Mythbusters

Cause it has to have its own section....

Mythbusters

Postby Brick Tamland » 11 Jun 2007, 20:05

Been watching this Discovery Channel show pretty sporadically for the past year, always liked it when I watched it, but have really gotten into it the past couple of weeks as they've done a couple of mini-marathons.

The basic premise is the 2 main guys are Hollywood special effects vets who have taken it upon themselves to either prove or disprove all manner of myths -- if you're in a falling elevator and jump up at the last second will you survive? could pirates really jab a dagger into a ship mast and ride it down? -- frequently blowing up shit in the process.

Very entertaining pseudo-science. Plus there's a pretty cute red-headed broad who's one of their assistants.
](*,)

2012 SOTSG Pro Football Pick'em Champeen
2007 SOTSG Pro Football Pick'em Champeen
Brick Tamland
The Bomb Dick

Postby SouthernYokel » 12 Jun 2007, 08:15

the guy with the beret and silly mustache is just too much for me. I can't watch him talk for more than a minute. He's like some weird french board game character. Jacques the Monopoly Man.
JT99 wrote:imagine working your entire board life on being a guy investigating every nook and cranny of others' sexual lives only to have some drunken baboon stumble into the r&t jackpot
SouthernYokel
Hank the Hangover Turtle

Postby jack_daniels » 21 Jun 2007, 22:49

This show is really really awesome. Like the type of show you watch at 2am drunk and FLABBERGASTED.

So the only logical thing to do is watch a show about physics and chemistry and shit. Makes perfect sense.
jack_daniels
Turban Legend

Postby Theny » 22 Jun 2007, 08:22

Anyone ever see the one where they debunked the myth that if you put the tailgate down on your truck it makes your gas mileage better? I still don't believe that.
Theny
Anchor Baby Daddy

Postby Brick Tamland » 22 Jun 2007, 10:20

Theny wrote:Anyone ever see the one where they debunked the myth that if you put the tailgate down on your truck it makes your gas mileage better? I still don't believe that.

It actually makes sense.... if the tailgate is up, a cushion of air gets trapped in the truck bed and keeps the air coming over the roof from going down and effectively lowers the trucks drag coefficient.
](*,)

2012 SOTSG Pro Football Pick'em Champeen
2007 SOTSG Pro Football Pick'em Champeen
Brick Tamland
The Bomb Dick

Re: Mythbusters

Postby Briandong79 » 29 Jul 2008, 00:26

I don't think I even realized we had a thread devoted to this show, but I really love this show. And I'd love to bust Kari Byron's myth.
PhillyJim76 - Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:20 am: X?I wrote a disturbing clueless fan fiction story that got me in hot water in college
Briandong79
Beep Boop

Postby TheWolf » 29 Jul 2008, 08:03

Briandean79 wrote:I don't think I even realized we had a thread devoted to this show, but I really love this show. And I'd love to bust Kari Byron's myth.

That was pretty funny. I'm also a fan of this show, but I'm pretty sure nobody likes it as much as my TiVo does. It gets recorded at like 6 times a week. I've never recorded it intentionally, and I usually watch it on the TV that doesn't have the TiVo on it; hell, I don't think I've even marked it with a thumbs up or anything. But somehow TiVo has fallen in love with it and makes sure to record it as often as possible.
"our kayaking guy sucked and came last"
- SGSW
TheWolf
Hand-Holder

Postby Frank the Tank » 29 Jul 2008, 08:05

TheWolf wrote:
Briandean79 wrote:I don't think I even realized we had a thread devoted to this show, but I really love this show. And I'd love to bust Kari Byron's myth.

That was pretty funny. I'm also a fan of this show, but I'm pretty sure nobody likes it as much as my TiVo does. It gets recorded at like 6 times a week. I've never recorded it intentionally, and I usually watch it on the TV that doesn't have the TiVo on it; hell, I don't think I've even marked it with a thumbs up or anything. But somehow TiVo has fallen in love with it and makes sure to record it as often as possible.

I finally gave it a thumbs down on my TiVo for the same reason. It's a good show, and I like it and all, but without the thumbs down I was getting episode after episode after episode.
2015 SOTSG Fantasy Football Champion

BostonSucksMyBalls 11/2/2016: "I hate the internet. No accountability. Just a wasteland of shitheads."
Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet

Postby bosux » 30 Jul 2008, 08:57

by bosux » 02 Mar 2016, 13:34
if the democratic power machine is so tone deaf as to foist $hrillary upon the electorate they will lose to Trump...bet on it
bosux
Dr. Poop

Postby Briandong79 » 22 Aug 2014, 08:36

Kari, Grant and Tori are leaving the show, they're apparently going in a new direction. I think the show is kind of just hanging on at this point, but I was surprised to hear they were leaving.
PhillyJim76 - Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:20 am: X?I wrote a disturbing clueless fan fiction story that got me in hot water in college
Briandong79
Beep Boop

Postby Frank the Tank » 23 Aug 2014, 08:54

Briandong79 wrote:Kari, Grant and Tori are leaving the show, they're apparently going in a new direction. I think the show is kind of just hanging on at this point, but I was surprised to hear they were leaving.

Byron's tweet suggested they were pushed. Science teachers everywhere still love this show, but I agree it seems to be getting tougher and tougher for them to come up with relevant ideas they haven't done before.
2015 SOTSG Fantasy Football Champion

BostonSucksMyBalls 11/2/2016: "I hate the internet. No accountability. Just a wasteland of shitheads."
Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet

Postby Briandong79 » 15 Jun 2016, 14:04

This is pretty hilarious. Plus Kari is hot.

http://www.discovery.com/tv-shows/mythb ... ium=social
Briandong79
Beep Boop

Postby Iron Mike Sharpe » 06 Sep 2016, 14:10

Briandong79 wrote:Kari, Grant and Tori are leaving the show, they're apparently going in a new direction. I think the show is kind of just hanging on at this point, but I was surprised to hear they were leaving.

They are getting a Netflix series.

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/09/05/my ... it-project
Iron Mike Sharpe
Full of good cheer

Return to Reality TV