my failure is the best failure: the Vols thread

Re: my failure is the best failure: the Vols thread

Postby BostonSucksMyBalls » 30 Nov 2017, 15:51

Ooooh Dorean is staying at State? Sorry, Fulsh
PS: I will never like July 27th. It will always be the day Reggie died. I just hate this day. True Celtic fans know what I mean.

"i'm relatively confident her asshole" - Farva
BostonSucksMyBalls
Slave to Uber

Postby Rodney Farva » 30 Nov 2017, 23:57

so, Mike Leach, huh?
You coin contrarian bro and say shit nonsense like this.
Rodney Farva
Your real father

Postby Colonel Angus » 01 Dec 2017, 10:27

"Isn't it no, baas or something? That's how I read it in a boxing book. It's South African or something."
- _, on Roberto Duran.
_ - Sun Jan 31 5:06 pm:
"it was such a sexy goal, that punched me right in the balls. metaphorically"
Colonel Angus
Pun DMC

Postby SouthernYokel » 01 Dec 2017, 10:28

the dilly dilly part really brings home the desperation
BostonSucksMyBalls - Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:12 pm: I hope Jax wins next week. If the eagles lose to New England, I’m killing myself on Facebook Live
SouthernYokel
Hank the Hangover Turtle

Postby BostonSucksMyBalls » 01 Dec 2017, 10:40

Anus, are you secretly enjoying this? Like, the best time to pay attention to your teams is when there’s chaos, imo. The Sixers have had so much bullshit happen the past few years, it’s been awesome. Same with Chip destroying the birds. It’s fun to hate.
PS: I will never like July 27th. It will always be the day Reggie died. I just hate this day. True Celtic fans know what I mean.

"i'm relatively confident her asshole" - Farva
BostonSucksMyBalls
Slave to Uber

Postby Colonel Angus » 01 Dec 2017, 12:08

BostonSucksMyBalls wrote:Anus, are you secretly enjoying this? Like, the best time to pay attention to your teams is when there’s chaos, imo. The Sixers have had so much bullshit happen the past few years, it’s been awesome. Same with Chip destroying the birds. It’s fun to hate.

No. I used to be that way. Now I am just tired of it and numb. And without hope that it will get any better.

ETA: Actually, I guess I do still get entertained by it at times. But it's more of this type of laugh now:

"Isn't it no, baas or something? That's how I read it in a boxing book. It's South African or something."
- _, on Roberto Duran.
Colonel Angus
Pun DMC

Postby Gregs Kite » 01 Dec 2017, 14:20

College football is fucking unreal.
Apr 22, 2015 3:49 pm Clayton Bigsby i enjoy sports

Magnum - Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:36 pm: perhaps my reaction was built up greg hatred finally coming through. fuck that guy.

Frank the Tank wrote:If I die I leave my red font to Kite.
Gregs Kite
Friend of Friends

Postby Rodney Farva » 01 Dec 2017, 15:32

that phil fulmer is one machiavellian mofo
You coin contrarian bro and say shit nonsense like this.
Rodney Farva
Your real father

Re: The Vols

Postby Colonel Angus » 01 Dec 2017, 17:37

Colonel Angus, on November 20, 2008 (page 35 of this thread) wrote:I've decided after much deliberation that I want Mike Leach. The clinchers were a) the reactions of all the fans of other SEC schools on EDSBS.com to the thought of Leach coaching in Knoxville; and b) the desire for all non-TTU Big 12 fans to get him the hell out of their conference, pronto.

Make it so, Mr. Hamilton.

So, so close. :sad:

We'll always have November 30, 2017, Mike.
- _, on Roberto Duran.
Colonel Angus
Pun DMC

Postby mj3528 » 04 Dec 2017, 15:00

from Peter King today:

“F--- you, Tennessee!”

—A fan in the crowd at the Big Ten championship game in Indianapolis on Saturday night, after Ohio State defensive coordinator Greg Schiano’s unit made a fourth-quarter stand to preserve a 27-21 victory over Wisconsin.

