Illinois Sucks III: Fired Ron Zook!

Illinois Sucks III: Fired Ron Zook!

Postby kaskomm09 » 26 Oct 2006, 09:40

Alright, due to the Illinois clogging in other threads, I'll start the Illinois thread. All things Zook and Weber here.

First topic... Dick McBride will sit 7 games (3 exhibitions plus first 4 regular games) for his DUI. Too strict? Too lenient? I figured it'd be closer to 10 games/through December and I think it's on the lenient side.
Last edited by kaskomm09 on 06 Mar 2009, 14:28, edited 1 time in total.
2007 SOTSG College Pick'em Champion
kaskomm09
Smartest Guy In The Room

Postby Dr Jeckyll » 26 Oct 2006, 09:53

great idea for a thread :P . i wonder if anyone will post in here besides me, you and edog. does anyone call Richard McBride "Dick"? i also thought it was a lenient punishment. this isn't the first time he's fucked up. my current attitude is i'm reasonably optimistic about the direction of the football program and kind of depressed about basketball.

ETA: this is interesting: http://blogs.suntimes.com/preps/2006/10/derrick_rose_will_visit_illino.html#more
Gregs Kite - Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:55 pm: I hate DJ and his stupid face and hes so stupid and I want to punch him
Dr Jeckyll
Never Forgotten

Postby edogpgc » 26 Oct 2006, 14:00

Untouchable wrote:great idea for a thread :P . i wonder if anyone will post in here besides me, you and edog. does anyone call Richard McBride "Dick"? i also thought it was a lenient punishment. this isn't the first time he's fucked up. my current attitude is i'm reasonably optimistic about the direction of the football program and kind of depressed about basketball.

ETA: this is interesting: http://blogs.suntimes.com/preps/2006/10/derrick_rose_will_visit_illino.html#more

Couldn't agree more, notouchy. Bruce gave the excuse "He needs to be around the team for his betterment, so we can help him out as a person, blahblahblah, he's on a short leash, blahablah" I think what this actually means is "We don't have tough games until Maryland and Arizona (games 8 and 9). I want him back for those games, but I don't want to make it look like I'm just suspending him until those games." I thought he should've been gone until Big Ten season at least, and maybe like 2 or 3 Big Ten games, but I guess the pressure to win is too much. I hate to be cynical, because I like Bruce, but this punishment seemed light.

I'm also with you on the football/basketball outlook. Just looks like the football program is definitely on the upswing with our improvement this year and improved recruiting, while the basketball program is on the downswing. A little discouraging, but we should remain pretty solid at worst.

Look for a preview post from me in here later today or tomorrow, :P .
edogpgc
Friend of Lohan

Postby edogpgc » 27 Oct 2006, 14:45

Ok, with the Orange and Blue Scrimmage tonight, I figure it's time for an 2006-2007 Illini basketball preview.

Last year's team featured senior leaders Dee Brown and James Augustine, who helped the Illini to the 2nd round of the NCAA tournament, only to lose to the referees. Oh, I mean, the Washington Huskies. Conventional wisdom says that the team should struggle this year.

I think the conventional wisom is wrong. I see this team as having a lot of Ewing Theory potential. To anyone who watched games last year, it was clear the Illini offense was usually stagnant and completely deferred to Dee Brown to create offense. Many of the players showed promise at times, most notably Shaun Pruitt and Jamar Smith, but none had the experience after the Illini's magical 2004-2005 run. I think the roles will be much more clearly defined this year. Jamar is going to be expected to increase the number of shots and points per game, while Pruitt will increase his scoring in the post, an area of his game which looked very strong to me last year. Chester Frazier doesn't have to score, but hopefully he can contribute by dishing the ball out and playing what looked to be very solid defense last year. Hopefully, Warren Carter can step up in his senior year, and provide leadership and scoring, while not hindering the team too much on defense. And, of course, we'll have the very important senior leadership of Rich McBride, :oops: .

Off the bench, expect Calvin Brock's minutes to increase, Dayton transfer Trent Meacham to spell Chester Frazier, and the most important addition, Brian Carlwell to all make significant contributions.

Carlwell has a 9'3" wingspan, is 6'11" and was athletic enough to play tight end for the football team in high school. Bruce Weber is already on record as saying he could be the best and most unique center to ever play for the Illini. I expect him to be a key to our dominance on the defensive end, which was probably our biggest strength last year. I hope he can have a similar impact to the Illini that Hibbert has for Georgetown (on the defensive end, that is- doesn't look like he'll be scoring that much early in his career).

