Should the NCAA pay its athletes?

Re: Should the NCAA pay its athletes?

Postby nova » 27 Sep 2013, 13:39

ONTB wrote:I wonder if there was a time when a free education and all the high-quality trim you could ever want was truly enough. And then, when did that all become nearly meaningless?

When conferences started pulling in nine figure TV deals. Makes a $100 handshake feel literally like pennies.
Jew Jitsu: It's like you guys are incompatible with each other but have to make due cause you can't pull out.
nova
Thrifty Negro

Postby Theny » 28 Sep 2013, 06:40

So the people at the top of an organization make a significant amount of money from the people at the bottom. Wow, that is totally unlike the real world! :^o

Life's not fair, waah. Take your free education that you often wouldn't qualify for in the first place and enjoy starting your life without being saddled with debt like every other 22 year old.
Theny
Anchor Baby Daddy

Postby kaskomm09 » 28 Sep 2013, 18:16

JT99 wrote:
nova wrote:
God Shamgod wrote:
Briandong79 wrote:
JT99 wrote:
nova wrote:Stefan Diggs at Maryland is my pick in the "that nigga got paid" pool. Not saying that it is 100%, but this cat was a legit blue chipper and decided to be a huge fish in a water bottle.

Nova ~ get to know the name Mike Locksley and you will have your answers.

More coming Maryland's way soon.

He was the shitty-ass coach down at New Mexico right?

He was way way way over his head as a head coach, but a master gatherer of nogs in the DC region. Dirtiest player in the game.

Oh, I know the name. Pretty sure I had posted on it a few months ago when he signed on. He's already building a pipeline to Baltimore's Catholic schools, which apparently had never existed at Maryland in the past.

Yeah, he is the Pied Piper of nogs. He's locked into the D.C. private scene as well.

He was one of Zook's assistants/coordinators and had a pipeline from that area coming to Illinois (including the likes of Arrelious Benn, Vonate Davis, etc.). I don't have the connections to know anything concrete, but I heard from a few people we paid to get Benn.
2007 SOTSG College Pick'em Champion
kaskomm09
Smartest Guy In The Room

Postby White Lightning » 03 Oct 2013, 13:01

nova wrote: What happens when John Football suddenly is academically ineligible because he's been out promoting his own line of condoms?

Catz
Gregs Kite - Wed May 22, 2013 9:55 am: WL is funny, possibly a full blown alcoholic, and seemingly not a prissy dickhead.
White Lightning
Etiquette Instructor

Postby Gregs Kite » 19 Feb 2014, 11:24

http://newsok.com/oklahoma-releases-lis ... 85/?page=2

May 10, 2013

Violation: Three current student-athletes received food in excess of NCAA regulation at a graduation banquet. The three had graduated from the school but returned for an additional season of competition. The players were provided pasta in excess of the permissible amount allowed. Resolution: The three were required to donate $3.83 each (the cost of the pasta serving) to a charity of their choice in order to be reinstated. The department provided rules education to applicable athletics department staff members.

You fuckers ruined kite.

Apr 22, 2015 3:49 pm Clayton Bigsby i enjoy sports

TheWolf - Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:26 pm: i'm ctz. i'm sober at 3:30 pm. dork

Frank the Tank wrote:If I die I leave my red font to Kite.
Gregs Kite
Friend of Friends

Postby White Lightning » 22 Feb 2014, 14:11

The players were provided pasta in excess of the permissible amount allowed

Lack of institutional control.
Gregs Kite - Wed May 22, 2013 9:55 am: WL is funny, possibly a full blown alcoholic, and seemingly not a prissy dickhead.
White Lightning
Etiquette Instructor

Postby mister bacon » 24 Mar 2014, 15:33

2006 SOTSG ESPN March Madness Tourney Challenge Champion
2010 SOTSG NFL Pick 'Em Champion

bostonsucksmyballs wrote: I dont want to lose cred here.

ctz31 - Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:30 pm: I'm gonna win a chip w romo. I'm done w blacks. No offense
mister bacon
Black on Both Sides

Postby mj3528 » 24 Mar 2014, 15:42

put me, a mawg, in the not pay camp. As I said in the SB, the offer is a scholarship in exchange for agreeing to play a sport for the university. It you think it is a bad deal decline it, and try your hand at something you feel is more lucrative.
2009 NFL Pick 'em Champion
SOTSG Fantasy Basketball (Almost Entirely) 2012 Champion
2015 SOTSG NFL Survivor Champion, Part 2
2015 SOTSG Death Pool Co-Champion
mj3528
Never Forgotten

Postby TVF wannabe » 24 Mar 2014, 15:48

mj3528 wrote:

put me, a mawg, in the not pay camp. As I said in the SB, the offer is a scholarship in exchange for agreeing to play a sport for the university. It you think it is a bad deal decline it, and try your hand at something you feel is more lucrative.

agree. (that doesn't mean some of the NCAA rules need to change)
TVF wannabe
The Bomb Dick

Postby mj3528 » 24 Mar 2014, 15:50

TVF wannabe wrote:
mj3528 wrote:

agree. (that doesn't mean some of the NCAA rules need to change)

#1 rule change, all scholarships are guaranteed for 4 years as long as their are no behavior or academic issues, instead of how they are year to year now.
mj3528
Never Forgotten

Postby the cheese » 24 Mar 2014, 15:53

mj3528 wrote:

Pay 'em. The NCAA is a developmental system for the NFL and the NBA. Everybody else in the business makes real money. The value of a scholarship varies wildly, especially when the institutions funnel players into easy majors and fields of study. Playing for the university and getting a degree is a smokescreen around the fact that the NFL and NBA both prohibit players from plying their trade in any meaningful form in the United States.