According to Buckeye Sports Bulletin writer Garrett Stepien, the fan yelled it when Schiano was walking up the tunnel, off the field. Schiano, spurned for the University of Tennessee coaching job last week after being promised it, smiled when it was yelled, and pointed up at the man, with another smile.
2009 NFL Pick 'em Champion
SOTSG Fantasy Basketball (Almost Entirely) 2012 Champion
2015 SOTSG NFL Survivor Champion, Part 2
2015 SOTSG Death Pool Co-Champion
2017 SOTSG Fantasy Basketball Champion
mj3528
#QM

Postby The Long Dick of the Law » 04 Dec 2017, 15:02

mj3528 wrote:from Peter King today:

“F--- you, Tennessee!”

—A fan in the crowd at the Big Ten championship game in Indianapolis on Saturday night, after Ohio State defensive coordinator Greg Schiano’s unit made a fourth-quarter stand to preserve a 27-21 victory over Wisconsin.

According to Buckeye Sports Bulletin writer Garrett Stepien, the fan yelled it when Schiano was walking up the tunnel, off the field. Schiano, spurned for the University of Tennessee coaching job last week after being promised it, smiled when it was yelled, and pointed up at the man, with another smile.

shocking that PK fellates his buddy Schiano :roll:
mister bacon love watching soccer. baseball is about as exciting as scratching my balls.
MisterTambourineMan you're not scratching your balls right, then.
The Long Dick of the Law
TRU Patriot

Postby Goose » 04 Dec 2017, 15:06

The Long Dick of the Law wrote:

“F--- you, Tennessee!”

He knows that Schiano will keep it quiet.
Balls: I know a guy who came home after high school one day to over hear his mom and dad having a 3some with another lady. He actually went to beat off during it in his room.
mister bacon: Wow no wonder PJ is so fucked up.
Goose
Smartest Guy In The Room

Postby The Long Dick of the Law » 04 Dec 2017, 15:08

Goose wrote:
The Long Dick of the Law wrote:

“F--- you, Tennessee!”

He knows that Schiano will keep it quiet.

/swish

:lol: :lol:
mister bacon love watching soccer. baseball is about as exciting as scratching my balls.
MisterTambourineMan you're not scratching your balls right, then.
The Long Dick of the Law
TRU Patriot

Postby mj3528 » 22 Dec 2017, 10:13

KNOXVILLE, Tennessee — Jim Haslam turned 87 years old Dec. 13, but the founder and chairman of Pilot Flying J still operates in the daily torrent of running a multibillion-dollar company. He juggles two phone calls at one time, races off to lunch meetings and presides over community events on behalf of the company. Haslam seems as devoted to Pilot as he was in 1958 when he searched out the best location for his first filling station.

If he seems fervent about his company, just look at Haslam’s piety toward his alma mater, the University of Tennessee, and the Knoxville community. UT has been on the receiving end of more than $100 million from the Haslam family for academics and athletics. Pilot Flying J, whose chairman is Browns owner Jimmy Haslam, the founder’s son, has built or is installing new football fields for 13 Knox County High Schools. In addition, each school received $100,000 for their athletic programs and $50,000 for their marching bands, plus an additional $50,000 for academics. This is in addition to the multiple nonprofits in town that have benefitted from Haslam gifts.

Jim Haslam was a 6-foot-3, 200-pound tackle for Tennessee’s 1951 national championship team under Gen. Robert Neyland, the legendary coach whose name is on the monolithic 102,038-seat stadium on campus. A Florida native, Haslam goes nowhere without reminding people that the University of Tennessee set him on his course for success in business and life.

“Everything I have achieved in my life in many ways I owe to the University of Tennessee,” he said.

His wife, Natalie, is also a UT graduate. A $10 million gift from the Haslams helped build the Natalie L. Haslam Music Center, the home of the UT School of Music.

“We’ve given more to academics than we have athletics,” Jim Haslam said. He also cited Jimmy and Dee Haslam’s charitable giving in Cleveland.

This background on the Haslam benevolence — all of it — is important because the Haslams’ 60 years of goodwill is being put to the test in Knoxville this winter. When a firestorm erupted here Nov. 26 over the hiring of Greg Schiano for the most recognizable job in the state, the UT football coach, plenty of the debacle was laid at the feet of the Haslams, specifically Jimmy Haslam.

Jim Haslam wants to make it clear that knighting football coaches for Tennessee is not the family ambition, that academics and the community mean more to him than kingmaking on the gridiron. He is dismayed by the charge he rules the Big Orange brand. Only 21 percent of the family gifts have gone to athletics, he said. Haslam does not like the badge of being the autocrat in the skybox.

