Team Speed? What's That? (B1G Football)

Re: Team Speed? What's That? (B1G Football)

Postby JichaelDick » 15 Nov 2017, 11:14

Briandong79 wrote:Ohio State is a 41 point favorite against Illinois this Saturday. It's apparently the highest point spread on record for a B1G game.

41-point spread? Where have I seen that before?

TVF wannabe - Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:42 pm: ...a good rule of thumb is if you post some thing like that and IMS quickly jumps in with an uncomfortable reference you went too far
JichaelDick
Delightful Nutjob

Postby Briandong79 » 27 Nov 2017, 13:41

Briandong79 wrote:Alright, I know you have all been waiting, I think I finally have a grasp on the conference (watching some BTN, reading Phil Steele, listening to the Solid Verbal conference preview), here are my thoughts on the B1G this year.

Overall thoughts:
Should be a pretty competitive conference! Pretty much a clusterfuck at the top of the East between at least 2 teams and probably 3, and while I think 1 West team is clearly better, there's actually some talent there.
I don't see a real boner-fide Heisman candidate coming out of the B1G except Barkley. I think the OSU offense will be a bit too balanced, too many RBs for Weber to really put up dominant numbers.
Biggest darkhorses in their respective divisions are the Spartans and Wildcats.

East:
1. Ohio State-- They're going to reload wherever they have holes, experienced QB which is in short supply. Plus they are just more reliably talented than my #2 pick.
2. Penn State--This team has the best RB and arguably the best QB in the conference, they were really inexperienced when they went on their run last year, so it stands to reason that they'll actually improve this year, but I think there's going to be a drop off. I still don't think Franklin is a particularly good coach.
3. Michigan--As much as Harbaugh was known for working with QBs, they've still got kind of a shit supply. Tyrone Wheatley's kid is probably going to get a lot of run at TE for them if you want to feel old.
4. Michigan State--I think they climb back up. I know they sucked last year but they still have one of the best coaches in the B1G, and the rest of the team is too talented compared to some of the other craptastic teams in this division.
5. Maryland--No reason, I think there's going to be a team that people are saying is a borderline bowl team that is going to be worse than expected, and for me, that team is next on the list.
6. Indiana--Supposedly their defense is going to be good but I think there was just a bit too much turmoil here. I think they'll struggle.
7. Rutgers--By 2019, it might actually be tough to pencil in the 7th place team in the East. We aren't there yet.

ACTUAL
1. tOSU
2. PSU
3. MSU
4. MIchigan
5. Rutgers
6. Indiana
7. Maryland[

Overall, not too shabby, Rutgers made strides a bit quicker than expected. Nailed the darkhorses.

West.
1. Wisconsin--SO much better than the rest of the west, and their schedule gets significantly easier this year. I would not actually be surprised if Wisconsin was the Rose Bowl team this year.
2. Northwestern--I really like this team, Justin Jackson is a stud, to me they're the only realistic threat to Wisconsin.
3. Iowa--Replacing Beathard is going to be rough. By all accounts Nathan Stanley has got a cannon of an arm but not a lot of touch. He'll be serviceable. They've finally shitcanned Greg Davis and replaced him with Brian Ferentz, who I think might be related to their head coach. He was with Belichick and the Patriots for awhile, and given the awful shortage at WR that this team has, I think they'll get tricky with the TEs. Loaded at RB, Akrum Wadley is the most exciting player you probably haven't seen play in the B1G. They got a grad transfer from Nevada. The OL solidified big time by the end of the season and return most of their studs. The DL could be really good. Historically, that's the difference between a good Iowa defense and a bad one. They're not going to get exotic with blitzes so they have to generate their rush from the front 4. Remember the name AJ Epenesa. Got it? Will be the B1G defensive newcomer of the year. He's not the usual Iowa DL prospect, he's an absolute beast coming in as a true freshman. The LBs should be really good, Josey Jewell is a future pro. The secondary is going to probably struggle, so if the DL struggles, the defense will be rough. HOWEVER, there aren't many good QBs in the B1G to really make them pay either.
4. Minnesota--Row the boat? I guess. I honestly think they're a pretty nondescript team this year, but I have to put them somewhere, so right in the middle feels right.
5. Nebraska--Oooh boy do Nebraska fans think that Tanner Lee is going to be the greatest QB there since Tommie Frazier. He is almost certainly going to be better than Tommy Armstrong but I think they're lacking everywhere else.
6. Purdue--I think their head coach will be good!
7. Illinois--I don't think their head coach will be good.

ACTUAL
1. Wisconsin
2. Northwestern
3. Purdue
4. Iowa
5. Nebraska
6. Minnesota
7. Illinois

Nailed Nebraska, obviously swapped Purdue and Minny, otherwise not way off.

My god Nebraska had quit. Sounds like they got Scott Frost pretty well lined up. Funny to see Nebraska fans so gung ho about him. I remember back in the day the joke was "How is farming and Nebraska football the same? They both hate to see Frost on the field."

