my failure is the best failure: the Vols thread

Re: my failure is the best failure: the Vols thread

Postby Colonel Angus » 30 Oct 2016, 01:42

ONTB wrote:Owed you that one.

LOL, tru. Congrats for the win.

Guh, this team...
"Isn't it no, baas or something? That's how I read it in a boxing book. It's South African or something."
- _, on Roberto Duran.
_ - Sun Jan 31 5:06 pm:
"it was such a sexy goal, that punched me right in the balls. metaphorically"
Colonel Angus
Pun DMC

Postby ONTB » 30 Oct 2016, 12:44

Hearing some rumblings from vols fans I know that Butch has to win out in the regular season to keep his job. Not sure I buy that; I'd guess he's pretty safe. I don't think Dobbs is all that good and they've done what they can with a really average QB. Not sure who is in the pipeline at that position though.
[Mon 0:15] ONTB: Why can't the whole fucking cast come up? I want to hear what Marky Marky has to say
[Mon 0:16] Clayton Bigsby: "i'd like to thank the funky bunch"
ONTB
The Bomb Dick

Postby Colonel Angus » 30 Oct 2016, 13:22

ONTB wrote:Hearing some rumblings from vols fans I know that Butch has to win out in the regular season to keep his job. Not sure I buy that; I'd guess he's pretty safe. I don't think Dobbs is all that good and they've done what they can with a really average QB. Not sure who is in the pipeline at that position though.

Fans, per usual, don't really know anything. I don't see any scenario that doesn't involve arrests or NCAA investigations where Butch isn't back next year.

I suppose it's possible he could pull a Cuonzo and leave on his own, but I can't imagine anyone offering him more money than we're paying him. And his buyout is cost-prohibitive.

DeBord probably takes the fall though. People around here are blaming him and it's true he sucks but Butch is the one who hired him and he's running Butch's offense.

Dobbs is a great runner but a terrible passer. Apparently passing is kind of important at that position. Who knew? We have a true freshman who's supposed to be a stud but they're trying to redshirt him.

Fun times on Rocky Top as always...
"Isn't it no, baas or something? That's how I read it in a boxing book. It's South African or something."
- _, on Roberto Duran.
Colonel Angus
Pun DMC

Postby ONTB » 30 Oct 2016, 15:47

Yeah, seems like some of the fans want to invalidate the importance of the wins over UGA and UF, given how each occurred, as flukey, with the last three games showing no real progress has been made. As long as they don't completely collapse here at th end, I suspect some perspective will show this as a good year for you all. Especially if he's still tracking toward a top 10 recruiting class.
[Mon 0:15] ONTB: Why can't the whole fucking cast come up? I want to hear what Marky Marky has to say
[Mon 0:16] Clayton Bigsby: "i'd like to thank the funky bunch"
ONTB
The Bomb Dick

Postby Colonel Angus » 30 Oct 2016, 16:05

ONTB wrote:Yeah, seems like some of the fans want to invalidate the importance of the wins over UGA and UF, given how each occurred, as flukey, with the last three games showing no real progress has been made. As long as they don't completely collapse here at th end, I suspect some perspective will show this as a good year for you all. Especially if he's still tracking toward a top 10 recruiting class.

I try not to pay attention to recruiting until much closer to NSD, but the indications I'm hearing are that we do not have a good class lined up right now. I'm pretty much convinced that Butch isn't the guy but I know I'm stuck with him for a while. Finally beating Florida was a milestone for the program but I really don't think they (or Georgia) are any good this year so I'm not really sure what it proved. Bottom line is that we should have won the East this year at minimum, injuries or not.
- _, on Roberto Duran.
Colonel Angus
Pun DMC

Postby JichaelDick » 30 Oct 2016, 16:29

Not for nothing, you're 0-3 since Tennessee stole that dude's Copperhead Road montage idea then cease-and-desisted him.

Sorry, I'll stop beating that drum...
TVF wannabe - Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:42 pm: ...a good rule of thumb is if you post some thing like that and IMS quickly jumps in with an uncomfortable reference you went too far
JichaelDick
Delightful Nutjob

Postby Colonel Angus » 31 Oct 2016, 08:01

Latest rumor is that Jalen Hurd quit the team. Boy, this thing went south in a hurry, didn't it?
- _, on Roberto Duran.
Colonel Angus
Pun DMC

Postby Briandong79 » 31 Oct 2016, 08:37

Colonel Angus wrote:Latest rumor is that Jalen Hurd quit the team. Boy, this thing went south in a hurry, didn't it?

