2016 Fantasy Baseball

Fantasy Sports

2016 Fantasy Baseball

Postby TheWolf » 09 Apr 2016, 08:27

Early-season controversy brewing in the Wolf/Rickey/MTM league. By now you know about my friend that no one likes. He's obviously at the center of this...

Yesterday a trade went through (We have no review/veto system becasuse vetoes are dumb; I say let people run their teams as they see fit). He gets Stanton and Harvey (and Harvey at a very good price to be a keeper for at least 2-3 more years), and he gives up David Price and Jean Segura.

Despite normally being a dick, he immediately texted me that he felt guilty about this one. Apparently the other owner made this offer, and he couldn't click Accept fast enough. But since he's never met the other owner, he's now asking me if the guy knows what he's doing, wondering maybe if he's new to fantasy and doesn't realize that he got ripped off.

Of course the emails immediately started flying about what a joke this deal was. I've yet to hear from the other owner, but someone else in the league talked to him and got the following explanation: He was sick of the one-sided trade offers coming from my buddy and hoped to expose him by making a lopsided deal. What the fuck? Everyone knows he makes terrible offers all the time, so there's nothing to expose. You gain nothing by giving up your two best players and not getting nearly enough in return. What's your end game here?

Do I do anything here? It's bad for the league to let such a one-sided deal go through, especially considering the guy getting Stanton and Harvey already had by far the best team in the league and the other team sucks. But I mean... You had some sort of fucked up logic for making a deal that you knew was bad for your team; don't I have to let you do that?

ETA: I guess the controversy is over. He gave Stanton back and took Wellington Castillo as a throw-in instead. That was pretty anticlimactic.
"our kayaking guy sucked and came last"
- SGSW
TheWolf
Hand-Holder

Re: 2016 Fantasy Baseball

Postby MisterTambourineMan » 11 Apr 2016, 09:21

TheWolf wrote:Early-season controversy brewing in the Wolf/Rickey/MTM league. By now you know about my friend that no one likes. He's obviously at the center of this...

Yesterday a trade went through (We have no review/veto system becasuse vetoes are dumb; I say let people run their teams as they see fit). He gets Stanton and Harvey (and Harvey at a very good price to be a keeper for at least 2-3 more years), and he gives up David Price and Jean Segura.

Despite normally being a dick, he immediately texted me that he felt guilty about this one. Apparently the other owner made this offer, and he couldn't click Accept fast enough. But since he's never met the other owner, he's now asking me if the guy knows what he's doing, wondering maybe if he's new to fantasy and doesn't realize that he got ripped off.

Of course the emails immediately started flying about what a joke this deal was. I've yet to hear from the other owner, but someone else in the league talked to him and got the following explanation: He was sick of the one-sided trade offers coming from my buddy and hoped to expose him by making a lopsided deal. What the fuck? Everyone knows he makes terrible offers all the time, so there's nothing to expose. You gain nothing by giving up your two best players and not getting nearly enough in return. What's your end game here?

Do I do anything here? It's bad for the league to let such a one-sided deal go through, especially considering the guy getting Stanton and Harvey already had by far the best team in the league and the other team sucks. But I mean... You had some sort of fucked up logic for making a deal that you knew was bad for your team; don't I have to let you do that?

ETA: I guess the controversy is over. He gave Stanton back and took Wellington Castillo as a throw-in instead. That was pretty anticlimactic.

Ha, that is some fucked-up logic on the noobs' part. I just respond to his shit with Billy Hamilton for Bryce Harper - not sure why he turns that down.

Tossing Stanton back to him was interesting. Has your friend actually learned self-awareness?
TheWolf - Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:02 pm: BREAKING: wolfette did not come home to blow me
Briandong79 - Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:02 pm: 31, you're up.
MisterTambourineMan
Now

Postby TheWolf » 11 Apr 2016, 09:25

You'll be happy to know that he has not learned self-awareness, and rationalized giving Stanton back with logic that makes him sound like an even bigger dickhead. Something along the lines of, "I don't want my championship to be marred by all you guys saying I only won by taking advantage of the new guy in a lopsided trade."
- SGSW
TheWolf
Hand-Holder

Postby ctz31 » 11 Apr 2016, 09:48

Used that fantasy alarm site or w.e. its called this year to guide my drafts. Paid $19.99 for it. Wanted to try something different. My drafts turned out drastly different than when i use my usual method of have no plan and play it by ear. Currently sitting 10 out of 10 in all three leagues through week 1. gt's.

