Random Thoughts - College edition

Random Thoughts - College edition

Postby D'Annunzio » 08 Feb 2008, 13:44

I think Raghib Ismail is the best college football player I've ever seen.

I think Christian Laettner is the best college basketball player I've ever seen.

I think Beaver Stadium is the best place to watch a college football game.

I haven't been to many, so I probably can't say what the best place to watch a college hoops game is. But just from watching games on TV and seeing the atmosphere of different places, I would have to say Cameron Indoor is the best.

College football takes a lot of heat for the BCS system, but its regular season if far, far better than college basketball's.

College football is the only sport that crowns its champion based on how good it was from start to finish, and not just based on how good it was playing at the end of the season. Many people hate it, but I think it's fine.
D'Annunzio

Postby MisterTambourineMan » 08 Feb 2008, 13:54

D'ip sure does have good thread ideas, give him that. Too bad he has to post in them.

Charlie Ward is the best college football player I've ever seen, followed in order by Tommie Frazier, Peter Warrick, and Antwan Randle-El.

Jason Williams was the best college basketball player I ever saw, sorry JD, followed by Glenn Robinson, Grant Hill, and Bobby Jackson :sniff:

Cameron Indoor looks like a place I'd slit my wrists in. Gimme Williams Arena, and I doubt anyone will agree, but meh, subjectivity. For football, gimme the Big House or Rocky Top. Or the Swamp. Or between the hedges...college football stadiums pwn college basketball stadiums.

d'ip wrote:College football is the only sport that crowns its champion based on how good it was from start to finish, and not just based on how good it was playing at the end of the season.

....Really? Do you really think you can defend that statement?
MisterTambourineMan
Now

Postby Briandong79 » 08 Feb 2008, 13:59

MisterTambourineMan wrote:Jason Williams was the best college basketball player I ever saw, sorry JD, followed by Glenn Robinson, Grant Hill, and Bobby Jackson :sniff:

Bobby Jackson didn't even deserve to be Big Ten MVP, Andre Woolridge was definitely the MVP that season! :twisted:

Best college FB player: Ward's a good choice, I'd actually put Vince Young up there, I have vague recollections of how good Barry Sanders was back in the day but those are so faint I don't think I could count them....
PhillyJim76 - Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:20 am: X?I wrote a disturbing clueless fan fiction story that got me in hot water in college
Briandong79
Beep Boop

Postby CourtesyFlush » 08 Feb 2008, 13:59

Laettner was one of the top three players in ACC history, but in my lifetime Ralph Sampson and Len Bias were better (at least from an ACC perspective). And Laettner wasn't even the best college player to enter the draft in '92...that honor would go to Shaquille O'Neal.
CourtesyFlush
Friend of Friends

Postby JichaelDick » 08 Feb 2008, 14:01

MisterTambourineMan wrote:D'ip sure does have good thread ideas, give him that. Too bad he has to post in them.

Jason Williams was the best college basketball player I ever saw, sorry JD, followed by Glenn Robinson, Grant Hill, and Bobby Jackson :sniff:

You don't have to apologize for liking Jay Williams. He was one helluva free-throw shooter when it counted, I'll give him that. Having said that, the best college basketball player I ever got to see was the Big Dog, followed closely by Corliss Williamson, and Ed O'Bannon.

MTM wrote:Cameron Indoor looks like a place I'd slit my wrists in. Gimme Williams Arena, and I doubt anyone will agree, but meh, subjectivity. For football, gimme the Big House or Rocky Top. Or the Swamp. Or between the hedges...college football stadiums pwn college basketball stadiums.

Agreed. Having said that, I think I'd rather go to Breslin within the Big 11. SEC Arenas are kinda crappy, but I wouldn't mind seeing a game in Bud Walton or Rupp Arena.
TVF wannabe - Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:42 pm: ...a good rule of thumb is if you post some thing like that and IMS quickly jumps in with an uncomfortable reference you went too far
JichaelDick
Delightful Nutjob

Postby D'Annunzio » 08 Feb 2008, 14:03

d'ip wrote:College football is the only sport that crowns its champion based on how good it was from start to finish, and not just based on how good it was playing at the end of the season.

urineMan wrote:....Really? Do you really think you can defend that statement?

Sure thing, urineMan. I'll type this slow so you can follow.

In college football, you don't get to play for the national championship unless you've had a really good regular season, from start to finish. Let's take this past season as an example. If you listened to media, fans, or whoever wanted to spew nonsense about the national championship picture, you heard that Georgia and USC were playing the best football in the country at the end of the season. There was outrage that these teams didn't get to factor into the national championship picture. But you know what? They didn't have a good enough season from start to finish to get in the game.

See....not so hard to understand. Perhaps you should stick to things you know more about to argue about, such as pot, Bob Dylan, the flavor of Randy Moss's semen, and.......pot.
D'Annunzio

Postby JichaelDick » 08 Feb 2008, 14:05

LSU had as many losses as Georgia and USC, one being MUCH later than the other two. I'd argue that, start-to-finish, UGA and USC were as strong as LSU was (and Oklahoma was stronger)
TVF wannabe - Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:42 pm: ...a good rule of thumb is if you post some thing like that and IMS quickly jumps in with an uncomfortable reference you went too far
JichaelDick
Delightful Nutjob

Postby BostonSucksMyBalls » 08 Feb 2008, 14:10

Cool:

Best College Hoops player Ive seen: Glenn Robinson (puke).
Best College FB Player: Reggie Bush
Best CBB Arena: The Palestra.
Best CFB Stadium: Ive been to PSU, Clemson, Miami. I dunno, they were all alright. Places I want to get to: Tennesee, Florida, Auburn, Oklahomo, ND, USC, Wisconsin.
PS: I will never like July 27th. It will always be the day Reggie died. I just hate this day. True Celtic fans know what I mean.

