.

Because it's Iowa. Just when you think you know the answers, they change the questions.

I just don't think Michigan's offensive talent is that good. Their QB is below average, and their running attack is pretty straight ahead. They don't have anyone with the abilities of Saquon Barkley except Peppers and you only have to gameplan for a couple things for him. That, plus the defense showing up big time made the difference. The QBR's of the 2 QBs were 10.5 and 6.7.

It took until week 10 for Iowa to realize that their ultra talented shifty RB might be able to do some damage if you throw it to him in space. 115 yards rushing, 52 yards receiving.
PhillyJim76 - Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:20 am: X?I wrote a disturbing clueless fan fiction story that got me in hot water in college
Briandong79
Beep Boop

Postby mj3528 » 14 Nov 2016, 13:13

Briandong79 wrote:
CourtesyFlush wrote:Someone explain to me how Iowa can get throttled by Penn State last week and rise up to beat previously dominant Michigan the following week.

Because it's Iowa. Just when you think you know the answers, they change the questions.

I just don't think Michigan's offensive talent is that good. Their QB is below average, and their running attack is pretty straight ahead. They don't have anyone with the abilities of Saquon Barkley except Peppers and you only have to gameplan for a couple things for him. That, plus the defense showing up big time made the difference. The QBR's of the 2 QBs were 10.5 and 6.7.

It took until week 10 for Iowa to realize that their ultra talented shifty RB might be able to do some damage if you throw it to him in space. 115 yards rushing, 52 yards receiving.

Also, I don't know if Iowa did something Michigan did not expect, but the Iowa D-Line made the Michigan O-line look very bad. They punished Speight the starting qb for Michigan.
2009 NFL Pick 'em Champion
SOTSG Fantasy Basketball (Almost Entirely) 2012 Champion
2015 SOTSG NFL Survivor Champion, Part 2
2015 SOTSG Death Pool Co-Champion
2017 SOTSG Fantasy Basketball Champion
mj3528
Never Forgotten

Postby Briandong79 » 14 Nov 2016, 13:33

mj3528 wrote:
Briandong79 wrote:

Also, I don't know if Iowa did something Michigan did not expect, but the Iowa D-Line made the Michigan O-line look very bad. They punished Speight the starting qb for Michigan.

Jaleel Johnson, who easily has the talent to be all B1G first team, had his best game as a Hawk, and that just caved the o-line in places. Michigan's guard was completely over matched and they didn't do much to help him. Not a good game for Harbaugh.

Also, roughing the center!
PhillyJim76 - Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:20 am: X?I wrote a disturbing clueless fan fiction story that got me in hot water in college
Briandong79
Beep Boop

Postby Briandong79 » 14 Nov 2016, 13:44

Wilton Speight is out for the year, broken collarbone.
Briandong79
Beep Boop

Postby JichaelDick » 28 Nov 2016, 09:24

Briandong79 wrote:Wilton Speight is out for the year, broken collarbone.

Welp.

Speight looked good at times, but his fuckups were huge--directly led to 14 Ohio State points and took at least 3 from his own team. Michigan should have had that game well in hand by the 4th quarter.

I also think Barrett got the 1st down.
TVF wannabe - Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:42 pm: ...a good rule of thumb is if you post some thing like that and IMS quickly jumps in with an uncomfortable reference you went too far
JichaelDick
Delightful Nutjob

Postby Briandong79 » 28 Nov 2016, 09:25

JichaelDick wrote:

Welp.

Speight looked good for much of the game, but his fuckups were huge. Michigan should have had that game well in hand by the 4th quarter.

Yeah, that was weird, but he threw like he still had a broken collar bone.
Briandong79
Beep Boop

Postby JichaelDick » 28 Nov 2016, 09:28

Briandong79 wrote:
JichaelDick wrote:

Welp.

Speight looked good for much of the game, but his fuckups were huge. Michigan should have had that game well in hand by the 4th quarter.

I reworded it, because it's hard to say he was good for most of the game when his fuckup were 100% the reason the game was in OT in the first place. I do think tOSU is, along with Clemson, one of the two teams that can give Alabama a game.
TVF wannabe - Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:42 pm: ...a good rule of thumb is if you post some thing like that and IMS quickly jumps in with an uncomfortable reference you went too far
JichaelDick
Delightful Nutjob

Postby mj3528 » 28 Nov 2016, 09:47

JichaelDick wrote:
Briandong79 wrote:
JichaelDick wrote:

Welp.

I reworded it, because it's hard to say he was good for most of the game when his fuckup were 100% the reason the game was in OT in the first place. I do think tOSU is, along with Clemson, one of the two teams that can give Alabama a game.

Did you watch the offensive line of Ohio State at all jike? Unless they figure something out, if they play the Alabama D is going to rape the right tackle at midfield. That would be emasculating. Barrett can't throw either, which is a bit of an issue.
mj3528
Never Forgotten

Postby JichaelDick » 28 Nov 2016, 10:10

OSU's D is good enough to give Jalen Hurts fits and Barrett is mobile enough to keep plays alive. I'd pick Alabama, but I think it'd be close. MIchigan would get eaten alive, IMO.
JichaelDick
Delightful Nutjob

Postby Briandong79 » 28 Nov 2016, 11:22

Briandong79 wrote:
--The East is much better than the West Correct!!!
--I don't think there is a playoff team from the B1G this year. Incorrect! Good chance they get 2!
--The East has 2 distinct tiers (with one team stuck in purgatory). The West is a clusterfuck from top to bottom except Purdue. Sorry Purdue. Pretty correct though Illinois was still bad!
--OPOY is JT Barrett, DPOY is Jabril Peppers. 50/50! Probably going to be Saquon.