Looking forward to the chip game. I do not hate Wisconsin at all, I will be cheering for them.
PhillyJim76 - Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:20 am: X?I wrote a disturbing clueless fan fiction story that got me in hot water in college
Briandong79
Beep Boop

Postby mj3528 » 27 Nov 2017, 15:00

Briandong79 wrote:
Briandong79 wrote:Alright, I know you have all been waiting, I think I finally have a grasp on the conference (watching some BTN, reading Phil Steele, listening to the Solid Verbal conference preview), here are my thoughts on the B1G this year.

Overall thoughts:
Should be a pretty competitive conference! Pretty much a clusterfuck at the top of the East between at least 2 teams and probably 3, and while I think 1 West team is clearly better, there's actually some talent there.
I don't see a real boner-fide Heisman candidate coming out of the B1G except Barkley. I think the OSU offense will be a bit too balanced, too many RBs for Weber to really put up dominant numbers.
Biggest darkhorses in their respective divisions are the Spartans and Wildcats.

East:
1. Ohio State-- They're going to reload wherever they have holes, experienced QB which is in short supply. Plus they are just more reliably talented than my #2 pick.
2. Penn State--This team has the best RB and arguably the best QB in the conference, they were really inexperienced when they went on their run last year, so it stands to reason that they'll actually improve this year, but I think there's going to be a drop off. I still don't think Franklin is a particularly good coach.
3. Michigan--As much as Harbaugh was known for working with QBs, they've still got kind of a shit supply. Tyrone Wheatley's kid is probably going to get a lot of run at TE for them if you want to feel old.
4. Michigan State--I think they climb back up. I know they sucked last year but they still have one of the best coaches in the B1G, and the rest of the team is too talented compared to some of the other craptastic teams in this division.
5. Maryland--No reason, I think there's going to be a team that people are saying is a borderline bowl team that is going to be worse than expected, and for me, that team is next on the list.
6. Indiana--Supposedly their defense is going to be good but I think there was just a bit too much turmoil here. I think they'll struggle.
7. Rutgers--By 2019, it might actually be tough to pencil in the 7th place team in the East. We aren't there yet.

ACTUAL
1. tOSU
2. PSU
3. MSU
4. MIchigan
5. Rutgers
6. Indiana
7. Maryland[

Overall, not too shabby, Rutgers made strides a bit quicker than expected. Nailed the darkhorses.

West.
1. Wisconsin--SO much better than the rest of the west, and their schedule gets significantly easier this year. I would not actually be surprised if Wisconsin was the Rose Bowl team this year.
2. Northwestern--I really like this team, Justin Jackson is a stud, to me they're the only realistic threat to Wisconsin.
3. Iowa--Replacing Beathard is going to be rough. By all accounts Nathan Stanley has got a cannon of an arm but not a lot of touch. He'll be serviceable. They've finally shitcanned Greg Davis and replaced him with Brian Ferentz, who I think might be related to their head coach. He was with Belichick and the Patriots for awhile, and given the awful shortage at WR that this team has, I think they'll get tricky with the TEs. Loaded at RB, Akrum Wadley is the most exciting player you probably haven't seen play in the B1G. They got a grad transfer from Nevada. The OL solidified big time by the end of the season and return most of their studs. The DL could be really good. Historically, that's the difference between a good Iowa defense and a bad one. They're not going to get exotic with blitzes so they have to generate their rush from the front 4. Remember the name AJ Epenesa. Got it? Will be the B1G defensive newcomer of the year. He's not the usual Iowa DL prospect, he's an absolute beast coming in as a true freshman. The LBs should be really good, Josey Jewell is a future pro. The secondary is going to probably struggle, so if the DL struggles, the defense will be rough. HOWEVER, there aren't many good QBs in the B1G to really make them pay either.
4. Minnesota--Row the boat? I guess. I honestly think they're a pretty nondescript team this year, but I have to put them somewhere, so right in the middle feels right.
5. Nebraska--Oooh boy do Nebraska fans think that Tanner Lee is going to be the greatest QB there since Tommie Frazier. He is almost certainly going to be better than Tommy Armstrong but I think they're lacking everywhere else.
6. Purdue--I think their head coach will be good!
7. Illinois--I don't think their head coach will be good.

ACTUAL
1. Wisconsin
2. Northwestern
3. Purdue
4. Iowa
5. Nebraska
6. Minnesota
7. Illinois

Nailed Nebraska, obviously swapped Purdue and Minny, otherwise not way off.

My god Nebraska had quit. Sounds like they got Scott Frost pretty well lined up. Funny to see Nebraska fans so gung ho about him. I remember back in the day the joke was "How is farming and Nebraska football the same? They both hate to see Frost on the field."

Looking forward to the chip game. I do not hate Wisconsin at all, I will be cheering for them.

2009 NFL Pick 'em Champion
SOTSG Fantasy Basketball (Almost Entirely) 2012 Champion
2015 SOTSG NFL Survivor Champion, Part 2
2015 SOTSG Death Pool Co-Champion
2017 SOTSG Fantasy Basketball Champion
mj3528
#QM

Previous

Return to College Sports