Random Thoughts - Fantasy Sports Edition

Fantasy Sports

Random Thoughts - Fantasy Sports Edition

Postby Colonel Angus » 28 Jan 2015, 09:21

I just got a survey from NFL.com about an NFL Draft fantasy game they are going to try out this year.

How it works: While each league could be customized with regard to number of teams participating and roster size, a standard draft would be ten rounds in a “snake” draft format. For example, if you have the first pick in round one, you would have the last pick in round two, and then again the first pick in round three. Also, assuming a league of 8-12 teams (similar to a regular fantasy league) ten man rosters would ensure that players on fantasy teams are being selected on each of the three days of the Draft.

Scoring: Each Draft slot would be assigned a point value. The Draft slot with the highest point value would be the first overall selection at the 256 points, the point values would descend sequentially, ending at one point for the 256th and final player selection on Day 3. If a player on a fantasy team is not selected, the participant would receive zero points for that selection.

So, taking the 2014 Draft as an example:

• Jadeveon Clowney (1st pick overall) would count for 256 points
• Johnny Manziel (22nd pick overall) would count for 235 points
• Michael Sam (249th pick overall) would count for 8 points
• Conner Shaw (undrafted) would count for 0 points

Interesting that the examples they chose are all guys who are Cocks, cocks, or cock-lovers. :corn:

This game sounds terrible. I'm in.
"Isn't it no, baas or something? That's how I read it in a boxing book. It's South African or something."
- _, on Roberto Duran.
_ - Sun Jan 31 5:06 pm:
"it was such a sexy goal, that punched me right in the balls. metaphorically"
Colonel Angus
Pun DMC

Re: Random Thoughts - Fantasy Sports Edition

Postby TheWolf » 28 Jan 2015, 09:45

Yeah, that sounds fucking stupid. Looking forward to playing.
"our kayaking guy sucked and came last"
- SGSW
TheWolf
Hand-Holder

Postby SouthernYokel » 30 Jan 2015, 10:37

i think you'd have to limit the picks to 2nd rounders. picking the 1st round is pointless. if you start it with the 1st pick of the 2nd round and you have a penalty if your player is drafted in the 1st round it might be kinda interesting.
JT99 wrote:imagine working your entire board life on being a guy investigating every nook and cranny of others' sexual lives only to have some drunken baboon stumble into the r&t jackpot
SouthernYokel
Hank the Hangover Turtle

Postby Frank the Tank » 08 Oct 2015, 12:14

Had a win switch to a loss in my most expensive league due to a stat correction. Fantasy football makes me feel way too much rage.
2015 SOTSG Fantasy Football Champion

BostonSucksMyBalls 11/2/2016: "I hate the internet. No accountability. Just a wasteland of shitheads."
Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet

Postby Colonel Angus » 08 Oct 2015, 12:17

Frank the Tank wrote:Had a win switch to a loss in my most expensive league due to a stat correction. Fantasy football makes me feel way too much rage.

In my league, any time a game is within 1.5 points there is a chance it will change because sacks are worth 1.5 points for defenses and the NFL seems to frequently change whether and when sacks are awarded. So if you squeak out a close one you don't feel safe until the following Wednesday or whenever the official stats are set in stone.
"Isn't it no, baas or something? That's how I read it in a boxing book. It's South African or something."
- _, on Roberto Duran.
Colonel Angus
Pun DMC

Postby Frank the Tank » 06 Dec 2015, 08:11

Random question:

Imagine a fantasy football league that's fairly standard in roster size and scoring (nine starting spots, seven bench spots) with twelve contestants. Eleven of these contestants will engage in a standard snake draft, with the top five advancing to the playoffs starting week 14. However, there are no waivers. The twelfth contestant will then draft a team from everyone not selected in the draft after the conclusion of week 13's games, and automatically get the 6th seed in the playoffs. Prize fund is winner-take-all. Would you rather draft in the initial draft and have first crack at 176 players or have the information of 13 weeks?

I'll hold my follow-up question until you've had a chance to contemplate this situation.

BostonSucksMyBalls 11/2/2016: "I hate the internet. No accountability. Just a wasteland of shitheads."
Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet

Postby Colonel Angus » 06 Dec 2015, 09:28

With fantasy football playoffs being a complete crapshoot, I'm leaning toward taking the guaranteed playoff spot. But man, your roster will be pretty terrible most years, especially at QB. Probably find some pretty good RBs though.
- _, on Roberto Duran.
Colonel Angus
Pun DMC

Postby Rodney Farva » 06 Dec 2015, 09:33

i wouldn't want to be in that league either way, neither option sounds like much fun. if you're in the regular cohort, having no waivers would be pretty constricting, particularly if you have injuries - which almost everyone does. if you're the one with the pass to the playoffs, you're going to have a hard time paying attention to the league when you're not playing week by week. i don't entirely agree with colonel that your roster would be shitty, you probably would end up with good RBs and WRs, a good K, decent if not great Defense, and someone like a cutler would probably be available so you could get by at QB.
You coin contrarian bro and say shit nonsense like this.
Rodney Farva
Your real father

Postby Frank the Tank » 06 Dec 2015, 10:36

Rodney Farva wrote:i wouldn't want to be in that league either way, neither option sounds like much fun.