I saw something on Twitter that was unscheduled meeting and multiple people quitting. Ts&Ps Colonel.
PhillyJim76 - Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:20 am: X?I wrote a disturbing clueless fan fiction story that got me in hot water in college
Briandong79
Beep Boop

Postby SouthernYokel » 31 Oct 2016, 08:41

a loss to the muschamp gamecocks will do that.

this reminds me of the 1992 game when our mullet won and it got Johnny Majors fired. SC is the mendoza line of football losses again. \:D/
JT99 wrote:imagine working your entire board life on being a guy investigating every nook and cranny of others' sexual lives only to have some drunken baboon stumble into the r&t jackpot
SouthernYokel
Hank the Hangover Turtle

Postby Colonel Angus » 31 Oct 2016, 09:01

SouthernYokel wrote:a loss to the muschamp gamecocks will do that.

this reminds me of the 1992 game when our mullet won and it got Johnny Majors fired. SC is the mendoza line of football losses again. \:D/

I saw something on Twitter recently - and I'm pretty sure it's true - that every loss to the Cocks going back to 1992 has been followed by the firing of a head coach or coordinator. You should recall that a loss to Spurrier is what sealed Fulmer's doom as well.

I appreciate the Ts & Ps, Brian, but honestly this kind of chaos is almost as fun as being good at football. We won't be winning any championships while Saban is in Tuscaloosa anyway, so it might as well be entertaining the other six days of the week.

The Hurd thing has been confirmed, by the way.

Jimmy Hyams
‏@JimmyHyams
Sources: Tennessee running back Jalen Hurd told teammates last night he plans to transfer and play receiver or tight end at his new school
9:19 AM - 31 Oct 2016

:lol: Good luck with that, Jalen.
- _, on Roberto Duran.
Colonel Angus
Pun DMC

Postby SouthernYokel » 31 Oct 2016, 09:05

Colonel Angus wrote:

I saw something on Twitter recently - and I'm pretty sure it's true - that every loss to the Cocks going back to 1992 has been followed by the firing of a head coach or coordinator. You should recall that a loss to Spurrier is what sealed Fulmer's doom as well.

I appreciate the Ts & Ps, Brian, but honestly this kind of chaos is almost as fun as being good at football. We won't be winning any championships while Saban is in Tuscaloosa anyway, so it might as well be entertaining the other six days of the week.

Jimmy Hyams
‏@JimmyHyams
Sources: Tennessee running back Jalen Hurd told teammates last night he plans to transfer and play receiver or tight end at his new school

we won 3 straight from 2010 - 2012, that was probably during the kiffin/dooley-pocalypse but i don't think there was a firing 3 straight years.
JT99 wrote:imagine working your entire board life on being a guy investigating every nook and cranny of others' sexual lives only to have some drunken baboon stumble into the r&t jackpot
SouthernYokel
Hank the Hangover Turtle

Postby Colonel Angus » 31 Oct 2016, 09:08

SouthernYokel wrote:
Colonel Angus wrote:

Jimmy Hyams
‏@JimmyHyams

we won 3 straight from 2010 - 2012, that was probably during the kiffin/dooley-pocalypse but i don't think there was a firing 3 straight years.

You are correct. I went back to the source and I misstated it. It is actually:

Any time we've had a team that was ranked at any point

in the season and lost to South Carolina, we've fired a coach.

1992- Majors
2005 - Sanders
2008 - Fulmer
2012 - Dooley
- _, on Roberto Duran.
Colonel Angus
Pun DMC

Postby SouthernYokel » 31 Oct 2016, 09:12

haha. I did not understand Sanders. "Fulmer was the coach in 2005 right? Who the fuck is 'Sanders'? Oh 'A' coach, not 'The' coach."
SouthernYokel
Hank the Hangover Turtle

Postby Colonel Angus » 31 Oct 2016, 09:14

SouthernYokel wrote:haha. I did not understand Sanders. "Fulmer was the coach in 2005 right? Who the fuck is 'Sanders'? Oh 'A' coach, not 'The' coach."

Well, my original (misstated) post DID say head coach or coordinator.
- _, on Roberto Duran.
Colonel Angus
Pun DMC

Postby SouthernYokel » 31 Oct 2016, 09:22

Colonel Angus wrote:
SouthernYokel wrote:haha. I did not understand Sanders. "Fulmer was the coach in 2005 right? Who the fuck is 'Sanders'? Oh 'A' coach, not 'The' coach."

Well, my original (misstated) post DID say head coach or coordinator.

the important thing is we know now that Butch will likely be fired based on this statistical evidence
SouthernYokel
Hank the Hangover Turtle

PreviousNext

Return to College Sports