Team Speed? What's That? (B1G Football)

Team Speed? What's That? (B1G Football)

Postby Briandong79 » 18 Jul 2008, 12:24

Since I started out last year's thread with such an impressive attempt at ranking the Big Ten, I'm going to give it another go this year:

1. Ohio State--No brainer. They'll lose to USC and then rattle off 11 straight. If they never played offense all year and just used the other team's strategy in the Waterboy, that defense could win them 6-7 games in the Big 10. They do have a tough game at Camp Randall though.

2. Penn State--I really like this team for some reason this year. I think they're more effective with an athletic QB. I always think Wisconsin is overrated, and since they're the consensus 2nd place team in the Big 10, I have to drop them at least one spot....

3. Wisconsin--...but no further. It's a down year in the Big 10, and these 3 are clearly head and shoulders above the rest. PJ Hill is still overrated (though he's gotten better since he's become slightly less fat).

4. Illinois--I still like this team, but they go at Penn State and Wisconsin, and that pretty much sits them with 3 losses. And, this feels like a team like Virginia Tech or Clemson that is going to lose at least one game each year they have no business losing (hello, Hawkeyes!).

5. Michigan--Clearly a down year, but they always have such good recruiting classes, I'd be shocked if some guys that people haven't really heard of don't step up and play big by the end of the year. They'll start off slow again, but will be a mid-level bowl team by the end.

6. Michigan State--For a 2nd straight year, this is the most anonymous team in the Big 10 to me.

7. Iowa--This is not a particularly good team on the offensive side of the ball. Christensen holds the ball too long, and takes too many sacks. They have virtually no proven RB, though I've always liked Shonn Greene. Their receivers would all make excellent #3 guys on a good team, but none of them are close to a #1. Moeaki is clearly their most dangerous receiving target, and I think will be the best TE in the Big 10 this year. The O-line will be better than last year. I think they'll be somewhat surprising on defense this year. I really like their two young DE's that are coming in, they've got some young talent at CB and LB, and their tackles are as good as anyone's. Feels like a 6-6 team again, and hopefully a huge coaching staff shake-up next offseason (learn to fucking blitz, Norm Parker!)

8-11. Purdue, Minnesota, Indiana, Northwestern in a race to win the coveted "who gives a shit" prize in the Big 10. Minnesota is the most dangerous of these teams to me, but they go to OSU, Wisconsin, and Illinois.
PhillyJim76 - Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:20 am: X?I wrote a disturbing clueless fan fiction story that got me in hot water in college
Briandong79
Beep Boop

Re: 2008 Big Ten Football Thread

Postby Brick Tamland » 18 Jul 2008, 12:56

The Big 10 needs to relegate the 11th-place team to the MAC or something, just to add some spice to what usually becomes a relatively boring conference race once the winter weather hits.

I'm kind of interested to see if Northwestern can start making strides in Fitzgerald's 3rd season. #-o

Michigan is going to eat a bowl of dicks in Rodriguez's first season \:D/ ... you can't run the spread option with Lloyd Carr's recruits.

Illinois is gonna be reeling after the loss of Walter Mendenhall. :lol:

Darkhorse (for a bowl bid, not the conference title): Indiana... they reinstated QB Kellen Lewis, that kid's fun to watch.
](*,)

2012 SOTSG Pro Football Pick'em Champeen
2007 SOTSG Pro Football Pick'em Champeen
Brick Tamland
The Bomb Dick

Postby BostonSucksMyBalls » 18 Jul 2008, 13:01

Big 10 is great. Plethora of 17-13 games, and Pam Ward!
PS: I will never like July 27th. It will always be the day Reggie died. I just hate this day. True Celtic fans know what I mean.

"i'm relatively confident her asshole" - Farva
BostonSucksMyBalls
Work Creep

Postby kaskomm09 » 18 Jul 2008, 13:03

Nice breakdown, BD. I agree that tOSU seems a league ahead of the pack, but they go to Madison and Champaign this fall, which isn't a picnic.