Could one disastrous week really wreck six decades of Haslam charity? Are other boosters, envious of the Haslams' influence over UT affairs, anxious to see the family nudged to the side over the spectacle that engulfed the UT community in late November around the failed hiring of Schiano, the Ohio State defensive coordinator?

Is Jim Haslam’s other son, Bill, who is the governor of Tennessee, part of the reason some UT boosters may feel marginalized by the Haslams? Bill, after all, is the chairman of the Board of Trustees for the UT system.

Jimmy Haslam was vilified publicly here after the Schiano debacle. There were protests on campus because of Schiano’s ties to Penn State and the child molestation scandal with Jerry Sandusky. Schiano was on the Penn State staff with Sandusky, and a former PSU coach alleged Schiano was aware of a sexual attack on a child. The charge was never substantiated, and it smeared Schiano.

There is a large rock on campus that serves as a non-digital social media sounding board. It was painted “Welcome to the Tennessee Browns” during the Schiano washout. It was a slap at Jimmy Haslam as if he had botched the UT hire, just like he has botched the ownership — so far — of the Browns, who are 1-29 over the last two seasons and 20-74 during the six seasons Haslam has been in charge.

Jim Haslam is dismayed by such talk.

“Any saying that the Haslams screwed all this up, that’s completely wrong,” Jim Haslam said. “Jimmy was not involved.”

Asked about the rock and “Tennessee Browns” being used as a cudgel against his family, Jim Haslam chuckled as if it is ludicrous to think the Vols are now the pits of the SEC.

“We weren’t that bad,” he said of the winless SEC season and 4-8 record in 2017, citing close losses to Florida, South Carolina and Kentucky.

Jim Haslam understands the furor of fans who desperately want the Big Orange to be relevant again. He wants that, too, but Haslam insists he is not preeminent on campus.

“All we want to do is what’s in the best interest of the University of Tennessee,” Jim Haslam said. “If you asked the people over there they will tell you we have never gone in there and said, ‘You do this, and you do that.’

“We have just tried to give money and do things to make it the best school, especially academically, but athletically, too.”

But the questions remain. Did Jimmy Haslam harm Tennessee football like he has harmed the Browns and his father’s company, Pilot Flying J? Under Jimmy’s watch, there are former employees who have either pleaded guilty or are facing federal charges in a fraud scheme. Did the Browns’ ineptitude leak into UT football?

===

Here is some background:

Jimmy Haslam was on the search committee that recommended the hiring of John Currie as UT athletic director in February 2017 with an annual salary of $900,000.

Currie fired Butch Jones as Vols head coach Nov. 12 and then settled on Schiano as the next head coach. The two went so far as to sign a Memorandum of Understanding, which was obtained by The Athletic. It was a six-year deal worth $25.3 million.

It was atrocious timing.

The school had just settled a lawsuit in 2016 for $2.48 million as a result of accusations by eight women of sexual assault on campus by athletes. Now UT was bringing in a coach under a cloud, albeit a cloud full of thin accusations related to Penn State.

“That (Schiano) hire was as if we were saying, ‘we really didn’t mean it,’ ” said state Rep. Eddie Smith, who was at the forefront of the protests. He was referencing the sexual assault settlement.

“We said, ‘This is not the best thing for us right now.’ ”

Under pressure, Currie rescinded the offer to Schiano and started searching for a new coach. He was rebuffed by several coaches outside the SEC and was negotiating with Washington State coach Mike Leach when Chancellor Dr. Beverly Davenport ordered him back to Knoxville. She suspended him with pay and named former UT coach Phillip Fulmer the athletic director.

Davenport dodged questions throughout a news conference as to why exactly she suspended Currie. Purportedly it was for disobeying the directive to return immediately to Knoxville.

A spokesperson for Davenport told The Athletic she had no comment on the Schiano affair.

Several national college football writers tweeted that Fulmer, 67, sabotaged Currie’s hunt for a coach because Fulmer desperately wanted to be the AD, further adding to the muck.

“That’s just not true,” said Fulmer, who was an offensive lineman at Tennessee (1968-1971) and was the head coach from 1992-2008, which included the national championship season of 1998.

It all washed back on Jimmy Haslam, who had compelled his Browns staff several years earlier to consider Schiano for the Cleveland head coach opening, according to an NFL source with knowledge of the search process. Guilt by association.

