The Ancient Eight: Ivy League Sports

Re: The Ancient Eight: Ivy League Sports

Postby JT99 » 24 Oct 2016, 12:47

mj3528 wrote:
Rodney Farva wrote:
Gregs Kite wrote:
Rodney Farva wrote:your tigers took the johnnys to OT, sorry they couldn't close the deal.

we had penn at home on Friday night. woke up early my Saturday morning to check the score, down 35-0 before the half with 4 TD throws for the penn QB. end up losing 42-7. can't wait for the weekly email from our coach, where i'll learn all about how we tied the second half. almost 9K showed up this time.

our guy better shitcan his defensive staff once the season ends or else he needs to be shown the door.


You think Tom Herman can turn this thing around?


we need better.

don't know if it's true or not, but the word is that when we were last hiring a coach it was going to be don brown. he was our D coordinator when i was there, had a run of some head jobs (kite state, northeastern, umass), then several stops as a D coordinator (maryland, uconn, bc). he said the money wasn't enough, the football booster group said they would make up the difference, done deal. the then-president of yale said no, no "special" deals, brown walked, and we got this guy, who had never been a coordinator anywhere. the whole thing made no sense because when i was there it was well known that the football boosters matched carm cozza's annual salary in order to save the school from having to pay the whole thing.

i'm glad we didn't hire brown because he was a colossal asshole and still is. even if he just moved to michigan this year and has them the number one defense in the country. yeah, i'm really glad. so, so glad. #-o


Serious question, and I am not trying to be snarky. You seem to have more than a modicum of interest, but do people really care about Yale athletics and specifically the football program?


Ever since the Red Sox were swept, people have been searching high and low for their sports fix.
BigJohnStudd wrote:The original Annie movie from the 80s has a lot of panty shots for a PG rated kids film.


BostonSucksMyBalls wrote:26 Jan 2017 10:53: need the D
User avatar
JT99
Between Bannings
 
Posts: 8722
Joined: 08 Apr 2012, 22:58
Location: Bluesville

Re: The Ancient Eight: Ivy League Sports

Postby Rodney Farva » 24 Oct 2016, 13:07

mj3528 wrote:
Rodney Farva wrote:
Gregs Kite wrote:
Rodney Farva wrote:your tigers took the johnnys to OT, sorry they couldn't close the deal.

we had penn at home on Friday night. woke up early my Saturday morning to check the score, down 35-0 before the half with 4 TD throws for the penn QB. end up losing 42-7. can't wait for the weekly email from our coach, where i'll learn all about how we tied the second half. almost 9K showed up this time.

our guy better shitcan his defensive staff once the season ends or else he needs to be shown the door.


You think Tom Herman can turn this thing around?


we need better.

don't know if it's true or not, but the word is that when we were last hiring a coach it was going to be don brown. he was our D coordinator when i was there, had a run of some head jobs (kite state, northeastern, umass), then several stops as a D coordinator (maryland, uconn, bc). he said the money wasn't enough, the football booster group said they would make up the difference, done deal. the then-president of yale said no, no "special" deals, brown walked, and we got this guy, who had never been a coordinator anywhere. the whole thing made no sense because when i was there it was well known that the football boosters matched carm cozza's annual salary in order to save the school from having to pay the whole thing.

i'm glad we didn't hire brown because he was a colossal asshole and still is. even if he just moved to michigan this year and has them the number one defense in the country. yeah, i'm really glad. so, so glad. #-o


Serious question, and I am not trying to be snarky. You seem to have more than a modicum of interest, but do people really care about Yale athletics and specifically the football program?


not as much as at big-time Div I schools by any means. like a lot of I-AA schools it's important only to those connected to the school. overall more so than a lot of the ivys but not more than a few like harvard and princeton. the students are usually front-runners, if a team does well (hockey and basketball recently) they'll support it. the connecticut people will know this better than i on a long-term basis, but football there used to reliably draw 20-25,000 and come close to selling out (then around 70,000) when we hosted harvard. we had a long stretch where we led I-AA in attendance every year.

the football program was a big deal in the state for a long time, probably through mid-80s, and i remember classmates who grew up in connecticut talking about coach cozza like he was some kind of an icon. they hosted navy in 1981 in an abc regional game. navy had almost upset michigan in the big house the week before, and had a pretty strong team which played a tough schedule. yale made a monster comeback in an exciting game to get the upset. super corny, but i watched that game (i was in 10th grade) and it made me think it would be a fun place to go. through the 70s they ran through the ivies with no problem, then hit a dip in the mid 80s when the school put less money in and de-emphasized athletics for a while. carm and his staff stuck around too long (he and his offensive coordinator and RB coach were coaching there when i was born) and it took us a while to catch up while the rest of the league zoomed past us.

