The Amazing Race

Cause it has to have its own section....

The Amazing Race

Postby firstborn » 14 Nov 2004, 20:47

While not a Sports Guy staple (from what I recall) I'm curious if anyone else watches this as the new season is starting this week I believe.

I haven't followed every season but the last one was ridiculously entertaining. There was this one guy Colin who was more or less a psycho but he was a machine in the tasks they had to perform. He'd yell at his girlfriend, sulk like a baby and then kill a chalenge.

He didn't win though but he was responsible for one of the most hilarious Reality TV moments of all time when they had to "steer" an ox dragging some sort of net (or something, can't remember) over a mud pit to find something. He tried doing it all himself and freaked out yelling "My ox is broken!!!"

It's on CBS so even Tim can watch it.
firstborn
Site Admin

Postby Guest » 16 Nov 2004, 16:49

Great fan of The Aamazing Race here. I think the right people won last season. I couldn't stand Colin of Colin & Christie but he was good. In the end the married parents won it even though the guy had to do everything and his wife just sort of dragged along. But I liked them, and this is one of the first seasons where I really liked the winners.

Anyway, new season starts today, let's see if we can get something started in terms of discussion here.

Postby firstborn » 16 Nov 2004, 18:18

Damn you Guest! You found the only section that I forgot to take Guest posting priveleges off of. Anyway welcome, please sign up, let us know who you are and we can laugh at this year's Amazing Race here.
firstborn
Site Admin

Postby MRh » 16 Nov 2004, 22:05

Wow, this dude Jonathan makes Colin look like a nice guy. How do these women stay with these jokers?

-Bitter, single
"On any day I can be anyone's daddy."

-Pedro Martinez
MRh
n00b

Postby firstborn » 17 Nov 2004, 11:44

Victoria!!!!!!!
firstborn
Site Admin

Amazing Race Contestants

Postby Frank the Tank » 18 Nov 2004, 13:16

I love Amazing Race, but it does seem like they're always trying to put together similar groups. You've got:

1) The fighting couple, always yelling at each other.
2) The hot young-ish chicks.
3) The long-distance relationship.
4) The brothers/friends from New York City.
5) The token old people.
6) The dating models.
7) The formerly dating couple.
8) The minority couple.
9) The extremely religious couple.

Then the other couples are usually attributable to one of those above categories as well. Kudos to them for finding the wrestlers (though they seem like they might morph into a fighting couple), who may be the most interesting team since the clowns Jon and Al from season four.

For Amazing Race 7 they should really try to go outside the box. Maybe try to change the teams significantly, including groups like:

1) The professional curlers.
2) The struggling stand-up comedians.
3) The hot young-ish chicks (okay, so I'm in favor of keeping that one).
4) The foul-mouthed truck drivers.
5) The clearly stoned slackers.
6) The paroled felons who didn't have permission to leave the country.
7) Mr. Met and Mrs. Met.
8) Bill Simmons and Tim McCarver.

etc.
Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet

Re: Amazing Race Contestants

Postby T-Mac » 22 Nov 2004, 16:21

I agree with you that they tend to go with the same stereotypical pairs each time (and it seems like this season's cast is more heavily weighted toward the young actor/model types). I was most impressed by the older couple (Don & Mary Jean) - considering they're in their late 60's they made it up the ice wall quite quickly!

Definitely could use some more intriguing combinations - can you imagine if they did a celebrity/pro-athlete version? Had Papi & Manny out there against Peyton & Eli and Jeter & A-Rod? I could see Papi & Manny casually making it through, just barely not getting eliminated every time. Peyton & Eli would overthink and over-analyze every clue, but would most likely end up way out front, and Jeter & A-Rod would be the bickering couple that provides tons of unintentional comedy :D
T-Mac
Doug Christie

Postby Tecmo Bo » 22 Nov 2004, 16:27

Arod & Varitek
Pedro & Zimmer
Lucchino & Steinbrenner
McCarver & Jeter's penis
bosux191820042090: what kills more is that now more than ever the team needs him[A-Rod] to put it on his back, and he can't...i hate to say this, but if given a choice i would rather have ortiz on my team any day
Tecmo Bo
The Bomb Dick

Postby Frank the Tank » 24 Nov 2004, 09:42

I wonder if they were warned before the show that they really need to know how to drive stick-shift cars?

I think during their contestant interviews they probably look for people who can demonstrate a repeated ability to lose their temper within two seconds. If you can't meet that requirement you either have to look good in a bikini or be the Token Old Couple.
Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet

Postby Tecmo Bo » 24 Nov 2004, 10:34

Basically they just grab the worst example of any given stereotype, like with any reality TV show. Be it rednecks, surfers or token gay people.
bosux191820042090: what kills more is that now more than ever the team needs him[A-Rod] to put it on his back, and he can't...i hate to say this, but if given a choice i would rather have ortiz on my team any day
Tecmo Bo
The Bomb Dick

Postby MRh » 24 Nov 2004, 12:42

Tecmo Bo wrote:Basically they just grab the worst example of any given stereotype, like with any reality TV show. Be it rednecks, surfers or token gay people.

Or the best. How about the juxtaposition of the Mormon sisters? Both models, but one is religious and the other is a party girl.

Hope they hang in there or I'll lose my reason(s) to watch.

Also, I hope Bolo bodyslams Jonathan at some point. I feel bad for Botox.

-Pedro Martinez
MRh
n00b

Postby firstborn » 24 Nov 2004, 14:07

Wow those Google ads sure are helpful... who knew that Victoria was Playboy's Miss January 1996?
firstborn
Site Admin

Postby MRh » 27 Nov 2004, 11:15

firstborn wrote:Wow those Google ads sure are helpful... who knew that Victoria was Playboy's Miss January 1996?

So by "Married Entrepreneurs" they really mean rich a**hole and his trophy wife?

-Pedro Martinez
MRh
n00b

Postby Frank the Tank » 01 Dec 2004, 08:10

MRh? wrote:So by "Married Entrepreneurs" they really mean rich a**hole and his trophy wife?

I'm sure she was a trophy at one point, but not any more.

Last night's episode was a good one. I was totally shocked by the team that lost. Not a good game show night for contestants from Utah.
Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet

Postby firstborn » 01 Dec 2004, 11:32

Yeah they were easy on the eyes. Imagine the bad luck/eyesight to have to go through 100 bales of hay? 7 hours? Wow.

Those grandparents sure don't give up though.
firstborn
Site Admin

Next

Return to Reality TV