Problem for Illinois is the schedule. Outside of tOSU, we get some (relative) cupcakes at home in Minnesota, Indiana and Iowa. And we have to go @Penn State, @Wisconsin, @Michigan (I know people think they may suck this year, but they always take care of the Illini). I still think many people are vastly overrating the loss of [Rashard :wink: ] Mendenhall. I still really like our RB corps and it helps that we have a dual-threat QB and a solid O-line to take some pressure off them. I predict we lead the B10 in rushing once again.

Should be a good fall.
2007 SOTSG College Pick'em Champion
kaskomm09
Smartest Guy In The Room

Postby JichaelDick » 18 Jul 2008, 23:40

BostonSucksMyBalls wrote:Big 10 is great. Plethora of 17-13 games, and Pam Ward!

I agree with this post 100%.

It's Ohio State's to lose. If there is a just and loving God, somebody will upset them within the Big 11 (after the ass-raping at the Coliseum against USC) and keep them the fuck away from the SEC.
TVF wannabe - Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:42 pm: ...a good rule of thumb is if you post some thing like that and IMS quickly jumps in with an uncomfortable reference you went too far
JichaelDick
Delightful Nutjob

Postby nova » 19 Jul 2008, 11:15

BPID. The Big 10 also has the Zooker, Rich Rodriguez and Purdoo, who throws the ball 60+ times per game. Mix in Joe Paterno's lapses into the present day and using a dual-threat QB, and the Big 10 is as watchable as any non-SEC conference in America.
Jew Jitsu: It's like you guys are incompatible with each other but have to make due cause you can't pull out.
nova
Thrifty Negro

Postby JichaelDick » 20 Jul 2008, 00:41

The Big 11 is below the SEC, Pac-10, and, IMO, the Big XII in terms of watchability. Sure, there are the occasional classics (the '06 OSU-Michigan game, or the '05 PSU-Michigan game), but for the most part, there are 17-14 Northwestern-Iowa or Michigan State-Indiana games for my own tastes.
TVF wannabe - Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:42 pm: ...a good rule of thumb is if you post some thing like that and IMS quickly jumps in with an uncomfortable reference you went too far
JichaelDick
Delightful Nutjob

Postby SouthernYokel » 21 Jul 2008, 11:14

at this point in the year, i am excited for WAC and MEAC football. The big 10 is looking awesome to me. When tOSU gets to the championship in January and they're playing another sec school, then i'll make fun of the conference...but right now i'm just excited to be within 50 days of the yearly nirvana.
JT99 wrote:imagine working your entire board life on being a guy investigating every nook and cranny of others' sexual lives only to have some drunken baboon stumble into the r&t jackpot
SouthernYokel
Hank the Hangover Turtle

Postby nova » 21 Jul 2008, 11:40

SouthernYokel wrote:at this point in the year, i am excited for WAC and MEAC football. The big 10 is looking awesome to me. When tOSU gets to the championship in January and they're playing another sec school, then i'll make fun of the conference...but right now i'm just excited to be within 50 days of the yearly nirvana.

The MEAC is a carnival with a football game in the middle of it. Nothing says autumn Saturdays like riveting halftime entertainment, large black women in loud colors, and Qadry Ismail :sniff:
Jew Jitsu: It's like you guys are incompatible with each other but have to make due cause you can't pull out.
nova
Thrifty Negro

Postby JichaelDick » 21 Jul 2008, 14:00

Fuck the MEAC. The SWAC is where it's at. Southern, Grambling, Prarie View A&M. :sniff:
JichaelDick
Delightful Nutjob

Postby mister bacon » 21 Jul 2008, 14:08

JichaelDick wrote:Fuck the MEAC. The SWAC is where it's at. Southern, Grambling, Prarie View A&M. :sniff:

seriously, get the fuck out of here with that MEAC bullshit.
2006 SOTSG ESPN March Madness Tourney Challenge Champion
2010 SOTSG NFL Pick 'Em Champion

TheWolf wrote: Being a douche is a very expensive hobby.

ctz31 - Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:30 pm: I'm gonna win a chip w romo. I'm done w blacks. No offense
mister bacon
Black on Both Sides

Postby the cheese » 21 Jul 2008, 17:03

Not good times in Hawkeye land.

Nowhere to be found on ESPN.com. I'm guessing that after the bags o'dicks they got handed after the Katie Hnida/Duke Lacrosse imbroglios, the WWL is showing some discretion before leading a witch hunt. That being said, it sounds like the U of I atheletic department done fucked up good.