I also was in 563rd out of 563 people as of close of business Saturday in a masters pool, and finished in 561st. How impressive is that? And i finished 71st out of 73 in my NCAA bracket pool this year. I'm on a roll. I did select Trevor Story in the last round of my home run pool, so that is working out so far.
ctz31
Witty Rank TBD

Postby MisterTambourineMan » 11 Apr 2016, 09:54

TheWolf wrote:You'll be happy to know that he has not learned self-awareness, and rationalized giving Stanton back with logic that makes him sound like an even bigger dickhead. Something along the lines of, "I don't want my championship to be marred by all you guys saying I only won by taking advantage of the new guy in a lopsided trade."

what a dick.
TheWolf - Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:02 pm: BREAKING: wolfette did not come home to blow me
MisterTambourineMan
Now

Postby MisterTambourineMan » 18 Apr 2016, 09:00

TheWolf - Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:47 am: oh yeha, fantasy baseball, i'll probably get to that... feel free to make your own post on the topic

FINE THEN JESUS WOLF YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO BE ON THIS.

Wolf's friend that nobody likes asked a dude to leave the league. 2 weeks into the season. And the dude did. I'm not sure where the dipshittery starts and end with that one, man. And shit went even more off the rails, some other guy threatened to quit and Wolf's friend was acting like a King Kong dick, like holy shit this fucking guy makes Mags' MIL seem refreshing and I'm all

laughing at this long ass email thread of grown ass men whining about fake baseball trades. Don't get me wrong, Wolf's friend that nobody likes is a two ton, megatron blast radius of douche but simmer the fuck down other people whining. Call the spade a spade and move on with your day like a normal individual. But noooo, I gotta get 15 emails.

In all seriousness, Wolf's friend that nobody likes is the goddamned worst. I actively root against good things happening to him. I hope his car runs out of gas on the highway. I want him to get an anal wart right at the center so every time he wipes it hurts and bleeds and he thinks twice about taking a shit. I pray that his children major in English.

And fuck the other dude for quitting. Mark ass pansy bitch.
MisterTambourineMan
Now

Postby TheWolf » 21 Apr 2016, 08:52

There’s literally zero chance anyone wants to read this whole thing, but someone (Bix?) asked for the full transcript of the Jared Papers in the shoutbox the other day. And my wife and Mags' MIL are getting lonely; this place needs a new villain. So here you go.

Names have been changed to protect the innocent. No they haven't, there are no innocents. And FTT's the only one who knows any of these people in real life, so hopefully I'm not burning any bridges there. But you guys asked for a saga, so here you go.

A basic timeline for the backstory:
  • 4/8: Bill sends Stanton and Harvey to Jared for Price and Segura. A couple people send emails that this trade is bullshit. Bill explains this to me by saying, “It was me just frustrated with his relentless pursuit of Matt Harvey so I wanted to toss a lopsided trade counter in his favor to get the league chatting. Seems to have worked.” Uhhhh, OK?
  • 4/9: Jared sends snarky email to Bill, offering to give Stanton back to make the trade fair. Bill accepts.
  • 4/9-4/13: Bill basically never has a full active lineup. Apparently there is some correspondence between Bill and Jared. I don’t have the transcript, but I’m told Jared essentially asked him to quit if he couldn’t be bothered to be competitive 2 weeks into the season.
  • 4/13: Jared posts to league message board: “It’s week 2, set your line ups…”
  • 4/14 1:15PM: Tim sends the first email in the chain below.
  • 4/14 2:30PM: Bill trades Stanton and Rick Porcello to Brian (one of 4 people in the league who he is friends with IRL, which makes it look even more egregious in hindsight) for Sonny Gray and Joc Pederson.
  • 4/14 4:00PM: Bill sends the email saying he's quitting.
  • 4/14-4/15: The email chain below - now known as The Jared Papers - occurs
  • 4/21: I'm reversing all of the trades that Bill made.

Goddamn I fucking hate being a fantasy commissioner. People suck.

And here's the full transcript...

Tim wrote: Hey GetMeVaughn (Bill)-

I know we got off on the wrong foot because I berated you while I was under the influence of some whiskey for your trade with Sargent Jared, for that I apologize.

I would like to know a couple of things though...