East Division
1. Ohio State--They still have JT Barrett with a guaranteed starting spot and that's enough to put them above Michigan to me. I know they have basically no returning starters otherwise but they're still going to be loaded.
2. Michigan --QB still is the question mark. Harbaugh will eventually get them in line, he turned Jake Rudock into a top line starter, but they're going to be vulnerablie-ish early.
3. Michigan State--Their defense is going to be loaded as always. Their offense is going to struggle a lot. Not a ton of talent left over there.
4. Penn State--Possibly the most guaranteed spot of finish in the whole league. They're clearly nowhere near as good as the top 3 teams and nowhere near as bad as the bottom 3. This is probably Franklin's last year. Saquon Barkley is absolute stud.
5. Maryland--I like the Durkin hire. I think they're going to put together some recruiting classes. This team might legit be the worst talent wise outside of New Jersey, though. This is the clear line between contender and suck.
6. Indiana--These guys have been loaded at RB but they lost Jordan Howard. I think their QB is gone. Kevin WIlson is actually an offense guy which makes him fairly unique in the Big Ten but otherwise this team kind of blows.
7. Rutgers--Sure glad we locked down the vaunted NYC market, Big Ten. I think Chris Ash could potentially be good, though they really should just suck it up and bring back Schiano. Ray Rice isn't walking through that door dragging an unconscious woman.

Actual finish
Penn State--who knew??
Ohio State
Michigan
Indiana
Maryland
Michigan State--Jesus Christ!
Rutgers

West Division
1. Wisconsin--They're going to bounce back somehow this year. Easily the most purely talented team in the West. Clement if healthy is a stud. Losing Joel Stave might be addition by subtraction, though their QB situation is very cloudy and shitty. But so is most of the West.
2. Nebraska--Their over/under is reported at 10 wins. They lost a lot of very close games last year. They are not that good. They still have Tommy Armstrong at QB, who is taking over the Christian Hackenberg Memorial Position of "QB that everyone is convinced will FINALLY have that breakout year" but never, ever will.
3. Iowa--12-0 regular season. A great conference championship battle with Michigan State. I think they must have missed their bowl game somehow, I don't remember it. In any case, they've got as sure of a thing at QB as anyone in the Big Ten in CJ Beathard, and a relatively deep and talented RB corps. George Kittle is the next great Iowa TE, wouldn't surprise me at all if he leads the teams in yards and TDs this year. The defense is strong up the middle and in the secondary. Jaleel Johnson is a stud DT, Josey Jewell is going to have a real shot at all B1G this year, Desmond King is as good as it gets at CB and the rest of the secondary starters are really good. So what's the issue, you may be asking. Well I'll tell you! The WRs are pretty basic, in the great Iowa tradition. The OL is overrated as hell, especially in pass protection and if they get CJB killed, then the season is going to be a slog. 2 most important weaknesses however: They have basically zero pass rushers. That never bodes well for Iowa because they don't have a pressuring defense and if they can't generate a rush with the line, it's not going to matter who is in the secondary because you can only cover people for so long. Fortunately for them, that is limited by the fact that nobody in the west has a good QB. The other issue is that Iowa has a bit of a justified reputation for just making games a slog and then winning close games. Special teams is a must in that type of game. As it stands right now, Iowa is replacing both their starting kicker and punter from last year and right now it does not look promising at all. They could lose some games this year that were bailed out by their special teams last year.
4. Minnesota--I like Mitch Leidner for some reason, but he's just pretty mediocre. Shannon Brooks is really, really good, might be the next great Minnesota RB.
5. Northwestern--Their uniforms are purple, Pat Fitzgerald can still suck a cock, and they'll be running some weird quirky offense that will give a few better teams fits. Otherwise, they're just not that talented.
6. Illinois --Lovie Smith! That's fun. I like Wes Lunt a lot, might be the 2nd best QB out West (damning with faint praise). I think they might surprise a bit.
7. Purdue--How in the hell did their head coach keep his job?

Actual finish
1. Wisconsin
2. Iowa
3. Nebraska
4. Minnesota
5. Northwestern
6. Illinois
7. Purdue

Not overall atrocious except for the obvious MSU/PSU miss.
Briandong79
Beep Boop

Postby Rodney Farva » 06 Jan 2017, 13:44

so PJ Fleck was teh hotness in coaching and stuff and he goes to Minnesota? huh.
You coin contrarian bro and say shit nonsense like this.
Rodney Farva
Your real father

Postby mj3528 » 06 Jan 2017, 13:47

Rodney Farva wrote:so PJ Fleck was teh hotness in coaching and stuff and he goes to Minnesota? huh.

Young and a mac coach. Once upon a time urban had to from bowling green to mountain west Utah
mj3528
Never Forgotten

Postby JichaelDick » 06 Jan 2017, 13:51

Rodney Farva wrote:so PJ Fleck was teh hotness in coaching and stuff and he goes to Minnesota? huh.

Probably a good fit. Midwestern guy, underrated recruiting area, B1G West means if you can do as well as you did at WMU, you can play for a B1G title, and can use as a stepping stone to bigger things (and of not, he can be teh hotness back in the Group of 5). I think it works well.
JichaelDick
Delightful Nutjob

PreviousNext

Return to College Sports