Also, nobody gives a fuck about Iowa. No offense BD.
Last edited by the cheese on 21 Jul 2008, 17:23, edited 1 time in total.
Clayton Bigsby - Wed May 23, 2012 2:55 pm: i'd rather live with a guy who's kind of annoying but a nice guy than a guy who's kind of annoying and a dick
the cheese
The Douche

Postby Dr Jeckyll » 21 Jul 2008, 17:21

kaskomm09 wrote:I still think many people are vastly overrating the loss of [Rashard :wink: ] Mendenhall. I still really like our RB corps and it helps that we have a dual-threat QB and a solid O-line to take some pressure off them. I predict we lead the B10 in rushing once again.

Should be a good fall.

i'll agree with this. illinois really isn't losing all that much from last year. the running attack might be slightly worse but i think the passing game is going to improve. the team might be just as good as last year but the record will probably be worse just because of the schedule. future's looking bright though, the talent is getting better every year with zook's recruiting.
Gregs Kite - Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:55 pm: I hate DJ and his stupid face and hes so stupid and I want to punch him
Dr Jeckyll
The Bomb Dick

Postby Private Zod » 21 Jul 2008, 20:52

Briandean79 wrote:Since I started out last year's thread with such an impressive attempt at ranking the Big Ten, I'm going to give it another go this year:

1. Ohio State--No brainer. They'll lose to USC and then rattle off 11 straight. If they never played offense all year and just used the other team's strategy in the Waterboy, that defense could win them 6-7 games in the Big 10. They do have a tough game at Camp Randall though.

2. Penn State--I really like this team for some reason this year. I think they're more effective with an athletic QB. I always think Wisconsin is overrated, and since they're the consensus 2nd place team in the Big 10, I have to drop them at least one spot....

3. Wisconsin--...but no further. It's a down year in the Big 10, and these 3 are clearly head and shoulders above the rest. PJ Hill is still overrated (though he's gotten better since he's become slightly less fat).

4. Illinois--I still like this team, but they go at Penn State and Wisconsin, and that pretty much sits them with 3 losses. And, this feels like a team like Virginia Tech or Clemson that is going to lose at least one game each year they have no business losing (hello, Hawkeyes!).

5. Michigan--Clearly a down year, but they always have such good recruiting classes, I'd be shocked if some guys that people haven't really heard of don't step up and play big by the end of the year. They'll start off slow again, but will be a mid-level bowl team by the end.

6. Michigan State--For a 2nd straight year, this is the most anonymous team in the Big 10 to me.

7. Iowa--This is not a particularly good team on the offensive side of the ball. Christensen holds the ball too long, and takes too many sacks. They have virtually no proven RB, though I've always liked Shonn Greene. Their receivers would all make excellent #3 guys on a good team, but none of them are close to a #1. Moeaki is clearly their most dangerous receiving target, and I think will be the best TE in the Big 10 this year. The O-line will be better than last year. I think they'll be somewhat surprising on defense this year. I really like their two young DE's that are coming in, they've got some young talent at CB and LB, and their tackles are as good as anyone's. Feels like a 6-6 team again, and hopefully a huge coaching staff shake-up next offseason (learn to fucking blitz, Norm Parker!)

8-11. Purdue, Minnesota, Indiana, Northwestern in a race to win the coveted "who gives a shit" prize in the Big 10. Minnesota is the most dangerous of these teams to me, but they go to OSU, Wisconsin, and Illinois.

Think you are dead-on for the 1st 4. Michigan State may jump up to #5, since Michigan's offense will truly blow.
Private Zod
Pink Helmet

Postby SouthernYokel » 22 Jul 2008, 08:08

mister bacon wrote:
JichaelDick wrote:Fuck the MEAC. The SWAC is where it's at. Southern, Grambling, Prarie View A&M. :sniff:

seriously, get the fuck out of here with that MEAC bullshit.

Go to hell. SCSU bulldogs represent.
JT99 wrote:imagine working your entire board life on being a guy investigating every nook and cranny of others' sexual lives only to have some drunken baboon stumble into the r&t jackpot
SouthernYokel
Hank the Hangover Turtle

Next

Return to College Sports