the alums are usually very loyal and donate heavily to all the sports programs, particularly former athletes, and there has been a lot of upgrading of facilities and new ones built over the past 10-15 years, all funded by alumni donations. now hockey has become the big draw, and the annual games with quinnipiac (in the next town over, both teams have been national powers recently) are hyuge. there are a total of 33 varsity sports, so a surprising large part of the student body is comprised of varsity athletes.

i think the others in ct can confirm, though, that the football program no longer has much of a profile at all, with uconn trying to go big time and college football fans who have no real ties to the team/school able to stay home and watch almost any team they want. i dunno, maybe if we could beat harvard and contend more regularly for the league we might get a little more attention, but for now it's snoozeville.
You coin contrarian bro and say shit nonsense like this.
User avatar
Rodney Farva
Your real father
 
Posts: 24014
Joined: 15 Mar 2005, 22:17

Re: The Ancient Eight: Ivy League Sports

Postby bosux » 24 Oct 2016, 19:52

Rodney Farva wrote:your tigers took the johnnys to OT, sorry they couldn't close the deal.

we had penn at home on Friday night. woke up early my Saturday morning to check the score, down 35-0 before the half with 4 TD throws for the penn QB. end up losing 42-7. can't wait for the weekly email from our coach, where i'll learn all about how we tied the second half. almost 9K showed up this time.

our guy better shitcan his defensive staff once the season ends or else he needs to be shown the door.


was a helluva game...harvard's darn good, so i was glad they kept it close...was on espn3, so i got to watch it

you guys lose to columbia and it might be time to disband the program
by bosux » 02 Mar 2016, 13:34
if the democratic power machine is so tone deaf as to foist $hrillary upon the electorate they will lose to Trump...bet on it
User avatar
bosux
Dr. Poop
 
Posts: 16682
Joined: 08 Jun 2005, 10:31
Location: river ave garage, top deck

Re: The Ancient Eight: Ivy League Sports

Postby Rodney Farva » 04 Nov 2016, 04:55

You coin contrarian bro and say shit nonsense like this.
User avatar
Rodney Farva
Your real father
 
Posts: 24014
Joined: 15 Mar 2005, 22:17

Re: The Ancient Eight: Ivy League Sports

Postby Gregs Kite » 04 Nov 2016, 06:47



I thought Hahhvahhd kids were smaht? The fuck are they putting things down on paper for? ETA: Excuse me, on-line. Save your typing, Team NITPICK.

Also, this shit happened four years ago so we're going to kill the 2016 season. Okay.

Earlier this week, members of the women's team penned a letter in the Crimson criticizing the document, saying they were "appalled that female athletes who are told to feel empowered and proud of their abilities are so regularly reduced to a physical appearance." The letter also expressed hope that the report would "lead to productive conversation and action on Harvard's campus, within collegiate athletic teams across the country, and into the locker room that is our world."


"The locker room that is our world." What? So they're going to walk around with a towel on when they go to work? The whole fucking point of a locker room is isolation, otherwise we have boys and girls changing and showering together and OH NOES we can't have these evil white males looking at our tits. What a dumb fucking analogy.
You fuckers ruined kite.

Apr 22, 2015 3:49 pm Clayton Bigsby i enjoy sports

TheWolf - Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:26 pm: i'm ctz. i'm sober at 3:30 pm. dork

Frank the Tank wrote:If I die I leave my red font to Kite.
User avatar
Gregs Kite
Friend of Friends
 
Posts: 20608
Joined: 20 Jan 2007, 15:59
Location: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Re: The Ancient Eight: Ivy League Sports

Postby Rodney Farva » 04 Nov 2016, 07:15

Gregs Kite wrote:Also, this shit happened four years ago so we're going to kill the 2016 season.


I thought that too at first but apparently the rating thing started then but was kept active including through this season, and when it first came to light current players lied about it. Per the Boaton Globe story on it.
You coin contrarian bro and say shit nonsense like this.
User avatar
Rodney Farva
Your real father
 
Posts: 24014
Joined: 15 Mar 2005, 22:17

Re: The Ancient Eight: Ivy League Sports

Postby Iron Mike Sharpe » 04 Nov 2016, 07:21

All because of WTTLL?
User avatar
Iron Mike Sharpe
Full of good cheer
 
Posts: 17399
Joined: 11 May 2007, 13:07

Re: The Ancient Eight: Ivy League Sports

Postby bosux » 18 Nov 2016, 09:56

princeton is playing for a share of the title saturday...will i be attending? you bet your ascot!
by bosux » 02 Mar 2016, 13:34
if the democratic power machine is so tone deaf as to foist $hrillary upon the electorate they will lose to Trump...bet on it
User avatar
bosux
Dr. Poop
 
