I'm a FF commissioner for the first time...

Fantasy Sports

Re: I'm a FF commissioner for the first time...

Postby Frank the Tank » 18 Dec 2009, 08:30

If you're a fantasy football commissioner for the first time, here's a hint: make sure you don't work at Fidelity Investments.
2015 SOTSG Fantasy Football Champion

BostonSucksMyBalls 11/2/2016: "I hate the internet. No accountability. Just a wasteland of shitheads."
Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet

Postby Montecore's Revenge » 16 Jul 2010, 22:36

Question for the board: I've been the commissioner of a CBS league for six years now. We do a live draft, and it's a lot of fun. We've used the stickers-and-board method to keep track of our draft picks. It works very well, but it's tedious. I'm thinking about switching over to a computerized system (just plugging my laptop into my TV via HDMI). I've seen a few such programs available online, but I don't know one from the other. Do any of you guys use one of these to keep track of your drafts? If so, which one do you prefer? I'm guessing most people just draft online, but I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction before I shell out $30 or so for one of these.
Montecore's Revenge
The Angel of Death

Postby Frank the Tank » 17 Jul 2010, 20:41

Montecore's Revenge wrote:Question for the board: I've been the commissioner of a CBS league for six years now. We do a live draft, and it's a lot of fun. We've used the stickers-and-board method to keep track of our draft picks. It works very well, but it's tedious. I'm thinking about switching over to a computerized system (just plugging my laptop into my TV via HDMI). I've seen a few such programs available online, but I don't know one from the other. Do any of you guys use one of these to keep track of your drafts? If so, which one do you prefer? I'm guessing most people just draft online, but I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction before I shell out $30 or so for one of these.

I've subscribed to footballguys.com for a couple years now, and they have a program you can use for free if you're a subscriber. I think it's $25/yr to join. It's not bad, but I've never used any other one so I can't compare.

BostonSucksMyBalls 11/2/2016: "I hate the internet. No accountability. Just a wasteland of shitheads."
Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet

Postby Montecore's Revenge » 17 Jul 2010, 20:48

Frank the Tank wrote:I've subscribed to footballguys.com for a couple years now, and they have a program you can use for free if you're a subscriber. I think it's $25/yr to join. It's not bad, but I've never used any other one so I can't compare.

Thanks - I'll check it out. I'm basically just looking for something that can approximate the board by using my TV (big enough so everyone in the room can see, players color-coded by position, etc).
Montecore's Revenge
The Angel of Death

Postby Durden » 05 Aug 2010, 23:15

sonz.. could use a couple of guys to round out an auction league draft. will be between $10 and $20 to play. owners in the league are knowledgeable and active, but none of us have very much experience with the auction format.

PM me if interested.
i used to be commander and chief of my pimp ship.

2008 Who's Now
BSMB: poor nerf. You had a fine year. One and DUN, yo.
Durden
Smartest Guy In The Room

Postby Montecore's Revenge » 25 Aug 2010, 21:59

Frank the Tank wrote:
Montecore's Revenge wrote:Question for the board: I've been the commissioner of a CBS league for six years now. We do a live draft, and it's a lot of fun. We've used the stickers-and-board method to keep track of our draft picks. It works very well, but it's tedious. I'm thinking about switching over to a computerized system (just plugging my laptop into my TV via HDMI). I've seen a few such programs available online, but I don't know one from the other. Do any of you guys use one of these to keep track of your drafts? If so, which one do you prefer? I'm guessing most people just draft online, but I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction before I shell out $30 or so for one of these.

I've subscribed to footballguys.com for a couple years now, and they have a program you can use for free if you're a subscriber. I think it's $25/yr to join. It's not bad, but I've never used any other one so I can't compare.

I wound up going with FanDraft Football. I have to say that it's impressive so far. There are a ton of bells and whistles, but the functional stuff actually works well. It has an auto-draft feature if someone no-shows that also updates the player database constantly. So, for example, when I download the latest database update right before my draft, Sidney Rice will be considerably lower than he would have been a few weeks ago.