"i'm relatively confident her asshole" - Farva
BostonSucksMyBalls
Work Creep

Postby Laettner Stomp » 08 Feb 2008, 14:10

CourtesyFlush wrote:Laettner was one of the top three players in ACC history, but in my lifetime Ralph Sampson and Len Bias were better (at least from an ACC perspective). And Laettner wasn't even the best college player to enter the draft in '92...that honor would go to Shaquille O'Neal.

I'm sorry, Laettner was a better COLLEGE player than Shaquille O' Neal.
Shaq never went to the sweet 16 and he played with Chris Jackson and Stanley Roberts so its not like he lacked talent around him. They played against each other and Laettner outplayed him. As many of you surely recall Laettner could actually make a jump shot. Laettner is the best college player I've seen. Although Glenn Robinson is close.
Laettner Stomp
n00b

Postby MisterTambourineMan » 08 Feb 2008, 14:11

JichaelDick wrote:
MisterTambourineMan wrote:D'ip sure does have good thread ideas, give him that. Too bad he has to post in them.

You don't have to apologize for liking Jay Williams. He was one helluva free-throw shooter when it counted, I'll give him that.

Niiiiiiice [/south park cops]

Briandean79 wrote:
MisterTambourineMan wrote:Jason Williams was the best college basketball player I ever saw, sorry JD, followed by Glenn Robinson, Grant Hill, and Bobby Jackson :sniff:

Bobby Jackson didn't even deserve to be Big Ten MVP, Andre Woolridge was definitely the MVP that season! :twisted:

Haha, yeah, that was almost the definition of "Who should be MVP: the Best player on the Best team, or the Most Important Player for One Team" debate. Woolridge was a great college player, I agree...now say Bobby put the fear of Zeus into you.

D'Annunzio wrote: bah

Hey, this fucking guy, this fucking wop guinnea motherfucker here, what a clever afterbirth, hey, am I right? hey, am I right? hey, heeeeeeeeeey
MisterTambourineMan
Now

Postby D'Annunzio » 08 Feb 2008, 14:16

JichaelDick wrote:LSU had as many losses as Georgia and USC, one being MUCH later than the other two. I'd argue that, start-to-finish, UGA and USC were as strong as LSU was (and Oklahoma was stronger)

Georgia got completely destroyed by Tennessee. USC lost to fucking Stanford. That's why they weren't in the national championship. And the fact that LSU lost late supports my argument. Although I'll grant you that late losses generally hurt more than early ones, which in theory they shouldn't.
D'Annunzio

Postby Colonel Angus » 08 Feb 2008, 14:17

JichaelDick wrote:LSU had as many losses as Georgia and USC, one being MUCH later than the other two. I'd argue that, start-to-finish, UGA and USC were as strong as LSU was (and Oklahoma was stronger)

Georgia was a fucking joke this season. People who argue that they got screwed by the BCS this year either a) are Georgia fans; or b) actually saw them play in only two games this year - the Florida game and the Sugar Bowl against an even bigger joke of a team than the Dawgs. The rest of us saw them lose to an absolutely hapless USC team and get humiliated in Knoxville. Southern Cal had a legitimate beef with the BCS, IMO, but the Dawgs should shut the fuck up and concentrate on beating .500 teams before they start bitching about what bowl they get to play in.
"Isn't it no, baas or something? That's how I read it in a boxing book. It's South African or something."
- _, on Roberto Duran.
_ - Sun Jan 31 5:06 pm:
"it was such a sexy goal, that punched me right in the balls. metaphorically"
Colonel Angus
Pun DMC

Postby JichaelDick » 08 Feb 2008, 14:18

Fair point on USC's loss to Stanford. Georgia's loss to Tennessee was bad enough, but I'da gone with the Carolina loss.

Having said all of that, this was an odd year, in the sense that no one team really separated themselves from the pack.

RE: Laettner v. O'Neal

Laettner had Mike Krzyzewski as his coach. Shaq had Dale Brown. Any questions?

ETA: Actually, Colonel, I saw a 3rd game with Georgia...a game where they dropped 45 on a darn good Auburn defense.
Last edited by JichaelDick on 08 Feb 2008, 14:19, edited 1 time in total.
JichaelDick
Delightful Nutjob

Postby Briandong79 » 08 Feb 2008, 14:19

MisterTambourineMan wrote:
Briandean79 wrote:

Haha, yeah, that was almost the definition of "Who should be MVP: the Best player on the Best team, or the Most Important Player for One Team" debate. Woolridge was a great college player, I agree...now say Bobby put the fear of Zeus into you.

He was very, very good. I hated when Iowa played the Gophers (though he was admittedly fun to watch if I was neutral about the game).

The best player I ever saw in person was Marcus Fizer.
PhillyJim76 - Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:20 am: X?I wrote a disturbing clueless fan fiction story that got me in hot water in college
Briandong79
Beep Boop

Postby D'Annunzio » 08 Feb 2008, 14:22

Laettner was a far better college player than Shaq. He was player of the year, was always in the Final Four, and schooled Shaq when they played against each other. The fact that Shaq was a better NBA prospect and then eventually a much better NBA player is immaterial. Bringing up their NBA potential and careers is a Bill Simmonian argument when you're talking college sports.

Tom Brady is a better NFL QB than Tommie Frazier, but would anyone actually argue that Brady was a better college QB?
D'Annunzio

Next

Return to College Sports