We're not really going to do it. Just a thought experiment as it were.

This discussion came up because our work league resets the waiver priority every single week. The sucky teams are guaranteed to get top waiver priority week in and week out. A team that was 1-6 is now 6-6 and has turned itself into an absolute beast purely from the waiver wire. I play them this week, and if they win they'll make the playoffs at 7-6 and I think they'll run the table for the crown. Being horrible at the beginning of the season has really worked out for them. We were debating whether this is the way it would be every single season, or if it was fluky this season. This led to this hypothetical discussion.

Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet

Postby chrisco » 06 Dec 2015, 11:01

Would you draft 3 qbs in this league? I'd strongly consider making my 3rd to last pick a QB3.
BostonSucksMyBalls - Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:03 am: I listen bc ive listened for about 25 years. I need to see this stupid thing thru.
chrisco
Madoff

Postby Frank the Tank » 06 Dec 2015, 12:51

chrisco wrote:Would you draft 3 qbs in this league? I'd strongly consider making my 3rd to last pick a QB3.

No. 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 1 Flex, 1 K, 1 DST. So in theory six of your seven bench slots would be needed to cover bye weeks.

Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet

Postby chrisco » 06 Dec 2015, 13:23

Frank the Tank wrote:
chrisco wrote:Would you draft 3 qbs in this league? I'd strongly consider making my 3rd to last pick a QB3.

No. 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 1 Flex, 1 K, 1 DST. So in theory six of your seven bench slots would be needed to cover bye weeks.

I'm not sold. My strategy would be to try to get 5th place and make the playoffs but have the best set of options available for my first playoff game.

I'd grab a K & DST from the same bye week, not take any replacements for them and effectively tank that game.

I might actually put the TE on that bye as well if I couldn't grab a marquee guy.

That would then leave me picking between WR5, RB4, or QB3 with that pick. Without knowing who I had going into that pick, I'd probably take a 5th WR but would strongly consider QB3 if one of my QBs was injury prone and the other meh(ish).

1 QB
2 WR
3 RB
4 WR
5 RB
6 WR
7 RB
8 TE
9 QB2
10 WR
11 ???
12 K
13 DST
BostonSucksMyBalls - Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:03 am: I listen bc ive listened for about 25 years. I need to see this stupid thing thru.
chrisco
Madoff

Postby Colonel Angus » 06 Dec 2015, 18:30

My money league uses 5 bench slots, so it is a little shallower than what you are talking about, but here is what would be left this year in our league from the undrafted players at each position, in order of total points this year going into Week 13 (with position rank in parentheses):

QB:
1. Carr (6)
2. Cousins (10)
3. Bortles (16)
4. Alex Smith (17)
5. Fitzpatrick (18)

RB:
1. Chris Johnson (16)
2. Rawls (20)
3. Langford (26)
4. David Johnson (27)
5. Starks (28)

WR:
1. Austin (11)
2. Benjamin (12)
3. Hurns (15)
4. Baldwin (19)
5. James Jones (25)

TE:
1. Barnidge (3)
2. Reed (7)
3. Watson (8)
4. Rodgers (10)
5. Gillmore (13)

Yuck. Give me one of the drafted teams.
- _, on Roberto Duran.
Colonel Angus
Pun DMC

Postby Frank the Tank » 06 Dec 2015, 18:49

I think I would take the undrafted team. Who's going to take Deangelo Williams if they only expect to use him for two weeks? There are some very good options available. I think the lack of waiver options for the drafted teams plus injuries would make it the preferred option.

Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet

Postby Colonel Angus » 07 Dec 2015, 09:55

Frank the Tank wrote:I think I would take the undrafted team. Who's going to take Deangelo Williams if they only expect to use him for two weeks? There are some very good options available. I think the lack of waiver options for the drafted teams plus injuries would make it the preferred option.

Yeah, the no waivers thing is the kicker. Deangelo was drafted in my league, but might not have been if that owner knew he would have to carry him all year. Still, I think I'd rather risk it with a team full of actually good players.
- _, on Roberto Duran.
Colonel Angus
Pun DMC

Next

Return to Sue Clinton Portis