Illinois Sucks III: Fired Ron Zook!

Re: Illinois Sucks III: Fired Ron Zook!

Postby edogpgc » 03 Nov 2012, 17:40

New coach update:

Tim Beckman: Looks like we're headed back to the days when Vegas can't set the line high enough. This is easily the worst team in one of the worst Big Tens I can remember. TB had trouble assembling his staff, was left with pretty meh talent (particularly on offense) and depth, and has had to deal with lots of injuries, but we've still been way shittier than we should be. The games are pretty much unwatchable. Recruiting has gone fairly well, I guess, but there are rumors of staff discord and some of the better recruiters already looking to leave.

The fan reaction is fascinating to me. Zook got tons of patience, but people are down Beckman's throat pretty much immediately. He was successful at Toledo, and deserves patience and a chance to build a program. All that said, the dude comes off like a complete buffoon (Skoal on the sidelines, lol), and though on paper I don't think UI fball could have hired much better, by "feel," he really does nothing to inspire confidence. Look for blowouts galore at least the next 1.5 years, and an empty stadium.

John Groce: Groce has done a better job of winning over the fans. He has shown signs of being a great recruiter, though it hasn't shown up much in the results yet. He has built a very strong relationship with some key high schools and AAU squads. Personally, I am also happy that we are extending our reach outside of the state, and will no longer have to "give up" in years when the talent is down in-state. He almost reeled in a 2013 5* PG, which would have accelerated the move back to national relevance, but ultimately it looks like that'll have to wait an extra year or so.

Regarding play style, I am most excited to have a team that will attack the hoop and get to the line. I think it gives you a better chance to win on nights when your shots aren't falling. Also excited to move away from inefficient long deuces, and turning those into more 3pt attempts. Eventually, when we have the appropriate personnel, Groce would like to play very uptempo. He doesn't mind a bad shot here and there, and lets his guys play through mistakes and without as much second-guessing - I expect a much more confident bunch. His teams generally improve as the year goes on, which will hopefully also be a nice change.

Most media types who have spoken directly with Groce believe he will eventually be a star. Think it's a little early for that talk, and with how stacked the conference is with good coaches and programs, that'll be tough. The main concern I have is his conference record at Ohio (barely over .500 in 4 years), but with most of last year's Ohio team returning, that probably would have been much better a year later. Overall, though, I'm pretty optimistic about the long-term future of the program.

As for this year's squad, consensus seems to have them as the 8th or 9th best team. I think they surprise and sneak into the tourney.
edogpgc
Friend of Lohan

Postby mj3528 » 07 Jan 2013, 11:02

This year's version of Ohio State's basketball team is down from the past couple of years, but still that is an impressive win for the Illinois and Groce as their new coach.
2009 NFL Pick 'em Champion
SOTSG Fantasy Basketball (Almost Entirely) 2012 Champion
2015 SOTSG NFL Survivor Champion, Part 2
2015 SOTSG Death Pool Co-Champion
mj3528
Never Forgotten

Postby someguysomewhere » 07 Jan 2013, 11:44

mj3528 wrote:This year's version of Ohio State's basketball team is down from the past couple of years, but still that is an impressive win for the Illinois and Groce as their new coach.

Sure seems like he's proving all Weber's haters right. Team has gotten a lot better despite losing a guy that looks like he'll play in the NBA for ten years and not (I think) having many impact recruits.
the very best of _:

Mar 15
if im cooking frozen pizza in the oven, how long should i preheat it. box says preheat to 375F but for how long?

Apr 25
the opportunity cost of knowing how to preheat an oven is pretty puny compared to anything else
someguysomewhere
TRU Patriot

Postby kaskomm09 » 07 Jan 2013, 16:28

someguysomewhere wrote:
mj3528 wrote:This year's version of Ohio State's basketball team is down from the past couple of years, but still that is an impressive win for the Illinois and Groce as their new coach.

Sure seems like he's proving all Weber's haters right. Team has gotten a lot better despite losing a guy that looks like he'll play in the NBA for ten years and not (I think) having many impact recruits.

Yep, nobody in their 2012 HS recruiting class. They brought in a few transfers, one sits this year and one plays through the 5th year graduate loophole as a rotation guy but not a huge impact. Groce did well retaining and closing the 2013 HS recruiting class, even after being the bridesmaid on two low five-star/high four-star recruits while playing serious catch up. Hire looks like a home run so far, but we shall see.
2007 SOTSG College Pick'em Champion
kaskomm09
Smartest Guy In The Room

Postby Briandong79 » 13 Jan 2014, 13:16

...and now he lost to Northwestern.
PhillyJim76 - Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:20 am: X?I wrote a disturbing clueless fan fiction story that got me in hot water in college
Briandong79
Beep Boop

Postby kaskomm09 » 14 Jan 2014, 09:57

Briandong79 wrote:...and now he lost to Northwestern.