Since youve traded for David Price he has not left your bench - how come? Perhaps you were anticipating his poor start this week and kept him on the bench on purpose - unlikely, but impressive if so! My other question is why Shin Soo Choo has remained in your active lineup since he went on the DL this past weekend and have kept Giancarlo Stanton on the bench - all the while have not started anybody in your Utility spot since last Friday while keeping 5 active offensive players on the bench?

Bill wrote:Fraser…. Because of your boy Jared who has clearly gotten under my skin and a few other’s in the league. I am gracefully stepping down as manager of my team. I was not here to sabotage the league or ignore my team, but to have to listen to this B S on a continual bases does not encourage me to continue putting in the effort.
Sorry buddy, enjoyed my time in the league. Please keep my money that I have sent you!!

Jared wrote: Thank you Bill,
although I'm sure this wasn't your ideal exit I appreciate you respecting the rest of the league enough to bow out. This is a competitive league and there just isn't any room for an owner who is going to make bad trades because they are "frustrated" by receiving trade offers from other owners. Baseball is a long season compared to football so a novice player may struggle with the constant grind but not setting a lineup for weeks at a time can really screw a roto league over. So again thank you, and I hope you know it's nothing personal.
Best of luck

Jeff wrote: Jared....I don't know you but you annoy the fuck out of me. I know EVERYONE else in the league agrees. The fact that you asked someone to leave the league when you're problem, pisses me off so bad. If your shit continues I'm gonna bail too.

Jared wrote: I know Jeff, the nerve of me to ask someone who hasn't set there lineup in the first 2 weeks of the season to leave after I find out that they made a trade because they were annoyed by the fact that they were getting trade offers.... Clearly I'm the issue

Jeff wrote: You're relentless with the trade offers. You've literally sent me the same exact trade offer again after I've declined it. And they're not even close to fair offers. Who can blame someone for getting fed up and annoyed?

Tambo wrote: Image

Jared wrote: Guilty as charged, I send out a lot of offers, and I get no response, I would rather have a dialogue about a trade and value but this league isn't active so that doesn't happen I'm sorry I'm active, but there's no banter in this league, it's just unusual for me, but by all means do what you've got to do Jeff, don't let me hold you back

Tim wrote: Love the amount of email activity today

Jared wrote: On a side note I really enjoy the "EVERYONE" agrees hyperbole.... If you feel some type of way then just own it, don't try and hide behind the group mentality approach, it's not a good look, besides I'm at least 37% sure not EVERYONE agrees.... A majority probably, but not EVERYONE, you're giving me way to much credit

Tambo wrote:Image

Wolf wrote: For fuck's sake... This is supposed to be fun, guys. Everyone knows Jared relentlessly sends shitty trade offers. This is nothing new, and I assume it's not going to stop any time soon. We also know he's probably the most active player in the league, genuinely gives a shit about winning, and will always try even if his team sucks, which is really all I'm looking for out of a fantasy player. I'd love to find a happy medium, because I don't like most of his trade offers either. But as annoying as anyone may find him, no one is forcing you to trade with him.
I don't agree with the way Bill handled those offers, but I fully understand and respect his decision to bow out if he doesn't want to put up with something that bothers him and/or doesn't want to make the commitment to the full time job that roto baseball can be.

Jared, it's not your fault Bill chose to make a bad trade out of frustration, which still makes no sense to me. But it's on you if no one wants to trade with you because they don't like the way you handle the whole process.

Let's all act like adults here and just play the fucking game. This has been a fun league for years, and I'd love to keep that going. If anyone has an issue with anything anyone else is doing, please let me know. I'll do my best to keep everyone happy, but I'm not gonna be anyone's babysitter either.

Bill, I'm sorry to see you go, but there's certainly no hard feelings from me and I hope everyone else feels the same way. If anyone knows someone who would be willing to take over Bill's team, send me their contact info. In the meantime, I'll take the role of setting an active lineup every day for his team using his available players, and will start all of his probable stating pitchers. I'm not making any FA pickups for him or anything, but will at least try to field a full team whenever possible.

Tim wrote: Before we have to go back to being adults i just want to be on the record that Jared annoys me

Jared wrote: I would like to point out that I've completed 61 trades in this league which is almost double the next most by any team... So I guess not everyone thinks they're shitty....

With that being said, if anybody would like me to stop sending them offers please feel free to send me an email and let me know and I will be sure to add you to my "do not trade" list.... However if I do not hear from you, you can expect the usual amount of offers...

and Tim, I haven't sent you any offers because you don't have any good players....

