Tek

The Boston Red Sox

Tek

Postby Frank the Tank » 18 Nov 2004, 11:47

It looks like the Sox have seriously started turning their attention to another catcher to replace Varitek since Boras (hereinafter referred to as "Scum") seems to really be stuck on 5/$55M with a no-trade. I'd hate to see Tek go more than any other player on the team (I still get a goofy grin on my face just thinking about him smacking ARod to start the July 24th brawl), but I couldn't hold it against Theo if he said that's simply too much. How much credit can you give for the intangible "heart and soul of the team" aspect?

Maybe offer him 3/$30M with a Sosa-esque option that kicks in for year four at $12M if he's traded? (note: I need to give credit to The Wolf for that idea) It gives him a feeling of stability knowing that it'll be difficult for the Sox to trade him over the next three years, but keeps the Red Sox from stretching out their commitments too far. If Scum thinks that's insulting, then it's time for him to try to do better elsewhere I guess.
Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet

Postby Rickey Sez » 18 Nov 2004, 11:57

No way in hell does anybody a) give Tek 5 years and/or b) pay him an average of $11 mil. a year. It will not happen.

Wait.. scratch that. Rickey forgot about the Mets. They'll do anything as long as it's really, really stupid.

Seriously, Rickey doesn't see 'Tek going anywhere but Boston. Who else is really all that interested, anyway? 3/27 with some sort of option for a 4th year should get the job done... and even that's a little steep. If the Sox give 'Tek a no-trade clause, the total $ could be lower.

Pedro and 'Tek are staying.
Rickey Sez
( O )( O )

Tek

Postby Frank the Tank » 18 Nov 2004, 13:20

I completely agree he'll never get five years or $11M per, but the Sox can't wait for him to explore all options then go another route in a couple months. They should just make him a best and final offer soon and then move on if Boras is going to stonewall them.

I see that the White Sox have gone so far as to say they don't intend to sign any Boras clients given his penchant for overvaluing them. Now if only the other 29 teams would come out with similar statements...
Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet

Re: Tek

Postby Rickey Sez » 18 Nov 2004, 13:29

Frank the Tank wrote:but the Sox can't wait for him to explore all options then go another route in a couple months.

That's why they made the offer to Damien Miller. 'Tek's eventual signing -- wherever he ends up -- will take a while happen, precisely because no team should be willing to give in to Boras's demands. So if you get Miller in the meantime, great. If you sign Varitek, blammo, Miller's your backup for 2005. If you don't, fine, cuz Miller's still pretty good and you have yourself a starting catcher.

(Just think... if the Sox sign Damien Miller, they could potentially have a Miller, a Mueller, and a Millar in their starting 9)
Rickey Sez
( O )( O )

Postby Dunking Donut » 18 Nov 2004, 18:31

I say 3/24. How many catchers get more (besides I-Rod and Piazza?). Tek's a great catcher and above average offensively for the position. Still, at 33, how much is in the tank? I'm comfortable with 'belli at $2M a year (being generous).
Dunking Donut
The Bomb Dick

tek

Postby thedudeabides » 18 Nov 2004, 21:13

lets talk about how most agents are greedy pigs. And ruin teams by pulling their meaningfull players away by convincing them they need all this money and security. We all know all agents really want is money.....that's why they are agents. If baseball means more to him than money then he should take the best offer Boston gives him. They want him to stay but they shouldn't have to overpay....... damn agents.....
thedudeabides
OG's sponsor

Postby Snake » 19 Nov 2004, 02:49

Boras is an idiot. He thinks that gettin IRod his money in Detroit (look out, plenty of championships there) qualifies him to make these ridiculous demands. Of course a guy like Tek can get a ton of money playing for a lousy team. I'll be real disappointed in the guy if he cashes in and signs somewhere like Seattle. Tek, ask one Jason Giambi about the value of an extra 5 mil a year weighed against your legacy as a ball player?
Let me be very clear. I AM NOT A 49ers FAN!!!

I am the Beer Pong Jesus. If you want a shot at my title, bring it on. BPong.com

~Keep fighting the good fight to get someone else nicknamed Jake the Snake

~Peyton Manning SUCKS
Snake
Basketball Jesus

Postby Rickey Sez » 19 Nov 2004, 08:57

As long as the Mets and Tigers are around, someone will always sign players to ridiculous contracts.

Getting off topic for a moment -- has any team ever made so many obviously awful signings and trades as these recent Mets teams? If Rickey were a Mets fan, Rickey would have shot himself in the head over that Kazmir/Zambrano trade.
Rickey Sez
( O )( O )

Postby Tecmo Bo » 19 Nov 2004, 09:21

I heard Rickey is signing with the Mets...
bosux191820042090: what kills more is that now more than ever the team needs him[A-Rod] to put it on his back, and he can't...i hate to say this, but if given a choice i would rather have ortiz on my team any day
Tecmo Bo
The Bomb Dick

Postby Frank the Tank » 19 Nov 2004, 09:44

Rickey Sez wrote:Getting off topic for a moment -- has any team ever made so many obviously awful signings and trades as these recent Mets teams?

Sure, the 1990 Whalers. Ron Francis, Ulf Samuelsson, and Grant Jennings for John Cullen, Zarley Zalapski, and Jeff Parker. Fourteen years later that still gets my blood boiling.

However the Kazmir/Zambrano trade suggests the Mets are serious about making a run for the all-time bad trade title. Just watch them give up some good prospects for Sosa. Yeah, I know they don't need to, but they'll find a way to make that bad trade worse.
Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet

Postby Rickey Sez » 19 Nov 2004, 09:46

Wow. Rickey forgot all about Jeff Parker.

Remember how much John Cullen sucked in NHL Hockey (Sega)? He was like the Anti-Roenick.
Rickey Sez
( O )( O )

Postby Frank the Tank » 19 Nov 2004, 09:51

Rickey Sez wrote:Remember how much John Cullen sucked in NHL Hockey (Sega)?

He was horrible in NHL '93, but thankfully Frank Pietrangelo was a stonewall in the net. Way more reliable than Sega Peter Sidorkiewicz. Most importantly, NHL '93 still had fighting and blood after great hits. Ahh, the good ol' days when the NHL had a sense of humor...
Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet

Postby Rickey Sez » 19 Nov 2004, 10:03

Ah yes! Frank Pietrangelo!

How'd we wind up with him? Wasn't he goaltending in the forests of Canada somewhere -- seriously -- when the Whalers gave him a call?

And I always forget what the deal with Sean Burke was. Wasn't he out of the NHL for several years til The Whale came calling?
Rickey should really just start a Whalers thread.
Last edited by Rickey Sez on 19 Nov 2004, 10:58, edited 1 time in total.
Rickey Sez
( O )( O )

tek

Postby thedudeabides » 19 Nov 2004, 10:49

why are we talking about hockey?
thedudeabides
OG's sponsor

Postby Tecmo Bo » 19 Nov 2004, 10:54

Because we'd rather talk about Hockey than watch Hockey...
bosux191820042090: what kills more is that now more than ever the team needs him[A-Rod] to put it on his back, and he can't...i hate to say this, but if given a choice i would rather have ortiz on my team any day
Tecmo Bo
The Bomb Dick

Next

Return to Just another team.