Sad fact: They've actually lost to Northwestern each of the past five years. This one was the worst though. The Cats are so goddamn awful. I wouldn't be surprised if they pull a 1-17.
2007 SOTSG College Pick'em Champion
kaskomm09
Smartest Guy In The Room

Postby CourtesyFlush » 07 Mar 2016, 09:14

Lovie Smith huh. Ok.
Gregs Kite - Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:24 pm: I don't know, my Wolfpack can be sneaky good in these games

JichaelDick - Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:47 am: Fulsh, you truly are the best North Carolinian ever. Sorry, Andy Griffith.
CourtesyFlush
Friend of Friends

Postby JT99 » 07 Mar 2016, 09:19

CourtesyFlush wrote:Lovie Smith huh. Ok.

Players found out via Twitter.

What a shitshow.
BigJohnStudd wrote:The original Annie movie from the 80s has a lot of panty shots for a PG rated kids film.

BostonSucksMyBalls wrote:26 Jan 2017 10:53: need the D
JT99
Between Bannings

Postby The Long Dick of the Law » 07 Mar 2016, 09:28

JT99 wrote:

What a shitshow.

*looks up* Huh, Illinois has a football team, how quaint *life resumes with zero change*
mister bacon love watching soccer. baseball is about as exciting as scratching my balls.
MisterTambourineMan you're not scratching your balls right, then.
The Long Dick of the Law
TRU Patriot

Postby chrisco » 07 Mar 2016, 09:37

The Long Dick of the Law wrote:
JT99 wrote:

What a shitshow.

*looks up* Huh, Illinois has a football team, how quaint *life resumes with zero change*

You could say that about all their sports. Basketball is good what every 10 years or so?

Now their computer science program, that's a powerhouse.
SY wrote:....but yeah if there's an awkward silence i am definitely filling it with nonsense.
chrisco
Madoff

Postby CourtesyFlush » 07 Mar 2016, 09:37

chrisco wrote:
JT99 wrote:

What a shitshow.

You could say that about all their sports. Basketball is good what every 10 years or so?

You guys are gonna make edog and kasko upset.
Gregs Kite - Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:24 pm: I don't know, my Wolfpack can be sneaky good in these games

JichaelDick - Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:47 am: Fulsh, you truly are the best North Carolinian ever. Sorry, Andy Griffith.
CourtesyFlush
Friend of Friends

Postby chrisco » 07 Mar 2016, 09:43

CourtesyFlush wrote:
chrisco wrote:
JT99 wrote:

What a shitshow.

You guys are gonna make edog and kasko upset.

I'll be sure to keep my head on a swivel when they make their annual Master weekend visit to the site.
SY wrote:....but yeah if there's an awkward silence i am definitely filling it with nonsense.
chrisco
Madoff

Postby jman » 08 Apr 2016, 12:04

if nothing else I give the new AD credit for making an aggressive hire right out of the gate and getting a name that your average high school recruit may actually know is involved with organized football. Especially in Chicago where Smith coached and IL currently gets 0% of the top recruits. Still probably won't work, but at least it shouldn't be the absolute clown show the last coach had going on.
jman
Another dude worth meeting

Postby CourtesyFlush » 21 Nov 2016, 11:50

Did Zook ever coach a game without the Illini ever kicking off? Of course not.

Here’s what happened: with gusting winds on Saturday afternoon, Kirk Ferentz instructed his players to select which end zone to play towards at the coin flip. Illinois won the coin toss, though, and deferred its choice to the second half (where the Illini would obviously receive). Iowa still opted to play towards the end zone with the wind—though, in a second blunder, got the wind for the first and third quarters, and not the crucial ends of each half. With that, Illinois was free to accept the opportunity to receive in the first half as well.

CourtesyFlush
Friend of Friends

Postby jman » 21 Nov 2016, 13:50

CourtesyFlush wrote:Did Zook ever coach a game without the Illini ever kicking off? Of course not.

Here’s what happened: with gusting winds on Saturday afternoon, Kirk Ferentz instructed his players to select which end zone to play towards at the coin flip. Illinois won the coin toss, though, and deferred its choice to the second half (where the Illini would obviously receive). Iowa still opted to play towards the end zone with the wind—though, in a second blunder, got the wind for the first and third quarters, and not the crucial ends of each half. With that, Illinois was free to accept the opportunity to receive in the first half as well.

it's for the better. They probably would have fucked that up too.
jman
Another dude worth meeting

Previous

Return to College Sports