With good enough talent on this team to partially make up for the loss of Dee and James, the coaching of Bruce Weber, and the weakness of the Big Ten due to graduations and early entries, I'm expecting...

12-3 non-conference record
10-6 conference record
22-9 overall record, and an 8th seed in the tournament.
edogpgc
Friend of Lohan

Postby kaskomm09 » 27 Oct 2006, 15:04

edogpgc wrote:12-3 non-conference record
10-6 conference record
22-9 overall record, and an 8th seed in the tournament.

I pretty much agree with you, edog.

To me, the #1 scorer and option is my biggest concern. I just don't feel we have that this year. As much as I drink (and have drank) the Brian Randle koolaid and think he has a shot at Big10 POY honors, his scoring concerns me.

That said, I'm not as high on Jamar Smith as everyone else (especially see: IB) is. I can really, really see him struggling this year.

I cannot see this team being bad though. I think they have a lot of bodies and a lot of young guys that can come in and fill the big shoes left by Dee and Augie. Plus, the Big10 is down this year, we have a cake schedule (no trip to Madison OR Columbus) and a lot of squads can compete. I think Wisconsin is going to run away with the title, honestly (I think they are Final Four material), but I don't buy into the Ohio State hype for conference play. How many Big Ten titles did the Fab Five win? Zero.

Should be a good year though.

Let us know what goes on for Rose tonight at the scrimmage.
kaskomm09
Smartest Guy In The Room

Postby Dr Jeckyll » 27 Oct 2006, 15:07

nice job edog, appreciate the preview. but doesn't the ewing theory mean that you become better when your best player leaves? also:

Let us know what goes on for Rose tonight at the scrimmage.

cosign. :P
[/quote]
Gregs Kite - Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:55 pm: I hate DJ and his stupid face and hes so stupid and I want to punch him
Dr Jeckyll
Never Forgotten

Postby edogpgc » 27 Oct 2006, 15:12

Hmm, I was actually planning a paragraph on Wooden Award Watch member, Brian Randle, :roll: . I forgot that part. Yeah, he can't shoot, and he picks up fouls too fast. He should be improved, but I don't think he's ever going to be a star here. He is obviously a very good defender, though.

I agree that Jamar won't have as big an impact as people seem to think, but he didn't take a lot of shots last year, and he honestly looks like he could be as almost as good a shooter as Redick. I'm not sure yet, because many of his looks were open before people caught onto him, but he he's an extremely gifted shooter. We'll see.

I'll post if anything important happens with Rose, but I don't think anything special is going down tonight.
edogpgc
Friend of Lohan

Postby Dr Jeckyll » 27 Oct 2006, 15:19

Hmm, I was actually planning a paragraph on Wooden Award Watch member, Brian Randle,

i think you misunderstood me. you are predicting the illini to be worse this year than they were last year. hence, the ewing theory isn't really applicable.
Dr Jeckyll
Never Forgotten

Postby Brick Tamland » 27 Oct 2006, 15:27

Untouchable wrote:
Hmm, I was actually planning a paragraph on Wooden Award Watch member, Brian Randle,

i think you misunderstood me. you are predicting the illini to be worse this year than they were last year. hence, the ewing theory isn't really applicable.

unless maybe he thinks they'll make it to the Sweet 16?
](*,)

2012 SOTSG Pro Football Pick'em Champeen
2007 SOTSG Pro Football Pick'em Champeen
Brick Tamland
The Bomb Dick

Postby edogpgc » 27 Oct 2006, 17:01

Untouchable wrote:

I actually hadn't read your post yet, I was responding to Kasko, because I forgot to include the section on Randle, but I just meant that the loss of the 2 best players could possibly be made up by everyone else stepping up. I think they have Ewing Theory potential, and the manner in which things could play out strikes me as similar. But yeah, you're right, maybe that wasn't the best example.

Nice work on the Cosign- that was hilarious. *clap emoticon*
edogpgc
Friend of Lohan

Postby edogpgc » 27 Oct 2006, 20:28

My last double post. I promise, haha.

Just got back from the scrimmage. It was kind of boring but I got to go inside Assembly Hall for the first time, which was pretty cool. Question: How are the seats divided up in terms of Krush/student section/Alumni? I can never tell.

Basically, it was a pretty poorly played game until the last period, and the only 2 players who stuck out were Chester and Trent Meacham, surprisingly. I guess there really was nothing to take from it.

