The Ancient Eight: Ivy League Sports

Re: The Ancient Eight: Ivy League Sports

Postby Rodney Farva » 17 Nov 2017, 18:04

You coin contrarian bro and say shit nonsense like this.
Rodney Farva
Your real father

Postby Rodney Farva » 18 Nov 2017, 23:33

Won 24-3, took sole possession of the Ivy title. Sorry I didn’t get to see it but it was a dominating win.
Rodney Farva
Your real father

Postby Iron Mike Sharpe » 19 Nov 2017, 00:09

I'm sure it was nearly as thrilling as an Alabama high school game.
Iron Mike Sharpe
Full of good cheer

Postby Rodney Farva » 28 Nov 2017, 17:45

Drove up to see Yale play hoops at Delaware. Team looks really good, lots of depth, active bigs, lot of unselfish team play and decent on D. 2 of the 3 best players were hurt just before the season started and are likely out for the year so not sure how we’ll do in the league.

For anyone in Philly area, I’d recommend going to see U of D if they play anyone who interests you (except Notre Dame, that game is sold out). Nice little arena, good sight lines. Concessions sells BBQ which for arena food was good, and ice cream from the U of D dairy.

There was a nasty old fucker sitting behind me who spent the whole game screaming at full volume at the home team players, coaches and the refs. Sometimes not even words, just mangled guttural roar. If anyone said anything or looked at him he’d try to start something. He knew as much about basketball as I do about ancient Sanskrit. At one point he said something particularly stupid and I shot him a look so he spent the next 3 minutes yelling at me. Good times.
Rodney Farva
Your real father

Postby Rodney Farva » 29 Nov 2017, 13:20

Yale-Harvard will be played at Fenway next year. Not sure if this is good or not. Never a fan of Harvard Stadium, but at least there's space for tailgating.
Rodney Farva
Your real father

Postby Frank the Tank » 04 Jan 2018, 12:36

2015 SOTSG Fantasy Football Champion

BostonSucksMyBalls 11/2/2016: "I hate the internet. No accountability. Just a wasteland of shitheads."
Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet

Postby Rodney Farva » 04 Jan 2018, 17:38

Frank the Tank wrote:Sorry for your loss, Farva.

thanks, Tank. he was one hell of a guy, had a huge impact on my life. i'll always be grateful for all he did for me.
Rodney Farva
Your real father

Postby TheWolf » 04 Jan 2018, 21:48

Rodney Farva wrote:

thanks, Tank. he was one hell of a guy, had a huge impact on my life. i'll always be grateful for all he did for me.

Did you actually know him? If so, do we know this story? No snark about you being a rich guy who knows famous (by ivy league sports standards) people or anything like that, I'm just genuinely curious based on that post.
"our kayaking guy sucked and came last"
- SGSW
TheWolf
Hand-Holder

Postby Rodney Farva » 04 Jan 2018, 22:25

TheWolf wrote:
Rodney Farva wrote:

Did you actually know him? If so, do we know this story? No snark about you being a rich guy who knows famous (by ivy league sports standards) people or anything like that, I'm just genuinely curious based on that post.

I thought this was known, but I was the manager of the football team in college. it involved working with the team and coaches at practices, travel and games, and also year round in the football office. i spent a lot of time with coach cozza, much more than the players did, and got to know him very well. i stayed in touch a bit after i graduated and he was always happy to give me a recommendation. i almost got a job once that i was woefully unqualified for because he spent an hour on the phone with the guy who was hiring, who was a connecticut guy. i don't know if you and the other guys from the state grew up feeling this as well, but some guys i knew in college who were from connecticut said that as they were growing up that the guy was a god in the state and they were awed that my student job got me so much time with him.
Rodney Farva
Your real father

Postby TheWolf » 04 Jan 2018, 23:00

Rodney Farva wrote:
TheWolf wrote:
Rodney Farva wrote:

I thought this was known, but I was the manager of the football team in college. it involved working with the team and coaches at practices, travel and games, and also year round in the football office. i spent a lot of time with coach cozza, much more than the players did, and got to know him very well. i stayed in touch a bit after i graduated and he was always happy to give me a recommendation. i almost got a job once that i was woefully unqualified for because he spent an hour on the phone with the guy who was hiring, who was a connecticut guy. i don't know if you and the other guys from the state grew up feeling this as well, but some guys i knew in college who were from connecticut said that as they were growing up that the guy was a god in the state and they were awed that my student job got me so much time with him.

It may have been known, but it was either unknown or forgotten by me. I literally never heard of him before today, and considering we are talking about college football in CT I have to question how godlike he would have been considered.

But in any case, I'm sorry for your loss. Sounds like he was a good dude and did a lot of good things for you.
"our kayaking guy sucked and came last"
- SGSW
TheWolf
Hand-Holder

Previous

Return to College Sports