Smith said the Schiano debacle was a fuse to a powder keg of 10 years of frustration with the football program, not a backlash to the Haslams' power. There has been tribal resentment among the orange fandom for a string of coaching hires gone bad, and the simmering broke through on Sunday, Nov. 26.

“Fans woke up and spoke up,” Smith said.

Indeed, it has been a crummy 10 years for Vol Nation. Fulmer was fired after the 2008 season and replaced by the brash Lane Kiffin, who left a trail of ill will before abruptly quitting after one season to become the head coach at Southern California. Derek Dooley was hired and went 15-21 in three seasons before he was fired. Butch Jones was hired for the 2013 season and fired after almost five seasons (18-24).

Were the protests an orchestrated blow to the Haslams' power? Smith shook his head no. He said the Haslams, after all, are his constituents and there were no political motives when he spoke out. Smith is a Republican, just like the governor, Bill Haslam. He said he feels “no vibe” within the university to curb the Haslams’ influence.

Smith said there was a report Bill Haslam, Jimmy’s brother, was calling state legislators asking them for support and to help call off the dogs during the weekend of the protests. Smith said he started calling his colleagues in the state legislature and none of them had received a call from Gov. Haslam to help get the fans to cool it with Currie.

Jimmy Haslam was seen as culpable to the failed hiring of Schiano because, in addition to his previous desire that Schiano coach the Browns, he was on the search committee that recommended Davenport hire Currie. And Currie, of course, wanted Schiano as coach. Two others, booster Charlie Anderson and former All-American quarterback Peyton Manning, wanted Fulmer as athletic director.

On Currie’s hiring, Jim Haslam said, “He was the logical candidate.”

No one answered the door at Currie’s house when a reporter visited last week. A note was left in the door asking for a comment on the Schiano episode and the Haslams' involvement, but Currie has not responded. A small Tennessee Vols flag still hangs in front of the house, which sits on the Tennessee River.

It’s not likely Currie will ever speak publicly about the Schiano affair, that is if he wants the university to fulfill its contract obligation to him for a reported $5 million.

“UT will not allow a situation for Currie to file a lawsuit,” said Victor Ashe, the former mayor of Knoxville (1988-2003), the U.S. Ambassador to Poland (2004-2009) and an alum of the UT Law School. “They don’t want to run the risk of prominent people giving depositions under oath and going through that meat-grinder. That would not be a pretty picture.”

Imagine the parade of witnesses under oath disclosing details about Currie’s hiring and firing, Haslam’s suspected role and Fulmer’s role. There are a lot of lingering questions that would be answered with a lawsuit.

Ashe said it is doubtful Schiano would ever sue the school over the MOU because of future employment opportunities. “Some school might look at him and say, ‘if he doesn’t get the job, is he going to sue us?’ ” Ashe said.

A copy of the MOU reveals a sweet deal for Schiano. It included 40 hours of free flight time for his family with the university plane, a monthly vehicle allowance of $1,600, and bonuses galore for reaching milestones on the field. These are standard perks at Power Five schools, all backed by mega-boosters like the Haslams to stay competitive.

Jimmy Haslam might not have been the final authority to hire Schiano, but he was involved in the hiring of Butch Jones away from Cincinnati, and that, too, did not end well.
Browns owner Jimmy Haslam led the search that brought Butch Jones to Tennessee as the football coach for the 2013 season, one source told The Athletic. Jones was fired in November after going 18-24. (Randy Sartin/USA Today Sports)

While the Browns were completing a 5-11 season in 2012, a Browns staff member in Cleveland was helping to make calls regarding the Tennessee coaching search, one NFL source with knowledge of the situation told The Athletic. Haslam, according to the source, was leading the search that led to Jones.

The Haslams vehemently deny that. Family representatives said UT thought it had hired Charlie Strong for the job to replace Dooley, but he changed his mind. Then-athletic director Dave Hart drove to Lexington, Kentucky, and hammered out a deal with Jones. Neither Jim nor Jimmy Haslam met Jones before he arrived at UT, according to the source.

As far as the latest fiasco, the NFL source supports Haslam’s contention that he had nothing to do with the hiring of Schiano.

“I think he’s given his opinion (on Schiano),” the source said. “But where in the past it was just him, I think he’s just a contributor as opposed to The Guy.”

Another person with knowledge of Tennessee's searches said Currie asked Jimmy Haslam about Schiano weeks before Tennessee offered the Ohio State coach the job. Jimmy Haslam told Currie, “Yes, you should consider him,” and Schiano was added to the list of candidates.