Posts: 16682
Joined: 08 Jun 2005, 10:31
Location: river ave garage, top deck

Re: The Ancient Eight: Ivy League Sports

Postby Rodney Farva » 18 Nov 2016, 13:08

good luck, hope your tigers do it.

also hope i have a new coach after we get carved up by harvard on saturday.
You coin contrarian bro and say shit nonsense like this.
User avatar
Rodney Farva
Your real father
 
Posts: 24014
Joined: 15 Mar 2005, 22:17

Re: The Ancient Eight: Ivy League Sports

Postby mj3528 » 18 Nov 2016, 16:27

Rodney Farva wrote:good luck, hope your tigers do it.

also hope i have a new coach after we get carved up by harvard on saturday.


At least you have a cute new mascot Farva:

Image

so stinkin' cute
2009 NFL Pick 'em Champion
SOTSG Fantasy Basketball (Almost Entirely) 2012 Champion
2015 SOTSG NFL Survivor Champion, Part 2
2015 SOTSG Death Pool Co-Champion
2017 SOTSG Fantasy Basketball Champion
User avatar
mj3528
Never Forgotten
 
Posts: 8173
Joined: 05 Mar 2008, 18:41

Re: The Ancient Eight: Ivy League Sports

Postby BostonSucksMyBalls » 19 Nov 2016, 18:24

Rodham did you get naked in the stands at this game haha.

http://deadspin.com/yale-students-get-n ... socialflow
PS: I will never like July 27th. It will always be the day Reggie died. I just hate this day. True Celtic fans know what I mean.

"i'm relatively confident her asshole" - Farva
User avatar
BostonSucksMyBalls
Work Creep
 
Posts: 28967
Joined: 26 Aug 2005, 09:59

Re: The Ancient Eight: Ivy League Sports

Postby Gregs Kite » 19 Nov 2016, 20:03

BostonSucksMyBalls wrote:Rodham did you get naked in the stands at this game haha.

http://deadspin.com/yale-students-get-n ... socialflow


Oh cool, a bunch of cock and ass and vag and stuff in front of a family friendly crowd.

Congratulations, idiots.
You fuckers ruined kite.

Apr 22, 2015 3:49 pm Clayton Bigsby i enjoy sports

TheWolf - Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:26 pm: i'm ctz. i'm sober at 3:30 pm. dork

Frank the Tank wrote:If I die I leave my red font to Kite.
User avatar
Gregs Kite
Friend of Friends
 
Posts: 20608
Joined: 20 Jan 2007, 15:59
Location: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Re: The Ancient Eight: Ivy League Sports

Postby God Shamgod » 19 Nov 2016, 20:47

Ha Rodham definitely hung dong

/all those kids get charged with title ix violations and get expelled
ctz31 wrote:I hate hate hate the fact that I never had the opportunity to be an orgy guy.
User avatar
God Shamgod
1-900-SHAMGOD
 
Posts: 5478
Joined: 26 Sep 2005, 10:06
Location: rehab

Re: The Ancient Eight: Ivy League Sports

Postby Rodney Farva » 20 Nov 2016, 01:17

since before i went there, at the end of the 3rd quarter the band plays The Stripper, and guys in Saybrook College (one of the residential colleges there, kind of like Hogwarts houses in a way) take off their clothes. they usually stop with their underoos on, this time it seems some of them got a little wacky and hung some dong.

glad for the kids on the team to get the win and finally beat those douchebags, but afraid this saves the job of our shitty coach.

congrats on the title, sux.
You coin contrarian bro and say shit nonsense like this.
User avatar
Rodney Farva
Your real father
 
Posts: 24014
Joined: 15 Mar 2005, 22:17

Re: The Ancient Eight: Ivy League Sports

Postby bosux » 21 Nov 2016, 12:05

Rodney Farva wrote:good luck, hope your tigers do it.

also hope i have a new coach after we get carved up by harvard on saturday.


great day for a game, good crowd...started slow on O and the dartmouth QB was carving them up in the 1st half, but made some adjustments and started steamrolling on offense

i don't know what kind of deal your elis made with the devil, but that was nice of yous

only conference loss was in OT to harvard...one play from their first undefeated ivy crown in like 50 years
by bosux » 02 Mar 2016, 13:34
if the democratic power machine is so tone deaf as to foist $hrillary upon the electorate they will lose to Trump...bet on it
User avatar
bosux
Dr. Poop
 
Posts: 16682
Joined: 08 Jun 2005, 10:31
Location: river ave garage, top deck

PreviousNext

Return to College Sports

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest