Should the NCAA pay its athletes?

Re: Should the NCAA pay its athletes?

Postby Briandong79 » 25 Mar 2014, 13:40

Because it's not a true market, I think it's incredibly difficult to come up with a "fair" way to pay the players, but I do know that shit like this is really bad:
http://deadspin.com/ohio-state-ad-gets- ... 1551289573

Congrats kid, you just won a national title and your AD, who you probably have barely met, gets nearly $20K! And you get....
PhillyJim76 - Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:20 am: X?I wrote a disturbing clueless fan fiction story that got me in hot water in college
Briandong79
Beep Boop

Postby Briandong79 » 26 Mar 2014, 14:48

The NLRB says that Northwestern football players can unionize. Not unexpected but could be a first step.
PhillyJim76 - Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:20 am: X?I wrote a disturbing clueless fan fiction story that got me in hot water in college
Briandong79
Beep Boop

Postby the cheese » 25 Sep 2015, 13:59

This is just a great fucking story.

Former UNC QB Caleb Pressley wrote:BL: Why did you decide to make a t-shirt of NCAA president Mark Emmert?

CP: Well, I just graduated college in May. And while I was in college, my entire four years, I was affiliated or I was even a member of the NCAA institution. And Mark Emmert, you know, he’s the president of that governing body. He was always a role model to me. When I graduated — you go through a stage in your life where you’re like, “What’s next? What am I gonna do?” These are times you have to look up to your mentors, to your role models.

I looked up to mine. I said, ‘What would Mark Emmert do right now?’ I said, ‘You know what, what he would probably do is find some people or find one person and then take their image and their ability and skill and just make as much money as possible off them, and then not give it to them.’ You know what I’m saying? I’m just out here trying to follow in his footsteps. Now, have I started a non-profit, tax-exempt organization, and am I making a million dollars or more in annual salary yet? No, I’m not. But I’m still following in his footsteps. Hopefully, I’ll be there one day.

BL: Now, 15 of the shirts in your line feature the likenesses of current players. It looks like I can choose between Mississippi State quarterback Dak Prescott and Vanderbilt running back Ralph Webb. Have I got that about right?

CP: No, you’re completely incorrect. Those are just kinda like artistic abstractions of college athletes. To put a name on it like that, I wouldn’t go that far. I don’t know. The art is hard to describe. You either get it or you don’t. But the thing with those shirts, though, is they also make $12.50 in profit, every single one of them. They’re $25 on Barstool. I’m saving all of that money as well — except to the savings account. Mark Emmert to the checking account. I will save all of that money, and then in one year, two years, three, even maybe four — whenever the time is appropriate — I’ma go back and I’ma donate that money. I’m trying to be a more charitable person.

So whenever the appropriate time comes, I think I’m going to donate that money to 15 different people. Now, I don’t know who those 15 people are going to be. But I think over the next one to four years, hopefully, I’ll be able to find someone I feel is deserving.

ETA:

WHen he asked if he was worried about getting sued.
BL: You ran the plan for the entire line of likenesses — sort of — t-shirts by an attorney, as I understand it. Is he preparing your legal defense as we speak, just in case?

CP: You know, he’s not. Because the one shirt, the Mark Emmert shirt, it’s Mark Emmert and that’s how U.S. law goes: you can’t represent someone else without either getting their OK or giving them a slice of the profit, what have you. The good thing about Mark Emmert is this guy doesn’t care, man. He’s so for it. He’s for the cause. He is 100 percent about “Let’s go out, let’s find some people who will sell us some stuff and let’s put ‘em on it and let’s act like it’s not them and let’s make as much money as we can.” Can you imagine my role model trying to sue me? That’s not something a mentor would do.

CP: I think his [Emmert’s] little NCAA might crumble from capital to lowercase letters. I don’t know. It just doesn’t make sense. I’m just trying to say I’m really not that worried about it. If he sues me, honestly, I will be so happy. I’ve went through life, I had a great childhood. I went to high school. I was able to have a great high school career. I got to go to college and play football, and now I have a cool job — I tour the SEC. Everything’s went great so far. However, if Mark Emmert sues me for his likeness, it will by far be the highlight of my entire life. I look forward to the day this happens. Obviously it will never happen because that would be hypocritical, and we all know Mark Emmert, president of the NCAA, is not a hypocrite.]
Clayton Bigsby - Wed May 23, 2012 2:55 pm: i'd rather live with a guy who's kind of annoying but a nice guy than a guy who's kind of annoying and a dick
the cheese
The Douche

Postby NotAndyGreenwald » 25 Sep 2015, 14:11

Hero. Just the man.
mj3528 » 03 Dec 2015, 22:34 something rarely said, but NAG was right.

Gregs Kite - Yesterday, 20:56: Is NAG _ v2.0?
NotAndyGreenwald
Rocky Balboa

Postby mister bacon » 07 Mar 2017, 17:45

vice asks DOES RACIAL RESENTMENT FUEL OPPOSITION TO PAYING COLLEGE ATHLETES?

you won't believe what they found!
2006 SOTSG ESPN March Madness Tourney Challenge Champion
2010 SOTSG NFL Pick 'Em Champion

mj3528 wrote: I hate panhandlers with dogs. I feel so bad for the dog.

ctz31 - Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:30 pm: I'm gonna win a chip w romo. I'm done w blacks. No offense
mister bacon
Black on Both Sides

Postby SouthernYokel » 08 Mar 2017, 09:19

1. I think they should pay college players that generate income for the school

2. That is a ludicrous "study." I mean, sure, racists are against paying blacks for anything. Fought a war over it, even
JT99 wrote:imagine working your entire board life on being a guy investigating every nook and cranny of others' sexual lives only to have some drunken baboon stumble into the r&t jackpot
SouthernYokel
Hank the Hangover Turtle

