College Football Playoff Format

Re: College Football Playoff Format

Postby mister bacon » 05 Dec 2017, 13:20

BostonSucksMyBalls wrote:
Colonel Angus wrote:
Briandong79 wrote:It may be possible that the commission will pick whatever criteria it feels is most convenient.

Why should it be any different from the Heisman?

According to ppl I know, Saquon Barkley had won the Heisman earlier this season. Now I see he’s not invited to the ceremony. There must be a mistake.

blame that ginger mcqueery! /goobis
2006 SOTSG ESPN March Madness Tourney Challenge Champion
2010 SOTSG NFL Pick 'Em Champion

mj3528 wrote: I hate panhandlers with dogs. I feel so bad for the dog.

ctz31 - Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:30 pm: I'm gonna win a chip w romo. I'm done w blacks. No offense
mister bacon
Black on Both Sides

Postby MisterTambourineMan » 05 Dec 2017, 14:36

Lotta Rummies going around so who knows but: How to make College Football Playoff Better

It starts by eliminating the conference championship games which were born as a money grab but are now inefficient, too often meaningless and actually stand in the way of a bigger money grab of a bigger playoff.

Eliminate the smaller cash grab for the bigger cash grab - Brilliant!

They are the first round of an eight-team playoff, where the higher-seeded team gets to host. The champions of the five major conferences would be granted automatic bids. If you win your league, you are in. There would be three at-large bids allowed, with one twist. If a non-Power Five club goes unbeaten and the committee ranks it in say, the top 10 or 15 (some number) then that team gets in automatically. Is UCF one of the eight best teams? We don’t really know, but it’s close and allowing an underdog into the tournament is good for the sport. Playoffs are businesses and a Cinderella is good for ratings and interest. Besides, if UCF proves to be a weak No. 8 seed, that is just a benefit the No. 1 seed earned. This year, Clemson’s reward is Alabama on a neutral field that is closer to Alabama. Gee, thanks.

Alright.....I like sneaking UCF in there, good for them, they deserve a shot. But now I'm just thinking this is all a ploy to get USC in and fuck USC.
Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:10 pm Gregs Kite: You tried. Slap that on your resume.
MisterTambourineMan
Now

Postby mj3528 » 05 Dec 2017, 14:44

MisterTambourineMan wrote:Lotta Rummies going around so who knows but: How to make College Football Playoff Better

It starts by eliminating the conference championship games which were born as a money grab but are now inefficient, too often meaningless and actually stand in the way of a bigger money grab of a bigger playoff.

They are the first round of an eight-team playoff, where the higher-seeded team gets to host. The champions of the five major conferences would be granted automatic bids. If you win your league, you are in. There would be three at-large bids allowed, with one twist. If a non-Power Five club goes unbeaten and the committee ranks it in say, the top 10 or 15 (some number) then that team gets in automatically. Is UCF one of the eight best teams? We don’t really know, but it’s close and allowing an underdog into the tournament is good for the sport. Playoffs are businesses and a Cinderella is good for ratings and interest. Besides, if UCF proves to be a weak No. 8 seed, that is just a benefit the No. 1 seed earned. This year, Clemson’s reward is Alabama on a neutral field that is closer to Alabama. Gee, thanks.

Alright.....I like sneaking UCF in there, good for them, they deserve a shot. But now I'm just thinking this is all a ploy to get USC in and fuck USC.

\
The conference championship games no serve a purpose with a 4 team play-off. Under Wetzel's scenario Wisconsin gets in and Ohio State is left out, even though Ohio State just proved they were better than Wisconsin. Also, Auburn is ranked 6 seeds higher than Georgia when they were just beaten by them. Also, just picking Clemson over Miami for the ACC chip before they played.

Lots of flaws.
2009 NFL Pick 'em Champion
SOTSG Fantasy Basketball (Almost Entirely) 2012 Champion
2015 SOTSG NFL Survivor Champion, Part 2
2015 SOTSG Death Pool Co-Champion
2017 SOTSG Fantasy Basketball Champion
mj3528
#QM

Postby SouthernYokel » 05 Dec 2017, 14:47

wait, yeah, how is miami not in the playoff in this scenario where the ACC chip game did not happen?
BostonSucksMyBalls - Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:12 pm: I hope Jax wins next week. If the eagles lose to New England, I’m killing myself on Facebook Live
SouthernYokel
Hank the Hangover Turtle

Postby MisterTambourineMan » 05 Dec 2017, 14:48

mj3528 wrote:
MisterTambourineMan wrote:Lotta Rummies going around so who knows but: How to make College Football Playoff Better

\
The conference championship games no serve a purpose with a 4 team play-off. Under Wetzel's scenario Wisconsin gets in and Ohio State is left out, even though Ohio State just proved they were better than Wisconsin. Also, Auburn is ranked 6 seeds higher than Georgia when they were just beaten by them. Also, just picking Clemson over Miami for the ACC chip before they played.

Lots of flaws.

Concur.

Its a good starting off point I think, but nowhere near a finished product.
MisterTambourineMan
Now

Postby mj3528 » 05 Dec 2017, 14:50

MisterTambourineMan wrote:
mj3528 wrote:

\

Lots of flaws.

Concur.

Its a good starting off point I think, but nowhere near a finished product.