It was Currie’s decision to put Schiano at the top of the list, not Haslam’s, and it was fatal to the AD.

The cloud around the program finally started to lift when Fulmer was named AD. John Thornton, whose significant donation led to building one of the first academic centers for athletes in the SEC — Thornton Athletics Student Life Center — said Fulmer’s hiring pulled the program, and the university, out of the raging Schiano fire.

“Phillip Fulmer saved the whole university in a week,” Thornton said.

When Fulmer was hired, a telephone receptionist in the university athletic department said the phones immediately stopped ringing with calls from agitated fans.

Thornton has been a booster for years, but he would not comment on Currie, the Haslams or other boosters.

Charlie Anderson of Anderson Media, whose gift helped build the posh Anderson Training Center on campus, did not respond to a request for comment left at his office.

Charlie Ergen, the founder of DISH Network, is a Tennessee graduate. There has been speculation that he wants to be more involved in UT athletics. Ergen did not respond to multiple requests for comment sent to DISH headquarters in Colorado. Charlie Brinkley Jr., a banker and prominent booster, did not respond to a request for comment.

“The Haslams have been a great asset to Knoxville and, of course, there is going to be some jealousy,” said a source inside Knoxville politics who preferred to remain anonymous. “That’s not unique in small towns.”

The Schiano affair might wrest some influence from the Haslams, but Jim Haslam said that influence has been overrated for years.

===

If the Haslams were lords of all things UT, how could Chancellor Davenport defy Gov. Bill Haslam on multiple occasions? She has been on the job nine months and has not had a chance to build much political capital, yet she pushed back against Gov. Haslam, who is essentially her boss, when Haslam wanted to outsource facilities management to a Chicago company. She said UT would not take his recommendation.

Raja J. Jubran, a close ally to Bill Haslam, was on the February search committee and voted along with Jimmy Haslam to recommend Currie for AD. Davenport has essentially fired “the family” pick in Currie.

So what of the Haslams' legacy in Knoxville?

It’s intact and should stay that way for years and years. Just drive through the campus, and the name “Haslam” cuts through the windshield. From the Business School to the School of Music to the athletic practice fields, the name tells a story. Drive the streets and highways, and there is the ubiquitous red and yellow “Pilot” sign for the gas stations.

Tim Priest, who played defensive back for Tennessee from 1968-1970 and is the color analyst on radio broadcasts, said Jim Haslam “has been generous in every way you can think of in this town and with the university.” Listen to Priest talk about Jim Haslam and he doesn’t seem to regard him as an overbearing power broker.

The takeaway? Jimmy Haslam has blundered along with the Browns and was managing his father’s company when the fraud scandal broke out. He can’t escape that. His father is dismayed that the family somehow brought shame to UT football over the Schiano episode. Is it a lasting burden on the Haslam legacy? It shouldn’t be. The Schiano/Currie/Davenport story would have to grow more legs for that to happen. Sixty years of goodwill is a tough foundation to crack.

Top photo courtesy of David Richard

===

Part 1: Trials and tumultuous times of Jimmy Haslam’s reign

Part 3: Epitome of Jimmy Haslam era: How disastrous 2014 NFL Draft unfolded

Part 4: FBI investigation: What awaits Jimmy Haslam as trial proceeds for former Pilot Flying J employees?
2009 NFL Pick 'em Champion
SOTSG Fantasy Basketball (Almost Entirely) 2012 Champion
2015 SOTSG NFL Survivor Champion, Part 2
2015 SOTSG Death Pool Co-Champion
2017 SOTSG Fantasy Basketball Champion
mj3528
#QM

Postby Colonel Angus » 22 Dec 2017, 13:01

Thank you for posting, mj.

mj3528 wrote:Asked about the rock and “Tennessee Browns” being used as a cudgel against his family, Jim Haslam chuckled as if it is ludicrous to think the Vols are now the pits of the SEC.

“We weren’t that bad,” he said of the winless SEC season and 4-8 record in 2017, citing close losses to Florida, South Carolina and Kentucky.

It was our worst season in over 125 years of playing football. But sure, Jim - we weren't as bad as the team your son owns that is the laughingstock of the NFL.
- _, on Roberto Duran.
Colonel Angus
Pun DMC

PreviousNext

Return to College Sports