You could also pretty easily establish that given the standard scholarship football or basketball athlete probably falls significantly outside the first and second standard deviation of test scores and high school grades, which probably means that the education and scholarship are probably worth dick.
Clayton Bigsby - Wed May 23, 2012 2:55 pm: i'd rather live with a guy who's kind of annoying but a nice guy than a guy who's kind of annoying and a dick
the cheese
The Douche

Postby ONTB » 25 Mar 2014, 12:32

mj3528 wrote:

That really only makes sense if the NFL and NBA do away with their age restrictions and teams can start signing players to contracts whenever they want. Which was the great Mark Cuban idea about going to the academy route for the NBA. Instead of the AAU bullshit and one and done absurdity, teams can sign kids whenever they want and work them through the youth academy. If a kid's not good enough, develops later or doesn't want sign that type of deal, they can still go the NCAA route. But, at least for basketball, Europe is an option. For football, the NFL and the NCAA have the kids right where they want them. Both are making major money and you either go to college or you sit out three years (Or, go to Canada, I think)-- which means never playing in the NFL.

Only college baseball has it somewhat right-- and it seems like that system works OK. Great prospects get developed and paid early. Other kids can decide on the college path for a few years.
[Mon 0:15] ONTB: Why can't the whole fucking cast come up? I want to hear what Marky Marky has to say
[Mon 0:16] Clayton Bigsby: "i'd like to thank the funky bunch"
ONTB
The Bomb Dick

Postby Gregs Kite » 25 Mar 2014, 12:40

ONTB wrote:
mj3528 wrote:

That really only makes sense if the NFL and NBA do away with their age restrictions and teams can start signing players to contracts whenever they want. Which was the great Mark Cuban idea about going to the academy route for the NBA. Instead of the AAU bullshit and one and done absurdity, teams can sign kids whenever they want and work them through the youth academy. If a kid's not good enough, develops later or doesn't want sign that type of deal, they can still go the NCAA route. But, at least for basketball, Europe is an option. For football, the NFL and the NCAA have the kids right where they want them. Both are making major money and you either go to college or you sit out three years (Or, go to Canada, I think)-- which means never playing in the NFL.

Only college baseball has it somewhat right-- and it seems like that system works OK. Great prospects get developed and paid early. Other kids can decide on the college path for a few years.

Let's be brutally honest here, baseball players are typically of the mentality that can survive a few years in the minors and away from the spotlight. Football players have a significantly less time frame to make their money, and are guaranteed far less over a career. Basketball players? Yeah, you can't build your brand and work towards your Superfriends 2nd contract whilst languishing on the Austin Toros, but that's on the NCAA. If these guys really need the money to pay their boyz, then go to Europe for a couple years and learn Spanish.

So yeah, pay 'em. It's going to make the spending in MLB look laughable, but it'll do away with the sham of the amateur athulete.
You fuckers ruined kite.

Apr 22, 2015 3:49 pm Clayton Bigsby i enjoy sports

TheWolf - Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:26 pm: i'm ctz. i'm sober at 3:30 pm. dork

Frank the Tank wrote:If I die I leave my red font to Kite.
Gregs Kite
Friend of Friends

Postby mj3528 » 25 Mar 2014, 12:41

ONTB wrote:
mj3528 wrote:

Sure, I agree that players could sign out of high school if they wanted. I like the baseball system: sign out of HS if that is your desire, if you enroll in college, it is 3 years. Also, if a kid gets drafted and doesn't like the money, he can go to college.
mj3528
Never Forgotten

Postby the cheese » 25 Mar 2014, 12:44

Gregs Kite wrote:
ONTB wrote:
mj3528 wrote:

Let's be brutally honest here, baseball players are typically of the mentality that can survive a few years in the minors and away from the spotlight. Football players have a significantly less time frame to make their money, and are guaranteed far less over a career. Basketball players? Yeah, you can't build your brand and work towards your Superfriends 2nd contract whilst languishing on the Austin Toros, but that's on the NCAA. If these guys really need the money to pay their boyz, then go to Europe for a couple years and learn Spanish.

So yeah, pay 'em. It's going to make the spending in MLB look laughable, but it'll do away with the sham of the amateur athulete.

THIS IS GODDAMN AMERICA! AN AMERICAN SHOULDN'T HAVE TO GO TO COMMUNIST EUROPE TO HAVE TO EARN A DECENT WAGE!

Seriously, pay 'em. Tom Izzo gets 3.5M a year to coach 35 games and let car salesmen from Grand Rapids jerk off at alumni events. You could at least extend the same courtesy to the guys who facilitate that.
Clayton Bigsby - Wed May 23, 2012 2:55 pm: i'd rather live with a guy who's kind of annoying but a nice guy than a guy who's kind of annoying and a dick
the cheese
The Douche

PreviousNext

Return to College Sports