Thank you Brian?

Tim wrote: So just to confirm - the league is A-OK with Bill trading away the best homerun hitter in the world after not setting a lineup for a week and then quitting 10 minutes later?

Jared wrote: Brian, since my previous trade with our departed was obviously bull shit, I'd like to suggest either reversing it and giving the new owner the option of accepting or leaving it as is and giving the new owner the option of reversing it if he likes... feel like it's only fair for him to have the option

Jay wrote: Ahhh it's an April Festivus this year. And the annual airing of grievances has begun.

The holiday has crept up on me so I will air mine tomorrow, the second day of Festivus.

Just a thought for now - trade proposals will cost the team/owner a dollar. If you leave a guy who is on the floor in an active position for two days you will also be charged a dollar. If your team name is not hilarious - one dollar per time that I read it. If you didn't drink during the draft you will be charged one dollar for each drink under four. Unless you are in a program - in that case keep up the good work. Anyone rooting for the royals/Yankees/ Phillys - one dollar. If you don't rub Fraser's belly at some point during the season - one dollar. All proceeds will go to the state troopers benevolent fund.

Enjoy the night boys! Can't wait to kick your Fannies again this year.

BOHICA

Tambo wrote: Image

Tim wrote: You're starting to creep me out here a bit Tambo

Wolf wrote: You had me until you said the money goes to state troopers.

Jared wrote: Might as well.... The rest of the money from this league will be going to a State Trooper.....

Tim wrote: Be honest - its going to your wife, we all know who the real chief is over there

And... scene.
Last edited by TheWolf on 21 Apr 2016, 09:01, edited 1 time in total.
- SGSW
TheWolf
Hand-Holder

Postby Frank the Tank » 21 Apr 2016, 09:00

I was in this league for one season. I am quite certain that Jared and I would me mortal enemies by now, agreeing to joust to the death using Swiffers and shopping carts at the local Big Y.
2015 SOTSG Fantasy Football Champion

BostonSucksMyBalls 11/2/2016: "I hate the internet. No accountability. Just a wasteland of shitheads."
Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet

Postby Magnum » 21 Apr 2016, 09:23

This Jared guy sucks. Wow.
Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:49 pm MisterTambourineMan you're salt of the earth, jike. like, a lot of salt.
Magnum
Better Than You

Postby MisterTambourineMan » 21 Apr 2016, 09:48

Ha! Forgot about the Ren and Stimpy one.

I think Jeff was the MVP of that exchange. Really upped everyone's game.
MisterTambourineMan
Now

Postby Iron Mike Sharpe » 21 Apr 2016, 10:01

People still play fantasy sports in 2106? Thought that shit died out 5 years ago.
Iron Mike Sharpe
Full of good cheer

Postby Colonel Angus » 21 Apr 2016, 10:03

Iron Mike Sharpe wrote:People still play fantasy sports in 2106? Thought that shit died out 5 years ago.

In 2101?

/me'd
"Isn't it no, baas or something? That's how I read it in a boxing book. It's South African or something."
- _, on Roberto Duran.
_ - Sun Jan 31 5:06 pm:
"it was such a sexy goal, that punched me right in the balls. metaphorically"
Colonel Angus
Pun DMC

Postby The Long Dick of the Law » 21 Apr 2016, 12:07

"Let's all be adults and play a fucking game" classic
mister bacon love watching soccer. baseball is about as exciting as scratching my balls.
MisterTambourineMan you're not scratching your balls right, then.
The Long Dick of the Law
TRU Patriot

Postby TheWolf » 21 Apr 2016, 12:14

The Long Dick of the Law wrote:"Let's all be adults and play a fucking game" classic

Haha, touche.
- SGSW
TheWolf
Hand-Holder

Postby TheWolf » 21 Apr 2016, 21:20

Text from Jared this morning: "If you're going to reverse the trades, can you do it before Price pitches today so I don't get screwed?"

I was actually planning to do that, but then I realized some of the players involved in the trades have since been dropped and picked up by other teams, so I really just didn't want to deal with figuring that shit out, and ignored it all day. Price got rocked today. Shockingly, I haven't heard a word from Jared about not getting him back on his team in time to make that start.
- SGSW
TheWolf
Hand-Holder

Next

Return to Sue Clinton Portis