Women's College Basketball

Women's College Basketball

Postby Rodney Farva » 07 Jan 2006, 20:01

Geno Auriemma, victim.

Forgive the long quote, but no reason for anyone to have to read all that crap about some dude who coaches chix hoops. Here is his bleating and crying about how incredibly tough he has it:

Geno, for whom life is very unfair, wrote:So I tell [Pat Summitt], "You know what? You are perceived as the golden girl of women's basketball, and I've got a chip on my shoulder because I don't like it. That's how I feel. I feel like there are things I'm going to have to overcome that you will never have to overcome."

I tell her, "See Ceal Barry, the Colorado coach, over there? You were just with her for an hour, going over X's and O's. Do you know a few years back that Ceal Barry called me and wanted to come up to Connecticut to go over our triangle offense? I told her we would be glad to help her. She spent three days with us. I went over everything we did with her. I watched film with her, gave her drills, and reviewed strategy. She sent me a note afterward saying, 'I can't believe you did that, I never knew you before and I'm so grateful.'

"Well, now Ceal Barry walks right by me without looking at me. So where is that coming from? Because we recruited some kids from Colorado? I've got this reputation as an arrogant S.O.B., a guy who is unapproachable. Oh really? I'll do anything for anybody. Just ask me. Call me. But then don't act like you don't know me because I got some players you wanted."

Pat says, "Well, I don't know anything about that." And she really didn't. I was just trying to prove a point. This is the kind of stuff I'm up against. And because of it, I'm out to kick everyone's butt.

Some of it is just natural. I don't want to come off as "Oh, poor Geno Auriemma, he's a guy coaching women's basketball and woe is me, it's me against the world," but it is different being a man coaching the women's game. There are always going to be certain people who don't want you to succeed, just because you are a man.
You coin contrarian bro and say shit nonsense like this.
Rodney Farva
Your real father

Postby JichaelDick » 08 Jan 2006, 11:37

I think there are two numbers that make Auriemma cry like a little bitch...89-80.
TVF wannabe - Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:42 pm: ...a good rule of thumb is if you post some thing like that and IMS quickly jumps in with an uncomfortable reference you went too far
JichaelDick
Delightful Nutjob

Postby Freddy Fernandez » 10 Jan 2006, 11:22

The 3rd story down on ESPN.com's front page has this question...

The Silver Anniversary of the women's NCAA tourney is upon us. Can you name the top 25 players?

Umm, no. No one can. And if you can, you might want to reevaluate your life.
"What're the best shoe/purse brands for the spring season?" ~jack_daniels
Freddy Fernandez
OG's sponsor

Postby TheWolf » 10 Jan 2006, 12:21

I don't think I could name any 25 players.
"our kayaking guy sucked and came last"
- SGSW
TheWolf
Hand-Holder

Postby JichaelDick » 10 Jan 2006, 12:22

I can name 5...Sue Bird, Diana Taurasi, Kara Lawson, Rebecca Lobo, and Chamique Holdsclaw. And Ruth Riley. And Jackie Stiles...goddamn it, I know way to damn much about this. Fuck you ESPN...fuck you right in the ear.
TVF wannabe - Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:42 pm: ...a good rule of thumb is if you post some thing like that and IMS quickly jumps in with an uncomfortable reference you went too far
JichaelDick
Delightful Nutjob

Postby TheWolf » 10 Jan 2006, 12:25

I am proud to say that, until now, I had never heard of Ruth Riley. It makes me happy that you know more about women's hoops than I do. Then again, since I've lived in CT for 10 years, and women's basketball is apparently the only sport people in this goddamn state care about, I could probably name at least a dozen former UConn players. So I guess I still suck.
- SGSW
TheWolf
Hand-Holder

Postby nova » 10 Jan 2006, 12:27

I could probably name 25, but I am a sports junkie and will read or watch anything sports related.

I, for one, am greatly disappointed that Brittany Jackson was not on this list.
nova
Thrifty Negro

Postby TheWolf » 10 Jan 2006, 12:27

I, for one, am greatly disappointed that you read the whole list.
- SGSW
TheWolf
Hand-Holder

Postby JichaelDick » 10 Jan 2006, 12:28

the only reason I ever heard of Ruth Riley was because in 2001, I made a concerted effort to watch as much NCAA Tournament basketball as I could, so I saw a lot of games in the women's tournament. In a not-so-unrelated story, I haven't watched a single woman's basketball game since the Notre Dame-Purdue final of 2001.

ETA: How could I forget Brittany Jackson...she and Sue Bird are like the only two hot chicks to ever get very far in the tournament. Oh, and Stacy Dales-Schumann. Damn it, that's 9 players. Fuck!!!
Last edited by JichaelDick on 10 Jan 2006, 12:29, edited 1 time in total.
JichaelDick
Delightful Nutjob

Postby Briandong79 » 10 Jan 2006, 12:28

JichaelDick wrote:And Jackie Stiles.

Wasn't he my avatar for awhile?
PhillyJim76 - Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:20 am: X?I wrote a disturbing clueless fan fiction story that got me in hot water in college
Briandong79
Beep Boop

Postby JichaelDick » 10 Jan 2006, 12:29

Briandean79 wrote:
JichaelDick wrote:And Jackie Stiles.

Wasn't he my avatar for awhile?

Yes, yes he was. I'm thoroughly convinced that that Jackie Stiles was not at all female.
JichaelDick
Delightful Nutjob

Postby Rodney Farva » 07 Apr 2006, 16:51

the death of the army women's hoops coach (sister of pitt men's coach jamie dixon) is incredibly damned sad and scary as hell.
You coin contrarian bro and say shit nonsense like this.
Rodney Farva
Your real father

Postby JichaelDick » 21 Mar 2007, 00:29

I'm not starting a new thread, but the 2005-06 defending national champs were eliminated...by Ole Miss of all teams. If I actually cared about women's hoops, I'd be beside myself with joy right now

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncw/recap?gameId=274000013
JichaelDick
Delightful Nutjob

Postby mister bacon » 21 Mar 2007, 00:33

JichaelDick wrote:I'm not starting a new thread, but the 2005-06 defending national champs were eliminated...by Ole Miss of all teams. If I actually cared about women's hoops, I'd be beside myself with joy right now

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncw/recap?gameId=274000013

marylandfanatic would be very upset.. :sniff:
2006 SOTSG ESPN March Madness Tourney Challenge Champion
2010 SOTSG NFL Pick 'Em Champion

bostonsucksmyballs wrote: I dont want to lose cred here.

ctz31 - Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:30 pm: I'm gonna win a chip w romo. I'm done w blacks. No offense
mister bacon
Black on Both Sides

Postby Briandong79 » 21 Mar 2007, 16:16

I went ahead and edited the title of this thread, b\c I'm going to go out on a limb and say that each individual women's basketball season isn't going to need a separate thread.
PhillyJim76 - Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:20 am: X?I wrote a disturbing clueless fan fiction story that got me in hot water in college
Briandong79
Beep Boop

Next

Return to College Sports