Postby mister bacon » 08 Mar 2017, 10:27

SouthernYokel wrote:1. I think they should pay college players that generate income for the school

2. That is a ludicrous "study." I mean, sure, racists are against paying blacks for anything. Fought a war over it, even

yeah but i think thats the interesting point. the discussion of "racist" v racial resentment is the most interesting part of the article. like even people who only harbor resentment oppose paying athletes.
2006 SOTSG ESPN March Madness Tourney Challenge Champion
2010 SOTSG NFL Pick 'Em Champion

mj3528 wrote: I hate panhandlers with dogs. I feel so bad for the dog.

ctz31 - Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:30 pm: I'm gonna win a chip w romo. I'm done w blacks. No offense
mister bacon
Black on Both Sides

Postby bosux » 08 Mar 2017, 10:36

i agree with bacon...it's not like they're getting a free education or anything
by bosux » 02 Mar 2016, 13:34
if the democratic power machine is so tone deaf as to foist $hrillary upon the electorate they will lose to Trump...bet on it
bosux
Dr. Poop

Postby SouthernYokel » 08 Mar 2017, 10:39

mister bacon wrote:
SouthernYokel wrote:1. I think they should pay college players that generate income for the school

yeah but i think thats the interesting point. the discussion of "racist" v racial resentment is the most interesting part of the article. like even people who only harbor resentment oppose paying athletes.

i dunno, i guess there could be some correlation but it is plainly obvious that "scary change" is the reason people don't want to do it. college has never paid players, so people don't want it to ever pay players. full stop. honestly i was in the "amateur" camp until the last 5-10 years where the NCAA has been so hypocritical about being a non-profit student advocacy group and also making a billion dollars a year on their backs; fining and suspending the institutions they make less money from and looking the other way for schools that produce.
JT99 wrote:imagine working your entire board life on being a guy investigating every nook and cranny of others' sexual lives only to have some drunken baboon stumble into the r&t jackpot
SouthernYokel
Hank the Hangover Turtle

Postby JT99 » 08 Mar 2017, 10:44

Pay the players, take away scholarships.

Fin.
BigJohnStudd wrote:The original Annie movie from the 80s has a lot of panty shots for a PG rated kids film.

BostonSucksMyBalls wrote:26 Jan 2017 10:53: need the D
JT99
Between Bannings

Postby the cheese » 08 Mar 2017, 16:14

JT99 wrote:Pay the players, take away scholarships.

Fin.

Separate the football teams from the universities. Colleges don't need to subsidize minor league sports.
Clayton Bigsby - Wed May 23, 2012 2:55 pm: i'd rather live with a guy who's kind of annoying but a nice guy than a guy who's kind of annoying and a dick
the cheese
The Douche

Postby mj3528 » 08 Mar 2017, 16:25

the cheese wrote:

Fin.

Separate the football teams from the universities. Colleges don't need to subsidize minor league sports.

I think if college football is separated from the university it lessens the experience. everyone realizes that 99% of college football players go pro in something other than sports. providing an education for those that want it seems to be a good thing.

In SI they did an oral history of the Boise-Oklahoma Fiesta bowl. So many of those Boise players had good jobs that had nothing to do with sports presently.

This is a MAWG post. Sorry.
2009 NFL Pick 'em Champion
SOTSG Fantasy Basketball (Almost Entirely) 2012 Champion
2015 SOTSG NFL Survivor Champion, Part 2
2015 SOTSG Death Pool Co-Champion
2017 SOTSG Fantasy Basketball Champion
mj3528
Never Forgotten

Postby the cheese » 08 Mar 2017, 16:28

mj3528 wrote:
the cheese wrote:

Fin.

I think if college football is separated from the university it lessens the experience. everyone realizes that 99% of college football players go pro in something other than sports. providing an education for those that want it seems to be a good thing.

In SI they did an oral history of the Boise-Oklahoma Fiesta bowl. So many of those Boise players had good jobs that had nothing to do with sports presently.

I understand that position, but no college also needs to house a $100M a year minor league football team. It detracts from the mission of the university. Boise is a great example, because nobody gives a shit about Boise, and the school probably loses money on the football team every year they don't go to a New Years Six bowl.

Why baseball is allowed to have a minor league system for high school athletes that don't want to go to college but football and to a lesser extent basketball aren't is beyond me.
the cheese
The Douche

Postby SouthernYokel » 09 Mar 2017, 10:26

the cheese wrote:
mj3528 wrote:
the cheese wrote:

Fin.

I understand that position, but no college also needs to house a $100M a year minor league football team. It detracts from the mission of the university. Boise is a great example, because nobody gives a shit about Boise, and the school probably loses money on the football team every year they don't go to a New Years Six bowl.

Why baseball is allowed to have a minor league system for high school athletes that don't want to go to college but football and to a lesser extent basketball aren't is beyond me.

Nfl and nba are allowed to have minor leagues. They have no incentive to make one because colleges have done it for them for free. College baseball is not organized well enough to support mlb as a feeder league
SouthernYokel
Hank the Hangover Turtle

Postby nerf66 » 09 Mar 2017, 12:30

the cheese wrote:
mj3528 wrote:
the cheese wrote:

Fin.

Boise is a great example, because nobody gives a shit about Boise, and the school probably loses money on the football team every year they don't go to a New Years Six bowl.

Your statement is probably wrong.

http://college-sports.pointafter.com/l/3382/Boise-State-University-Football
BostonSucksMyBalls - Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:42 am: my disdain for 66 stems from posters saying how great a poster he was. I never saw it. He has never made an interesting post or comment, imo.
nerf66
Yellow Jacket

PreviousNext

Return to College Sports