This year establishes the 4 team play-off is superior to an 8 team play-off. after all the games ere played there was some disagreement who should be the 4th team, and the teams left out didn't have a great argument for outrage, pretty much what it has been every year. It has also made the regular season important and made conference chip games mostly relevant. Seems good to me.
mj3528
#QM

Postby TheWolf » 05 Dec 2017, 14:51

We know nothing will ever be near a finished product, right? Someone will always feel left out basically every year, everyone will bitch and moan about it, we'll make up fake scenarios for something better, maybe try one of them after another 5 years or so, and then repeat the whole damn cycle again.
"our kayaking guy sucked and came last"
- SGSW
TheWolf
Hand-Holder

Postby CourtesyFlush » 05 Dec 2017, 14:52

TheWolf wrote:We know nothing will ever be near a finished product, right? Someone will always feel left out basically every year, everyone will bitch and moan about it, we'll make up fake scenarios for something better, maybe try one of them after another 5 years or so, and then repeat the whole damn cycle again.

We'll end up with 16 at some point because #9 in the 8 team field will feel left out.
Gregs Kite - Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:24 pm: I don't know, my Wolfpack can be sneaky good in these games

JichaelDick - Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:47 am: Fulsh, you truly are the best North Carolinian ever. Sorry, Andy Griffith.
CourtesyFlush
Friend of Friends

Postby SouthernYokel » 05 Dec 2017, 14:54

thome, the problem with the 8 team playoff is it makes 10-2 the standard record for entry. There are 15 teams with 10 wins or better this year. with a 4 team playoff you are screwing maybe 2 teams in the worst year. an 8 team playoff would be a huge clusterfuck for the 7 and 8 seed every year. Which, i dunno, maybe that's the fun of it.
BostonSucksMyBalls - Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:12 pm: I hope Jax wins next week. If the eagles lose to New England, I’m killing myself on Facebook Live
SouthernYokel
Hank the Hangover Turtle

Postby mj3528 » 05 Dec 2017, 14:55

CourtesyFlush wrote:
TheWolf wrote:We know nothing will ever be near a finished product, right? Someone will always feel left out basically every year, everyone will bitch and moan about it, we'll make up fake scenarios for something better, maybe try one of them after another 5 years or so, and then repeat the whole damn cycle again.

We'll end up with 16 at some point because #9 in the 8 team field will feel left out.

prolly right and it will not be a good thing. can't wait to the season when teams sit their starters in a rivalry game like Michigan-Ohio State because both teams will qualify for the play-off regardless of the outcome of the game.
mj3528
#QM

Postby JichaelDick » 05 Dec 2017, 14:56

I think the ONLY way I would want 16 is if every conference champ gets in and only 5 at-larges are in play. I'm fine as it is.
TVF wannabe - Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:42 pm: ...a good rule of thumb is if you post some thing like that and IMS quickly jumps in with an uncomfortable reference you went too far
JichaelDick
Delightful Nutjob

Postby MisterTambourineMan » 05 Dec 2017, 14:58

JichaelDick wrote:I think the ONLY way I would want 16 is if every conference champ gets in and only 5 at-larges are in play. I'm fine as it is.

That's quite the pipedream. Kudos.
MisterTambourineMan
Now

Postby CourtesyFlush » 05 Dec 2017, 14:59

SouthernYokel wrote:thome, the problem with the 8 team playoff is it makes 10-2 the standard record for entry. There are 15 teams with 10 wins or better this year. with a 4 team playoff you are screwing maybe 2 teams in the worst year. an 8 team playoff would be a huge clusterfuck for the 7 and 8 seed every year. Which, i dunno, maybe that's the fun of it.

And to mj's point it devalues the all important regular season.

I do think there's some merit to getting rid of conference divisions doe. Paired with keeping the field small (4 or even 6) this makes it more difficult for us to see big regular season matchups between two top-tier P5 teams like OSU/OU the last couple of years. More P5 teams will schedule cupcakes.
Gregs Kite - Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:24 pm: I don't know, my Wolfpack can be sneaky good in these games

JichaelDick - Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:47 am: Fulsh, you truly are the best North Carolinian ever. Sorry, Andy Griffith.
CourtesyFlush
Friend of Friends

Postby mj3528 » 05 Dec 2017, 15:01

CourtesyFlush wrote:
SouthernYokel wrote:thome, the problem with the 8 team playoff is it makes 10-2 the standard record for entry. There are 15 teams with 10 wins or better this year. with a 4 team playoff you are screwing maybe 2 teams in the worst year. an 8 team playoff would be a huge clusterfuck for the 7 and 8 seed every year. Which, i dunno, maybe that's the fun of it.

And to mj's point it devalues the all important regular season.

I do think there's some merit to getting rid of conference divisions doe. Paired with keeping the field small (4 or even 6) this makes it more difficult for us to see big regular season matchups between two top-tier P5 teams like OSU/OU the last couple of years. More P5 teams will schedule cupcakes.

This is why the committee needs to reward strength of schedule more. I think they did a good job of that the year they told Baylor and TCU to go fuck themselves. This year Bama seemed to get rewarded for paying Mercer, but in fairness they scheduled what was believed to be a tough Florida State team.
mj3528
#QM

Postby chrisco » 05 Dec 2017, 15:13

You guys got a great sport going here. None of you are happy with how you chose a champion, yet you all think you have championship caliber programs, and shitcan your coaches on the reg when they can't win a title that you can't decide on the criteria for.
BostonSucksMyBalls - Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:03 am: I listen bc ive listened for about 25 years. I need to see this stupid thing thru.
chrisco
Madoff

PreviousNext

Return to College Sports