On the Rose front, he came in wearing an orange shirt, but he couldn't have looked more disinterested the whole game. I get the feeling they're down here "on business". I'm not sure where the shadiness is coming from, but if he does indeed come here, something had to have been going on behind the scenes. I just don't understand why he would need to make another trip here.

Basically, there was some form of a Derrick or Reggie Rose chant periodically throughout the game. Honestly, the chants were pretty weak, and I kind of think we looked pretty pathetic and desperate. I just get the feeling that it's really not about how much love we show him. Anyways, should be entertaining when I get around to reading the IB tomorrow, :lol: .
edogpgc
Friend of Lohan

Postby kaskomm09 » 28 Oct 2006, 12:37

edogpgc wrote:My last double post. I promise, haha.

Just got back from the scrimmage. It was kind of boring but I got to go inside Assembly Hall for the first time, which was pretty cool. Question: How are the seats divided up in terms of Krush/student section/Alumni? I can never tell.

Basically, it was a pretty poorly played game until the last period, and the only 2 players who stuck out were Chester and Trent Meacham, surprisingly. I guess there really was nothing to take from it.

On the Rose front, he came in wearing an orange shirt, but he couldn't have looked more disinterested the whole game. I get the feeling they're down here "on business". I'm not sure where the shadiness is coming from, but if he does indeed come here, something had to have been going on behind the scenes. I just don't understand why he would need to make another trip here.

Basically, there was some form of a Derrick or Reggie Rose chant periodically throughout the game. Honestly, the chants were pretty weak, and I kind of think we looked pretty pathetic and desperate. I just get the feeling that it's really not about how much love we show him. Anyways, should be entertaining when I get around to reading the IB tomorrow, :lol: .

Thanks for the report edog. I'm actually real excited for Meacham. From everything I read when he transferred, he sounded like he can play.

On another front, Zook's got the boys up 24-10 at the half in Madison. Wow. You gotta give the coach good grades this year for (a) bringing in his talent (everyone playing is practically a freshman) and (b) getting them competitive in every Big Ten game.

Edit: Nice touch with the cosign, no touchy. I got a good chuckle out of that too.
kaskomm09
Smartest Guy In The Room

Postby edogpgc » 28 Oct 2006, 14:36

Well, another really tough loss for the Illini. That's 4 games in a row we should've won, but lost. Kyle Yelton is absolutely killing us with his consistent 25 yard punts, and E.B is not helping matters. The D can't be expected to step up with half-fields the whole freaking game. Juice had a very poor second half, and Wisconsin showed why they're a much better team. I'm still very confident going into next year. We should have a good chance at a bowl, and supposedly we're bringing in a huge haul of big-time recruits. The future of the program looks bright. It's getting really frustrating watching these games, though.
edogpgc
Friend of Lohan

Postby someguysomewhere » 28 Oct 2006, 17:26

edogpgc wrote:Carlwell has a 9'3" wingspan, is 6'11" and was athletic enough to play tight end for the football team in high school. Bruce Weber is already on record as saying he could be the best and most unique center to ever play for the Illini. I expect him to be a key to our dominance on the defensive end, which was probably our biggest strength last year. I hope he can have a similar impact to the Illini that Hibbert has for Georgetown (on the defensive end, that is- doesn't look like he'll be scoring that much early in his career).

9'3"???????? There's no way that can be right, that Sene guy the Sonics drafted is only like 7'11". Did you mean 7'3"? If you are serious that the guy has a 9'3" wingspan, have you got a picture?
the very best of _:

Mar 15
if im cooking frozen pizza in the oven, how long should i preheat it. box says preheat to 375F but for how long?

Apr 25
the opportunity cost of knowing how to preheat an oven is pretty puny compared to anything else
someguysomewhere
TRU Patriot

Postby edogpgc » 28 Oct 2006, 18:06

someguysomewhere wrote:
edogpgc wrote:Carlwell has a 9'3" wingspan, is 6'11" and was athletic enough to play tight end for the football team in high school. Bruce Weber is already on record as saying he could be the best and most unique center to ever play for the Illini. I expect him to be a key to our dominance on the defensive end, which was probably our biggest strength last year. I hope he can have a similar impact to the Illini that Hibbert has for Georgetown (on the defensive end, that is- doesn't look like he'll be scoring that much early in his career).

9'3"???????? There's no way that can be right, that Sene guy the Sonics drafted is only like 7'11". Did you mean 7'3"? If you are serious that the guy has a 9'3" wingspan, have you got a picture?

Yeah, it's not 9'3". I must've had a typo, haha, but here's a picture...

This is the best I could find.
edogpgc
Friend of Lohan

Next

Return to College Sports