It also pulls off something that will help in my league tremendously. I'm a huge proponent of a live draft because it's a fun way to spend an afternoon every year with friends. However, with everyone in the league now in their 30's, sometimes irritating problems crop up that cause these guys to miss the draft (women, kids, work). In years past, that one guy who misses the draft has really been a pain in the ass, because someone has to pick for him. But the FanDraft system does something really neat that allows a hybrid draft to be pretty smooth:

There's an add-on feature that allows you to do a live draft board on your computer, but also to send a version of the board out remotely that the no-shows can see in any web browser or on a smartphone. This isn't some kind of convoluted "share screen" function. It's a separate feature. That way, the guys who aren't there can just text picks when they come up. It's actually a pretty cool way to have the full experience of a live draft while still being able to include the no-shows in a way that doesn't slow you down much.

FanDraft costs $35.00, but you only have to buy it once. You can update your version each year for $15-$17. My final verdict won't be in until I actually run this draft on Sunday, but, so far, so good.
Montecore's Revenge
The Angel of Death

Postby Frank the Tank » 18 Nov 2010, 10:12

If the NFLPA's recent labor proposal becomes a contract, and we do move to a 20-week season with two byes per team, how would you structure your fantasy leagues? Sixteen game season with playoffs in 17-19?

Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet

Postby Fletch » 18 Nov 2010, 11:58

Frank the Tank wrote:If the NFLPA's recent labor proposal becomes a contract, and we do move to a 20-week season with two byes per team, how would you structure your fantasy leagues? Sixteen game season with playoffs in 17-19?

Sure sounds logical.
nasty nova wrote:I'm a meaningless piece of shit
Fletch
The Bomb Dick

Postby ctz31 » 22 Dec 2011, 10:36

Got a bruhaha going on on our fantasy basketball message board right now. It's an auction league and we had our draft Sunday night. Last year's league settings were 34 games played per week from your lineup. Can start as many guys, and whoever you want each night, but once you get to 34 games played you're done. It's the same this year, but now due to the lockout, teams are going to be playing several more games a week. This will obviously benefit the top heavy teams and hurt the more balanced teams, that didn't spend on superstars and have more depth. Those teams are clamoring to have games played changed to 42 a week to reflect an 82 game season. I say tough shit, you knew the rules before the draft. Wonder what the resolution will be.
ctz31
#nnf

Postby ctz31 » 03 Jan 2012, 09:19

Liked what my buddy did in our one league this year. Playoffs ended in wk 16. We had a skin system during the year, where highest pts. per week took home $25. For week 17, he took a skin from any team that won at least one during the year, and did a dog meat contest for wk 17. 1QB, 1RB, 1WR, 1TE, 1flex. Winner take all. You needed to win one during the year to be eligible. I won $200 in wk 17 w Brady/McGahee/Megatron/Cruz/Keller. Nice little win, and made wk 17 exciting.

As for the actual season, my team dominated all the last 3 wks of the year....starting one week after i was eliminated from playoffs. #-o
ctz31
#nnf

Postby Frank the Tank » 19 Nov 2012, 10:00

The commissioner of one of my leagues died over the weekend. He was 50 years old. He was in poor shape but otherwise had no major illnesses. All I did was bitch about what a poor commissioner he was. Now I feel really bad. :oops:

Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet

Postby Rodney Farva » 19 Nov 2012, 10:14

sorry for your lost. thoughts and prayers.
You coin contrarian bro and say shit nonsense like this.
Rodney Farva
Your real father

Postby Colonel Angus » 19 Nov 2012, 10:20

Frank the Tank wrote:The commissioner of one of my leagues died over the weekend. He was 50 years old. He was in poor shape but otherwise had no major illnesses. All I did was bitch about what a poor commissioner he was. Now I feel really bad. :oops:

That's probably what killed him.
"Isn't it no, baas or something? That's how I read it in a boxing book. It's South African or something."
- _, on Roberto Duran.
_ - Sun Jan 31 5:06 pm:
"it was such a sexy goal, that punched me right in the balls. metaphorically"
Colonel Angus
Pun DMC

Postby Frank the Tank » 19 Nov 2012, 11:04

Turns out I play him in week 12. Leaning towards benching all my players. He never collected any of the money so I think no one's going to get paid anyways.

Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet

Postby SDGuy » 12 Aug 2014, 23:50

Anyone have any creative (but non labor intensive) ways to determine a draft order? 95% chance I'm letting Yahoo! randomize it, but if someone has something different I'll go with that.
Montecore's Revenge wrote:Protip: When you slit your wrists make sure you go north-south and not east-west. It will be harder for them to save you and it won't send out as much of a "just a cry for help, not a serious attempt" vibe
SDGuy
Basketball Jesus

PreviousNext

Return to Sue Clinton Portis